• Announcements

• iacas

Snell 20% Off   11/24/2017

TST Partner Snell Golf is having a 20% off Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale! Check it out at snellgolf.com.
Sign in to follow this  
meenman

Alcohol helps distance

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

Did anyone catch the small article in July's Golf digest?

Apparently a couple of drinks putting you at the legal drunk limit can improve distance off the tee while you may not hit it quite as straight.

Doubling up on that appears to decrease distance again - but it kind of validates my experience that a couple of beers can improve a round, while a bit too much can shove it back downhill again.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Missed it but will look later. Some of my best days on the course are playing with a buzz. It's the next day I don't play well.

Relaxation, not so much thinking...

Alcohol is soooo individual -- I can nurse a Crown Royal and 7 during a round and gain more enjoyment than not having it.

Others can't handle alcohol, some can handle more ... use common sense.

I've known a good cigar to offer similar benefits as alcohol. But when I get past the midpoint, it's time to stop. Tough to nurse a cigar... the Crown and 7 is nurse-able.

Alcohol and golf doesn't mix for me. One beer and I'm digging trenches behind the ball. Played in a scramble a couple of years ago and had 33 beers during the round. I didn't play my best. Don't know why though. On the other hand, I can bowl quite well with a few beers under the belt.

I missed this, but I'll go back and look for that article. It shouldn't surprise me that there's a Ballmer peak for golf. I drink plenty, but I try to avoid alcohol or caffeine within 24 hours of playing golf. I used to keep a flask of Scotch in my bag, but I no longer do so; among other things, even having it isn't consistent (to me) with trying my best each round. But hey, if it would help, maybe I should. [quote name="vangator" url="/t/75747/alcohol-helps-distance#post_1019428"]On the other hand, I can bowl quite well with a few beers under the belt.[/quote] Most of us consume our beers above the neck, but I suck at bowling, so maybe I should give your technique a shot.

I used to be able to play some of my best golf with a good buzz but I don't drink near as much anymore and it just doesn't do that anymore.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2017 TST Partners

Talamore Golf Resort
    PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    Mission Belt
    Snell Golf
    Frogger Golf
    PitchFix USA
    • Lol, I like both those movies you hated. Loved? No, but I liked them. I also liked Vanilla Sky too in spite of its flaws. To each his own I guess, and perhaps therein lies the rub that's makes % ratings unreliable more often than not. Or maybe I'm just a sucker for Tom Cruise vanity projects.  But I agree that Rotten Tomatoes doesn't help much at all in determining whether I'll enjoy a movie or not. It's still interesting to browse though, just to see where the pulse of the American critic is, if little else.  I also agree that the discrepancy between critic and audience score is a fascinating one to see when it happens. That's a fun list on that link. Let's see... what are some "bad" movies that I still enjoyed... The 13th Floor (1999) was 29% but with a 67% audience score. A totally flawed movie overshadowed by the Matrix, but still a fun sci-fi journey i think with interesting ideas in it.  I enjoyed Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (2012) that is 55% critic and 53% audience. I dunno, I thought it was a nice story... plus the Writer-Director lady is from the same town as me in NJ, so I always found that interesting that we grew up drinking the same water.  I've always loved the Cable Guy (1996) which is 54%, 51% respectively. Man, people really hated this movie when it came out, but I've always found it hilarious.  I thought Primer (2004) was an ambitious and cool sci-fi movie made on a shoestring budget. I'm not sure how it has only 72% from the critics given what they accomplished on a per dollar scale. Cool story that no doubt has its flaws.  One recent movie that I quite enjoyed that was totally panned (and for good reason) was Passengers (2016). It currently stands at 30%, 63%. Perhaps its just its basic log line that I like, as the film itself kind of loses its way at times. I certainly wouldn't fault people for thinking it was boring or lame as its execution and linear script was pretty banal at times, I admit.  But this random Youtuber made a really cool video about how to make the script for Passengers better, and I 100% agree with his suggestions. This is a pretty cool video if you've seen the movie already. His version is way better.  I think if they took this guy's suggestions, that 30% critic score would be above 65%.   
    • I'm not sure if this is what he meant, but I think you can you use the "feel ain't real" to your advantage. Meaning, if the feel seems right but the results are wrong (or video shows it's wrong), you can exaggerate a move to the point where it feels wrong and it might closer. Example... if I feel my head is remaining stable but video shows I'm moving it towards the target as I get to the top of my backswing, I might change to the point where I feel like I'm moving back away from the target. On video, that feel produces a steadier head. Does that make sense? That's not to say that feel will always work. In fact, there's a good chance it will not. Edit: I didn't realize this is exactly what @klinekahad posted. (it's good to know I'm not the only one who has used that feel). Anyway, maybe that's what @Buckeyebowmanmeant with his response.
    • He's played with every president. That's remaining neutral. You either play with none of 'em or all of 'em.
  • Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. golf755
      golf755
      (28 years old)
    2. PaddyMac
      PaddyMac
      (48 years old)
  • Get Great Gear with Amazon

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...