IGNORED

Cure the shanks

Note: This thread is 3399 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

^ wow, never seen anything like that !     Agreed, shank proof golf would be a far easier game ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

ive played for lil over 20 years.never everrrrrrr shanked a ball until about 3 years ago.they will come and go.you will try everything different to stop it from happening.i actually experimented different things till I got rid of them but they come back.they are supposedly mental but it really doesn't take much to shank a shot because your only talking being off by an inch and that can come from a number of things.i think its something that after its finally happened to you that it stays with you forever in the back of your mind.i bought a set of the Cleveland vas irons and thought man itll be nice to not have to worry about shanking but those clubs totally suck for me anyways.i could not get anywhere near my average distance with other clubs with them.i couldn't hit an 8 iron much over 100 yards with them but that was on the range.i never tried em on course but since my shanks have been gone awhile it don't matter.only paid like 70 bucks for them so not much of a loss.

Shanks occur when the club moves too close to the ball on the downswing, possible causes are

1) You are holding the lag angle too much and coming from the inside too much

2) You are coming over the top

3)You are casting from the top of the swing losing the lag too soon and flipping the club over on impact

4)You are moving your upper body closer to the ball on the back swing, not achieving a deep enough hip turn

:)

Shanks occur when the club moves too close to the ball on the downswing, possible causes are

1) You are holding the lag angle too much and coming from the inside too much

2) You are coming over the top

3)You are casting from the top of the swing losing the lag too soon and flipping the club over on impact

4)You are moving your upper body closer to the ball on the back swing, not achieving a deep enough hip turn

:)

99.9% of golfers don't have to worry about #1 ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 5 months later...

I have been working with a new instructor to try and improve my swing. Its work in progress right now, but in the mean time I have been battling a case of the shanks. My instructor is away for a bit so I can't run it by him yet, but I tried the drill below from David Leadbetter and it worked right away for me. Basically address the ball with the hosel and try and hit off the toe. I hit a couple off the toe (which is still 100 times better than a shank) and then magically hit center of clubhead. All decent shots..

But I've managed to hit the ball dead on the hosel, not in the corner. I'll tell you that this is difficult to do. I've also hit the ball on the inside of the hosel and sent it left. That's even more difficult.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Shacks can happen from coming too far from the inside as well, not always over the top. You get the sweet spot moving too far out and you'll shank it.

Colin P.

But I've managed to hit the ball dead on the hosel, not in the corner. I'll tell you that this is difficult to do. I've also hit the ball on the inside of the hosel and sent it left . That's even more difficult.

That's seriously bad! :-)

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

But I've managed to hit the ball dead on the hosel, not in the corner. I'll tell you that this is difficult to do. I've also hit the ball on the inside of the hosel and sent it left. That's even more difficult.

[quote name="vangator" url="/t/75772/cure-the-shanks/18#post_1090155"] That's seriously bad! :-)[/quote] I've done once before, two years ago in the spring, coming back from not playing all winter. It was so bad the ball actually went between my legs!:-P My current instructor saw that and just about fell over laughing when it happened. I still haven't managed to live it down...

I've done once before, two years ago in the spring, coming back from not playing all winter. It was so bad the ball actually went between my legs!:-P My current instructor saw that and just about fell over laughing when it happened. I still haven't managed to live it down...

That could hurt! :~(

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

That's seriously bad!

Tell me about it. When I hit a bad shot it's a bad shot. I did it in front of my instructor, too. I wanted to hide.

Then one of our better players gets a case of the shanks during a round. I started it off once. She was having a good round, and I shanked one right into the river (lateral hazard - I still managed a bogey), and there it was in her mind, like a bad disease.

Maybe I need these:

http://thesandtrap.com/b/clubs/f2_wedge_review

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Not a fan of those forward face clubs. I've tried them. They can really dig in. I don't believe they have much bounce.

Note: This thread is 3399 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!