IGNORED

Are you ready for some NFL Football? 2014 Edition.

phan52
Note: This thread is 3281 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Also, the whole "they shouldn't be punished unless they were warned first" only makes sense when you're talking about things that someone might reasonably think is okay to do.  Like putting the ball next to the sideline heater.  Here, they secretly removed the balls, and hid in a bathroom to deflate them.  They knew there was a rule--even Brady admitted that.

I can get the "I don't care if people break rules so long as it doesn't really affect the outcome."  I completely disagree with it for a multitude of reasons, but I can understand it.  But I cannot for the life of me figure out why anyone would read this report and think these guys aren't guilty.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really, I urge you all to read the report.

No thanks.  Not a Pats fan, and not a Pats hater.  It's fun to talk about on here just to kill time, but I really, really cannot stress how little I actually care about this whole thing.  I clicked on the link and once I saw that it was a 243 page report, I closed that tab immediately.

I appreciate all of the other points you made.  They are all solid. :beer:

But 243 pages of proof to come to the conclusion that maybe the Patriots balls were a pound under-inflated?  No thanks.

No thanks.  Not a Pats fan, and not a Pats hater.  It's fun to talk about on here just to kill time, but I really, really cannot stress how little I actually care about this whole thing.  I clicked on the link and once I saw that it was a 243 page report, I closed that tab immediately.

I appreciate all of the other points you made.  They are all solid.

But 243 pages of proof to come to the conclusion that maybe the Patriots balls were a pound under-inflated?  No thanks.

Comparatively the Ray Rice report was only 96 pages.

I think you guys defending the Pats are forgetting the importance Vegas betting comes into play.  If the game is in any way deemed to be tainted or that the NFL is not policing cheaters they will risk losing viewership and associated benefits that come from legalized and illegal gambling on the sport.  Does Brady still beat the Ravens if he has to use properly inflated balls?  Do the Pats make it into the Super Bowl.  Part of what killed boxing were the allegations that the sport was fixed and that some boxers were getting away with cheating.

Joe Paradiso

I appreciate all of the other points you made.  They are all solid.

Yeah, but 100 of those pages are the attachments.  I might post the "conclusion" section just to force you to read it!

But you do remember that the NFL sent out a memo after the Vikes game, right?  So now you agree that the NFL has to slam them, Right?  Right?  Right? :-)

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Yeah, but 100 of those pages are the attachments.  I might post the "conclusion" section just to force you to read it!

But you do remember that the NFL sent out a memo after the Vikes game, right?  So now you agree that the NFL has to slam them, Right?  Right?  Right?

Ha.  If the conclusion is a couple of pages (hopefully double spaced and big font ;)) then I might read it if you post it.

Yeah, that sounds vaguely familiar.  In which case, I'm not going to put up a fight if the NFL punishes them.

I guess what I really object to is the idea that this somehow takes away from their victories.  To me, it doesn't.  It just doesn't.  They push the boundaries of the rules - like everybody else in the league - and they (if true) got caught.  Fine em, take away a draft pick, whatever.  But I'm going to roll my eyes and scoff every time meenman tries to imply that the only reason they win is cuz they cheat.

But I'm going to roll my eyes and scoff every time meenman tries to imply that the only reason they win is cuz they cheat.

And until they prove they can win without cheating, i am right and just hope all of you set better examples for your kids than *role models* like belicheat and Tommy boy. I will say that my chowd friends from up north have been real quiet the last couple of days and only the truly uneducated are still sticking up for their hero. The majority of them are deeply disappointed in Tommy boy.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Yeah, that sounds vaguely familiar.  In which case, I'm not going to put up a fight if the NFL punishes them.

haha, I'll take it! :beer:

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

I think it is fine for people to not read the report if they do not want to. But then they really should be attempting to characterize the situation based on news reports (out of Boston??, LOL)

The report is particularly damning when viewed in light of the immediate statements after the issue came to light back in January.

There is also the fact that the Patriots promised full cooperation but then refused to allow the investigators access to McNalty (the self-described Deflator) for a follow-up interview after they got hold of the texts between him and Jastremski.  And Brady stonewalled as well.

The cover-up is always worse than the crime.  And both Brady AND the Patriots stonewalled the investigation in direct contradiction of what they claim they were going to do.

As to those who are hanging their hat on the "probable" language in the report, another way of saying it is that the preponderance of the evidence points to their guilt.  You cannot put someone in jail based on that standard, but you can sure get harshly punished based on that standard.   Just go ask OJ.  That was EXACTLY the standard by which he was found responsible for the deaths of Nicole and Ron and on which the multi-million dollar judgement against him was based.

I think the punishment will be much harsher than the little deal some are trying to frame this as.  PLUS, this is a second offense for the Patriots.  I'm thinking 8 games to a season for Tom, a season for Bill, $1,000,000 for the team plus loss of a first rounder.  Failing to fully cooperate, and lying to the investigators, is much worse than the underlying offense.  Lucky for Tom he lied to NFL investigators, not FBI ones.  Or he could be facing the treatment that Martha Stewart and Scooter Libby found themselves in.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I think the punishment will be much harsher than the little deal some are trying to frame this as.  PLUS, this is a second offense for the Patriots.  I'm thinking 8 games to a season for Tom, a season for Bill, $1,000,000 for the team plus loss of a first rounder.  Failing to fully cooperate, and lying to the investigators, is much worse than the underlying offense.  Lucky for Tom he lied to NFL investigators, not FBI ones.  Or he could be facing the treatment that Martha Stewart and Scooter Libby found themselves in.

No chance that this happens to the Golden Boy.  I would be shocked if he is suspended for more than 2 games.  I also doubt Bill will be punished, but agree that the standard set for Payton makes it possible.

Just don't forget who stood by Roger when he was caught lying about Ray Rice and claiming that Janay Rice had a role in causing Ray to knock her out cold

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

No chance that this happens to the Golden Boy.  I would be shocked if he is suspended for more than 2 games.  I also doubt Bill will be punished, but agree that the standard set for Payton makes it possible.

Just don't forget who stood by Roger when he was caught lying about Ray Rice and claiming that Janay Rice had a role in causing Ray to knock her out cold

I don't envision anyone will be suspended, I think they will have to forfeit draft picks and pay a fine.

Joe Paradiso

i am right.

Glad that's settled.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Glad that's settled.

Misrepresenting quotes like only a patsy fan can?

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Misrepresenting quotes like only a patsy fan can?

Didn't misrepresent. Your grammar was clear, and yours was an unqualified declarative statement. You are right until the Pats win another Super Bowl while simultaneously proving beyond any doubt that they're not cheating.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

The cover-up is always worse than the crime.

I honestly can't think of any scenarios - outside of Three's Company style sitcom shenanigans where people are lying about NOTHING - where the cover up is worse than the crime.

I honestly can't think of any scenarios - outside of Three's Company style sitcom shenanigans where people are lying about NOTHING - where the cover up is worse than the crime.

How about the Kennedy assassination or Benghazi.

Joe Paradiso

How about the Kennedy assassination or Benghazi.

Watergate, Obamacare.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

[URL=http://yourteamcheats.com]http://yourteamcheats.com[/URL] Hehe

One of the teams I like is guilty of...... a helmet-to-helmet hit and a roughing the passer penalty that resulted in fines. Football plays, not blatantly cheating and lying and covering it up and stifling the investigation.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Note: This thread is 3281 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!