IGNORED

Thoughts on Ray Rice getting (only) a 2 game suspension

MS256
Note: This thread is 3507 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Shouldn't he have gotten a six-game suspension since it is technically still his first offense? I love when people have these knee-jerk reactions just to save face.

Yeah, its all to save face.  There's no way the union can let the NFL increase a penalty that's already been handed down.  Its the employment law version of double jeopardy.  And on top of that, 6 game is the new policy, right? So I don't even think they can give him that.

But they will fight it, and lose, and pretend that makes them champions of women's rights.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah I'm curious if six games is even allowable since I'm not sure how retroactive punishments work in the NFL.

I'm sure the NFLPA is letting the dust settle here before they appeal the indefinite suspension.  NFL contracts aren't guaranteed so the Ravens were within their right to "cut" him, but he should be eligible to play for another team after his two week suspension is over.

The indefinite suspension won't hold up in court and I'm pretty sure the NFL won't want to drag this out deeper into the season so they will likely settle for a six game suspension which buys them enough time to ensure Rice gets blacklisted and isn't signed by another NFL team.

The suspension length is important to Rice because as long as he's "suspended" by the NFL, he can't play in the CFL either.

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Does anybody really believe that NFL and Ravens officials were unaware of the severity of what Rice did that day in the elevator? I call BS on that. They know what happened but, since there was no real prosecution for aggravated assault and his now wife was OK with it, they swept in under the rug.

This whole affair has done everybody a dis-service, from abused women to Rice himself.

Bill M

There are about 4 Ravens fans I'm Facebook friends with who have huge comment threads on their statuses defending Ray Rice.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

There are about 4 Ravens fans I'm Facebook friends with who have huge comment threads on their statuses defending Ray Rice.

You can't defend what Ray Rice did in the elevator to his fiancée, it was disgusting, even if you're a Ravens fan.

Had he not been the "test" case for DV, he would likely have been suspended 6 weeks, not been cut by the Ravens and not indefinitely suspended by the NFL.  None of us know the role he played in the cover up, so it's hard to distribute blame for the media frenzy and public backlash for how poorly Goodell and the NFL handled the entire situation from day one.

We'll see what happens to McDonald and Hardy.

Joe Paradiso

You can't defend what Ray Rice did in the elevator to his fiancée, it was disgusting, even if you're a Ravens fan.

Had he not been the "test" case for DV, he would likely have been suspended 6 weeks, not been cut by the Ravens and not indefinitely suspended by the NFL.  None of us know the role he played in the cover up, so it's hard to distribute blame for the media frenzy and public backlash for how poorly Goodell and the NFL handled the entire situation from day one.

We'll see what happens to McDonald and Hardy.

It seems in sports the major issue is "lying" about it. Look at MLB, a lot of those who came forward and said they took steroids are now pretty much forgiven in the public eye. A-Rod will never be forgiven by the fans or the MLB.

If Ray Rice somehow tried to cover this up, and lied to the NFL about some of the details. That usually warrants a bigger penalty than the actual act.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I don't think anyone here is defending Rice's actions. He definitely deserves punishment but it seems like the only reason he was cut from the Ravens and suspended indefinitely by the NFL was to improve their PR, and it grossly backfired. I don't know what they were expecting from the video - couple goes into elevator in midst of argument, boyfriend drags unconscious girlfriend out of elevator. What do you think happened in the elevator? I don't see how the video changes things that much. You'd think the guy murdered someone in broad daylight after reading and hearing all of the stuff on this.

-Rich

I don't think anyone here is defending Rice's actions. He definitely deserves punishment but it seems like the only reason he was cut from the Ravens and suspended indefinitely by the NFL was to improve their PR, and it grossly backfired. I don't know what they were expecting from the video - couple goes into elevator in midst of argument, boyfriend drags unconscious girlfriend out of elevator. What do you think happened in the elevator? I don't see how the video changes things that much. You'd think the guy murdered someone in broad daylight after reading and hearing all of the stuff on this.

To me his actions after knocking her out were extremely disturbing and they weren't as clearly known before the video.

A natural reaction (for most people) would be to immediately think "OMG what have I done?" and jump down there to make sure they hadn't killed somebody instead of dragging her out of the elevator like a hunter with a deer carcass.

To me his actions after knocking her out were extremely disturbing and they weren't as clearly known before the video.

A natural reaction (for most people) would be to immediately think "OMG what have I done?" and jump down there to make sure they hadn't killed somebody instead of dragging her out of the elevator like a hunter with a deer carcass.

Yeah, and maybe calling 911 because she might be dead.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

It seems in sports the major issue is "lying" about it. Look at MLB, a lot of those who came forward and said they took steroids are now pretty much forgiven in the public eye. A-Rod will never be forgiven by the fans or the MLB.

If Ray Rice somehow tried to cover this up, and lied to the NFL about some of the details. That usually warrants a bigger penalty than the actual act.

Apparently Rice was very upfront with the league and law enforcement about what he did. The disturbing thing is that the league knew the severity of what he did even before the discovery of the video and considered two games sufficient punishment. Totally tone deaf reaction, IMO.

A whole other story is if anybody really believes that people in the league office didn't see the video before this week.

Bill M

OH LAWD. http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=11551518

Wow.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

OH LAWD.

http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=11551518

Of course they knew. Everybody knew except Roger Goodell (sarcasm).

If Goodell didn't see the tape it was for one reason.

Of course they knew. Everybody knew except Roger Goodell (sarcasm).

If Goodell didn't see the tape it was for one reason.

From the same article I just posted in the Adrian Peterson thread:

Q: During Bountygate, Sean Payton stated that he was not aware of an “injure-for-cash” bounty system in place. In levying the one-year suspension on Payton, Roger Goodell claimed that, “Ignorance is not an excuse.” Roger now says he “never saw the video” (of Rice). Well, Mr. Commissioner… according to you, “Ignorance is not an excuse,” right? It’s been extremely enjoyable watching Roger try to wiggle himself out of this latest, and most hypocritically damaging debacle.

—Brian M, Leesburg, VA

BS: If and when the Game of Shadows guys write a Revenue Roger book, I demand they call it Ignorance Is Not an Excuse. That also sounds like a great title for a potential 2017 documentary that ESPN will abruptly cancel. I’m excited on all fronts.

Good point, Brian M.

C'mon did anyone really think the Ravens, the NFL and Roger Dodger didn't know that Rice punched her in the face and that there was video that proved it.  Good wake up call for the masses, big business and government are corrupt.  Their problem was they underestimated the greed that motivates people to gain access to a video that they can sell for a lot of money to TMZ.

Perfect timing too, story gets released shortly after Goodell incriminates himself further during a press conference.  Bye Roger, can't say I'll miss you.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 3507 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!