IGNORED

TST Explores GAME Golf

I downloaded the app and played a round at my local par-3 last night.  I was actually surprised with how easy it was to tag shots.  Just hit the + button, tap the club and it automatically locks the screen.  Wasn't really a hassle at all.

Pretty cool to see the data on where your shots went.  I played awful but still cool to see course as you played it.

I used my 7-iron for punch outs a few times, can I note that somewhere so it doesn't affect that clubs distance stats?

If I were you, I would create a dummy club that you use for all recovery or odd shots. There's no way to keep individual shots out of your stats, and it's a real pain, which is why my 5i lists an average of 130 yards, while my 6i is about 170: I use my 5i for punchouts and the like. Sometimes I use the hybrid, sometimes I'll chip out with a wedge, but I've just been labeling them all 5irons since it's the club I least hit full-on. I'm actually out of new tags I could create because I have two drivers, a couple 3 woods, and a couple hybrids I swap in and out, but you can just create a dummy club and use that.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If I were you, I would create a dummy club that you use for all recovery or odd shots. There's no way to keep individual shots out of your stats, and it's a real pain, which is why my 5i lists an average of 130 yards, while my 6i is about 170: I use my 5i for punchouts and the like. Sometimes I use the hybrid, sometimes I'll chip out with a wedge, but I've just been labeling them all 5irons since it's the club I least hit full-on. I'm actually out of new tags I could create because I have two drivers, a couple 3 woods, and a couple hybrids I swap in and out, but you can just create a dummy club and use that.

Oh nice, that is a good idea.  Thank you.

What do you do for chipping?  The same thing?  I use my 52 degree wedge a lot for chipping but don't want that to bring down my distance for that club.  I am interested in finding out how far each club actually goes on average.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

What do you do for chipping?  The same thing?  I use my 52 degree wedge a lot for chipping but don't want that to bring down my distance for that club.  I am interested in finding out how far each club actually goes on average.

For chipping, I tag correctly for my wedges. If I use an iron for a bump and run, I'll just say GW. It's pretty good about taking shots around the green out of the mix. My GW lists 107 as typical even though I chip a ton with it.

I'd also add that Game Golf doesn't figure out your average per se in the club performance chart, it finds out your "typical" as they call it. Seems like they take out low outliers and skew towards your better results, it seems like.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

FWIW, I went out and bought real club for this purpose (I only had 13 clubs in my bag, so I had room for one more).  Around here, our rough is very rocky.  I really didn't want to mess up my irons every time I need to punch out to the fairway, and I really don't want to use a foot wedge to get a better lie.

So I went to my local used sports equipment store (think Casablanca) and bought a 25 year old Titleist iron for $1.  Put the star tag in it, and now I use it for all of those shots.

I also grab it when I'm just off the green and chipping with my putter--I tag that shot with that iron instead of my putter and change it to the putter later when editing the round. (If I just tag the putter, it changes the location to somewhere on the green instead of where I actually stood.)

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

According the Game Golf's website, they weed out the punch out shots and miss hits.

Can anybody confirm that?  Does it just take a lot of rounds and data to weed those out?

I guess I am mainly concerned with wedges and chipping.  Does the 10 yard chip shot count the same as the 120 yard shot?

Tony  

Thing is you probably a have a good idea what max average is for wedges being how easy they are to hit. I don't care if the club performance looks funny for wedges because that's really what I am doing with them and much it depend on lie, whether it's a bump or pitch etc. But IMO no GG doesn't completely weed out the punch shots with longer clubs. Some punches may travel quite a far and may look exactly like a mishit. Which again is really "true" because I will hit a 4i really bad at time. Not to mention all the weird things that happen during a round. Last night I hit a rock with a 4 hybrid that nearly bounced back to where I hit it from. It's a big reason my "driver" average looks so whacky. I use a 43" 280cc 12.5 club that's more 2.5 wood than driver. But I use it off the tee and in the fairway as well as hitting some rescue type shots with it. All those 183 yard shots are likely exactly what I intended to do but it's all there in my stats. FYI you really don't need a phony club or tag. If you don't want something recorded for what it is skip the tagging on the course. GG will detect the shot and when you go to "change club" it will default to whatever club average matches the distance the ball traveled to the next tag.

Dave :-)

The dummy tag idea works better on the app than the physical device. You can just set up an extra club that exists only as a button on the app, whereas you'd have to have something physical to tag the unit with. It's not a big deal in the cosmic sense, really

Dom's Sticks:

The dummy tag idea works better on the app than the physical device. You can just set up an extra club that exists only as a button on the app, whereas you'd have to have something physical to tag the unit with. It's not a big deal in the cosmic sense, really

Yeah I am only using the app for now.

I think having a club for "Punch-outs" will work nicely.    It's not more work than tagging any other club and will keep the data better for my other swings.  And since I tend to have at least 1 or 2 punch outs per nine holes, that will be cool.

Tony  

The back end is the same if you are editing rounds on PC. Once you establish an actual average due to hitting enough shots where it's evened out a no tag will produce a detected shot when editing.

The back end is the same if you are editing rounds on PC. Once you establish an actual average due to hitting enough shots where it's evened out a no tag will produce a detected shot when editing.

If i hit a drive 240 yards behind a tree.  Punch out 50 yards.  Then hit a wedge 120 yards.

With the app, how else would it know the drive wasn't 290 yards?  If I didn't tag that punch out.

Tony  

Not sure how the technology works but it does, probably due to the delay between tags. Same way it assumes your last put is near the hole not 100 feet away. The GPS is "seeing" where you are on the course and how long you are there.

Not sure how the technology works but it does, probably due to the delay between tags. Same way it assumes your last put is near the hole not 100 feet away. The GPS is "seeing" where you are on the course and how long you are there.

Interesting,  I wonder how accurate that gets.  If say you have to wait for the group ahead of you and a playing partner to hit before you can walk up to your ball.  Does it add a stroke for that wait?

Tony  

No idea but every time I miss a tag the detected shot and resulting default to club X when using the change club function is always populated by whatever the club should be for that distance based on my averages.

I think this is what you are referring to: [QUOTE]The GAME GOLF tracking device is able to automatically detect most swings taken from outside the green, based on the motion of your hips. This means that if you forget to tag a shot during the round, in most cases GAME GOLF can show where you took the swing and simply prompt you to assign a club to that shot. When reviewing your round, each detected shot will be highlighted in the shot panel and displayed on the hole map as an orange diamond. You will need to either assign a club to or delete any extraneous detected shots. However, if you are certain that you tagged every shot, you can hide all detected shots and sign the round without them.[/QUOTE]

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

The first round I put in has me at 0% sand saves but i didn't have any sand save opportunities.  I messed up and tagged a sand shot somehow on the third hole, but deleted the extra shot yet it still has me with a sand save x and 0% for that round.  My second round has "--," which would be correct for no sand save opportunities.  Can I fix that somehow?  I'm new at this.

I had a similar questions about how to tell whether the unit is recording me being in a bunker or not, how to edit it, etc.  I emailed Gamegolf support and got a non-answer a couple months ago, but I think I stumbled on the answer this week when I was editing a round. This might answer your question as well.

(To those who saw this the first time they edited a round and it was obvious to them, my apologies.  But I’m posting this in case there are others like me who hadn’t noticed this yet.)

I was in a bunker, close to the edge, but clearly in the bunker.  When I was editing the round, I saw that it tagged me as being right on the edge, but it looked a little closer to the edge than I really was, so I dragged the shot into the bunker.  I then noticed a change:

When it thinks I’m not in the bunker, it indicates a “scrambling” success or failure:

But when I move the shot into the bunker, that changes to “sand save.”

And so I realized this is where I need to look to make sure my "in bunker" or "not in bunker" position is correct on those shots then end up close to the edge. @jerry g , you'll probably have to "unsign" that round and look at that third hole to see where it thinks you're in a bunker (or another hole where it indicates an incorrect "sand save" indication when you weren't in a bunker).  Move the ball position a little to get rid of the "sand save" notation, and that should fix it.

Hope this is a little helpful. (To you and maybe to others.)

• Upvote 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Played my second round with the Game Golf tags and Android app.  My only complaint is that it's not always obvious when something isn't set up correctly.  Between rounds I turned off the NFC feature on my phone and when I turned it back on, my tags needed "setup" in the app again.  Apparently this just means that I read a page in the app and click the button labeled "Got it".  Before I did that, however, I played a couple holes and every time I tagged a club, my phone made noise which made me think it was working.  After two holes I looked at the score and saw that it had recorded nothing and figured out my problem.

I also noticed that the bottom of my golf bag is a little dirty because by the end of my round, I had a dirt spot on my pocket where I was keeping my phone. Kind of a drawback but next time I will clip the phone to my belt and see how that works.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

So, thought I'd post this here before I emailed Game Golf.

When using the insight tab, club performance, I can't seem to scroll up to see the top of the screen where it shows me my longest tee shot was for a given club.  For example, in the screenshot below, the longest visible shot is 238 yards which is the point which is furthest to the left, but I can't scroll up to see the longest one which is presumably 248 or any others above the aforementioned 238 yard point.

Does anyone know if I can either zoom out on that frame or if there's a way I can scroll up?  If not, I'll email GG.

Thanks.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

So, thought I'd post this here before I emailed Game Golf.

When using the insight tab, club performance, I can't seem to scroll up to see the top of the screen where it shows me my longest tee shot was for a given club.  For example, in the screenshot below, the longest visible shot is 238 yards which is the point which is furthest to the left, but I can't scroll up to see the longest one which is presumably 248 or any others above the aforementioned 238 yard point.

Does anyone know if I can either zoom out on that frame or if there's a way I can scroll up?  If not, I'll email GG.

Thanks.

I tried to replicate your problem in Chrome by zooming in and out with Ctrl+, but I haven't been able to because the driving grid resizes each time I would try that first, but other than refreshing or trying another browser, I don't know.

Dom's Sticks: