IGNORED

The TST Member Tournament Play Thread

David in FL

I'm competing in the finals for our club match play event this weekend. I won my first 3 matches without too much stress, but I am expecting a tough battle this Saturday. My opponent is playing well (he won my flight in the Club Championship in June) and I will be spotting him a stroke on top of that. This is one of my favorite tournaments, so I'm trying to stay positive and visualize a good result come Saturday.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't have time to do a full rundown here, but I'm happy to say I prevailed in Saturday's match and won my flight. I am one of 5 match play champions in my club (there were 5 flights).

Cliff notes version: I started out slow, but played pretty well in the middle. I capitalized on the holes where my opponent made mistakes and built a strong lead on the back 9. I missed a 2 footer for the championship on 16, and almost fell apart mentally. Visions of choking away the championship briefly fluttered through my head, especially when I double bogeyed the 17th to lose that hole as well. But I hit my best iron shot of the day on 18, a 190 yard 6 iron over water to 10 feet and 2 putted for the win - feeling more relieved than euphoric.

My "hardware" will be awarded at the club meeting in December. I'll post a pic once it's in my possession!

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Big C said:

I don't have time to do a full rundown here, but I'm happy to say I prevailed in Saturday's match and won my flight. I am one of 5 match play champions in my club (there were 5 flights).

Cliff notes version: I started out slow, but played pretty well in the middle. I capitalized on the holes where my opponent made mistakes and built a strong lead on the back 9. I missed a 2 footer for the championship on 16, and almost fell apart mentally. Visions of choking away the championship briefly fluttered through my head, especially when I double bogeyed the 17th to lose that hole as well. But I hit my best iron shot of the day on 18, a 190 yard 6 iron over water to 10 feet and 2 putted for the win - feeling more relieved than euphoric.

My "hardware" will be awarded at the club meeting in December. I'll post a pic once it's in my possession!

Congratulations sir!!  Im sure that Newport Cup experience helped you a little bit at least. ;)

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Big C said:

Congratulations!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, Big C said:

Great playing dude!

This was at El Dorado?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

9 hours ago, Big C said:

Well done!  :beer:

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Will be playing in my first ever tournament tomorrow.  It is a 2 ball Texas scramble and you can only enter with a hcp.. My teammate is the person I always play golf with and his hcp is 33, but will be playing off 28 (max) for the tournament and I will be playing off 22.

I will know all the rules when I get there in the morning but I heard they will most likely use 25% of total handicap combined so that would be a 13 for us.  Plus we will have to use either 9 tee offs or minimum 8 tee offs from each partner.

Its actually a pretty good deal where the entry fee is 50$ and we get a shirt, towel, breakfast and lunch.  

I can't wait to see how we will play!  We did a simulation round the other day and didn't do so well going 17 over which would be a net +4.. We had 2 OB and we doubled the first 3 (without OBs there).  We need to play at a +2 on each side and try and get to -10 for the tournament to have a chance..  It will be tough, but you need high aspirations right?

I am also playing in a one day full hcp stroke play tournament the following week, but I'll wait till next week to talk about that one..

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

20 hours ago, Abu3baid said:

Will be playing in my first ever tournament tomorrow.  It is a 2 ball Texas scramble and you can only enter with a hcp.. My teammate is the person I always play golf with and his hcp is 33, but will be playing off 28 (max) for the tournament and I will be playing off 22.

I will know all the rules when I get there in the morning but I heard they will most likely use 25% of total handicap combined so that would be a 13 for us.  Plus we will have to use either 9 tee offs or minimum 8 tee offs from each partner.

Its actually a pretty good deal where the entry fee is 50$ and we get a shirt, towel, breakfast and lunch.  

I can't wait to see how we will play!  We did a simulation round the other day and didn't do so well going 17 over which would be a net +4.. We had 2 OB and we doubled the first 3 (without OBs there).  We need to play at a +2 on each side and try and get to -10 for the tournament to have a chance..  It will be tough, but you need high aspirations right?

I am also playing in a one day full hcp stroke play tournament the following week, but I'll wait till next week to talk about that one..

It was a good time.. We shot a 75 gross, 62 net.  Came in 2nd along with 3 groups but they did a tie breaker using the back nine score or something, I didn't understand so we came in 4th.  They gave us a nice travel bag.  Next up is the stroke play tourney next week.  

image.thumb.jpg.367c823aa8456b2f21c8438f

they also had a business card raffle, but I didn't know about it and didn't have one on me. The prizes were in order.

1.  Trip for 2 to Dubai with hotel

2.  Weekend at a hotel in KSA

3.  iPhone 6s 64 gb

4.  Gold marker

5.  TM driver (don't know what type)

the winners of the tourney got golf bags... lol

• Upvote 1

Eyad

I played in my 1st Golf Channel Am Tournament yesterday at Bardmoor.  It was a good time and it seemed to be run pretty well from the tournament side.  The golf course, was kinda meh.  The greens weren't in the best shape, as they seem to be letting them go a bit before the prime season kicks in for us.  They were pretty thatchy, with a several dead spots.  It's unfortunate, I play this course 2-3 times a month and really like the layout.  But, for as much as they charge in greens fees, I would love to see them try to maintain a little better quality of conditions. 

As for the tournament itself, I finished 2nd in my flight (16.0-19.9) and 34th overall.  I had some typically poor putting from inside 15' which lead to a few 3-putts, very few GIR/NGIR, and my driving overall was ok, about 56% FIR. I should have the GG round uploaded today or tomorrow. 

As soon as my kids' soccer seasons are over, I'll enter more.   

DJ

Follow me at Game Golf Profile: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/djfajt71 

43 minutes ago, djfajt71 said:

I played in my 1st Golf Channel Am Tournament yesterday at Bardmoor.  It was a good time and it seemed to be run pretty well from the tournament side.  The golf course, was kinda meh.  The greens weren't in the best shape, as they seem to be letting them go a bit before the prime season kicks in for us.  They were pretty thatchy, with a several dead spots.  It's unfortunate, I play this course 2-3 times a month and really like the layout.  But, for as much as they charge in greens fees, I would love to see them try to maintain a little better quality of conditions. 

As for the tournament itself, I finished 2nd in my flight (16.0-19.9) and 34th overall.  I had some typically poor putting from inside 15' which lead to a few 3-putts, very few GIR/NGIR, and my driving overall was ok, about 56% FIR. I should have the GG round uploaded today or tomorrow. 

As soon as my kids' soccer seasons are over, I'll enter more.   

Good for you!  They're a lot of fun, and will definitely get the juices flowing.   :beer:

What did you shoot?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

9 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Good for you!  They're a lot of fun, and will definitely get the juices flowing.   :beer:

What did you shoot?

I shot a 93, which is about my average for Bardmoor.  It was a lot of fun, and it's a new feeling for me to be competing against other folks.  I was wanting to experience the competitive side of golf and I like it!  Even in my league, we play a quota points system, but it's not really against the other league members per se. 

DJ

Follow me at Game Golf Profile: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/djfajt71 

32 minutes ago, djfajt71 said:

I shot a 93, which is about my average for Bardmoor.  It was a lot of fun, and it's a new feeling for me to be competing against other folks.  I was wanting to experience the competitive side of golf and I like it!  Even in my league, we play a quota points system, but it's not really against the other league members per se. 

Shooting about your average score in your first real stroke plat tournament is solid.  Nice job!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Played in my first stroke play tournament, it was actually for the club championship and I played very badly.. Shot a 106 and most of my shots lost because of bad iron play.  Only 1 OB and it was with a 3H that ended up dribbling 20 yards straight into OB.

also, had 2 holes that I shot +4 and +5 on.. So, with +9 on two holes the rest doesn't really matter!

it was a good learning experience, and it shows I have a lot of work to do still.

The guy that won it shot a gross 83 (64 net) as a19 HCP.. I hope they do a HCP adjustment :)

Eyad

Will be playing in my third tournament in a row.. Too bad there aren't any more scheduled tournaments as far as I know.

tomorrows tourney is a full hcp stabelford and I can't wait!

Eyad

• 2 weeks later...

First (non Newport Cup) tournament in over a year in the books, and it was a long day.  Here's the round: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/golfingdad/round/681976

The short of it is that the greens were the fastest, and most diabolical (read: unfair) that I've ever played.  Otherwise, a couple of stray tee shots and a couple of bladed pitching wedges off of sidehill lies were the only shots that really stood out on the negative side.  I finished with a score of 90, including 42 putts and 2 penalty strokes for a tie for 8th place out of 20 in my flight.

Quick example regarding the greens:

Hole 7, I hit my tee shot into the fairway bunker, lay up over the lip to about 55 yards, and then hit a great pitch that stops about 6 feet from the hole leaving a slightly downhill right to left breaking putt.  A playing partner putts straight up the hill first, hits it a foot past the hole, it stops, then rolls back in.  We all laugh and then its my turn.  I tap it, and m putt misses and ends up 10-12 feet away straight downhill.  Next putt comes up half a roll short ...... and then ends up back where it started.  Next putt does the exact same thing.  Mercifully, the next one falls, otherwise, I could still be out there.

And a funny anecdote:  On the fifth hole, I hooked my tee shot left.  Hit a provisional, ended up having to play it, and finished with a double bogey, because we never found the original.  After teeing off on #6, while driving to the 6th green, we found my original ball from #5 sitting on the cart path near the #6 forward tees ... 500 YARDS from where I hit it!!!  The only possible explanation is that it just rolled downhill along that cart path that entire way.  But, hey, if a sprinkler head or helping wind can aid a record drive, then why not a cart path?  So, now I can tell everybody that I hit a 500 yard drive (with a 3 wood, no less) this year!! :beer:

Except for the mini-golf style putting, the course was beautiful, and I was pretty pleased with how I game planned and, for the most part, how I executed.  I hit 9 greens, and I had one of my best days off the tee ever.  I only missed 3 fairways, and one of them was a tad unlucky as I caught a fairway bunker that was dead in the center of the fairway.  One of the others was the aforementioned cart path ball.  So, really, I had only one wild sideways tee shot today out of 14, and from the 8th hole on, I hit every fairway.  That's unheard of for me!!

I didn't get a chance to meet him, but I saw a fellow TST member, @allenc, out there today as well.  If you're up for it Allen, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the tournament today as well.

Yeah, I played the same tournament as @Golfingdad and I won't bury the headline, it was probably the best course and one of my favorite rounds ever.

I did play Pelican Hill once a couple years ago.  I have a couple friends who really love it and play it about one a month.  Back then I found it to be nice, with nice amenities, but definitely not worth the price.  I had forgotten that there were two courses, and I loved the one we played yesterday.  Some really beautiful holes, ocean on most, and all of them at least very nice and interesting.

Oh, and as I said in a text to my friend as we were waiting on 15 (is that a faux pas?), "this is the hardest course I've ever played in my life!"  Ok, later I found out that the greens are rarely as fast as they were, and that was the biggest reason.  The layout was definitely well above average difficulty however, with many fairway bunkers from which you couldn't reach the green, native areas on both sides of all holes that always result in a lost ball, and many elevation changes.  Not many water hazards though, which helped make it a bit easier.

Here are some of my stats to give you a sniff.  There were about 5 holes, par 4s, where I couldn't hit the green on my third shot -- with putter.  There were 2 holes where my 3rd shot was within 1 foot of the green, and it took me 3 shots from there to get ON the green   On one I was putting for birdie, and for par I was hitting a 50 yard pitch over a bunker.  To be fair that last one was one of those putts where you're putting sideways through the fringe and it's tough to get it high enough.  I'm on the back left, the hole is back right sloping toward the front and away from me, and I had to putt firm through fringe and hope it rolled out toward the hole in the right place.  And two holes I was on in two, but not in 3.  I believe there were many putting locations throughout the course where it was almost impossible to reach the hole yet keep it on the green.

At the beginning I was a bit too much in my head with swing thoughts and paid the price with lost balls resulting in two triples around hole 3 and 4.  But I worked it out and got on a roll with 6 great swings in a row, for 3 birdie putts inside 30 feet.  Each time I said, "well I'm not going to hit THIS one too hard" only to have it either sail 10 feet by the hole or break 6 feet away.  Regarding that last bit I've been using Aimpoint Express and unfortunately I found it mostly useless for many of the putts.  I would only feel 1.5, play 2.5 anyway because I knew the greens were nutty, but from the result the slope must have been about 4.  I think it's because the whole course was tilted toward the ocean so the body's sense of balance calibrates that as being level.  As I got the hang of it I added about 2 degrees to certain putts that just had that look.

I was getting a little frustrated around 1/3 of the way through, because although I knew the greens were fast and scary I still felt like it was me.  My playing partners weren't having the same problems and they just looked at me like I was crazy as I kept putting the ball clear off the green.  Well it was partly because I was hitting it much better than them.  While they were often just short of the green on their approach, I was often above the hole (I usually play around 1/2 club extra to account for mishits), and I didn't get the memo to never EVER EVER EVER be above the hole.  They did find out on the back 9 though, and at that time I finally lightened up, and enjoyed the greens for what they were.  I just smiled as the putt that I barely touch from 40 feet almost dies at 20 feet, only to keep chugging at about 0.1mph as if it has a build in engine until it's well past the hole.  Then picks up speed again and rolls down the ridge well off the green.

With as many people as entered my division, the top three would often all be in the low 80s.  I thought I swung well enough to shoot around there on most courses, but I shot 96, and that was good enough for solo 3rd.