IGNORED

You're Tiger's New Swing Coach - How Do You "Fix" Him?

colin007
Note: This thread is 3517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

@james_hirshfield posted this

And then there's this :-P

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No one is asking the important question: Is Lindsey Vonn handling business where it matters? I need my client to be as focused and satisfied as possible.

In all seriousness, he has forgotten more about the swing than I currently know, so my only advice to him is to go out there and have fun again. I enjoy watching him play more than any player, but I don't like it when he gets frustrated out there. Hard to play well in such a mindset.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

I would agree with @boogielicious , and clubface control. He sets up for the fade a lot, and then hits a straight ball left of his target. Why? Because the face matches the path, which is left. Getting the face just left of the target but still right of his path is difficult.

Colin P.

How do I fix him? First I tell him to get his head out of A$$ and be grateful that he is not carry a gun, sleeping on dirt in Iraq or some other god forsaken place. Next I remind him it's about the lowest score, not how pretty your pose is after your follow thru or " trajs, reps and processes" Next I remind him its about quality practices, that his sponsors are second in line behinds his fans. Any press conference is from the heart not some stupid agenda you think you are owed. Next I would ask what is he doing standing there, get to the range and begin hitting 1000 golf balls spread out thru the bag, odd number only irons down to a five iron. I would remind him all of his shots will be at 80% no more murdering a 9 iron if an 8 will do. I would instruct him to remove the 4,3 and two iron and be fitted for 2 hybrids. I would model his newer slower swing after his <2003 swing This is for starters

Well first I would have him read all of the tips in this thread.

Then I would have him watch this (just in case he was confused).

I would tell him to get healthy.

Then once he's healthy, I'd tell him to go be Tiger Woods.

Yep.

But first, embrace reality and be accountable.

Go have fun with the game.

Let it flow ... be an artist.

And get your swag back.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• Administrator

I'll just say this: his range swing produces about 98% of the distance as his on-course swing, and is an order of magnitude more graceful and more accurate .

He doesn't add left side bend after 4 so much on the range, either…

I don't mind a leg squat, BTW.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I would make his driver swing look like his iron swing. He would lose some distance but it would be easier to repeat and really just give him something to focus on. I don't think no coach is good, but maybe not make a whole lot of changes.

I'll just say this: his range swing produces about 98% of the distance as his on-course swing, and is an order of magnitude more graceful and more accurate . He doesn't add left side bend after 4 so much on the range, either… I don't mind a leg squat, BTW.

I have always thought this as well. It seems he is much more able to hit his positions on the range when he is so smooth and in control.

Colin P.

I have always thought this as well. It seems he is much more able to hit his positions on the range when he is so smooth and in control.

So Tiger does have something in common with most of the golfing world after all. :smartass:

I'll just say this: his range swing produces about 98% of the distance as his on-course swing, and is an order of magnitude more graceful and more accurate.

He doesn't add left side bend after 4 so much on the range, either…

Good example when I was at the US Open a couple years ago. Definitely doesn't overdo the side bend after A4 and sequencing is better, like you said more graceful.

Mike McLoughlin

I think he should stop bulking up, lose weight, get thin, flexible, maybe take up Yoga, it will help him stay healthy and hence, fix his swing.

I don't think there's anything to fix with Tiger but his ability to stay healthy and loose.

Is it just a matter of loss of or change in full body proprioception?  Gotta be one of his greatest strengths in his heyday when he would win even with his B game. Happens over time (age related) and specifically because of re-distribution of nerve cells from the recovery process through major injuries, etc.

I don't if you can re-learn innate things like that. But if anybody can, he can. That would go a long way in his positional and motion map consistency from which he drifts. I am sure the actual nuts and bolts of his swing can be worked out with either his own knowledge or plenty available qualified help.

Vishal S.

Might advise him to try finasteride...

But for his swing, he doesn't seem that far away. He can use his present pattern with someone who has more depth of knowledge than SF.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Ha, I agree with Johnny....kinda. The issues don't come from the squatting, it's what happens just before that.

Randall Mell filed a couple of pieces, starting with this on Tiger's "explosiveness" obsession.

“Tiger needs to quit being Ponce de León, looking for that fountain of youth,” Miller said. “He's looking for explosive power. What he really needs to do with the long game is swing a little smoother, instead of exploding into it, and blocking everything right and flipping it left . . . I think it would help his long game if he used a little smoother action, like he does with his irons . . . He’s trying to explode up through it, and his feet are hopping, and he's squatting down and hopping, and he's raising up, instead of just swinging level.”

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDC

I think he should stop bulking up, lose weight, get thin, flexible, maybe take up Yoga, it will help him stay healthy and hence, fix his swing.

I don't think there's anything to fix with Tiger but his ability to stay healthy and loose.

Tiger is not as "bulked" up as it may appear on camera. I've seen him up close at the '12 US Open (video I posted) and the PGA last year, he's just a fit guy. Also as you get older you tend to "widen" out a bit.

But for his swing, he doesn't seem that far away. He can use his present pattern with someone who has more depth of knowledge than SF.

Agree, he doesn't need another major swing overhaul, from a technical or a career timing perspective.

Mike McLoughlin

Ha, I agree with Johnny....kinda. The issues don't come from the squatting, it's what happens just before that.

Tiger is not as "bulked" up as it may appear on camera. I've seen him up close at the '12 US Open (video I posted) and the PGA last year, he's just a fit guy. Also as you get older you tend to "widen" out a bit.

Agree, he doesn't need another major swing overhaul, from a technical or a career timing perspective.

I was wondering about that. So you think with the right info, he would have the changes ingrained and be good to peak by the Masters?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I was wondering about that. So you think with the right info, he would have the changes ingrained and be good to peak by the Masters?

If he stays healthy and can practice (and gets the right info).....sure :-)

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!