IGNORED

Possibility of More Drought in CA Disastrous for Golf Courses

billchao
Note: This thread is 3545 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

California is called "The Golden State" after all.  And it is not because of the gold strike in 1849.  Desalinization is the way to go.

I think that article does make a good point about conservation. It's not really an issue that can be solved simply by increasing the capacity of water production, because at some point in the future, usage will catch up. I think it's probably best to tackle both fronts. Increase water production and reduce water usage.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

California is called "The Golden State" after all.  And it is not because of the gold strike in 1849.  Desalinization is the way to go.

I think that article does make a good point about conservation. It's not really an issue that can be solved simply by increasing the capacity of water production, because at some point in the future, usage will catch up.

I think it's probably best to tackle both fronts. Increase water production and reduce water usage.

Agree.  Need to work both.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

http://www.reddit.com/r/golf/comments/2gid2a/heres_what_i_had_to_deal_with_all_weekend_more_in/

Los Angeles:

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

California's been in a drought for the last 4 decades off and on... I remember growing up out there from the 70's to 80's. Water was rationed on the air force base my parents and I lived on and watering schedules were strictly enforced.

I remember the hills around Fairfield and Vacaville were green in the winter and brown in the summer... and I also remember when there was no mall in Fairfield... and the only place to shop was a stand alone JC Penney... which became one of the anchor stores of the mall.

Personally, I think California should look towards desalinization for its water... it's not going to be able to get much more water from surrounding states... and if they state properly plans and builds the desalinization plants, they should be able to provide enough water for the current demand and well into the future.

Conservation is a good idea but how well will it be observed in practice when there's no longer a shortage of water?

Chris

I don't play golf, I play at golf. There's a difference.

TM RBZ driver, RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3 wood, RBZ 7 wood, TM Burner 2.0 4-AW, Cleveland CG16 Black Pearl 56* sand wedge, Yes! Golf Valerie putter, Snake Eyes golf balls, TM stand bag

http://www.reddit.com/r/golf/comments/2gid2a/heres_what_i_had_to_deal_with_all_weekend_more_in/

Los Angeles:

Technically, Corona.  (40-45 miles east/southeast of LA)

And the picture of the fire is looking south/southwest towards my house.  As the crow flies it's only 12 miles from that golf course (Eagle Glen) to my town.  The fire was in between, in Silverado Canyon.

I played Roddy Ranch in Antioch last week.  Hoping to buy patience from golfers who are used to better conditions, their new tag line is "brown is the new green".  They've reduced their water usage a bunch.  I played a private course in the Bay Area this summer and was appalled by the amount of watering that was being done in areas that weren't in play.  That's just not sustainable.

Roddy was a little rough compared to other times I've played it, but it was playable.  They are moving towards Bermuda fairways, as it's much more drought tolerant and can handle the heat.  They are plugging some fairways that were not holding up well.  I imagine the course will be much better for it in a year or two.

My tag photo is Ancil Hoffman in the Spring.  It's a bit browner this year, but still very playable.  I think carpet-of-green golf courses won't be sustainable in California.

• 3 months later...
Looks like it's getting greener out there on the left coast? (Source of image: http://www.drroyspencer.com/2014/12/drought-stricken-california-suddenly-green/)

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I was in Palm Springs about a month ago, they have an incredible high density of golf courses and they are all lush and green.  The Palm Springs courses seem to be following a different set of rules than the rest of California.  I know they have wells but the have to supplement that with water from the Colorado river.  And the ground water is being depleted at an alarming rate.

Golf is an important part of their economy.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting photos.   It was nice to get some early winter rain this year.  The ski areas were happy as they didn't miss out on the Holiday bookings like in 2013.   Unfortunately, we are still way behind "normal".  I skied on New Year's Day and snow cover was just so-so.  We've gone into another dry period.  When it happens in January/February, we will be in trouble come summer.  I know I've done my 25% reduction in water use, and I'm working on further reductions.  Not sure how the golf courses will adjust any more than they have.  Not good.  Send us rain.

Interesting photos.   It was nice to get some early winter rain this year.  The ski areas were happy as they didn't miss out on the Holiday bookings like in 2013.   Unfortunately, we are still way behind "normal".  I skied on New Year's Day and snow cover was just so-so.  We've gone into another dry period.  When it happens in January/February, we will be in trouble come summer.  I know I've done my 25% reduction in water use, and I'm working on further reductions.  Not sure how the golf courses will adjust any more than they have.  Not good.  Send us rain.

Yes, and while it's ridiculously wet in the mornings, we need a lot more rain. Lots more.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Last year, my course was told to cut water by significant percentage and they did.   This reduced "green" area quite a bit and field condition degraded accordingly.  It was hard for the course to selectively turn off water without impacting fairway conditions.   Ironically, this helped with scoring.   Many deep rough & tall brush areas (you-will-never-find-your-ball variety) became brown, dried out patch where ball can be easily found and can even be hit out of.    With the recent rain, deep rough & tall brush areas are back.   Field condition has recovered briefly.   But the rain has stopped and I am afraid things will get worse hereon.

( I looked at my wife's and my score for the year.   During summer when deep rough & tall brush areas were dried out, both of our average scores were 2 - 3 strokes better.    I now suspect it was due to the fact that we had less "lost" balls. And I thought I was playing better :cry: . )

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 3545 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!