IGNORED

Greg Norman Almost Cuts off Hand in Chainsaw Accident

owen
Note: This thread is 3521 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There's a photo of the tree he was using the chainsaw on in his Instagram feed. It's small. I would have used a reciprocating saw. It'll take longer, but way safer. I've taken down a tree almost twice that size with only a reciprocating saw, like a Sawzall. With a 12 inch blade . The news sources mentioned nerve damage. Anyone know if recovery be 100% after this type of surgery?

Not me! A real man always uses the biggest, baddest, power tool he owns for any given job. Safety be damned! :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He would not have been the first Australian golf champion to lose a limb in a freak accident. [URL]http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1710524/gallery-jack-newton-30-years-after-the-accident/[/URL]

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

It would be speculating I know but how do you think it happened?

I've had a few close calls over the years, mostly when cutting downed limbs or brush, but none involving anything close to my hand or wrist.

Yea I don't know.  I've never had a running chainsaw get anywhere near my hand.  Maybe he was drop starting it and after it started he swung his hand to close to it idk, lol.  Tough to imagine how that could have happened.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

Yea I don't know.  I've never had a running chainsaw get anywhere near my hand.  Maybe he was drop starting it and after it started he swung his hand to close to it idk, lol.  Tough to imagine how that could have happened.

Small tree limbs and a small chainsaw.....I hope he wasn't one handing it while pulling the cut limbs out of the way with the other hand!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator

Lamest looking cornhole game ever.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Well I suppose I could use my Sawsall if I happened to have it handy, the hedge row I was cleaning out just happened to be close to an electrical outlet, and there wasn't too much of it to clear. ;-) Since I always have my chainsaw in my truck, there usually isn't an outlet and an extension cord handy, and I can clear 50 to 1 more in the same amount of time I would use a chainsaw about 99.999% of the time.

Because, believe it or not, not everyone likes the idea of having servants. They like doing things themselves. It would be like asking why his chauffer or "driver" wasn't driving him to the shops.

Well if you can't do this without loppin off part of your arm, you best be paying someone...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Kickback. And I'm not talking the monetary kind. :-)

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Well if you can't do this without loppin off part of your arm, you best be paying someone...

It is possible that he was not deliberately trying to amputate his hand. :-P

My guess is that it was a small machine and he was using it one-handed whilst holding back some smaller springy branches and it kicked back.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Gotta wonder 'bout Greg.  One day he tells us to 'respect the sunball' and avoid skin cancer.  Later he prances around for photos, semi-naked, hatless in Florida during a summer day.  Gotta wonder where are his priorities.  Perhaps his hero is VPutin, also known to strut his naked torso.

And did not Prez RReagan post photos of himself chopping firewood when he was well into his old age?  Good exercise, he said.  Firewood chopping not without danger, esp to foot and leg.

Will make no comment about use of term 'cornhole'.  Although i am curious.

• Administrator

Will make no comment about use of term 'cornhole'.  Although i am curious.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

[quote name="David in FL" url="/t/77164/greg-norman-almost-cuts-off-hand-in-chainsaw-accident#post_1054940"] Small tree limbs and a small chainsaw.....I hope he wasn't one handing it while pulling the cut limbs out of the way with the other hand![/quote]Both of these techniques are dangerous and improper. Nothing wrong with pruning small trees by hand.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Heck, you could even use an oscillator for small jobs if you want to satisfy a power tool fetish.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Heck, you could even use an oscillator for small jobs if you want to satisfy a power tool fetish. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/105898/] [/URL]

Not the best tool for cutting green wood. Cordless reciprocating saw with a large toothed blade would be better. Can get those tough to reach places, too.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Not the best tool for cutting green wood. Cordless reciprocating saw with a large toothed blade would be better. Can get those tough to reach places, too.

Agreed. But it looks so kewl . :-)

Steve

Note: This thread is 3521 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!