IGNORED

How to Hit a Driver (Hit it Further and Stop Slicing!)

mvmac
Note: This thread is 1137 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

31 minutes ago, Howling Coyote said:

mvmac

That's a really long and complicated post.  The reason why I hate the driver and don't like hitting it, is because I can make progress (learn quickly) with the 3-wood, but can't with the driver.  Just using the 3-wood more frequently in no time I begin to hit it 200 yds.  The driver is like a that sailboat so many have joked about.  A hole in the ground, where an infinite amount of time can be spent with no progress.  I'll hook it, pull it left, then slice it and all way much shorter than the 3-wood.

BTW. I am still digesting your post.

Hang in there. It's possible to make progress...and worth the effort. I'm easily up over 20 yards in carry distance over the last 6 months and consistently much more accurate (note: that's average carry, my longest drives these days make the ones of old look puny by comparison). Besides regular full-swing work, it's mostly due to learning and practicing stuff found in the current thread and this one about hitting up with the driver.

Do you have a My Swing thread? I looked but didn't see one. In my experience, it can help to shallow out those rabbit holes you mentioned. ;-)

(BTW, just for clarity's sake... when I hit my 3-wood, I hit it very well, but it doesn't compare to my driver off the tee. No way I'd settle for it over the big stick.)

Edited by roamin

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, roamin said:

Hang in there. It's possible to make progress...and worth the effort. I'm easily up over 20 yards in carry distance over the last 6 months and consistently much more accurate (note: that's average carry, my longest drives these days make the ones of old look puny by comparison). Besides regular full-swing work, it's mostly due to learning and practicing stuff found in the current thread and this one about hitting up with the driver.

Do you have a My Swing thread? I looked but didn't see one. In my experience, it can help to shallow out those rabbit holes you mentioned. ;-)

I don't have a swing thread.  I am not sure what one is?

2 minutes ago, Howling Coyote said:

I don't have a swing thread.  I am not sure what one is?

Oh goodness, you're missing out! Allow me to introduce you... :-D

And here's a link to main Member Swings forum (it's also in the site's menu): Member Swings

• Upvote 2

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

6 hours ago, Howling Coyote said:

That's a really long and complicated post.

Not really IMO.

Basically flare the feet, bump the hips forward at address and keep them forward on the backswing and downswing. Not saying changing it will be easy but I don't see it being complicated.

6 hours ago, Howling Coyote said:

The driver is like a that sailboat so many have joked about.  A hole in the ground, where an infinite amount of time can be spent with no progress.

Feel free to start a swing thread and we'll take a look.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 3 months later...

I have skied the ball a few times in my past two rounds (not including the par-3 rounds).  I have also pulled a few.  I'm mid changing a priority piece, so it might be related to indecision on that, but I wanted to ask:  is there a general trouble-shooting for when this happens?

When I say "skied," I mean it goes very high (and in my case, very left too).  It looks like I hit a very good 8-iron shot in that direction. 

Or is this the sort of thing I should post a video of me hitting driver for?  I won't be able to for a few days, but I'm due to check in with evolvr soon anyway, and could grab some driver video to see.  Of course, this problem tends to manifest on the course and I can't recollect it happening on the range lately (and I do hit a few drivers on the range when I go).

The closest I could find to a discussion of it on this thread was here:

On 1/21/2016 at 9:35 PM, mvmac said:

Golfers sky the ball because of their mechanics, not because the face is a little left. Most drivers are fairly square at address.

... but that makes me worry it's my mechanics causing the issue (I've been hitting my other clubs decently well and lately I'm downright excited to hit a fairway wood when a chance comes up).  My guess would be it's something in the setup.  I'll go through the checklist on my next drive, but is there a likely culprit?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I might not be the right source of information, but when I hit my driver real high and short it's usually because I missed "under" the ball. Catching the ball with the top of the face and not really hitting with a positive AoA. 

Now the problem I have is that I extend too early with my driver. Or maybe just that my head goes back and up too soon. 

23 hours ago, Shindig said:

My guess would be it's something in the setup.  I'll go through the checklist on my next drive, but is there a likely culprit?

Most likely it's an angle of attack issue, hitting down with the driver. Could be playing the ball too far back with the driver.

• Upvote 3

Mike McLoughlin

7 hours ago, mvmac said:

Most likely it's an angle of attack issue, hitting down with the driver. Could be playing the ball too far back with the driver.

Thank you.  I'll check the latter item at the range tomorrow (not sure I can check AoA at the range).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• 3 weeks later...

Great post. I remember seeing this a while back, maybe even before I became a member. I tried it on the range and found a few good shots, but nothing any more consistent than what I see now. 

I believe it's more me than the information and the fact that you can't expect a miracle fix right away. I just need to give it a try for a while.

I have battled a slice all my life with the driver. Unfortunately my 3 Wood isn't any better. So that leaves me very short off the Tee. Although, I have lost a lot of distance with my driver in the past year.

I tee it up low as well because I have found when I make my pivot forward, I get under the ball from a steep swing. I think this is because I lack the proper tilt and don't stay behind the ball. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Rsuslow said:

I have battled a slice all my life with the driver. Unfortunately my 3 Wood isn't any better. So that leaves me very short off the Tee. Although, I have lost a lot of distance with my driver in the past year.

I tee it up low as well because I have found when I make my pivot forward, I get under the ball from a steep swing. I think this is because I lack the proper tilt and don't stay behind the ball. 

Me too. Where you fitted for your driver? The reason I ask is, I bought my driver off the rack. And perhaps not surprisingly the driver has just never felt comfortable in my hands. I have a fade and I hate it. I have to aim left and loop it in to the fairway. I feel like I lose so much distance. And I don't know what the solution is, but I plan on asking my intructor tomorrow.  

I'd just about give anything to hit one of those low penetrating drives that look like they're in slow motion. I don't think you can ever be really good at this game until you can do that. FWIW I have played with other guys (very good drivers of the ball) who told me their driver fittings were pretty much useless... but I'm willing to try anything.

4 hours ago, Kalnoky said:

Me too. Where you fitted for your driver? The reason I ask is, I bought my driver off the rack. And perhaps not surprisingly the driver has just never felt comfortable in my hands. I have a fade and I hate it. I have to aim left and loop it in to the fairway. I feel like I lose so much distance. And I don't know what the solution is, but I plan on asking my intructor tomorrow.  

I'd just about give anything to hit one of those low penetrating drives that look like they're in slow motion. I don't think you can ever be really good at this game until you can do that. FWIW I have played with other guys (very good drivers of the ball) who told me their driver fittings were pretty much useless... but I'm willing to try anything.

I wasn't. It was recommended I get a shorter shaft. I have the M2 D Type which is draw friendly. I can still slice it, although not as much. I have somewhat developed a pull at times, slicemore often than a pull and every now and then I can pipe one, but I have lost distance on it.

49 minutes ago, Rsuslow said:

I wasn't. It was recommended I get a shorter shaft. 

@Rsuslow I just swallowed my pride and went for a driver fitting at lunch. The piece of mind was very much worth it.. Initially the fitter said I would need a shorter shaft, but after using the tape on the face of the driver (I put 4/5 in the sweet spot) he said I should just keep the standard length. I hit several different brands of driver and I came home with some options to think about.

I told the guy I was still taking lessons and not an experienced golfer. It didn't faze him. The way they do the fittings, they account for your mishits and he actually put together a pretty accurate picture of what my normal (good) drives look like.  

Gol darn marvel of modern science..

• Upvote 1

I think in general, turning your shoulders through out your swing is important.

I see too many players not turning their shoulders through impact. Instead they "throwing their club at the ball. or yanking the club handle through the ball, before the impact point.

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

• 3 months later...
On 2/2/2015 at 10:59 AM, mvmac said:

The hips being pre-set a little forward results in the lean/tilt/axis tilt. It's also fine to play the ball a little further forward of your left heel, like your left toe. If you're still fading/slicing, aim your body (hips/shoulders) more right...

My big miss is the high slice. Is moving the aim of the hips/shoulders to the right designed to kind of balance out the swinging left/out to in that causes it?

1 hour ago, Slugox said:

My big miss is the high slice. Is moving the aim of the hips/shoulders to the right designed to kind of balance out the swinging left/out to in that causes it?

Yes. It's to help pre-set a little outward path to the right. Typically slicers aim left (open) with their body because they fear seeing the ball go right but that actually leads them to swinging more left and across it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

16 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Yes. It's to help pre-set a little outward path to the right. Typically slicers aim left (open) with their body because they fear seeing the ball go right but that actually leads them to swinging more left and across it.

Thank you. I'm going to give this a try at the range tomorrow. To my knowledge, I'm not aiming left. I feel like I'm setup straight down the fairway. The reality, well...

I just read through this thread this morning. Very cool stuff, and the most amazing thing is all of it seems to have a reasonably attainable fix. :)

I read earlier about straightening the right arm on the downswing through impact. That's definitely an issue I fight with. How does someone work to solve that problem?

9 hours ago, Slugox said:

I feel like I'm setup straight down the fairway. The reality, well...

8 hours ago, Slugox said:

I read earlier about straightening the right arm on the downswing through impact. That's definitely an issue I fight with. How does someone work to solve that problem?

To be clear the right arm at impact is flexed less than it was at the top of the backswing but will have some flex to it. A few frames after impact it's no longer bent.

McIlroyDownswing2014.jpg

If your right arm is straightening too much, too early there is a reason for it. Something is happening during the transition/downswing that's causing the need for the right arm to straighten early. Tough to say exactly why without seeing your swing, there could be many causes.

The next step for the two comments above is to start a swing thread so we can help you on an individual level. 

https://thesandtrap.com/forums/forum/13-member-swings/

• Like 1

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 1137 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!