IGNORED

2014 Ryder Cup Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3507 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Alrighty then. Time to watch my Badgers kick the crap out of S. FL in football.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We're going to hear Brookline and Medinah adnauseam the next 24 hours. Bottom line is this......this comeback isn't happening. We were more talented in 1999 and came back. They were more talened in 2012 and came back.

They're more talented this year. They step on our throat tomorrow. I just don't see us beating Dubuisson and McDowell and Rose and McIlroy. They're too good in match play format.

Issue of Stenson's injury to be resolved too. That match could be halved already. One suspects that Webb Simpson's name in in the envelope though so you might even call that a result!. Europe might only need 3.5 pts to retain the cup as of tonight

The only way America gets back is if McGinley starts doing 'clever' things and loading his strength towards the middle and rear. Any team that has ever staged a fightback does so by winning early holes and getting momentum. All he has to do really is put his cavalry up front and trade. Tom's got little choice other than to put his strength out first and hope that they might relax a bit and start playing sublimly.

I also think it's harder to mount a fightback away from home too, albeit this particular gallery have probably been out the best behaved of the modern era

Tom's rookies have kept Team USA from devastation so far; he has to send Spieth, Reed, Walker, and Fowler out first tomorrow. Unless McGinley's been cute, he'll put his top three guys (McIlroy, Garcia, Rose) at the top of the sheet. The Americans' only chance is if the rookies can somehow upset Europe's top dogs, and that once the head falls, the body will follow.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Only way to pull off an upset is winning four early. McDowell vs. Spieth, Reed vs. Stenson, Fowler vs. McIlroy, Mahan vs. Rose and Mickelson vs. Gallacher. Outside of the MIckelson match, I have a hard time seeing us doing well in the other ones. Reed may have a good chance if Stenson's hurting. I love Jordan, but G-Mac is playing great right now. Rory-Rickie should be fun, but I give Rory the edge. And I think Rose crushes Mahan.

After seeing the pairings I'd put the chances of a USA comeback at about a 5 percent chance. Not only does Europe have some strong players at the start, but almost even better towards the end.

There is something about those matchups that have me nervous this will be over quick tommorrow.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

If the US were to somehow miraculously win 4 of the first 5, they have some matchup advantages in the middle. The problem is the Euros are stacked again in the back. I think McGinley saw what happened in 2010 when the US almost came back as the Euros put their weak guys out first. He wants to avoid that this go around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by weekend hacker1

This supposed rivalry between the two is a bit of a farce. McIlroy wins all day long!

Meh, McIlroy "wins all day long" against everyone on the American team in theory. Rookie of the year Rickie likes to give him a run for his money though. :-P

Should be fun.

Out of anyone I'd like to see clinch the last point for Europe, I'd love for it to be Gallacher, I feel bad for him and his piss-poor Friday play.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Maybe "Old School Tom" should have considered the PODS system instead of getting slaughtered in alternate shot...

Sometimes, science mixed in with old school actually wins...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If the US were to somehow miraculously win 4 of the first 5, they have some matchup advantages in the middle. The problem is the Euros are stacked again in the back. I think McGinley saw what happened in 2010 when the US almost came back as the Euros put their weak guys out first. He wants to avoid that this go around.

The Furyk-Garcia and Simpson-Poulter matches are worrying for prospects of a comeback. Team USA could have a lot of momentum through the middle of the order if it gets out to an early lead, but then it puts its two nerviest grinders out against the two most volatile performers on the European side. Those two matches have "rally killer" written all over them.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Worth remembering that Sam Torrance is a vice captain and it was he put the strength out early in 2002 to get the momentum going that even involved Phillip Price (119) beating Phil Mickelson (2). Curtis Strange put his strength at the end, by which time half America was beaten, and the other half demoralised to the point where they struggled

McGinley played on that 2002 team and was a vice captain in 2008 I think, and definitely was 2010 & 2012, as well as cutting his teeth in Seve Trophy matches. It's probably something America might need to look at. Parachuting in former great players is of limited value once the wow factor fades. McGinley has been a full time professional golf team executive manager now for about 10 years

It started to become apparent in the summer that Tom was starting to make a mess of his preparation from the moment he said one thing, and did another, moving the goalposts every time Tiger Woods failed to meet his standard. Indeed, he seems to have done something similar this week which hasn't endeared himself to Jordan Spieth who seems to have gone as close as someone in his position dare to calling Tom a liar. The politer version is that Tom promised the team one thing, Spieth and Reed met the conditions, and then Tom went back on his word.

"Tom had told us (the conditions for playing the afternoons foursomes) and I was 100 percent assumed we were going back out" - J Spieth

"I'm alright with it (pause) well actually captain I'm not alright with it" - P Reed (quoted by T Watson on what Patrick said to him)

There's a world of difference between managing a sports team, and exclusively making golf decisions. Perhaps the roles need separating a bit?

In defence of Tom, I think he's been dealt a bad hand in some areas, (Woods, Dustin, & Dufner at a push) and i think he's enjoyed some very quixotic levels of support from key players. One of them in particular only seemed to become interested once it was confirmed that another wasn't playing. What sort of a team can function like that and hope to win with any regularity?

Anyway, before we write the epitaph, it might be worth remembering that it ain't over yet. I reckon there's at least six points there at first glance for the US, plus a view others they can pick up in halves. I wouldn't call all despondent just yet

Just tuned in today to watch the re-airing. Is Poulter a man possessed or what? Good lord.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Note: This thread is 3507 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!