IGNORED

TopGolf

billchao
Note: This thread is 2966 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm looking forward to it, my golf team and I will probably take a group trip down there for a day to have fun when it opens.

Same but dang it is going to be a long drive. I just bought a home in Frederick so getting further away from the city. Though my guess is quicker to Denver from.Frederick than where I live, for one more day, in Brighton.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

TopGolf is actually what got me into golf in 2011.

it is a great concept. The one close to me is in Allen TX.

It is really the reason that i got into golf. the challenge and the competing against friends. not just hitting balls on a regular range.

after playing there for a while and borrowing my friends clubs etc I bought some clubs on Craigslist (callaway Razrx) for cheap and got more into it . and i got comfortable enough that after a few months i went with them to play on an actual course.... I stopped counting when i was obviously over 120.. :)

at any rate i liked top golf so much i ended up getting a executive membership back when it meant something... unlimited balls anytime they were open. and unlimited line jumping(aka no waiting for a stall/bay)..and their 15% on food/drinks +1 free drink a day.

it was like $125 a month... it was well worth it... then after like 1.5 years they changed the membership... no longer was it unlimited balls... it was a certain number/amount of games during the week and then like 2 free hours per month on weekends and after 6pm and they jacked the price up to like $250. basically they took away the perks and raised the price. then on top of that they changed it from pay per game to renting the booth/bay per hour, something like $45/hr(that might be high but it was ridiculous ). so on top of the $250 a month you pay $45/hr? lol

since i would often go up there by myself $45 an hour was in no way worth it. I feel also that their food and drink sales suffer. as the very few times i have gone up there everyone monitors when their hour is up and they stop ordering drinks and plan to go eat elsewhere at a nearby restaurant that has better food and cheaper.

but yes that place is a great concept and i ma surprised that other places have not opened up to compete with it.

and to those that say it wont generate serious golfers in 2012 i played 150 rounds of golf....granted i got addicted and am probably an anomaly. 2013 played around 75 rounds and in in 2014 about 100. I still suck but have made great improvements ,and am serious yet just enjoying the game.

Same but dang it is going to be a long drive. I just bought a home in Frederick so getting further away from the city. Though my guess is quicker to Denver from.Frederick than where I live, for one more day, in Brighton.

Living within five minutes from Frederick, I can confirm this as truth. It's only around an hour or so from here to Denver, depending on which area you want to go to. Being a few minutes from I-25 helps since most of you travel is at highway speed then.

We've had a Top Golf in England for quite some time, and it is far more exciting than the golf range. Far, Far more expensive, but none the less a lot more fun and I think a good attraction to people who would otherwise not visit a golf range.

The balls are of far greater quality than any range I've been to as they are pretty much new top flight balls. Granted they're not spectacular, but they do have the micro chips in which you scan the ball you're about to hit to your bay and if it goes into a target you get a distance from it, which is good to get an idea of how far you can hit a certain club, although I'm slightly skeptical about the accuracy of the distance, but it can't be much more than 5-10% off depending on from what position on the range you are.

I think its definitely worth a visit if you haven't been there before, but i wouldn't call it the future of golf.

Rob - London, England

:nike: VRS Covert Tour 2.0 Driver

:nike: VRS Covert Tour 2.0 3 Hybrid

:nike: VRS Forged Irons

:titleist: Pro V1

It's not really a place for hardcore golfers to go if they were to hit the range, but more of a sociable thing. A few beers and then the ultra competitiveness soon comes out.

Rob - London, England

:nike: VRS Covert Tour 2.0 Driver

:nike: VRS Covert Tour 2.0 3 Hybrid

:nike: VRS Forged Irons

:titleist: Pro V1

It's not really a place for hardcore golfers to go if they were to hit the range, but more of a sociable thing.

I could see myself going often for the challenges, with or without others. I think it'd be a great way to practice hitting targets.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Chelsea Piers during peak hours is basically this without the roaming waitresses and food. I'm very peculiar in that I want as much quiet and minimal movement around me while I'm practicing. Headphones can drown people out but it's still a distraction. I'm guessing TG allows smoking too. But you could time it so you go during periods when it's quiet.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

We've had a driving range here in town for years (I assume they're still open) that has a bar w/food and live music on the weekends.  I always thought that was a weird idea.  Now they're building a Top Golf location here - should be open next year sometime.  Top Golf also seems like a weird idea to me.  When I first looked into it, I was truly surprised that they had so many locations.  Just goes to show how out of touch I am with what people want these days, lol.

I probably will end up going at least once . . but from what I read/hear about it . .it doesn't sound like something I'd hate . .but not like something I'd really be into, either.

I wonder if TP is taking away from bowling market share. Not the diehards, but your corporate outings, social bowlers. Added benefit of being outside too.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I wonder if TP is taking away from bowling market share. Not the diehards, but your corporate outings, social bowlers. Added benefit of being outside too.

Well, there aren't many of them out there yet, but I would bet that they are taking some business away.  I presume they do parties as well, just like the bowling alleys.

I think it would be fun but only as a social thing with buddies, not as a good place to practice.  That would have been like trying to practice bowling on Friday or Saturday nights when the music was blaring and the blacklights were on.  Fun as heck, but not to be taken serious.

Whenever they do get out here to SoCal, I will certainly give it a shot. :)

• 2 months later...
Pat Perez
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154839485525457&fref;=nf

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 1 year later...

Just drove by and saw a sign on the road that said TopGolf coming soon in Edison, NJ. Looked on their website and saw that they are planning for early 2017. Will have to remember to check it out.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

The TopGolf in Denver has crazy long wait times.   Like one night it was 4 hours to get a bay...

It is fun though and a great way to get non golfers hooked.   My girlfriend loves it and wants to go there over a course any day.  

Edited by pumaAttack

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Note: This thread is 2966 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!