IGNORED

BIg Break Myrtle Beach (Fall 2014 Golf Channel)

inthehole
Note: This thread is 3383 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anybody else notice the ridiculous swing Anthony put on that drive that hooked about 100 yards ?     He wound up so much his backswing was about 45 degrees past parallel and he jumped off the ground with both feet at contact.     A little much there Anthony ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Anybody else notice the ridiculous swing Anthony put on that drive that hooked about 100 yards ?     He wound up so much his backswing was about 45 degrees past parallel and he jumped off the ground with both feet at contact.     A little much there Anthony ...

His takeaway on that first drive was insanely steep, and I noticed he was jumping up off at least his front foot on just about every hit. He did seem to be one of the better players, but he sure has an ugly swing.

I haven't watched much of the show, but found the last few episodes compelling. I'm sure editing plays a role, but he seems like the classic loud-mouth that underneath lacks self-confidence. He couldn't stop talking about how he was the best player out there and it was a forgone conclusion that he would beat Jimmy.

And talk about 2 of the weakest players making the finals, wow! Of the last 5 contestants, I would have said the odds that those 2 are in the finals would be very small.

So anthony cries and emily doesn't - good stuff

Jimmy won his match

Toph tried to lose his on that last hole, but Emily's meltdown was just worse on all the holes it seems.

decent play by both if you ignore Jimmy's approach on #1, and Toph's choice not to lay up.

I thought the whole time that once Jimmy found his game, he'd contend

still would have liked to see Charlie and Emily get to the end

now can we please see more than 2 or 3 holes?

Bill - 

I don't know why they don't give us match play. It would be compelling.

What's In My Bag...
Driver: Callaway Razr X Black 10.5*
FW / Hybrid: Nike T40 4W 17* / Nike CPR 24*
Irons: Callaway Razr X HL 5I-SW
Putter: Nike Method Core Putter
Balls: Nike PD Soft

I can't stand Anthony. And if he is the best on the show, I have no idea how they choose their people but I would love to get on the show if that was the case: http://egolfgateway.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/tarheel14/event/tarheel1419/contest/1/contestant/121/scorecard.htm

That was last week- 73-77?

I don't think these guys are all that good, I think that personality has mostly to do with it. There are usually one or two VERY good golfers from what I have noticed though.

I don't know why they don't give us match play. It would be compelling.

usually in the finals

it keeps it interesting/closer longer

Bill - 

I like the way it turned out, but it was unexpected as I thought Anthony had the best game of the bunch in spite of his annoying ways.  But I am pleased to see Jimmy in the finals and I really didn't have a favorite in the other match.

Butch

He was actually pretty low key on the morning drive today. He said that it was mostly just an act and he isn't really like this. He hit two shots at the simulator, one was a duck hook and the other was nice draw that was about 280+.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

He was actually pretty low key on the morning drive today. He said that it was mostly just an act and he isn't really like this. He hit two shots at the simulator, one was a duck hook and the other was nice draw that was about 280+.

I don't believe it was an act, more likely he saw himself on the show and realized what an a$$ he was and trying to do some damage control.   His arrogance is what killed him, he thought his 2i would get him near the green but it doesn't appear he even knew water was in play.

Toph hitting hybrid was even more ridiculous and shows how much guys like that depend on their caddies in making club selections.  I doubt anyone that watched the show thought Toph could carry the water with his hybrid given the lack of distance he's demonstrated all season.

I'd have preferred to see Emily and Jimmy in the final, I don't see how Toph has a chance to beat Jimmy.

Joe Paradiso

If that was an act ( so he says) well then he missed his calling and should have joined the actors guiled.

I see what you did there -

guild + beguiled = guiled

I do believe Anthony could have been an act (after the first couple shows - it got a bit 'hammed up').  I also believe that it could have been deliberate editing on the part of the show.

I suspect the truth is a bit of all of it - he is likely pretty cocky and spouted off at first, then they 'encouraged' him to ham it up a lot, and then the editors really ruined it by using it too much (to the point where it made the show worse to watch instead of adding interesting tension).  That's pretty much exactly how it appeared to me given the content and delivery, etc.

if they wanted to play up on the attitude thing, they would have gotten more mileage out of also playing more of the reactions of the other players to the trash talk - since they didn't have much, I suspect he really did tone it down with the others and only played it up on the solo interviews.....

Anthony was pretty much Don Donatello, but not as desparate and better at the game (when he was on - when he was off, he was just a DD clone).

There was a much more reprehensible guy on one of the co-ed shows, heck, he even connected with one of the female contestants.  Even that guy was liked a little bit by the others and it was clear they were more amused than annoyed by him.  And it was clear the show asked him to play it up too.

Jimmy for the win - but it'll be closer than we expect.  you heard it here first.

Bill - 

I don't believe it was an act, more likely he saw himself on the show and realized what an a$$ he was and trying to do some damage control.   His arrogance is what killed him, he thought his 2i would get him near the green but it doesn't appear he even knew water was in play. Toph hitting hybrid was even more ridiculous and shows how much guys like that depend on their caddies in making club selections.  I doubt anyone that watched the show thought Toph could carry the water with his hybrid given the lack of distance he's demonstrated all season. I'd have preferred to see Emily and Jimmy in the final, I don't see how Toph has a chance to beat Jimmy.

I didn't buy it either. He looked like he wanted to talk a lot more on MD but actually cut himself off. They really didn't let him say much and I think they wanted more "dick" behavior from him.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I'd have preferred to see Emily and Jimmy in the final, I don't see how Toph has a chance to beat Jimmy.

I would have been a more interesting final I Emily had made it and I would have liked to see one of the women in the finals.  I don't think Toph has the game to beat Jimmy, but we will see and I have seen stranger outcomes than a Toph win would be.

Butch

I didn't buy it either. He looked like he wanted to talk a lot more on MD but actually cut himself off. They really didn't let him say much and I think they wanted more "dick" behavior from him.

I think they look for someone on every show to fill that role.

If you been around some semi-pros, it pretty easy to expect that finding a couple out of 12 wouldn't be that hard a task.

But there's been one on just about every season - and they over played that person every time.

I wouldn't be surprised that half of them might even be good natured and just enjoyed playing the part (the other half would be the real thing to some extent or another).   People here seem to eat it up.

I just think they could focus on other 'colorful personalities' in general rather than just the one personality type every single season.  It's worked in a few

Bill - 

Are you guys kidding me? Anthony was a total act.

I think @rehmwa pretty much said it. There's probably a bit of it in him and they ran with it. Probably ran a bit to far, because I found it a bit tired at the end.

I have to learn to summarize better.  You did it in one line.....

Bill - 

I don't believe it was an act, more likely he saw himself on the show and realized what an a$$ he was and trying to do some damage control.   His arrogance is what killed him, he thought his 2i would get him near the green but it doesn't appear he even knew water was in play.

Toph hitting hybrid was even more ridiculous and shows how much guys like that depend on their caddies in making club selections.  I doubt anyone that watched the show thought Toph could carry the water with his hybrid given the lack of distance he's demonstrated all season.

I don't think he had to carry the water, it looked to me like his hybrid was actually 10 yards long of the pin. He just pulled it left a bit into the water.

You could tell he was terrified of Emily and over-thought that last hole, because he did not want to go into a playoff. From his comments prior to the shot, he didn't see that she had no good place to stand for that shot. She was 150 out hitting 2 and birdie would have been pretty easy if her ball had stopped a yard short of where it did or if she'd been left-handed. He feared an eagle which wasn't out of the realm of possibility given what he knew but he even said it after the shot; "make her actually eagle."

[quote name="Harp stein" url="/t/77518/big-break-myrtle-beach-fall-2014-golf-channel/120#post_1084215"]I don't think he had to carry the water, it looked to me like his hybrid was actually 10 yards long of the pin. He just pulled it left a bit into the water. [/quote]Agreed. There was no water to carry, and it wasn't even that risky of a shot for a guy at that level. But considering the circumstances, it was so unbelievably unnecessary - it was just a really really dumb decision. Anthony's shot, I don't really know. Did he hit it right where he aimed and didnt know about the water? Did he pull it? It was either a horrible shot OR a horrible decision. I would have preferred Emily v. Jimmy, but it'll still be interesting. At least it's two people playing the same tees. ;)

Note: This thread is 3383 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!