IGNORED

My Swing (DrvFrShow)

DrvFrShow
Note: This thread is 1036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrvFrShow

Just in case anyone cares to look: Game Golf Round

The hole yardages are for the white tees at 6278, but I played the 5604 yd tees. I need work on my short game.

Nice eagle!

I forgot to mention that as well. Nice job on the Eagle. That's definitely a lifetime accomplishment!

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Julia:

I just found this post of yours in the 'How far do you hit your clubs" thread.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have some interesting numbers on my Game Golf and still on the course when selecting clubs. Statistics are just numbers. You have to use your head, and you have to use the other tools on the site to look at trends. You can also look at how you play from different lies, too, like rough, fairway, bunker, and so on. If you're not doing this you're not using Game Golf to it's fullest potential.

Driver: Max 269; Avg 214. I would say that I typically drive the ball between 220 and 240 yds. unless I seriously mishit. This is shown in the data clusters

3W: Max 222 Avg 202, and I'll buy that. But I haven't used it lately and it's not in my bag. It will return, replacing my hybrid.

5W: Max 190; Avg 142 I haven't hit it that much. The club has mojo, but I don't hit it off the fairway that often. I don't need to. I've hit good shots with this club and I know that my average is well over 142 with it since I've hit it well before I had Game Golf. A sample of 4 shots with two mishits is not large enough. But but 180 to 190? See the 4 iron.

H: Max 185; Avg 126. I hate this club with a passion. I've never hit a decent shot with it. The 185 went into a fairway bunker.

4i: Max 217; Avg 212. I bought this club this year. It will replace my hybrid. I've used it as a driving iron and off the deck. I love this club. I love hitting a long iron. Yes, I'm that girl. It's in Ricky Fowler Orange. 217 yd low stinger off the tee dead center of the fairway. Yeah baby!

5i: Max 206; Avg 176. I've used this club a lot, and I don't always take a full swing with it. It's my 180 club.

6i : Max 208; Avg 167. The 208 was an outlier - hard fairway and a lot of roll. It's my 170 club, although I've hit some fatties with it that lowered the average.

7i: Max 188; Avg 163. I ate my Wheaties the day I hit the 188, and I had a tailwind. It's usually my 155 - 160 club.

8i: Max 169; Avg 146 . Tailwind and Wheaties for the 169. 146 is dead on.

9i: Max 149; Avg 122. Again that tailwind and Wheaties for the 149. 122 is short. I'm usually about 127 . I think the average is lower because I hit partial 9 iron shots.

PW: Max 141; Avg 113 . Can you say skull? Okay the 113-115 is dead on for this one.

GW: Max 137; Avg 99. Now the 137 is pure Wheaties. I don't know what happened. The ball went high in the air and blew over the green. I can't blame the wind. I just simply overswung. Since I hit partials with this club 103 is more accurate for a full shot.

The other two wedges we won't even look at, but I'll guess that 90 for the SW, and 75 for the LW would be average for a full shot.

I guess what's bothering me right now is this: why should I even carry a 3W, 5W or a hybrid when I can hit my 4 iron further than any of them and with more control? I guess the 3W might be smart as a backup for my driver in case something physically goes wrong with it. But the 5W and the Hybrid? Why?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK....I now believe you.....a 60+ yr old woman with a 25-33 handicap who can:

- Hit her 4 iron 217 yds max with a 212 avg....meaning you worst 4 iron only travels a paltry 207 yds....lol

- Hits a 5i, 6i, 7i, a maximum distance of 206, 208, 188 yards, respectively.

I've been playing golf for 47 years and a have played to single digit handicap ranging from 5-9 in the last 3 decades....6.7 right now....so I consider myself a fairly competent player...not great though.

Maybe I should drive down to Tacoma and you can show me how to hit the ball so far......I've never come close to those maximum distances you've achieved with your 5-7 irons.

And.... block.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

And.... block.

I see you deleted your post...just because you've been a gym rat since the 80's...and strength doesn't necessarily equate to ball speed....I'm still not buying that a 62 yr old women, with some recent physical ailments, who has only taken up the game in the last few years and plays to a cap ranging from 21-33 can hit a 6 iron 208 yards...yes I know it's been dry here in the PNW...but not that dry.

I just saw Ricky Fowler hit his 6 iron 184 yds...and that Ricky Freakin Fowler.

Even at 170 yards....I find it hard to believe a 20-33 cap 62 yr old women can hit her 6 iron 170 with consistency....meaning you with some 185 yds to offset the 6 irons you chunk at 155 yds unless your golf course is SeaTac airport.

As a 6.7 cap...I wish I had your long iron prowess..

I see you deleted your post...just because you've been a gym rat since the 80's...and strength doesn't necessarily equate to ball speed....I'm still not buying that a 62 yr old women, with some recent physical ailments, who has only taken up the game in the last few years and plays to a cap ranging from 21-33 can hit a 6 iron 208 yards...yes I know it's been dry here in the PNW...but not that dry.

Even at 170 yards....I find it hard to believe a 20-33 cap 62 yr old women can hit her 6 iron 170 with consistency....meaning you with some 185 yds to offset the 6 irons you chunk at 155 yds unless your golf course is SeaTac airport.

Swing threads are not the place to troll and harass people about their golf game, they are the place to HELP people with their golf game.

If you want to harass somebody about their distance claims in the distance thread, then respond there and leave this thread alone.

Quote:

And.... block.

Julia has earned a TON of respect here, and we stand by her. She is not one to exaggerate. Not one to boast/brag. She is, if anything, rather self-deprecating. She has had her ups and downs with the game, and we have all enjoyed her journey and continue to want to watch her improve. Hopefully, your tone is more curious than it is about calling her out.

Edit: what @Golfingdad said.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

[QUOTE name="Mr22putt" url="/t/77836/my-swing-drvfrshow/90_30#post_1201162"]   [QUOTE name="DrvFrShow" url="/t/77836/my-swing-drvfrshow/90#post_1201149"]   And.... block. [/QUOTE] I see you deleted your post...just because you've been a gym rat since the 80's...and strength doesn't necessarily equate to ball speed....I'm still not buying that a 62 yr old women, with some recent physical ailments, who has only taken up the game in the last few years and plays to a cap ranging from 21-33 can hit a 6 iron 208 yards...yes I know it's been dry here in the PNW...but not that dry. I just saw Ricky Fowler hit his 6 iron 184 yds...and that Ricky Freakin Fowler. Even at 170 yards....I find it hard to believe a 20-33 cap 62 yr old women can hit her 6 iron 170 with consistency....meaning you with some 185 yds to offset the 6 irons you chunk at 155 yds unless your golf course is SeaTac airport. As a 6.7 cap...I wish I had your long iron prowess.. [/QUOTE] Julia has earned a TON of respect here, and we stand by her. She is not one to exaggerate. Not one to boast/brag. She is, if anything, rather self-deprecating. She has had her ups and downs with the game, and we have all enjoyed her journey and continue to want to watch her improve. Hopefully, your tone is more curious than it is about calling her out. Edit: what @Golfingdad said.

I third that one.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I just have a hard time believing someone with her physical and skill level make-up hitting the ball as far as she claims...but she can write and believe whatever she wants.
Julia seems to focused on distance...it's a common theme...even in her avatar and alias name.

Maybe if Julia focused more on scrambling and scoring she'd obtain her goal to be a single digit handicap faster and with more ease.

If you look at the top 3 RR ranked LPGA pros....Inbee, Lydia and Lewis...they are not considered bombers...yet bombers like Lexi, Wie, Lincicome, Klatten, Korda lag well behind in RR points, wins and majors.
It all boils down to scoring.

I just have a hard time believing someone with her physical and skill level make-up hitting the ball as far as she claims...but she can write and believe whatever she wants.

Julia seems to focused on distance...it's a common theme...even in her avatar and alias name.

Maybe if Julia focused more on scrambling and scoring she'd obtain her goal to be a single digit handicap faster and with more ease.

If you look at the top 3 RR ranked LPGA pros....Inbee, Lydia and Lewis...they are not considered bombers...yet bombers like Lexi, Wie, Lincicome, Klatten, Korda lag well behind in RR points, wins and majors.

It all boils down to scoring.

That's all fine and dandy, but if you're in her swing thread, then you should be either trying to help her game or quietly trying to steal some provided information to help your own game.  That's the purpose, IMO, of these threads.

So, if you are trying to help (and I think this last post sounds more like that may be the case) then I would recommend phrasing it differently, because calling people a liar or delusional (if you refuse to believe somebodys distance claims, it kind of has to be one or the other) is usually not very productive.

That's all I was getting at. :beer:

• Upvote 2

Quote:

And.... block.

Just so you know, Julia is about 6'2" tall and pretty athletic.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

+1 "you should be either trying to help her game or quietly trying to steal some provided information to help your own game"

- adam -

Routine: work, eat, golf, sleep, repeat

Clubs: (All Used TaylorMade) Burner Superfast Driver, JetSpeed 3&5 FW, Rescue Hybrid, Burner 2.0 Irons 5-AW, ATV Wedge 56*, White Ghost blade putter

OK....I now believe you.....a 60+ yr old woman with a 25-33 handicap who can:

- Hit her 4 iron 217 yds max with a 212 avg....meaning you worst 4 iron only travels a paltry 207 yds....lol

- Hits a 5i, 6i, 7i, a maximum distance of 206, 208, 188 yards, respectively.

I've been playing golf for 47 years and a have played to single digit handicap ranging from 5-9 in the last 3 decades....6.7 right now....so I consider myself a fairly competent player...not great though.

Maybe I should drive down to Tacoma and you can show me how to hit the ball so far......I've never come close to those maximum distances you've achieved with your 5-7 irons.

Do you have anything constructive to add or do you just want to massage your bruised ego because a 60+ year old woman can hit a 6 iron longer than you can?

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Do you have anything constructive to add or do you just want to massage your bruised ego because a 60+ year old woman can hit a 6 iron longer than you can?

Yup. Some friendly advice, @Mr22putt : don't come into people's swing threads and be a jerk. I don't care if you think they are lying; it's none of your business and it's not the purpose of this thread. By acting like that you've drug her thread way off topic and forced other people to do so as well. Please don't do this again.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

OK, back on topic please.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Well, my playing season is over. I'm in the medicare donut. Just got my migraine medication bill for $365 this month. Fall and the rains can come now. There went my green fees for October. I'm in winter mode now. I have the driving range membership, and that's all I've got.

My winter plan:

1. strength training and weight loss. - I need to lose 20 lbs. and I want to strengthen my legs and core muscles. I also need to maintain my shoulder strength.

2. at the range - continue to work on my primary piece of getting my weight forward on my downswing. I think that my being somewhat overweight and my leg muscles fatiguing has not helped me in this. I do fine early in rounds but the fat shots start happening later.

3. take a lesson every month to stay on track - my pro gives lessons all winter. I'm grooving the swing and what I need to do is remember to make the same swing at the range that I make during the lessons. It seems that I remember to do everything right while he's watching, but have a case of amnesia at the range. He takes multiple videos, we look at the numbers and everything is fine. I'm making my takeaway fine, I'm making my transition fine, and making solid contact with my hands in proper position. Swing path looks good. Then I go to the range and start getting sloppy. At my lesson, he doesn't even say anything to get me back on track. It's really weird. It's like the tooth that stops hurting when you go to the dentist.

It's like I need the coach there every day for a week or so.

Julia

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

So I took a lesson a couple of weeks ago. I've been going to the range and working on exactly what he told me to work on.

I took one of my alignment sticks and marked my shoulder width on it so that I can learn to be consistent with how far apart I set my feet. This is important because I've noticed it's these little things that can be an inch off that can throw things in disarray. I've noticed also that sometimes I tend to stand just slightly too close to the ball. When I do this I will notice it before I just as I start my backswing. I should just step away and readdress the ball because if I don't I try to "rescue" the shot and either come over the top and pull it, or try to "save the shot" and hit a hosel rocket. A1 position is extremely important.

It's difficult to mark the distance away because it changes slightly with each club. It's a feel thing. I have to feel comfortable and my arms need to be able to hang relaxed.

So I practiced my 5 ball groups today with full swings working on getting my weight forward on my downswing which is my constant battle. When I get it right and get the timing going for several swings in a row it feels great and the shots go where I want. Then I'll miss one, overcompensate on the next one, and get back to it again. Golf can be so frustrating. I'll try to get a video up soon.

Then I hit my driver. 215 carry with this thing which after hitting 60 balls really isn't too bad, and the shots aren't uncontrolled. It's just that I need to tee the ball a lot higher than the tees at the range. So I moved to a station with an older thinner mat and the tee is longer there, and I get a better launch angle, but something just doesn't feel right.

So after my session, I went to Pro Golf Discount and proved something - it isn't the club. 1700-2000 rpm total spin? Really? I tried a couple of other drivers in the shop. That's what I'm getting on the machine. No differences with any of the other drivers. The ball goes out like a rocket but it doesn't want to stay in the air. It's the same I see at the range. My launch angle is fine. 13.5 to 14 degrees. Oh in the summer this was great, the ball rolled a mile on rock hard fairways. I must just be punching the ball. The shots are going fairly straight. They tell me ideally I want about 2400-2500 rpm.

Julia

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

I played my last round of the season and everything showed up for the game. Despite the rocky start to the year with the injuries I can't say that I'm all that disappointed with the way things finished. I shot a 94 in the final tournament, second overall gross in my flight, but that left me at +1 net for the round.

The Good: My driving has improved dramatically this season. I credit this to both my swing coach and the site video showing how to set up for a driver and how to stop slicing. Last season my driving was very inconsistent, and I put the driver away, bought a 3 wood and used that for the early part of this year. Starting in July, after I recovered from my shoulder and knee injuries, I set out to really learn how to hit a driver and can now get 225 yds carry on a routine basis, along with a 14.5 degree launch angle. During the tournament I made 50% accuracy with it and wasn't afraid to use it. During the off season I have to work on how to get rid of my miss which is a slight block. I hit it dead straight or block it.

Next up was my wedge game. I was quite surprised at how well my wedge game was during the tournament. While I'm still uncomfortable with my LW in real life situations, I'm quite comfortable with pitching with my SW and was hitting those 45 yd pitches with it just fine. I need to work on hitting my LW.

The Bad: Iron play is improving although it's not as consistent as I'd like it. I still need to work on getting my weight forward on my downswing. I think some leg and glute work in the gym will help here. Also I need to continue with my rotator cuff stretches and exercises to keep that area strong and flexible so I can cut through the long wet rough next spring. Long wet rough is very fatiguing.

The Ugly: Putting was a disaster. 42 putts. I gave away 6 strokes there. That 94 could have easily been an 88. Then again I have not been practicing my putting. That's something I need to work on in the spring.

I have difficulty reading poa annua greens. I can read bent grass and fescue greens just fine. I see the grain and contours in them. But poa annua has no grain, and that also makes seeing the contours difficult. It requires a different putting technique than bent. The surface can be bumpy, too, from uneven growth during the day. This is especially bad in the afternoon. I found that a short accelerating stroke works better because the ball stays on the line on the bumpy surfaces, whereas that's disastrous on bent where you don't want to accelerate. I also use my Odyssey putter in the spring with its 4 degree loft and switch to my 2.5 degree lofted SeeMore in July. Then back to the Odyssey when the rains start.

The winter program will be to take monthly lessons and continue to groove the swing we're working on. When the weather gets a little drier, I'll start working on my bunker game and putting. I have to get that putter back under control.

Also I want to lose about 20 lbs and strengthen my glutes, quads, and calf muscles. And keep my shoulders strong and increase flexibility. Also work on core muscles and overall endurance.

Edited by DrvFrShow

Julia

Spoiler

• 1 month later...

The weather has been too cold to hit driver at the driving range. It's been in the upper 20s low 30s at night, and the balls are like rocks. Daytime temps in the mid 40s. Even with the heaters this is not warm. 

I've decided to use this thread more as a range log to note what I'm doing and any progress. This is more for me than anyone else. It's difficult to set up video at the range since it usually is pretty active because it's the only heated range in the area unless you drive another 50 miles north. I plan to take lessons this winter, and know I need one right now, but my medical prescription benefits ran out for the year and I've got one that costs $350/mo, so there goes lessons until things reset in January.

What I'm doing is self-diagnosis in the stations with the mirrors, and working on things I was taught during my lessons over the summer: 1) getting my hips moving forward; 2) setting my wrists. We were trying to counter my tendency to pull hook, and I was about to schedule a lesson when the medical benefits ran out. I noticed that if I cupped my left wrist a bit when I set it that it would make the shaft more vertical at the top of the backswing, and this would cause me to reroute the club naturally to an inside out path like Leadbetter's A-swing which with this last move I'm essentially doing. At first it was a fade, but then it became a push, and finally a draw.

Also something else happened: I'm hanging onto the lag longer and when I get the hips moving forward like I'm supposed to, I picked up a couple yards without seeming to have to swing quite as hard. This is taking some getting used to.

11/15: Conditions - cloudy, 51F, breezy south. 9 iron to 125 yd target. I seemed to be getting it finally. The target is on the left side of the green, and most of my shots are hitting the right center. I feel like I'm getting my weight forward and my wrists set. This results in a "thump" on the mat and good ball flight. Occasionally I don't set my wrists and the result is a thin shot. 8 iron to 143 yds had similar results with the occasional push right followed by the overcompensation hook left. I have to learn to go directly back to what I'm supposed to do rather than let my brain make that overcompensation. It's been continual repetition of the swing over and over and over again, trying to get things more automatic. I have to focus on getting three things right: 1) rotation of shoulders on the takeaway; 2) the wrist set before my arms are at 90 degrees, and 3) that little wrist cup at the 3/4 position which is now the top of my backswing. It's easier to do that in one move to 90 degrees. The next one is starting the downswing with the little hip bump.

11/20: Conditions - clear, 44F, breezy from north. 9 iron to 125 yd target. I couldn't seem to get my hips moving forward and tended to pull a lot of shots left. Slow practice didn't seem to matter. The heat was being blown away. Finished with the 9 iron and moved to the 8 iron at 143 yds. No difference. The sun started to go down and it got worse. The pro was taking his lessons to the indoor station. Wind chill in the 30s and my ears are hurting. I'm done. I figure that fighting the weather and improperly executing the swing will only hurt me in the long run. Go home and get warm.

11/22: Conditons - clear, 48F, breezy south. South breeze the area is protected. This is probably my last day until the end of the month. We're expecting another cold snap. Possible snow. Then it'll warm up into the low 50s. Going home was probably a good thing, but after shanking the first 5 balls with my 9 iron I began to wonder. I had to break down everything again. I made ten shots at about 70% effort which surprisingly didn't take much off the distance but did wonders for accuracy. Then I worked back up to a full swing. Once I did this the rest of the session went well. Except for a few shots, my 8 iron also was reasonably close to target - I did push a couple well right and hooked a couple well left, but out of 25 shots that's better than usual. I also decided to give myself a break on the 173 yd target and instead of trying to carry it with my 6 iron, I used my 5 iron off the deck. I can carry it with my 6 iron but that's a 100% swing. The 5 iron is more of a normal swing. By the time I get to my LW for cool down it's hard. I notice my lower back muscle on the left side starts getting sore, and this makes things difficult to stay in posture. I should take a break before hitting my LW but the weather is so cold that I want to just get the session done. 

Julia

Spoiler

Note: This thread is 1036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!