IGNORED

Do Slow Players Know They're Slow?

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3448 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do You Think Slow Players Know They're Slow?

• Yes, they know but don't care.
    • No, they think their pace is faster than it actually is.
    • They aren't aware that a round of golf should be less than 6 hours ;-)

I agree that most slow players don't know they're slow.  It's an awareness issue, IMO.  This is slightly different from an education issue, because it's likely they know how to speed up, if necessary, and most of the time they know what a slow pace of play is.  They simply don't think they're the problem, or realize that certain parts of their routine are a direct contributor to slow play.

That is one of the reasons why it's actually the most difficult to tell these players to speed up.  Because it's a shock to their system to realize they're the problem, and they might get defensive about it.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

• 2 weeks later...

I walked off the course last time out because of two numbskulls I was playing with. I knew that I would never make it through 18 with these guys. 6-8 shots to hit the green, slow pre shot routines, not ready to play, no real knowledge of the game. I told them at one point that it's OK to be a beginner but you still have to be respectful of others. Get to your ball and be ready to hit as soon as you can. That fell on deaf ears.

I think courses should have rules posted and in each cart stating what ready golf is and how they expect it to be it to be applied at this course. Many golfers don't know, know one tells them. You can teach etiquette!

I walked off the course last time out because of two numbskulls I was playing with. I knew that I would never make it through 18 with these guys. 6-8 shots to hit the green, slow pre shot routines, not ready to play, no real knowledge of the game. I told them at one point that it's OK to be a beginner but you still have to be respectful of others. Get to your ball and be ready to hit as soon as you can. That fell on deaf ears.

I think courses should have rules posted and in each cart stating what ready golf is and how they expect it to be it to be applied at this course. Many golfers don't know, know one tells them. You can teach etiquette!

Good to get this off your chest. ;-)

Next time, just teach them to move forward. Walk to the green after they make their 4th or 5th shot. Send a message that it's time. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Most slow players know they are slow.   Unfortunately, some don't care.   They paid good money, and they are there to "enjoy" a lazy afternoon.   Nothing irks me like a slow group falling behind a hole and their body language resembles a snail marching to its death.  Some even practice several more putts after a miss instead of hurrying back to their cart.

Besides the "how do you do," the next common thing we say to our golf partners is "are you ok to play ready golf?"   This works almost always.

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Are you sure you weren't in my foursome Saturday? There was a foursome in front of us like you describe all day long. One guy playing from the tips who shouldntve been back there, three guys who were just awful and slow. We waited on the every single shot until the last two holes. #16 is a short 280 yd par 4. My son who is a big hitter, waited until they were at their carts before hitting and dropped one 20 ft from the pin. For some reason, the group in front of us took offense at that (the ball landed nowhere near them), they waited on the next tee to inform us that they were "right there" and my sons response was "yea we know, you've been right there all day". They grumbled something and drove off. For the last two holes they deliberately played slower, multiple practice swings both before and after hitting and they guy playing from the tips decided to practice his putting on the final two greens. Some folks just don't care about being courteous to those stuck playing behind them.
my get up and go musta got up and went..

Are you sure you weren't in my foursome Saturday? There was a foursome in front of us like you describe all day long. One guy playing from the tips who shouldntve been back there, three guys who were just awful and slow. We waited on the every single shot until the last two holes. #16 is a short 280 yd par 4. My son who is a big hitter, waited until they were at their carts before hitting and dropped one 20 ft from the pin. For some reason, the group in front of us took offense at that (the ball landed nowhere near them), they waited on the next tee to inform us that they were "right there" and my sons response was "yea we know, you've been right there all day". They grumbled something and drove off. For the last two holes they deliberately played slower, multiple practice swings both before and after hitting and they guy playing from the tips decided to practice his putting on the final two greens.

Some folks just don't care about being courteous to those stuck playing behind them.

There was a foursome all lined up in front of us this morning. My partner and I were joking that they looked like ducks in shooting gallery, all lined up at the same distance. I was sure they were beyond my reach, but my partner recommended that I wait and I agreed to be safe. I hit a perfect shot flying the area where they were standing a few moments ago landing a few steps behind their second shot. Oops. Well they took a lot longer on the putting green than before. Almost like they were taking practice putts (maybe they were). I think once people perceive they've been hit into, they take on a defensive stance?

All I can say is "Oops". :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

We have to be careful judging the "slow" group in front.   If they are not slow but your group is just too damn fast and impatient, I say you keep your balls in check. ;-)

In a recent round, I talked to a marshal passing by to check the pace of front groups.   I swore they were going very slow but the marshal said that they are going at a recommended pace (4 1/2 hours on weekend).   There is not much he can/will do.

I played in the rain and wind last Saturday by myself, no groups in front.   It took me 2.5 hours to finish the round.   I must be slowing down.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I think most slow players don' t know they are slow. As was mentioned previously you see how the pros play on TV, sometimes finishing their rounds after dusk. The pros don't play with any urgency to finish. There is a lot of money riding on every stroke. We all know the reasons for slow play, looking for lost balls, hitting multiple balls, numerous practice swings, not being ready to play, excess chatting, lack of skill etc... Course setup can help ie: removing some trees, cutting rough to a height were errant balls can be found. At my home course one of the marshalls is very effective at keeping things moving. He patrols the course and asks each group "How is the game going today? Is the pace of play OK? Is the group ahead moving or are they holding you up? Everybody becomes aware of the pace without being singled out as the offender.

In a recent round, I talked to a marshal passing by to check the pace of front groups.   I swore they were going very slow but the marshal said that they are going at a recommended pace (4 1/2 hours on weekend).   There is not much he can/will do.

I think that most courses should revisit their pace of play policies.  They should include 2 numbers.   The first one is the recommended pace of play, usually at somewhere around 4 hours or just over depending on course difficulty.  The second one is the absolute maximum that will be tolerated, and that should never be more than 4½ hours.  If a group is over the recommended pace but inside of the max, then they should still be prodded by the ranger to pick up the pace.  If they are over the maximum pace then they will be required to pick up and move forward to their proper position.  This is just about the only way I can see for a course to truly manage a policy fairly and impartially.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by mvmac

From my experience slow golfers don't actually know they're slow and they'll obviously take it personally it they're "called out". They might concede that at times they're slow but not most the time. They'll also argue that if they really needed to pick up the pace, they could.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Most slow players know they are slow.   Unfortunately, some don't care.   They paid good money, and they are there to "enjoy" a lazy afternoon.

rkim291968 hit the nail on the head. It is my experience that golfers realize that they are slow, but since they have paid their money, which usually includes a cart, that they are entitled to take extra time, so that they can enjoy the "full experience."  (see next comment)

The "full experience," to me, is to play like the pros play. MrFlipper must be a senior golfer, like myself, who saw a young Jack Nicklaus, a notorious slow player in the 1960's, stand over a putt for what seemed like a millennium. And now tour caddies, especially those on the LPGA, take forever discussing putt lines, approach shots and lining up their golfer. If the pros, who are better and smarter golfers than average Joe's, take that long to figure out a shot, Joe figures that he deserves the same courtesy.

If the PGA and LPGA would put greater time demands on their players, I think the entire game would benefit.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

I think it is an even mix between the first two choices (Don't care or are unaware). I know a lot of both. And most of the ones who don't care are pretty good players, while the majority who are unaware are high handicappers.

Bill M

The "full experience," to me, is to play like the pros play. MrFlipper must be a senior golfer, like myself, who saw a young Jack Nicklaus, a notorious slow player in the 1960's, stand over a putt for what seemed like a millennium. And now tour caddies, especially those on the LPGA, take forever discussing putt lines, approach shots and lining up their golfer. If the pros, who are better and smarter golfers than average Joe's, take that long to figure out a shot, Joe figures that he deserves the same courtesy.

If the PGA and LPGA would put greater time demands on their players, I think the entire game would benefit.

+1.   In fact, hand the players a range finder, and ban caddies from aiding players in any way.    That will speed up the play, not to mention put more $ in player's pocket (who want to pay caddies 8% of winning when all they is carry bags?  There are many would be caddies who will carry their bags for free. )

(Or, I can join them by hiring a caddy for my club tournament.   He needs to double as a sports psychologist and be willing to work for peanuts (split winning prize - all $150 of it)).

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

We have to be careful judging the "slow" group in front.   If they are not slow but your group is just too damn fast and impatient, I say you keep your balls in check.  ;-) In a recent round, I talked to a marshal passing by to check the pace of front groups.   I swore they were going very slow but the marshal said that they are going at a recommended pace (4 1/2 hours on weekend).   There is not much he can/will do.   I played in the rain and wind last Saturday by myself, no groups in front.   It took me 2.5 hours to finish the round.   I must be slowing down.

It was definetly the group in front. This course has clocks situated on a couple holes to let you know if you're on pace. We were an hour behind schedule and after the second hole, I never saw the group in front of the guys ahead of us.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

We have to be careful judging the "slow" group in front.   If they are not slow but your group is just too damn fast and impatient, I say you keep your balls in check.

I played in the rain and wind last Saturday by myself, no groups in front.   It took me 2.5 hours to finish the round.   I must be slowing down.

It was definetly the group in front. This course has clocks situated on a couple holes to let you know if you're on pace. We were an hour behind schedule and after the second hole, I never saw the group in front of the guys ahead of us.

I would have flagged down a marshal, or called the pro shop to send someone out.   Otherwise, they would not know they are slow, or they would simply not care, damn b--tards..

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I think a good majority of slow play comes from playing badly.Lets be honest hear folks.Majority of golfers have a tough time breaking 90 and all them strokes take time and its frustrating for them.Unless someone is gonna pick up after triple bogey,they are going to take more time when struggling trying to figure it out.Ive been playing over 20 years and I never go back to the courses I first started on and learned to play because I know the clientel there and know it would take some time playing.Id say 70% of slow golfers are because of bad play.10% are just really methodical and feel like they have to feel absolutely ready to hit.20% id say are just plain ignorant to the fact they taking way too much time.

Cleared the course for the    PREZ?  U must be joking if you   offer that statement as a question. When WBush came to my town, as Prez, they cleared the Interstate Hiway and stopped all traffic, on and off, for miles.  And when the Prez goes to foreign lands, they clear the entire hotel for him.

Of course, I was not in Vegas but  all things considered, i don't think i am mistaken on this.

I think a good majority of slow play comes from playing badly.Lets be honest hear folks.Majority of golfers have a tough time breaking 90 and all them strokes take time and its frustrating for them.Unless someone is gonna pick up after triple bogey,they are going to take more time when struggling trying to figure it out.

This is a good point that it takes more time when you are hitting more shots. However, being a bad golfer should not be an excuse for slow play.  I've played with a lot of bad golfers over the last 50 years, but few, if any, of them were slow golfers.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Note: This thread is 3448 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!