IGNORED

The "Ball Under a Foot of Water" Challenge

MS256
Note: This thread is 3343 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Pretty sure everyone here would gladly send you $10 each if you can demonstrate this. No tricks - we want to see a ball under 1 foot of water a few feet from the shore.

I'm in. @MS256 , do you take Canadian? As many attempts as you care to take, but we get to watch them all.

FWIW, I don't think you are lying, I think you vastly overestimated the depth and won't admit to that possibility.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Some back-of-the-envelope math tells me that a golf ball has a maximum density of ~1129 kg/m3. Water, by contrast, is 1000 kg/m3. So golf balls do sink, but just barely, and pretty slowly. That is, the buoyant force very nearly balances out gravity.

Knowing this, we can devise a simple, quick, rough experiment to find out how far a golf ball, moving at a certain speed, can move through water. All you need to do is throw a golf ball downward into water and measure how deep it goes.

Easiest way would be to fill a clear plastic bin to different heights with water. If you hear a thud, you've hit the bottom. Keep filling and throwing until you find the point where there's no thud. Or when you need Tommy John surgery.

Obviously, there are some other simplifications. We're overlooking things like surface tension, lift, that density difference, etc.

I'm not sure how this experiment is supposed to work, because gravity will always pull the ball down to the bottom, eventually.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator

LOL. But I was there.

And I understand basic physics. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamo

Some back-of-the-envelope math tells me that a golf ball has a maximum density of ~1129 kg/m3. Water, by contrast, is 1000 kg/m3. So golf balls do sink, but just barely, and pretty slowly. That is, the buoyant force very nearly balances out gravity.

Knowing this, we can devise a simple, quick, rough experiment to find out how far a golf ball, moving at a certain speed, can move through water. All you need to do is throw a golf ball downward into water and measure how deep it goes.

Easiest way would be to fill a clear plastic bin to different heights with water. If you hear a thud, you've hit the bottom. Keep filling and throwing until you find the point where there's no thud. Or when you need Tommy John surgery.

Obviously, there are some other simplifications. We're overlooking things like surface tension, lift, that density difference, etc.

I'm not sure how this experiment is supposed to work, because gravity will always pull the ball down, eventually.

Dude, really?

The ball won't make a thud from floating down...

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Dude, really?

If you are throwing the ball straight down into a bucket, it seems like the ball will eventually hit bottom. The balls density is still greater than water. Water is virtually incompressible, therefore the ball will always hit bottom.

So, really, I'm not sure how it's supposed to work. Can you explain the details to me?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I'm not sure how this experiment is supposed to work, because gravity will always pull the ball down to the bottom, eventually.

Eventually, of course. But you'd notice a big difference in the speed at which the ball would hit the bottom of the bucket. Hence the changing "thud noises." If there's only an inch or two of water, you'll get a loud noise. If there's a foot and a half, you won't hear much at all. Look, it's not perfect, by clearly people have no clue how far golf ball move through water. It's just a rough estimate.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Dude, really?

If you are throwing the ball straight down into a bucket, it seems like the ball will eventually hit bottom. The balls density is still greater than water. Water is virtually incompressible, therefore the ball will always hit bottom.

So, really, I'm not sure how it's supposed to work. Can you explain the details to me?

I think you'd be able to distinguish between a ball that impacted the bottom of the bucket from the velocity created by the throw and a ball that "eventually hit bottom."

Now pony up your $10 everyone!

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Eventually, of course. But you'd notice a big difference in the speed at which the ball would hit the bottom of the bucket. Hence the changing "thud noises."

If there's only an inch or two of water, you'll get a loud noise. If there's a foot and a half, you won't hear much at all.

Look, it's not perfect, by clearly people have no clue how far golf ball move through water. It's just a rough estimate.

For the record (and calculations) it didn't feel like I hit the ball at all. Maybe I did and maybe I didn't but it just felt like I threw a whole lot of water on the green and the ball was in with it (to my surprise).

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamo

Eventually, of course. But you'd notice a big difference in the speed at which the ball would hit the bottom of the bucket. Hence the changing "thud noises."

If there's only an inch or two of water, you'll get a loud noise. If there's a foot and a half, you won't hear much at all.

Look, it's not perfect, by clearly people have no clue how far golf ball move through water. It's just a rough estimate.

For the record (and calculations) it didn't feel like I hit the ball at all. Maybe I did and maybe I didn't but it just felt like I threw a whole lot of water on the green and the ball was in with it (to my surprise).

Well yeah, I assume the only way to even think of attempting this type of shot is to treat it like an explosion shot out of a bunker or heavy wet rough, but I got $10 sez it wasn't any where near a foot.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Sure, I get it.

I have a strike plate (a load cell plate with a 1msec response time) and a swimming pool. Presume an air cannon made out of a PVC pipe and compressor would work. I have some proximity detectors that can measure the velocity of the ball before going into the pool, but need to setup a scope to measure the time between pulses.

Not sure if this test is worthwhile or not, because it will take me the better part of a free day to do it. If I can interest my son into doing it this Saturday or Sunday afternoon, then I'll do it.

Let me know if you have any other inputs for this experiment, and I agree that the path of the ball is not known but hoping that the strike plate is big enough for the deeper tests.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator
Not sure if this test is worthwhile or not, because it will take me the better part of a free day to do it. If I can interest my son into doing it this Saturday or Sunday afternoon, then I'll do it.

It's not.

So, @MS256 , are you going to do it? Because as politely as possible, I'm calling complete and utter BS.

Pretty sure you can make $100+ if you're able to do it. If you fail, we get to assign your avatar and user title for one week for each person who is willing to put up $10 (nothing generally offensive to a typical person).

Who's in?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It's not.

So, @MS256, are you going to do it? Because as politely as possible, I'm calling complete and utter BS.

Pretty sure you can make $100+ if you're able to do it. If you fail, we get to assign your avatar and user title for one week for each person who is willing to put up $10 (nothing generally offensive to a typical person).

Who's in?

@iacas

@Lihu

@jamo

@Golfingdad

@Shorty

@Ernest Jones

@boogielicious

@cipher

Okay, I'm in. How will we wire the money to MS256 if he should be able to do it?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator

Okay, I'm in. How will we wire the money to MS256 if he should be able to do it?

PayPal.

[QUOTE name="iacas" url="/t/78113/ms256-vs-physics-10-wagers/18#post_1074632"]   It's not. So, @MS256 , are you going to do it? Because as politely as possible, I'm calling complete and utter BS. Pretty sure you can make $100+ if you're able to do it. If you fail, we get to assign your avatar and user title for one week for each person who is willing to put up $10 (nothing generally offensive to a typical person). Who's in? [LIST] [*] @iacas [*] @Lihu [*] @jamo [*] @Golfingdad [*] @Shorty [*] @Ernest Jones [*] @boogielicious [*] @cipher [/LIST] [/QUOTE] Okay, I'm in. How will we wire the money to MS256 if he should be able to do it?

Easiest way is e-mail money transfer. One of us can act as an escrow or we can just leave to good faith all around. Any non-payers will be tared and feathered. Anyway, I don't see any $$ being paid out.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

So what's the over under if he ends up hurting himself swinging hard or falling and ending up completely under water. :)

• Administrator
So what's the over under if he ends up hurting himself swinging hard or falling and ending up completely under water. :)

I don't know. Add your name to the list if you're in.

Note: This thread is 3343 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!