IGNORED

Wow, Tiger got Dissed by Dan Jenkins?

Gunther
Note: This thread is 3380 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

but yet you compared a surgeon to a golfer????? Since you opened the door I will point out that some surgeons play music in their operating room. Many have heart monitors beeping, and pumps pumping, compressors making noises. Thereby a surgeon does not have complete silence like soo many of the golfers we watch. And yet Surgeons can deal with life and death, not playing for money they dont need. And further, if something goes wrong and the patient flat lines, there is alot more commotion.  And if the Golfer is standing over a putt worth 5million, then it is already in their head. They or anyone can not think of what the putt is, just like a surgeon does not think of what it means to slice a vein, you just do it, because you know you can. A musician can not think " I have 1 measure to the bridge" they have know it. You think John Bonham counted 6/8 during the Ocean, or he just played what he knew? There is difference between thinking about what you are doing and knowing what you are doing (without thinking). To bring this back to Tiger, think of how much better he would be if none of those noises bothered him? Now think of what could have been accomplished if he did not change his swing 3 times, because ultimately that probably put more thoughts in his head.

The surgeon reference was to compare me cleaning a bird to doing surgery. That's as close as you are playing golf to Tiger. To bring it back to Tiger as you put it. How much better than the Greatest of All Time can he be?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ambient sounds from nature can not be controlled. Sounds from a crowd can be. There are other sports which have required spectators to be silent, one is bowling. People have been pointed out and/or asked to leave bowling tournaments for making noises/moving/taking pictures during a bowler's approach/release. I bowled and was able to ignore a majority of outside noises and distractions. However, I was not bowling for any major stakes or under real pressure. I would like to point out that listening to music and/or having sounds that are constant and expected is completely different from unexpected and/or loud noises during critical phases of a swing.

I know we can never compare my muni playing golf outing with a drunken 4some to Anything Tiger does.

But you are going to try and compare Bowling to a sport?

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

I know we can never compare my muni playing golf outing with a drunken 4some to Anything Tiger does.

Really, you want to call out bowling as not a sport. Interesting.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

The surgeon reference was to compare me cleaning a bird to doing surgery. That's as close as you are playing golf to Tiger. To bring it back to Tiger as you put it. How much better than the Greatest of All Time can he be?

as I have said prevously in many, many places.

When Tiger was "on" there was no one better. There was no one better to watch. But those days are few and far between these days.

I dont know if it was injury or because of all the swing tinkering or a combo of both?

But atleast Nicholas & Palmer will do interviews.

I can never fathom Tiger sitting down for an hour with Ferathy!

In my Grom:

Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

as I have said prevously in many, many places. When Tiger was "on" there was no one better. There was no one better to watch. But those days are few and far between these days.   I dont know if it was injury or because of all the swing tinkering or a combo of both? But atleast Nicholas & Palmer will do interviews. I can never fathom Tiger sitting down for an hour with Ferathy!

Why is that important? His job is to win golf tournaments and in the next few years he will have won the most ever. So should he do more interviews and concentrate less on his game? Jack and Arnold aren't playing on tour they are retired.

Why is that important? His job is to win golf tournaments and in the next few years he will have won the most ever. So should he do more interviews and concentrate less on his game? Jack and Arnold aren't playing on tour they are retired.

Dont hold your breath on his winning the most evah, just yet! The field is gotten alot better and Tiger's game has not been top shelf as of late.

It is my opinion, and my opinion only, if Tiger was more personable and less sheltered, when all his skeleton's came flying out of the closet he would not had to address it nearly as much and it would have been addressed and left.

If he was more open and dare I say nicer, he would not get articles like the one Jenkins wrote.

Look Lefty has never been treated the way Tiger has, I am sure it has somewhat to do that Lefty is not on the same level, but he is also not as sheltered or stiff!

But no one is writing "fake" interviews about lefty, why because no thinks of him that way

In my Grom:

Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Dont hold your breath on his winning the most evah, just yet! The field is gotten alot better and Tiger's game has not been top shelf as of late. It is my opinion, and my opinion only, if Tiger was more personable and less sheltered, when all his skeleton's came flying out of the closet he would not had to address it nearly as much and it would have been addressed and left. If he was more open and dare I say nicer, he would not get articles like the one Jenkins wrote. Look Lefty has never been treated the way Tiger has, I am sure it has somewhat to do that Lefty is not on the same level, but he is also not as sheltered or stiff! But no one is writing "fake" interviews about lefty, why because no thinks of him that way

I'll put any reasonable amount of money you want down that Tiger gets to 83.

• Administrator
But atleast Nicholas & Palmer will do interviews.

Tough to take you seriously with that kind of stuff… just saying.

Tiger has conducted thousands of interviews. I've seen probably a hundred of them. He makes himself available far more often than many, including Phil Mickelson.

Media demand is perhaps 20x or 50x what it was back then. You're making flat out false statements.

The off-topic stuff (distractions, bowling, etc.) are just that: off topic. No more please. Start another thread if you wanna discuss whether bowling (or golf) is a sport.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

To follow your lead off topic. I could play with fog horns blowing in the background.

Considering that you are trying to maintain your 18 and Tiger is trying to beat the best golfers in the world I can see that this is pretty much a perfect analogy.

This is just a pure :offtopic: deflection.

• Upvote 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Jenkins takes shots at the most vulnerable player on tour with jokes that feel older than Rory, and ends up with nothing but a flaccid piece of computer paper journalism that elicits groans from readers and a letter from Tiger's agency asking "what the heck are you smoking, dude?"

There are too many exciting, positive things happening in golf for a writer as talented as Dan Jenkins to push out this faux-interview.  It feels like he is trying for humor, but it reads like limp cyber-bullying.  Does Jenkins have a charity that does more good than the Tiger Woods Foundation?  Is there some detail I'm missing?  What on earth was Jenkins' motivation?

Why would this be published, print or online, by Golf Digest?  Looks like it's time to cancel the subscription.  What a groan-fest.

I hope that Jenkins find something nice to say about a golfer under 40.  Or at least crank out another Baja Oklahoma before leaving the industry.  Until then I'm taking my signed copy off of display. (I'm sure this just breaks Jenkins' old heart :-P )

And they wonder why young people are tuning into reality TV instead of the golf channel.  Turn Jenkins' writing up a couple degrees, throw in some expletives, and he comes off as a drunk Snooki berating a stranger at a bar.

Jenkins takes shots at the most vulnerable player on tour with jokes that feel older than Rory, and ends up with nothing but a flaccid piece of computer paper journalism that elicits groans from readers and a letter from Tiger's agency asking "what the heck are you smoking, dude?"

There are too many exciting, positive things happening in golf for a writer as talented as Dan Jenkins to push out this faux-interview.  It feels like he is trying for humor, but it reads like limp cyber-bullying.  Does Jenkins have a charity that does more good than the Tiger Woods Foundation?  Is there some detail I'm missing?  What on earth was Jenkins' motivation?

Why would this be published, print or online, by Golf Digest?  Looks like it's time to cancel the subscription.  What a groan-fest.

I hope that Jenkins find something nice to say about a golfer under 40.  Or at least crank out another Baja Oklahoma before leaving the industry.  Until then I'm taking my signed copy off of display. (I'm sure this just breaks Jenkins' old heart )

And they wonder why young people are tuning into reality TV instead of the golf channel.  Turn Jenkins' writing up a couple degrees, throw in some expletives, and he comes off as a drunk Snooki berating a stranger at a bar.

Excellent point.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I don't mind people making fun of Tiger but that fake interview was a real head-scratcher for me. It wasn't funny and it wasn't even well conceived enough to be mean.  It really read like something he dashed off in 10 minutes and no way should it have made it into the magazine.

Personally, I enjoy mockery as humor and if this idea were well thought out maybe it could've been funny.  But then again, the golf world doesn't have a great grasp of humor.  I've seen lots of attempts to be funny that were just stupid (Ben Crane Slow Play, The Golf Boys, etc) . .and very few that were actually funny.  Maybe the golf people should just stick to golf.

I found that interview stupid, not funny and badly written. Nothing to do with TW or any other golfer. It is a lack of imagination. Sometimes, I feel journalisme thinks they are the Kingpins, the know it all. They drifted away by wanting to become superstars by themselves.

I found that interview stupid, not funny and badly written. Nothing to do with TW or any other golfer. It is a lack of imagination. Sometimes, I feel journalisme thinks they are the Kingpins, the know it all. They drifted away by wanting to become superstars by themselves.

The other thing that was just weird about the article is how it was just gratuitous.  It isn't like Tiger was in the news or doing anything.  It was just out of the blue.

Rich - in name only

The other thing that was just weird about the article is how it was just gratuitous.  It isn't like Tiger was in the news or doing anything.  It was just out of the blue.

Maybe the timing has to do with 2 things.   Tiger is coming back in December, and it's the 5th anniversary of the fire hydrant.

—Adam

Maybe the timing has to do with 2 things.   Tiger is coming back in December, and it's the 5th anniversary of the fire hydrant.

Maybe, but those seem more like pretexts than anything else to me.

Rich - in name only

I'd guess it was the anniversary of the fire hydrant event that motivated the idea but I don't know how the Golf Digest editorial staff approved it.  It was vindictive, unfunny and written so poorly that I doubt it would be worthy of a blog post no less showing up in print in one of the "self proclaimed" top golf magazines in the industry.  I wonder what their sponsors thought of it as it not only hurts Tiger but the entire industry that still depends on Tigers popularity.

Joe Paradiso

I'd guess it was the anniversary of the fire hydrant event that motivated the idea but I don't know how the Golf Digest editorial staff approved it.  It was vindictive, unfunny and written so poorly that I doubt it would be worthy of a blog post no less showing up in print in one of the "self proclaimed" top golf magazines in the industry.  I wonder what their sponsors thought of it as it not only hurts Tiger but the entire industry that still depends on Tigers popularity.

Judging by comments by many in the sports writing business, over this and other incidents with Tiger, I think there is a lot of resentment towards him over the way he answers questions and generally is not as open with other people like other players.  Jenkins has written about this before, and I think it bothers him that Tiger won't sit down for an interview.    The events of 2009 was, I think, a case where that resentment built up and people decided to unload on him because of his stand-offish-ness (or perceived being standoff-ish depending on the situation).

Contrast with David Letterman, who did something worse (IMO) where he pressured women into having sex with him.   He got off easy because he opened up and confronted it, then did a mea culpa.  There is not a single thing I can remember where Tiger pressured a woman into bed with him, from all the stories.   Yet he got slaughtered in the press.   Is that right?   Not entirely, but the carefully managed package that he was got in the way of how sports writers and sports casters were used to dealing with people.   So I think it caused a lot of friction.

My only real gripe with Tiger is that he was such a liar about who he was so that he could shill for companies.   He kind of became a watered down DieHard 4, where they removed anything objectionable to get a PG-13 rating and more ticket sales.   There's plenty of golfers who have a lavish life-style and he can do what he wants in his private life.   I think he would have done better being who he was and taking what endorsements came because of that.   I don't see why he can't be sponsored by Nike, AT&T; and others with a blonde on each arm and gambling in Vegas.   I think people who bemoan the "integrity of players/celebrities" like they have to live by the same moral code have not much of a leg to stand on.    They are more than free to live their own lives, and if you have a problem with it then you are free to not buy what they promote.

One final thing, I think the piece in GD was watered down.  If you are going to write something like that, then do it right.   There's no way they could go for the jugular in that publication so it does come across as not funny and watered down.   Only somewhere like SNL can they really take aim.   I think it's stale right now, because golf has largely moved on from it (unlike say Clinton and woman-izing jokes while he was still in office) ; but if you are going to do it, do it right!

• Upvote 1

—Adam

Note: This thread is 3380 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!