IGNORED

Cutting the Cord…

turtleback

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

The smartphone apps imho for live streaming services are better than the apps provided by cable/satellite, especially when you're away from home.

One of the biggest reasons I've wanted to ditch Comcast is that in the last few months they stopped allowing you to set a DVR recording when you're not on your home network (some patent lawsuit or something). Most of my more important DVR recordings tend to be of the "oh shit I forgot to record that game" variety, which I used to be able to set from my phone. (My other recordings are just season passes of TV shows, which VOD works nearly as well for. Honestly the best part about the DVR for that is the organized interface.)

The Comcast iPhone app was also extremely slow, and you had to have a perfect connection just to do things like look at a list of your DVR or pull up the channel guide.  

1 hour ago, brocks said:

I'm using Youtube TV for the golf channel.  $35/mo is half the price of the 3,000 stations I would have to get from my cable company in order to get a tier with TGC included.

The picture is great, the content is great, the interface sucks donkey dongs.  They don't even have numbers for the stations, so I have to hunt for TGC among all the other stations.  Setting something to record in advance is either clumsy or impossible, depending on the show (e.g. for last week's tournament, it could only find the CBS broadcast of the third round in the shows available to record, not TGC's). And if you want to freeze the frame to look at something, a big black banner comes up to cover at least a third of the screen.  I've sent feedback on these and other problems, and they say great idea, we'll look into it, with nothing further.

Sometimes I wish I wasn't so cheap.

I've so far been extremely impressed by the picture. It seems to be higher quality and smoother than the individual apps ESPN, NBC Sports, etc. And I haven't had a single buffering issue. I use it on one device (the Xbox One I mention below) that's wired to my router, so that's no surprise, but my AppleTV is up a flight of stairs and still I don't have any issues.

The lack of station numbers bugs me too. I also wish I could move the stations around in my channel list (or maybe I can - I haven't dug around too too much). I agree that the banner is annoying, but my cable did that too, so I'm used to it. I think mine are also translucent, not opaque.

2 hours ago, Archie Bunker said:

It doesn't block all shows on CBS or NBC for example. But if you record, let's say, "America's Got Talent" and try to watch your DVR recording the next day, you cannot because the VOD version is available. Your recording will become "available" about 8 months later (!) for you to watch. On the VOD programs they tend to run the same commercials over and over until you want to tear your hair out (if you have any). No fast forwarding through commercials on VOD. I find that PlayStation Vue doesn't have this annoying shortcoming. Nice thing about streaming - you can switch often with no hassle from a cable company. FYI - PlayStation Vue works on both Roku and Amazon Fire devices (YouTube TV doesn't). The interface for PSVUE on Amazon Fire TV is much nicer than it is on Roku IMO.

I think I understand. I probably just don't place the same emphasis on skipping repetitive commercials as you do (or, at least, the next few months will let me know if I do).

I use an Xbox One for one of my TVs and an AppleTV 4K for the other. The AppleTV interface is much, much more responsive, but I think that's mostly because the Xbox One remote I have is so shitty. I'm planning on getting a universal remote for that TV (though if that uses IR too it probably won't be any better).

I still might do the trial of PS Vue and some of the others, but YouTube TV has the best channel lineup for me.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When watching WC on dvr on Hulu, if I start and skip 30 minutes after all the pregame stuff, it doesn't force play the commercials. I find if you keep playing around with jumping around you might find kinks to bypass commercials although eventually they'll be plugged. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

7 hours ago, Archie Bunker said:

I had no problem recording Golf Channel or CBS PGA events when I had YouTube TV. Just add "PGA TOUR" to your recorded show library. Records all Golf Channel rounds as well as the weekend CBS broadcast.

Maybe you got lucky, or maybe it's changed, but I set it to record PGA Tour months ago, and it is hit or miss.  It records many, but not all.I suspect that it  is searching for keywords in the title and/or description, and that sometimes whoever writes them leaves them out.

Thanks very much for the tip on rearranging the program guide, though, I didn't realize that was possible.

Turned in my cable box and signed up for HBO Now. All told, I should be saving around $50 a month.

I decided to leverage that by buying a soundbar and a universal remote, since I had to turn in the Comcast one. 

I already had a Vizio 2.1 soundbar on my other TV, but I went with a 5.1 system for the main one. It's pretty slick, and the surround speakers connect to the woofer, which connects to the soundbar wirelessly. 

The remote I got is a Logitech Harmony 665, which seems to work fine. I may upgrade eventually to one of their nicer units, but this one is fine for now.

The next issue? The soundbar blocks my TV's IR receiver, so I either have to raise the TV up or mount the soundbar to the front of my TV stand. I plan on trying the latter. It's a shitty Ikea stand, so it's not a huge deal if I mess it up. 

EDIT: The other issue is that losing the cable box means I don't have a clock in my living room anymore, and I find myself constantly looking where the box used to be for the time. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

On 7/6/2018 at 7:18 PM, nevets88 said:

When watching WC on dvr on Hulu, if I start and skip 30 minutes after all the pregame stuff, it doesn't force play the commercials. I find if you keep playing around with jumping around you might find kinks to bypass commercials although eventually they'll be plugged. 

I've found that with Hulu Live as well.  Don't like having to watch commercials but I do like saving $90 a month.

My biggest issues so far with Hulu:

• Forced commercials...but, like I said, I understand.
  • When I go to watch a DVR'd show that is currently on (like a MLB game) it always starts at the beginning and I have to slowly fast forward through it.  Wish there was a "go to live" option...maybe I'm missing something.
  • Not sure if this is AppleTV or not but I've had to re-log in on multiple TV's.  Maybe once every 3 weeks.  Slightly annoying.

What I like:

• Saving money.
  • Interface on AppleTV is great and easy to stop and start programs from one place
  • Picture quality is great for the most part.  Live TV is not always perfect but I only watch live TV maybe 20% of the time...and even then it's normally great.  You will get some pixelation every so often.
  • Access to all sports I want.  Golf, World Cup, Baseball, etc.  I don't have to pay extra and it's all there.

The kids only noticed yesterday that DirecTV was gone...and I cut that well over a month ago. Goes to show how much they relied on it.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:15 PM, jamo said:

I already had a Vizio 2.1 soundbar on my other TV, but I went with a 5.1 system for the main one. It's pretty slick, and the surround speakers connect to the woofer, which connects to the soundbar wirelessly. 

The first downside I've found with YouTube TV: it doesn't support 5.1. It's 2.0-only at this point. I've read that Google has said it's "coming soon," at least.

Everything else sounds great on the system, though. Movies and video games were really cool.

The next issue? The soundbar blocks my TV's IR receiver, so I either have to raise the TV up or mount the soundbar to the front of my TV stand. I plan on trying the latter. It's a shitty Ikea stand, so it's not a huge deal if I mess it up. 

Went with option b and mounted the soundbar to the front of the TV stand. All is well, though it looks kinda goofy sticking off the front of the stand.

EDIT: The other issue is that losing the cable box means I don't have a clock in my living room anymore, and I find myself constantly looking where the box used to be for the time. 

Looking at getting just a cheapo alarm clock to stick in my TV stand. I'd like to get a big digital clock to put on the wall, but I worry it'll be too obtrusive. I'd like to avoid a manual clock because you can't see them in the dark very well.

In my bag:

18 minutes ago, jamo said:

Looking at getting just a cheapo alarm clock to stick in my TV stand. I'd like to get a big digital clock to put on the wall, but I worry it'll be too obtrusive. I'd like to avoid a manual clock because you can't see them in the dark very well.

I too missed the clock in the DVR from our cable company.   I bought a small alarm clock with a big blue display.   I have it sitting on the 3 shelf TV stand.   It is great for looking at the time from a distance but when the lights are out it is very bright. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

A little off topic, but anyone put those led light strips behind their tv, is it better? I just put a floor lamp to the side with a floor switch, low tech indeed, but it's an LED bulb too.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Is there a ‘conclusion’ type list that can help the less tech savvy like me know the best options to eliminate cable? My situation:

Currently with Comcast. 

1. I only care about major sporting events with golf, NCAA football. 

2. I watch GOT/Walking Dead.

3. I have Netflix/Hulu Live/Amazon Prime.

Doesn't seem legal/fair but does Comcast offer Internet only? I need fast internet.

Don't really see why I need cable except for Golf Channel because I very often watch Thr/Fri of regular PGA Tour events.

Any advice? Thanks guys.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

@Vinsk

To watch golf good options are - Live at the PGA Tour subscription, or on Facebook or YouTube TV.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

50 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Is there a ‘conclusion’ type list that can help the less tech savvy like me know the best options to eliminate cable? My situation:

Currently with Comcast. 

1. I only care about major sporting events with golf, NCAA football. 

2. I watch GOT/Walking Dead.

3. I have Netflix/Hulu Live/Amazon Prime.

Doesn't seem legal/fair but does Comcast offer Internet only? I need fast internet.

Don't really see why I need cable except for Golf Channel because I very often watch Thr/Fri of regular PGA Tour events.

Any advice? Thanks guys.

Doesn't that cover pretty much everything? For GoT, you can subscribe by month to HBO via Hulu or Amazon Prime. I got an HBO $5/month special for half a year on Hulu. If you keep your eye out, can find good discounts.

Steve

So what’s left is NCAA football. I’m a Big 12 fan but love all football. I’m wondering the best way to get FS1, ESPN, ESPN2, along with the major networks...would I have to go to basic cable plan or can get these and cut cable completely? Sorry I’m not knowledgeable about this at all.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

7 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

So what’s left is NCAA football. I’m a Big 12 fan but love all football. I’m wondering the best way to get FS1, ESPN, ESPN2, along with the major networks...would I have to go to basic cable plan or can get these and cut cable completely? Sorry I’m not knowledgeable about this at all.

You said you have Hulu Live. I've been watching the WC, Wimbledon, with it. Wimbledon is on ESPN, WC on FS1, so guessing the other ESPN channels are part of Hulu Live. Or maybe you don't have Hulu Live?

Steve

33 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

You said you have Hulu Live. I've been watching the WC, Wimbledon, with it. Wimbledon is on ESPN, WC on FS1, so guessing the other ESPN channels are part of Hulu Live. Or maybe you don't have Hulu Live?

Yes I have Hulu live ...I’ve just noticed in the past that there would be NCAA games on and with ESPN and the major networks it would vary as to whether I got the games. But it seems as though I should be able to dump cable altogether and I’ll see how it goes regarding college football when it starts up.

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

I’m wondering the best way to get FS1, ESPN, ESPN2, along with the major networks

Forty $$ Month on YouTube TV - 

Tv You Tube.PNG

Which devices can I watch YouTube TV on?

Our goal is to let you watch YouTube TV anywhere, on any device. Here’s the list of currently supported devices, and we’re adding more soon.

Phone: Android L or later iPhone iOS 9.1 or later

Tablet: iPad iOS 9.1 or later Android L or later Note: not currently available on Pixel C devices, but this is coming soon

Computer: For the best YouTube TV viewing experience, download the latest version of Chrome.

TV: Stream with Google Chromecast or download our app on Roku, Apple TV, Android TV, Xbox One and supported Samsung and LG TVs.

6 accounts per household. Everyone gets their own login. Notifications when your show is on. Personalized DVR.

Cloud DVR with no storage limits - Never run out of storage space. Stream your library wherever you go. Record simultaneously.

Using Apps to Stream on a device is a learning curve which is simple.
Playing on a TV requires using other hardware (Chromecast, Roku, Xbox or a Smart Tv with YouTube TV App? I think?)

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Yes I have Hulu live ...I’ve just noticed in the past that there would be NCAA games on and with ESPN and the major networks it would vary as to whether I got the games. But it seems as though I should be able to dump cable altogether and I’ll see how it goes regarding college football when it starts up.

Local blocking?

Steve