IGNORED

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2936 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think people who loved the books will have a hard time with the continuation of the movies because it's not decreed by Lucas to be canon. In some ways I can understand Lucas wanting to have other writers involved in the story outside what he wanted to create. I can also see how this is going to be an unfair hurdle these new movies are not going to overcome with some people. 

In the end I would never describe it as a cover song because it's not a remake. A cover song would mean JJ took the original trilogy and redid them with his own artistic view. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Spoiler alert:

IMG_20151217_131848.jpg

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Just saw Taylormade's Facebook post this:

12365971_10153892063674665_4268529092279

Ironically, the most appropriate club to hit that BB-8 droid with would be Callaway's BB 815. 

• Upvote 2

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Absolutely wonderful film.    Really, really enjoyed it.   Definitely lived up to the hype in my opinion.   

—Adam

On December 17, 2015 at 9:48 AM, nevets88 said:

Having seen the movie, I don't agree with calling it a really great cover song. It's a lot more than that. 

15 hours ago, imsys0042 said:

Absolutely wonderful film.    Really, really enjoyed it.   Definitely lived up to the hype in my opinion.   

Totally agree. Exceeded expectations for me. I'll see it at least two or three more times in theaters. 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Just now, jbishop15 said:

Having seen the movie, I don't agree with calling it a really great cover song. It's a lot more than that. 

Totally agree. Exceeded expectations for me. I'll see it at least two or three more times in theaters. 

Good to hear. I want to see it, but my wife is lukewarm. If it more like the first trilogy, she will go. The three that followed were not as good (Jar Jar Binks, etc.)

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Just now, boogielicious said:

Good to hear. I want to see it, but my wife is lukewarm. If it more like the first trilogy, she will go. The three that followed were not as good (Jar Jar Binks, etc.)

It is very much like the first trilogy, but it has all the improvements of technology and choreography that should've improved the second trilogy. I really loved it. 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Agree with @jbishop15, it is nothing like the prequels. Spit. The tweet about it being a good cover - having seen it, agree and disagree w/the statement, but can't say why without spoilers.

As for the female demographic and it's hard to say w/o being spoilery, but yeah, it's scifi, but there are lots of reasons I can think of that girls and women, especially this time around, as opposed to males, will like this movie. There is one scene that is just ****ing epic. The whole theater went nuts. Just that scene was worth the price of admission alone.

Be very careful with spoilers. You can get super spoiled in just two words. On the other hand, a not trivial percentage of speculation was right so I anticipated some of what was going to happen well before it did. That's what happens when you read all the speculation theories. But for me, that doesn't take away from the experience.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

11 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Agree with @jbishop15, it is nothing like the prequels. Spit. The tweet about it being a good cover - having seen it, agree and disagree w/the statement, but can't say why without spoilers.

As for the female demographic and it's hard to say w/o being spoilery, but yeah, it's scifi, but there are lots of reasons I can think of that girls and women, especially this time around, as opposed to males, will like this movie. There is one scene that is just ****ing epic. The whole theater went nuts. Just that scene was worth the price of admission alone.

Be very careful with spoilers. You can get super spoiled in just two words. On the other hand, a not trivial percentage of speculation was right so I anticipated some of what was going to happen well before it did. That's what happens when you read all the speculation theories. But for me, that doesn't take away from the experience.

Spoiler for the movie in the spoiler box.

Should we start a new thread to discuss the movie for those who have already seen it? 

YO things in the spoiler box show up on the front page even if they're in the box. I deleted my spoiler for now. 

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, jbishop15 said:

Should we start a new thread to discuss the movie for those who have already seen it? 

Sure.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

13 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

5 minutes ago, jbishop15 said:

Spoiler for the movie in the spoiler box.

YO things in the spoiler box show up on the front page even if they're in the box. I deleted my spoiler for now. 

Can you guys confirm for me without spoilers that there is NOT a post-credits scene?  I think I read that somewhere awhile back.  It matters to me because we're seeing it at 9am next Thursday, it has a running time of 2:15 not counting previews, and the theater is 15-20 minutes away from daycare, which closes Christmas Eve at noon. :-P  I don't want to have to choose between Star Wars and my kids. ;)

1 minute ago, Golfingdad said:

Can you guys confirm for me without spoilers that there is NOT a post-credits scene?  I think I read that somewhere awhile back.  It matters to me because we're seeing it at 9am next Thursday, it has a running time of 2:15 not counting previews, and the theater is 15-20 minutes away from daycare, which closes Christmas Eve at noon. :-P  I don't want to have to choose between Star Wars and my kids. ;)

There is not. I googled it, and Abrams himself said there isn't. 

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

15 minutes ago, jbishop15 said:

There is not. I googled it, and Abrams himself said there isn't. 

No post credits scene, but BAD ROBOT! did not play in the beginning, it played in the post credits.

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Not only is it nothing like the prequels, it goes out of its way to be more like episodes 4-6.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

2 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I did not see/hear one when I hung around after the credits to give a lost credit card to a movie theater employee, but I wasn't there for the entire credits perhaps.

I had quite the "experience" watching this movie. I had a 1:15 AM showtime for it, but I arrived slightly late at 1:20 (in order to skip some of the previews). I instead found the projector was broken, and waited until 1:45 before the previews even started. The projector then broke down again about 10 minutes into the film (right as the scavenger exits the crashed ship seen in trailers), to cries of dismay from the audience, and it took 15 more minutes for them to fix the projector. They started it back up where it left off, and we continued watching, until it again broke right as two main characters were running towards a piece of garbage! The audience erupted with anger and I felt pretty bad for the person who had to come in and announce that we had to wait 15 minutes for another movie to end, plus time for them to clean the theater, for us to be moved to a different theater with a working projector. In the meantime they handed out vouchers for a free movie as well as a popcorn and drink, but I think a refund should have also been necessary since they moved us from a 3D movie to a 2D movie. We finally get the movie started back up, and it's well after 3:00 in the morning at this point in time. We're able to watch and finish the movie, thankfully, and everyone enjoyed it, but I ended up getting back home at 5:30 AM after going to a 1:15 showing...

3 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

I did not see/hear one when I hung around after the credits to give a lost credit card to a movie theater employee, but I wasn't there for the entire credits perhaps.

I had quite the "experience" watching this movie. I had a 1:15 AM showtime for it, but I arrived slightly late at 1:20 (in order to skip some of the previews). I instead found the projector was broken, and waited until 1:45 before the previews even started. The projector then broke down again about 10 minutes into the film (right as the scavenger exits the crashed ship seen in trailers), to cries of dismay from the audience, and it took 15 more minutes for them to fix the projector. They started it back up where it left off, and we continued watching, until it again broke right as two main characters were running towards a piece of garbage! The audience erupted with anger and I felt pretty bad for the person who had to come in and announce that we had to wait 15 minutes for another movie to end, plus time for them to clean the theater, for us to be moved to a different theater with a working projector. In the meantime they handed out vouchers for a free movie as well as a popcorn and drink, but I think a refund should have also been necessary since they moved us from a 3D movie to a 2D movie. We finally get the movie started back up, and it's well after 3:00 in the morning at this point in time. We're able to watch and finish the movie, thankfully, and everyone enjoyed it, but I ended up getting back home at 5:30 AM after going to a 1:15 showing...

That sucks. My showing was delayed by TWO ****ING HOURS because they had technical issues, but it was 7, so didn't lose sleep like you did. Theater employee apologized and said "May the force be with you."

Steve

Just now, nevets88 said:

That sucks. My showing was delayed by TWO ****ING HOURS because they had technical issues, but it was 7, so didn't lose sleep like you did.

The worst part was when the projector went out as they ran towards the piece of garbage. We could still hear everything because it took them a bit to stop the movie, but we couldn't see a thing at a very important part of the movie!

1 minute ago, Pretzel said:

The worst part was when the projector went out as they ran towards the piece of garbage. We could still hear everything because it took them a bit to stop the movie, but we couldn't see a thing at a very important part of the movie!

I sense a disturbing lack of reliability w/regards to theatre equipment.

I'm speculating they had problems with the hard drive. We never even got a picture.

Steve

2 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I sense a disturbing lack of reliability w/regards to theatre equipment.

I'm speculating they had problems with the hard drive. We never even got a picture.

Ah, I think in our case it was just the projector overheating from playing movies much later than that specific theater was normally open. It was in one of the small theaters, so a less frequently used one that probably didn't normally have movies playing back-to-back all day until that late in the night (since it seems theaters usually consolidate films to one of their larger theaters later in the evening so they only have to run one theater, versus multiple smaller ones). That and it would run fine for a while until the picture just died.

Either way it is frustrating and I'll be calling them up for a refund this morning, especially since they skimped on the replacement voucher. The 3D movie ticket I bought (which I actually got just because it was the only decent seats left) cost me twice as much as a regular movie and they gave me a voucher of only half the value of the ticket I purchased.

Note: This thread is 2936 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!