Sign in to follow this  
mvmac

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens Thread

Note: This thread is 1503 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

229 posts / 13493 viewsLast Reply

Hopefully this will be a redemption rather than a continuing spiral of disappointment. Lucas really shit the bed with Star Wars 2.0 and the modified originals. Would it have killed the pompous prick to allow us old school guys to keep watching the unadulterated originals?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hopefully this will be a redemption rather than a continuing spiral of disappointment. Lucas really shit the bed with Star Wars 2.0 and the modified originals. Would it have killed the pompous prick to allow us old school guys to keep watching the unadulterated originals?

I think JJ Abrams will do a great job. He grew up as a fanboy of the original Star Wars and knows how to make good movies. I'm sure he was just as disappointed as the rest of us with Episodes 1-3.

• Mee-sa thinks I, II and III sucked too EJ.
  • The CG looks pretty good, usually the CG in the trailer isn't as polished and looks much better in the release.
  • The beams coming out of the hilt of the sword, ok, that looks cool, but doesn't look practical. But it looks cool.
  • The X-wing fighters skimming the water, the Millennium Falcon! Abrams knows how to do spaceship scenes. See Enterprise falling to the Earth.
  • Not too much lens flare and shaky cam for Abrams :-)
  • I feel like a kid again, watching this trailer.
  • Abrams, don't **** this up. Peace, yo.

The beams coming out of the hilt of the sword, ok, that looks cool, but doesn't look practical. But it looks cool.

It's not impractical either. Just badass.

And I can think of several times when it would come in handy. Just like the hilt on a regular sword, except this can cut too instead of just protecting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

The beams coming out of the hilt of the sword, ok, that looks cool, but doesn't look practical. But it looks cool.

It's not impractical either. Just badass.

And I can think of several times when it would come in handy. Just like the hilt on a regular sword, except this can cut too instead of just protecting.

Ah, I see. I know nothing about sword play. I just guessed you could cut yourself with the hilt if it's a laser beam. A metal one would only scrape you at worst?

Ah, I see. I know nothing about sword play. I just guessed you could cut yourself with the hilt if it's a laser beam. A metal one would only scrape you at worst?

I guess you could if you got it really close to yourself, but since your hand goes below it, that would be weird.

Thought I'd open up a thread for such an anticipated movie, to be released Dec 18th, 2015. The first teaser trailer was released today: [VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erLk59H86ww[/VIDEO] Looks cool to me. That shot of the X-Wings moving across the water was particularly impressive. (I thought this warranted a spot in the Geek Zone because, well, what's more geeky than Star Wars?) EDIT: This looks weird now that I moved some posts over, but oh well.

I hope the story line is good.

Episodes I-III were HUGE disappointment for me.  They all sucked!

Looking forward to December 2015!

The X wings zooming across the water was awesome!  I got goosebumps watching the whole thing.  Can't wait till next winter.

The X wings zooming across the water was awesome!  I got goosebumps watching the whole thing.  Can't wait till next winter.

@jamo 's new avatar is giving me goosebumps!

It's not impractical either. Just badass. And I can think of several times when it would come in handy. Just like the hilt on a regular sword, except this can cut too instead of just protecting.

[quote name="nevets88" url="/t/78375/star-wars-episode-vii-the-force-awakens-thread/0_10#post_1080056"] Ah, I see. I know nothing about sword play. I just guessed you could cut yourself with the hilt if it's a laser beam. A metal one would only scrape you at worst?  [/quote] [quote name="iacas" url="/t/78375/star-wars-episode-vii-the-force-awakens-thread/0_10#post_1080059"] I guess you could if you got it really close to yourself, but since your hand goes below it, that would be weird. [/quote] Interesting in looks, how it will play out with the fight scenes will make it either a success or failure. I personally think there is no reason to mess with such a successful parto d the movie already.. Screw around with other stuff, but the lightsaber? Should have left it alone, just improve other things! [URL]http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/11/28/lightsaber-critics-say-the-one-in-the-star-wars-teaser-could-never-work-theyre-wrong/[/URL] Just a quick search and already I see there will be a debate for a year about it!

All I'm hoping for is that it doesn't suck. The prequels were visually stunning, but they may have had some of the worst dialogue and plotting I've seen. I love Star Wars, and have since I was a kid, but even with ROTJ you could tell the wheels were going to fall off.

I'm looking forward to it, and after seeing what J.J. did with the Star Trek franchise (especially 11, although 12 wasn't bad, especially for a remake), I'm optimistic. The prequels are far better if you think of 2&3 as an extended flashback between episodes 5&6 (giving an explanation of the big reveal) and think of episode 1 as something that doesn't exist and never has existed.

Well, Lucas was unbelievably bad at dialog. He just could not do a love story or really have anyone talking at any length to anyone else. But he was very smart at character creation and also not overdoing violent scenes.

I worry that JJ Abrams will overdo the fight scenes. Still he can't do any worse than Lucas at dialog.

Note: This thread is 1503 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!