IGNORED

New Computer Time, Suggestion?

saevel25
Note: This thread is 3117 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So you weren't comparing like things! I doubt your computer had an SSD drive too (maybe the new one does).

That's been my point.

If a retina display is $1,500, I definitely don't want it. :-P

My original statement was " Buying a Mac that can keep up with my current laptop would cost me $2500." And that's true. Extra bells and whistles are irrelevant as far as that goes...I couldn't have gotten the same performance I get on my laptop from a new Mac for under $2k. If you disagree, send me a link to a $1,000 Mac with the speed/storage/memory requirements I need and I'll probably buy it. :beer:

And Nevets, here's a refurbished Mac with the same processor and (I believe) same graphics card as my current laptop for $2k...refurbished. I could double the Ram on my laptop and put in an SSD for

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FE294LL/A/refurbished-154-inch-macbook-pro-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

FWIW, to prove I'm not a Mac hater...if I had the funds for a standalone recording/producing laptop right now, it would probably be this:

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-MGXA2LL-15-4-Inch-Display/dp/B00G2KNGT4/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie;=UTF8&qid;=1417631958&sr;=1-1&keywords;=Macbook+pro

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
If a retina display is $1,500, I definitely don't want it.

It's for more than just that… :P

My original statement was "Buying a Mac that can keep up with my current laptop would cost me $2500." And that's true. Extra bells and whistles are irrelevant as far as that goes...I couldn't have gotten the same performance I get on my laptop from a new Mac for under $2k.

Your computer probably doesn't have an SSD in it either. And it can't power an internal and external display at the same resolutions as the MacBook you priced out. So, in a lot of ways, it can't "keep up." It can only keep up in certain ways that were important to you…

You can buy an entry-level car from one auto-maker and a fully loaded one from another, and they'll both get you from A to B. :-)

P.S. Plus, a PC won't run Analyzr. ;-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

So you weren't comparing like things! I doubt your computer had an SSD drive too (maybe the new one does).

That's been my point.

If a retina display is $1,500, I definitely don't want it.

My original statement was "Buying a Mac that can keep up with my current laptop would cost me $2500." And that's true. Extra bells and whistles are irrelevant as far as that goes...I couldn't have gotten the same performance I get on my laptop from a new Mac for under $2k. If you disagree, send me a link to a $1,000 Mac with the speed/storage/memory requirements I need and I'll probably buy it.

And Nevets, here's a refurbished Mac with the same processor and (I believe) same graphics card as my current laptop for $2k...refurbished. I could double the Ram on my laptop and put in an SSD for <$300.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FE294LL/A/refurbished-154-inch-macbook-pro-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

FWIW, to prove I'm not a Mac hater...if I had the funds for a standalone recording/producing laptop right now, it would probably be this:

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-MGXA2LL-15-4-Inch-Display/dp/B00G2KNGT4/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie;=UTF8&qid;=1417631958&sr;=1-1&keywords;=Macbook+pro

I've come across Apple haters and you don't sound like one. Another thing is with PC manufacturers, the markdowns can be substantial, pricing is more flexible. You said you got yours for half price I think? Apple's pricing is pretty much set in stone. Any special pricing will be 10% off maybe a tad more.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I feel the need to apologize. Thanks to Iacas, it looks like I put some bad information and advice out there. Admittedly it's been several years since I've been down and dirty inside a computer case and spent anything more than a cursory glance at specifications. Apple's market share appears to have grown greatly since the last time I paid attention to it.

Anything I suggested in this thread previously, go ahead and disregard. I've got some research to do. I'd edit my previous post to remove the bad advice but can't.

Chris

I don't play golf, I play at golf. There's a difference.

TM RBZ driver, RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3 wood, RBZ 7 wood, TM Burner 2.0 4-AW, Cleveland CG16 Black Pearl 56* sand wedge, Yes! Golf Valerie putter, Snake Eyes golf balls, TM stand bag

When I bought my macbook pro in late 2012, I was surprised that the cost was pretty much the same as other comparable models from other companies.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I give you, the HP Spectre Envy or HP Envy Spectre on the right, the Macbook Pro on the left. It's interesting the Spectre has Beats audio labelling, Beats, bought by Apple. I wish I could find the HP commercial. They were trying to do a Steve Jobs, working up silly features like the super stereo sound speakers.

Aluminum chassis, check.

Chiclet keyboard, check.

Even the ports on the left side are almost an exact match.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I give you, the HP Spectre Envy or HP Envy Spectre on the right, the Macbook Pro on the left. It's interesting the Spectre has Beats audio labelling, Beats, bought by Apple. I wish I could find the HP commercial. They were trying to do a Steve Jobs, working up silly features like the super stereo sound speakers.

Aluminum chassis, check.

Chiclet keyboard, check.

Even the ports on the left side are almost an exact match.

HP has used beats for awhile now. And the "chiclet keyboard" has been part of several types of hp laptops for years. Our elitebooks at work which are 3 or 4 years old have that type of keyboard, and aluminum chassis. Not saying that companies don't take ques from each other on successful designs and features, just that some of what you are saying isn't exactly "new" for an HP laptop.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

• Administrator
HP has used beats for awhile now. And the "chiclet keyboard" has been part of several types of hp laptops for years. Our elitebooks at work which are 3 or 4 years old have that type of keyboard, and aluminum chassis. Not saying that companies don't take ques from each other on successful designs and features, just that some of what you are saying isn't exactly "new" for an HP laptop.

Apple's been doing those things for a lot longer than 3-4 years, though, @Jeremie Boop (Dell has likely too, but I'd bet quite a lot Apple was first). It's really kind of a joke…

Apple is the design king in computers and perhaps even "technology" in general. They don't always hit home runs, but they do fairly often, and computer makers mimic them, dating all the way back to the iMac and even a bit before that.

Copying is an age-old thing and is smart at some level. Not really the topic here, though.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Apple's been doing those things for a lot longer than 3-4 years, though, @Jeremie Boop (Dell has likely too, but I'd bet quite a lot Apple was first). It's really kind of a joke…

Apple is the design king in computers and perhaps even "technology" in general. They don't always hit home runs, but they do fairly often, and computer makers mimic them, dating all the way back to the iMac and even a bit before that.

Copying is an age-old thing and is smart at some level. Not really the topic here, though.

True, I was just pointing out that those were not new things for that particular model of laptop for HP. I think of Apple more like Titleist when it comes to making design changes. They rarely make changes just for the sake of changes, and the changes are typically to improve functionality. I stick to PC for several reasons, but none of them are because I think Apple/Mac computers are bad.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

True, I was just pointing out that those were not new things for that particular model of laptop for HP. I think of Apple more like Titleist when it comes to making design changes. They rarely make changes just for the sake of changes, and the changes are typically to improve functionality. I stick to PC for several reasons, but none of them are because I think Apple/Mac computers are bad.

I think in terms of desktops, PC's have the edge in customizing and replacing part, upgrading. Not sure how much you can do in terms of upgrading on an iMac.

In terms of Laptops, with that being more what you buy is what you get. Quality-wise, I think the price is very competitive on Mac and non-Mac. At the high end you might get slightly more in terms of hardware with a more expensive non-Mac, but you would be losing out on some other things that only Mac's offer. If you like what MacBook offers and all the extra add-on's then the price is very hard to beat I think.

If you go more economical, you might not see a bigger drop off in terms of hardware in terms of direct relationship to price, but the big would be quality of screen, sound, other ad-ons.

Just how I see it in terms of economic decision making.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
I think in terms of desktops, PC's have the edge in customizing and replacing part, upgrading. Not sure how much you can do in terms of upgrading on an iMac.

You can't, really, right. But the iMac-like PCs aren't very upgradeable either.

In terms of Laptops, with that being more what you buy is what you get. Quality-wise, I think the price is very competitive on Mac and non-Mac. At the high end you might get slightly more in terms of hardware with a more expensive non-Mac, but you would be losing out on some other things that only Mac's offer. If you like what MacBook offers and all the extra add-on's then the price is very hard to beat I think.

If you go more economical, you might not see a bigger drop off in terms of hardware in terms of direct relationship to price, but the big would be quality of screen, sound, other ad-ons.

Just how I see it in terms of economic decision making.

Probably. Apple doesn't really deal with the low-end. The Mac Mini is about as close as they get (and is not a portable), and it's not even super low end.

FWIW, I have a 13" MacBook Pro with the Retina screen. Middle to upper level specs. Prior to that I had the 13" MacBook Air (which my wife now has, and my kid has the 13" MacBook previously owned by my wife… it's five years old (or so) and still runs 10.10 really well).

You can't, really, right. But the iMac-like PCs aren't very upgradeable either.

Probably. Apple doesn't really deal with the low-end. The Mac Mini is about as close as they get (and is not a portable), and it's not even super low end.

FWIW, I have a 13" MacBook Pro with the Retina screen. Middle to upper level specs. Prior to that I had the 13" MacBook Air (which my wife now has, and my kid has the 13" MacBook previously owned by my wife… it's five years old (or so) and still runs 10.10 really well).

That is true. Every since they got rid of the true tower desktop design it probably makes it a bit harder to upgrade once you buy it. Yea, my dad owns an all in one Dell computer and I doubt you could do much in terms of after market upgrades on that one.

I have a low to middle end HP laptop (at the time of sale) that decides that sometimes it wants to run really well and other times it wants to run like a 80 year old man. That laptop is about 2 years old. The battery sucks! :whistle:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

• 1 month later...
So my Desktop crapped out a few months ago, and my current laptop is ancient and sluggish. Still I found I really don't miss my desktop.

I don't see the benefit of having a desktop at home anymore. I don't do any heavy gaming or processing, so I really don't need the extra horse power. I guess the only side benefit would being able to switch out components or add more. Really if I need space, I could always build server for extra storage.

In looking at laptops, I am toying with the idea of getting an MacBook Pro. I have a friend who has used Apple for years and was really impressed with the MacBook Pro's. I've have been using Window's systems for years. Not sure about the learning curve, though I am sure it wont take me long to get use to a Mac. I am not sure of what all I can do with a Mac really.

So anybody have any suggestions on a good laptop that is a decent desktop replacement?

Try to keep the discussion civilized between Mac and Non-Mac users

So, @saevel25 , what did you go with?

The reason I ask is that my Windows 7 Sony Vaio is dying (5 years old), so I’m looking to replace it.  It’s got an i5 processor and 500 GB of storage, and it’s served me well, but I’m looking to switch over to Mac (don’t want to go to Windows 8, don’t want to wait for Windows 10). I’m looking at the MacBook Pro.

Main questions for myself (input/opinions gladly accepted):

1) Go with the the MBP with 1 TB hard drive (increased weight, but it will mainly sit on my desk, since I carry my iPad Air with me)?  Or go 512 GB SSD (and move more stuff onto external hard drive and to the cloud, which I’m already doing)?

2) Go with the MBP with retina display? Go all-in for 1 TB SSD?

3) How much memory is useful in these machines? 4, 8 or 16?  I don’t do any high power gaming or video processing (trimming my golf swing videos is about it).

Thanks.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• Administrator

3) How much memory is useful in these machines? 4, 8 or 16?  I don’t do any high power gaming or video processing (trimming my golf swing videos is about it).

Don't get 4. If you can, get the 16.

Got to go with the Mac as well ... was a windows guy since it first came out years ago ... just bought a mac book pro and like others have said ... what took me so long to get here ... (other than I work work in IT and manage a windows server team ... thank god for virtual desktops)

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

So, @saevel25 , what did you go with?

The reason I ask is that my Windows 7 Sony Vaio is dying (5 years old), so I’m looking to replace it.  It’s got an i5 processor and 500 GB of storage, and it’s served me well, but I’m looking to switch over to Mac (don’t want to go to Windows 8, don’t want to wait for Windows 10). I’m looking at the MacBook Pro.

Main questions for myself (input/opinions gladly accepted):

1) Go with the the MBP with 1 TB hard drive (increased weight, but it will mainly sit on my desk, since I carry my iPad Air with me)?  Or go 512 GB SSD (and move more stuff onto external hard drive and to the cloud, which I’m already doing)?

2) Go with the MBP with retina display? Go all-in for 1 TB SSD?

Thanks.

Supposedly, new MacBook Pro is expected to come out later (summer/fall) of this year.

If you can't wait, I would say go with MBP 512 GB SSD should be plenty, if you don't store too much on your HD.

As for the amount of memory, like @iacas with 4. At minimum you want 8.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

• 8 months later...

So time to bring this thread back to life. I plan on buying a new computer in the next month or two. I pretty much have my eyes set on the MacBook Pro. I've been looking at the options.

Those who use MacBooks in the past. Is it better to go with the 13" or 15". Also do you recommend getting one with the dedicated video card? 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I have a MacBook Air 11 inch, and the MacBook Pro 15 ... I love the 11 inch for work (going to meetings etc) and travel ... but at home, the 15 inch just pops. I do a little work with Unreal engine and some photos ... just can't beat the 15 Retina display ... but that is just my view of the world ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Note: This thread is 3117 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!