IGNORED

2014 Franklin Templeton Shootout Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The Franklin Templeton Shootout will be played at Tiburon GC in Naples, Fla. A dozen two-man teams will compete in the three-day event that includes a Scramble, Modified Alternate Shot round and a Better Ball finale.

This year, Golf Channel will televise Thursday and Friday and FOX will broadcast Saturday’s final round which will be live from 1-5 p.m. ET.

Here's a look at the Expert Picks

Expert Projected winner Comment
D.J. PIEHOWSKI
Digital Producer
Harris English & Matt Kuchar I'll take the defending champions, both of which play a steady, never-in-trouble game (and have laid-back attitudes) that should fit any format.
SEAN MARTIN
Events Editor
Graeme McDowell &
Gary Woodland
I think this team complements each other well, with the long-hitting Woodland teaming with McDowell, who is one of the TOUR's most accurate drivers (T12 in driving accuracy in 2013-14) and best putters (first in strokes gained-putting). The final two rounds are alternate shot and better ball, two formats McDowell is well familiar with from his Ryder Cup experiences.
JOHN SWANTEK
Host, LIVE@
Ryan Palmer & Jimmy Walker The Texans represent the only true rookie team in the field, just as Keegan Bradley and Brendan Steele were when they won the title in 2011.
BRIAN WACKER
PGATOUR.COM Writer
Billy Horschel & Ian Pouter Their games make for a perfect ham-and-egg combination in this team event. Each has been a regular in the tournament and their personalities should mesh well.
AMANDA BALIONIS
Host, Trending on TOUR
Brandt Snedeker & Patrick Reed Coming off a T3 finish at the Hero World Challenge, Reed will take advantage of his last minute spot in the field. If both Sneds and Reed can get their putters going, no one will top them.
HELEN ROSS
PGATOUR.COM Writer
Jason Day & Cameron Tringale Jason Day returned to action last week at the Hero World Challenge, closed with a 66 and finished fifth. Look for the young Aussie to build on that performance as he teams with Cameron Tringale in Naples.
MIKE McALLISTER
PGATOUR.COM Managing Editor
Billy Horschel & Ian Poulter This is a fascinating pairing to me. Both guys are fiery and play with an attitude. If they channel it correctly, I can see them running away with the title.
And some Patrick Reed news.

Patrick Reed withdrew from Wednesday's Franklin Templeton Shootout pro-am after his wife, Justine, was hospitalized after suffering a seizure at The Ritz-Carlton Golf Resort.

Reed has not withdrawn from the three-day event, which starts tomorrow.

"I withdrew from today's pro-am to be with my wife, Justine, who suffered a grand mal seizure (Tuesday) afternoon while in the bathtub," Reed said in a statement. "We are really fortunate that she is OK and lucky that I was in the room with her to save her from drowning. I am so grateful to the paramedic team, IMG and the doctors at Naples Community Hospital for their support and care during an extremely difficult time."

Reed was a recent addition to the event after Chris Kirk withdrew last week.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Watching the Franklin Templeton Shootout on Fox right now....just not the same. They're using the same music and graphics that the NFL uses.

Bottom line is the USGA went for the $$$. I think NBC/ESPN would promote the tournament better and give it better coverage. They've always marketed it really well. I've always said any sport needs ESPN, whether you like it or not. Fox is thinking this Fox Sports 1 is going to be the new ESPN, and they used that as a selling point to the USGA, but it's been an absolute bust since it has taken off and I wonder if the USGA is having regrets about it. But it's too late now. I am just fearful of a network taking over a major golf event that only does one PGA event a year.

• Administrator

Bottom line is the USGA went for the $$$. I think NBC/ESPN would promote the tournament better and give it better coverage. They've always marketed it really well. I've always said any sport needs ESPN, whether you like it or not. Fox is thinking this Fox Sports 1 is going to be the new ESPN, and they used that as a selling point to the USGA, but it's been an absolute bust since it has taken off and I wonder if the USGA is having regrets about it. But it's too late now. I am just fearful of a network taking over a major golf event that only does one PGA event a year.

Some thoughts on that…

1) Hockey doesn't seem to need ESPN. Golf is barely covered there either.

2) Of course it's about money. Money lets the USGA do stuff. The U.S. Open isn't bringing in a bunch of new golfers very much, but the money they make from it can help them do that.

3) It's a trial run. Their first shot at golf.

4) I haven't watched a second of it. :)

5) ESPN -> ABC, so the NBC/ESPN marriage was a bit awkward.

Your fears are not unfounded, though.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

So far I've seen a couple unique things I like (different camera angles) and a couple unique things I don't (the putting bullseye thing) but overall it's perfectly normal. Nothing too outstanding (literal meaning) about the announcers either ... The U.S. open will do perfectly fine.

Some thoughts on that…

1) Hockey doesn't seem to need ESPN. Golf is barely covered there either.

2) Of course it's about money. Money lets the USGA do stuff. The U.S. Open isn't bringing in a bunch of new golfers very much, but the money they make from it can help them do that.

3) It's a trial run. Their first shot at golf.

4) I haven't watched a second of it. :)

5) ESPN -> ABC, so the NBC/ESPN marriage was a bit awkward.

Your fears are not unfounded, though.

The NHL struggled a lot without ESPN for a while. It's still not as popular as it was back 10-15 years, but I admit, it's recovered some. But still not as popular a game as it once was. I may end up being wrong on this, but I think it was a mistake to leave ESPN and NBC. We'll see what happens come June, but I just don't like the change. I'l flat out say it....l miss Dan Hicks and Johnny Miller calling the US Open. I thought they were excellent at what they did. I'm skeptical about a network that covers one PGA event a year. I have my doubts, but I'll give them a chance.

The NHL struggled a lot without ESPN for awhile. It's still not as popular as it was back 10-15 years, but I admit, it's recovered some. But still not as popular a game as it once was. I may end up being wrong on this, but I think it was a mistake to leave ESPN and NBC. We'll see what happens come June, but I just don't like the change. I'l flat out say it....l miss Dan Hicks and Johnny Miller calling the US Open. I thought they were excellent at what they did. I'm skeptical about a network that covers one PGA event a year. I have my doubts, but I'll give them a chance.

espn isn't related to NBC. Espn is with abc, and all abc does is the British open, and I imagine they still will. Btw, it's literally impossible for you to "miss dan hicks and Johnny miller calling the U.S. open" because there has not been one without them yet. And they're not doing one event, they're doing all of the usga tournaments. Lastly, just watch tomorrow and you'll at least get some idea as to what to expect in June. They weren't bad at all today, and they'll have time to work out kinks too.

Personally, I don't think any major network is going to broadcast golf the way I have it in my mind's eye. The difference between any of the broadcast networks is pretty minor, to me. Every Miller/Norman/Faldo all have a big ego and the color guys talk too much and there are too many commercials and puff pieces, no matter what the channel. The best telecast is the Masters by far, because it shows the most golf.

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2014/12/joe-buck-on-fox-sports-golf-de.html

Quote:

“I realize one thing,” Buck said. “People at home don’t care who’s covering it. They just want to sit on their couch and watch golf. There’s only one real way for us at Fox to start this venture and that is humbly.

“When you get into this situation you realize how hard it is to cover golf and make it look seamless. I want to tip my cap…to the fine folks at CBS and the work of Frank Chirkinian in changing and revolutionizing the way golf is covered on television. And that’s up to present day, whether it’s NBC and Golf Channel, or ABC and ESPN or TNT.

“David, you’re well aware of this,” Buck said, “Kim Kardashian tried to crash Twitter, and evidently Twitter almost crashed when I introduced you as the executive director of the USGA. I thought it was assumed that you were the former executive director of the USGA.”

The quality of the competition carries the telecast, not the voices describing it, even Buck's.

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2014/12/13/review-the-fox-sports-golf-debut.html

Quote:
But as expected, Fox has a long way to go before they can declare themselves at the level of the other networks. As Saturday's telecast reminded us, competence in golf broadcasting is underrated and freshness overrated when you're too often making the telecast about your network instead of the tournament at hand. Granted, I understand this was their historic first go and that was to be noted, but it's a Fox tendency to let you know they are the cooler network and in golf, there is no interest in cool. We just want to see golf and be enterained.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

espn isn't related to NBC. Espn is with abc, and all abc does is the British open, and I imagine they still will.

Btw, it's literally impossible for you to "miss dan hicks and Johnny miller calling the U.S. open" because there has not been one without them yet.

And they're not doing one event, they're doing all of the usga tournaments.

Lastly, just watch tomorrow and you'll at least get some idea as to what to expect in June. They weren't bad at all today, and they'll have time to work out kinks too.

ESPN is tied to NBC with the US Open. The NBC crew does the telecasting mixed with ESPN guys and ESPN does Live From shows. I don't think ESPN's coverage of the British is all that great, either. But some of the personalities on there at least have a lot of experience, like Tirico, Judy Rankin a few others. Fox has a lot of first-timers.

I remember the days of ABC doing the US Open and NBC's is a lot better, IMO. True, Miller and Hicks will do other telecasts but the Open obviously stands out as a big stage compared to the others. A big event like that you always want the best of the best.

We'll see. I love Fox when it comes to baseball and football, but golf is a whole different animal. When I heard the Fox football music yesterday for a golf telecast, I cringed. I think the announcers will be fine with time. Might be rocky the first year or so but I'm sure it will get better.

More drama on the broadcast.

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2014/12/ian-poulter-billy-horschel-angry-fox-sports-cameraman.html

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2014/12/ian-poulter-billy-horschel-angry-fox-sports-cameraman.html

Why can't I find video of this?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I watched that exchange, and "angry" is a bit of a stretch.  The camera tower happened to be in the line of their shots, and they asked the guy if he could just lower the camera, he said he was being told on his walkie-talkie not to and to just "walk away" and Horschel was like "whoa, wait, don't walk away" and they talked him into taking it apart (took about 45 seconds) so they could hit their shots (about 9000 feet higher than the camera).

The best part was after it was apart and Poulter was getting ready to hit, Greg Norman said something like "Well, there you go Ian, you better hit a good shot after all of that, Sunshine ."  It was pretty funny.

But, honestly, I saw the whole thing as a bit amusing, and really not at all contentious or "angry."  YMMV

EDIT:  When I wrote this post, I wasn't able to get the link to work, so I didn't realize that I was just repeating the article. :doh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

I watched that exchange, and "angry" is a bit of a stretch.  The camera tower happened to be in the line of their shots, and they asked the guy if he could just lower the camera, he said he was being told on his walkie-talkie not to and to just "walk away" and Horschel was like "whoa, wait, don't walk away" and they talked him into taking it apart (took about 45 seconds) so they could hit their shots (about 9000 feet higher than the camera).

The best part was after it was apart and Poulter was getting ready to hit, Greg Norman said something like "Well, there you go Ian, you better hit a good shot after all of that, Sunshine."  It was pretty funny.

But, honestly, I saw the whole thing as a bit amusing, and really not at all contentious or "angry."  YMMV

It's Fox.  Everything has to be blow out of proportion! :pound:

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2014/12/13/review-the-fox-sports-golf-debut.html

Fox kicked off their foray into golf with a four-hourFranklin Templeton Shootout telecast featuring a few moments of fresh twists on golf broadcasting and one compelling exchange thanks to cameraman bullying fromBilly Horschel and Ian Poulter toward (I wrote about for this for The Loop). Mostly though, the telecast glitches reinforced the well-oiled nature of the incumbent golf networks, with way too many jarring cuts, announcer over-talking (especially when audio engineers picked up conversations) and a rough start for lead man Joe Buck.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

Yeah, certainly there were a lot of kinks, but there was also some promise.  Specifically:

Quote:
As promised, Loomis delivered several compelling shots with a gently rising shot that took you from behind ground level to 40-or-so feet above the golfer, allowing the viewer to take in the hole. Drone shots were also adeptly employed, captured by folks who wisely started low, then raised the elevation without rushing down the fairway.

The shot from behind the player that backed up a tad and then elevated was really cool.  Precisely the kind of "perspective" that I think a lot of golf telecasts lack.

I've said this before, but I would also love for them to incorporate the graphic that Euro Tour telecasts frequently show, which is the rendering of a hole from behind the tee with a couple of balls tracing out to the fairway and landing, and then names placed next to each, showing you precisely "Where In The World Is Carmen San Diego Rory McIlroy"

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

The media made it to be more antagonistic than it really was.

https://cloud.real.com/s/LzkvRU

https://cloud.real.com/s/Mz52kU

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

The media made it to be more antagonistic than it really was.

https://cloud.real.com/s/LzkvRU

https://cloud.real.com/s/Mz52kU

Thanks!

I know I'm in the minority here, but I think Poulter is pretty funny, he's a massive prick but he's funny.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

[QUOTE name="nevets88" url="/t/78589/2014-franklin-templeton-shootout-discussion-thread#post_1085599"] The media made it to be more antagonistic than it really was. [URL=https://cloud.real.com/s/LzkvRU]https://cloud.real.com/s/LzkvRU[/URL] [URL=https://cloud.real.com/s/Mz52kU]https://cloud.real.com/s/Mz52kU[/URL] [/QUOTE] Thanks! I know I'm in the minority here, but I think Poulter is pretty funny, he's a massive prick but he's funny.

From now on, I'm thinking Jumpin' Jack Flash when I see him. :-)

Steve

Note: This thread is 3412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!