IGNORED

is the cost of golf becoming prohibitive?

RussUK
Note: This thread is 3397 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

$25 to walk 18, thats roughly $7/hr to be entertained.  You pay that much to sit in the dark and watch a movie

I paid $1.25 per hole, or $0.28 a stroke to play 18 holes today...........walking in a 45*F drizzle. Pretty sure I got my monies worth. :dance:

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would say that for an absolute beginner it's not that cost prohibitive provided they don't mind not playing the latest and greatest as well as walking. A nine hole course near me charges $15 for nine holes, which is easier for a beginner than a full 18, and you can find a used set of off-brand irons plus a putter (maybe with woods, depending on how they're being sold) for under $50 at garage sales or on craigslist.

While it's not as cheap as something like tennis where the venue doesn't cost you each time to play (if you go to a park at least), I would put it as being comparable in price to bowling. You can buy the $250 bowling ball if you want, and pay to have it waxed frequently, as well as buying the expensive bowling shoes, but it's not something you have to do to just have fun playing on the weekends or in the afternoons. Bowling might actually be more expensive in the long run since you can rack up a larger bill from playing multiple games of bowling in the time it would take to play one nine-hole round of golf.

If you buy the cork-sniffer custom clubs and always ride and play the nicest courses and want a complete wardrobe of the latest slim-fit clothing activewear then yes, golf can get a little pricey, but otherwise any person who wants to play the game on a budget can certainly do so and not have any less fun then the cork-sniffer.

There are tons of used clubs that are barely used, it's the only way for those on a budget, no matter what level they are at, I'm on my third set, all used.

Don't even have to buy used to find something affordable. I just bought a set of new Tour Edge Exotics CU irons 4-PW with good shafts for $169.

Dave :-)

Seems like there are lots of examples of how to play golf at a very reasonable rate.

One doesn't have buy new clubs every year or play at $$$$ courses.

So why does this issue keep on coming up?

Seems like there are lots of examples of how to play golf at a very reasonable rate.

I was thinking the same thing, but if you are a newbie to the sport, you probably haven't learned how to cut corners and get decent clubs and play on decent courses without paying large sums of money.  You have to admit, we all have ways to save a few bucks, but it took us some time and mistakes to figure it out, so for a new person I can see them thinking golf is expensive.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Not sure but everyone I know that is getting out of golf states the same reason, it takes too long.

They don't love the game then IMO, because for me, and everyone I play with, it's doesn't take long enough.

Slow play? sure, it's a problem, different issue though.

As long as I'm playing I don't want to stop, I'll walk 24 holes until it gets dark and then wake up and do it all again, 4+ hour rounds? who cares? make it 6, as long we're playing.

I don't find time to play golf, I don't try to get rounds into my day, if duty doesn't call, then golf does and everything, and I mean everything else can wait.

• Upvote 2

I spent a lot of time on par 3 course that cost no more than $5 to play with irons I paid $30 something dollars for before I moved on. Like anything better to see if you enjoy it before going all in. If noobs make mistakes it's listening to oblivious friends that suggest they need this or that just to get out there.

Dave :-)

I believe it's a stigma that dates back to times when only the wealthy could afford to play because it required private club membership and sources for less expensive equipment didn't exist.

For many it's easier to just throw cost out as an excuse than to look for ways to make it less expensive by shopping for used clubs (Global Golf) versus new and using sites like Golfnow rather than joining private clubs.  It's also about priorities, I have friends that claim they can't afford to golf but own luxury cars and take expensive vacations.  It's not that they can't afford it, it's that they prefer to spend their money on other things.

Joe Paradiso

The cost of golf in the NY Metro area has not risen, and in many cases is less expensive than 7-8 years ago.  You can be an equipment fanatic and change clubs every year or not.  So I do not think the cost has risen, but the amount of discretionary income that many people had has fallen.  For the casual golfer ( @10 rounds/seaso n) it could be the choice of going to dinner with the wife or hitting the links - if that golfer is not that serious about the game the clubs stay in the garage.  For folks on sites like this we will find some way to pay for some decent golf and get our fix.  It could still be affordable, but for some they choose to do other activities.  I am a Yankees fan but do you think I would drive into the Bronx, pay a ransom amount to park my car, and then spend a couple of hundred on mediocre seats and another $75 on a few hot dogs and soda? When I can play a few rounds of golf at excellent courses for that amount?  Well, there are a lot of people will pay for a day at the Stadium and skip the golf.

It is not the cost of golf that has changed, but instead many people that were casual golfers just have less money with the sluggish recovery we have had and have different priorities.

Clearly I am addicted to golf.

I have spent $$$$ on new golf club, joining a private club etc.

Was it all necessary for me to play golf ...... absolutely NOT.

About five years ago I hurt my shoulder and when I got back to golfing my handicap went up by 10 strokes in one year.

My solution was to purchase three new sets of irons ($3,300) and three new drivers ($1,050) and two new set of 3 and 5 woods ($900) within a five month span.

Was that necessary ....... absolutely NOT.

Flash forward to this year.

I spent $500 on some lessons. I still have my three sets of irons, two of the new drivers and one set of the 3 and 5 woods sitting in the garage.

After my lessons I realized that my old Mizuno MX-23 were what I wanted to play and I dropped from a 17 at the end of last year to a 11 today.

So basically I could have just the same enjoyment without going crazy buying a bunch of new clubs.

Not sure but everyone I know that is getting out of golf states the same reason, it takes too long.

Yep. Two buckets on the range in 1 hour or two buckets on the course for 4 or more hours.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

They don't love the game then IMO, because for me, and everyone I play with, it's doesn't take long enough.

Slow play? sure, it's a problem, different issue though.

As long as I'm playing I don't want to stop, I'll walk 24 holes until it gets dark and then wake up and do it all again, 4+ hour rounds? who cares? make it 6, as long we're playing.

I don't find time to play golf, I don't try to get rounds into my day, if duty doesn't call, then golf does and everything, and I mean everything else can wait.

right on.  If you love to play it really shouldn't matter where you play or with what clubs.  Some of my most enjoyable rounds were on munis, or paired with golfers I didn't know, or with rental clubs.  My regulars will play til we drop.  I have walked 36, rode 45, and routinely walk extra holes when the course is open.  People quit golf because they get frustrated with mishitting golf balls period.  Some people can't accept failure.  Doesn't matter whther you shoot scratch or double bogey golf, you will fail to hit the shots you want, and can be quite frustrating.  But if you love eye-hand coordination games, golf is hard to beat.  If you walk, golf can be a decent way to get some exercise too.  I maintain a love for golf, even when I'm playing like doo-doo is to stay focused on what I can do and not what I did.  I do understand paying more to play decently marshalled courses.  Some of our munis aren't marshalled, and it can be a problem.

This was my 1st ever thread so pretty chuffed its got people thinking and talking. When i think about equipment cost's i think a lot of the problem, among younger players anyway, is peer pressure. For some there is nothing worse than then standing on the 1st tee with your budget/old driver as your mate pulls out their new super club like they're pulling excalibur from the stone!!. But have to admit its a great feeling when your cheap driver lands plum on the fairway and they off into the trees!

On the point of membership cost we have some pretty draconian ways here in the UK in that many courses seem to focus on the retired golfer or those who dont need to work (directors...lottery winners ;-) ) by offering weekday memberships. This is obviously cheaper, and good on those who can take advantage, but for those of us who can only play weekends its the full 7 day membership or nothing ( at least at the courses i have checked). I would like to see them offer weekend only memberships, im sure this would be possible.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

This was my 1st ever thread so pretty chuffed its got people thinking and talking. When i think about equipment cost's i think a lot of the problem, among younger players anyway, is peer pressure. For some there is nothing worse than then standing on the 1st tee with your budget/old driver as your mate pulls out their new super club like they're pulling excalibur from the stone!!. But have to admit its a great feeling when your cheap driver lands plum on the fairway and they off into the trees! On the point of membership cost we have some pretty draconian ways here in the UK in that many courses seem to focus on the retired golfer or those who dont need to work (directors...lottery winners ;-) ) by offering weekday memberships. This is obviously cheaper, and good on those who can take advantage, but for those of us who can only play weekends its the full 7 day membership or nothing ( at least at the courses i have checked). I would like to see them offer weekend only memberships, im sure this would be possible.

Yes and most likely more expensive than the weekly only membership.. But should be lower than a full membership.. I can't imaginenit would be a big save though because that's where clubs make most of their money isn't it? I loved the pulling excalibur from the stone line btw funny stuff

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Any form of entertainment is directly reflected by the individuals budget.

Some are more or less fortunate with respect to location they live, and/or expendable income.

An example would be individuals who travel to play in areas during winters to destinations and pay "high season rates"

People who live locally may receive discounts or only play at afternoon rates.

Rates during other seasons can be significantly less.

Equipment on the other hand, can reflect to ones desire for a specific item.

Granted, golf equipment is less expensive in the US than other areas of the world.

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Note: This thread is 3397 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!