IGNORED

Big Break Palm Beaches Discussion Thread

Slowcelica
Note: This thread is 3214 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

lets go with one of my favorites, shenanigans

the panel will accept also:

Tomfoolery

High jinks

Capers

Naughtiness

Nonsense

but we will not stand for any horsing around, fooling around, funny business, or monkeyshine

• Upvote 2

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I thought Mondays show was a great example of how important distance is to play good golf.  Both immunity challenges emphasized distance and it wasn't surprising that the longest guys were the ones that won immunity.  I forgot in my earlier rant about Clay to mention how foolish he looked trying to explain away his lack of distance in fear we the viewers would think he's a short hitter.  Sorry Clay but when Chad out drives you, you're a short hitter.  I don't think he had a drive over 240 the entire show.

Joe Paradiso

I just got to watch this weeks episode and was pretty disappointed with Clay to the point where I was rooting for the old man to win. The odds are against Chad but I am loving rooting for him every week.

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

the panel will accept also:

Tomfoolery

High jinks

Capers

Naughtiness

Nonsense

but we will not stand for any horsing around, fooling around, funny business, or monkeyshine

What about monkey business?

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Clay was very talkative this week huh? I didn't like his woe is me attitude after winning the challenge saying "I think the guys are more up set I knocked Tommy out, then me winning"....his opinion, but I didn't see that and I guess now that will be his chip on his shoulder to carry him through.

I still think Richey is the best over all player and dark horse under the radar guy left, wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't win, he's so darn quiet that until he plays you forget he's even there.

I thought Mondays show was a great example of how important distance is to play good golf.  Both immunity challenges emphasized distance and it wasn't surprising that the longest guys were the ones that won immunity.  I forgot in my earlier rant about Clay to mention how foolish he looked trying to explain away his lack of distance in fear we the viewers would think he's a short hitter.  Sorry Clay but when Chad out drives you, you're a short hitter.  I don't think he had a drive over 240 the entire show.

I don't remember the earlier shows, but he's certainly big enough to hit it well past Chad. When he said it ballooned on him I thought to myself that he does not have control of his attack angles (too steep) when he tries to hit it hard. If he's in limbo next show, I expect this competition weakness will be targeted.

Kevin

What made Clay's antics douchey is he didn't own them.  After his "gamesmanship" backfired, he acted like a wimp as he worried about the ramifications his actions would have and how the others would react to it.   This is in stark contrast to Anthony who acted like a jerk and didn't care what the others thought or did.

IMO Clay came off as wimp and a douche this week.

I agree.  It is one thing to give a guy $hit it is another to wish bad on someone.  Hell I am notorious for telling someone on a putt for a half, "get it close."  But as you say I own it and congratulate the guy after the fact.

Then also I pay for a $5 Nassau or a $20 skin.  These guys are playing for much higher stakes.  Maybe that is what turned me off.

{shrug}

At the end of the day it's just a TV show and has no effect on my life.

Maybe it's because I'm rooting for Chad but it seems to me like there are more distance challenges this season than in the past.

As for Clay, what he did didn't bother me and I actually thought it was kind of sad at the end.   That said, maybe he knows he's an underdog and has decided he's going to implement a plan of subterfuge.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

I could be wrong, but..maybe, just maybe, Clay is sensing some very slight desperation..? And trying to syc the other guys out..?

The two sleepers still just having cocktails and free meals and also have their mulligans.  the first challenge was a lock for them - partners, both have mulligans, (still didn't use them and won anyway)

Clay being a bit bitchy again.

Chad messed up in the 2nd challenge - it was a length battle - his mission should have been to NOT come in 4th.  Knowing the other three, it was pretty clear they'd all try long distances and at least one would miss the green.  Chad can't take first place regardless unless all three miss.  So he only needs to hit the green with like a 40 foot shot to GUARANTEE 3rd place or better if even one misses, and an outside chance to win if they all missed.  He actually had the least stressful task since he doesn't have the pressure of trying to come in first by out hitting the others.  And, if he's one of the two in the choice pool for elimination (he makes 2nd or 3rd), you know that he's unlikely to be picked over Kyle or Clay.

Final - surprised neither pro could get up and down from the sand.  That pretty much clinched it.  VERY surprised that the approach shot wizard missed the green on the 3rd leg of elimination.  too bad.

Really the first elimination that was lost, rather than won.

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

Yeah, I had a similar thought about the distance. Why not try like 50 yards or something instead? If just one person misses, you're out of elimination. And if you're Chad, if one person hits the green, you probably can't out distance them anyway.

Clay and Kyle are clearly the two weakest players left. They're going to get picked for elimination if they get to elimination.

Sad to see Chad go. And you're right, he lost that elimination as opposed to Kyle winning it.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

The two sleepers still just having cocktails and free meals and also have their mulligans.  the first challenge was a lock for them - partners, both have mulligans, (still didn't use them and won anyway)

Clay being a bit bitchy again.

Chad messed up in the 2nd challenge - it was a length battle - his mission should have been to NOT come in 4th.  Knowing the other three, it was pretty clear they'd all try long distances and at least one would miss the green.  Chad can't take first place regardless unless all three miss.  So he only needs to hit the green with like a 40 foot shot to GUARANTEE 3rd place or better if even one misses, and an outside chance to win if they all missed.  He actually had the least stressful task since he doesn't have the pressure of trying to come in first by out hitting the others.  And, if he's one of the two in the choice pool for elimination (he makes 2nd or 3rd), you know that he's unlikely to be picked over Kyle or Clay.

Final - surprised neither pro could get up and down from the sand.  That pretty much clinched it.  VERY surprised that the approach shot wizard missed the green on the 3rd leg of elimination.  too bad.

Really the first elimination that was lost, rather than won.

I agree with all of this. Clay's behavior in this challenge was poor and did not reflect well on him. No, your partner didn't give you any help, but to repeatedly throw him under the bus in interviews was poor form. I hope he is the next to go.

Total

First Immunity

Later Immunity

Have Mulligan Left

Impressive Challenge

Terrible Challenge

Guaranteed Elimination Round

Not Picked for Elimination

Survived Elimination

Brandon

Chad

Clay

George

Justin

Kyle

Richy

Robert

Tommy

Tyler

Wesley

Zach

By the "numbers," Clay seems to stack right up there, but I saw a teaser for the next show and they mentioned that at a collegiate level, Clay did not have near the experience or pedigree of the others remaining. He has had 5 immunities of 7 episodes, he has as many impressive challenges as anyone, but he just doesn't seem like he will quite hang with the top tier in a head to head matchup- mostly because of his lack of length.  Big Break ain't about pedigree- just get the job done episode to episode, and Clay is doing that.

Clay was quite pissed at Kyle for not performing as teammates in the short game target challenge. That behavior to me was kinda worse than the silly antics last show. Fair weather friend. Geez, Kyle had a few bad chips... you'd have thought Kyle was the worst person in the world the way Clay was treating him. Wasn't great sportsmanship, although the show has been full of excellent camaraderie thus far that has been refreshing. They're still tough competitors, but have mostly been treating each other well. I've enjoyed that aspect of the season.

Kyle squeaks by yet again, and he racked up another bad challenge with the short game target shooting challenge. He's streaky, so watch out for Kyle. He out-drove Robert in the first part of the challenge, but got too aggressive on his 240yard approach bid.  Although he's got the lowest point total (and has all season), something tells me Kyle may stick around a little longer. He's only had 2 of 7 immunities, so he's used to the end-of-show theatrics.

Everyone else who is left has been immune most shows. Clay 5/7. Justin 5/7. Richy 7/7. Robert 6/7.

Sad to see Chad go down. Very impressive man.

Looks like we're down to 5 now. Spoiler from Monday above, but I'll talk about the "leaders," if there is such a thing.

Richy, Justin, and Robert have to be the clear top 3, right? Richy and Justin still have mulligans. They easily won the short game target challenge, but the other teams didn't fare too well before them, so the pressure was off to some extent. My ad hoc point system in the spoiler doesn't have Robert in the top 3, but he seems to have as much game as anyone there.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I was sad to see Chad get eliminated but it was just a matter of time before his lack of distance caught up with him.  Although lack of distance wasn't the reason he got eliminated it's been a major reason for him to be in so many elimination matches.  Up until this week I thought Clay might be playing a "heel" but he convinced me he's just a jerk given the way he reacted to Kyle's performance in the first immunity challenge.  I wish Chad selected Clay instead of Kyle but I think he was repaying Clay for not selecting him last week.  These guys have to remember it's a competition and they need to forget about friendship until after the show.

I agree Richie and Justin are the front runners at this point with Robert in the role of spoiler.

Joe Paradiso

I was sad to see Chad get eliminated but it was just a matter of time before his lack of distance caught up with him.  Although lack of distance wasn't the reason he got eliminated it's been a major reason for him to be in so many elimination matches.  Up until this week I thought Clay might be playing a "heel" but he convinced me he's just a jerk given the way he reacted to Kyle's performance in the first immunity challenge.  I wish Chad selected Clay instead of Kyle but I think he was repaying Clay for not selecting him last week.  These guys have to remember it's a competition and they need to forget about friendship until after the show.

I agree Richie and Justin are the front runners at this point with Robert in the role of spoiler.

Was sorry to see Chad go too. Hoped he could hang on until nearer the end. Still, his performance was inspiring.

Kevin

Agreed.....I really hated to see Chad go.    With that said, his course strategy alone sent him packing!!!   He had no chance to win immunity in a "distance related" challenge!  No chance in hell............What was he thinking going for the green with a 3-wood from 220yds????  If he makes, he still doesn't win!!  Going into this, I'd think know somebody will surely miss from long range... His strategy was flawed.   If he played conservatively not to come in last..............he would not have been picked.  Of all challenges, this is the one he could play conservatively and nobody would hold it against him.  They all know he's a short knocker, but respect his game by now.

After the 262yd drive...........His best play was to hit the green on the 2nd shot and not finish last!  If I was him, I would have played the 2nd shot from about 55yds!!!!  They all know "Corporal Clutch" by now.........and  there no way in hell he would have been picked for playing conservative in a challenge like this.   He should have played a shorter 2nd shot and he would surely still be alive in the competition.

Chads undoing......trying for the green from 220yds in a distance related challenge.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Chads undoing......trying for the green from 220yds in a distance related challenge.

and not getting up and down from the sand

and missing the green on a short approach shot

Even with the bad thought process in the distance challenge (I 100% agree with you) - he still had mulitiple legitimate chances to stay alive.  He just didn't play well that day.  It happens.

I Big Break, I like the goofy challenges, but as it approaches the final few players I very much like to see it move to more straight golf in the eliminations - and more holes each episode until the finale is 18 holes.  Seems they only really do this for the semi's and the finals.  I'd like that to start earlier.  A couple holes for the first few eliminations, but moving up to 5 or 6, then 9 for the semi's and finally 18 for finals.

Bill - 

I like the goofy challenges, but as it approaches the final few players I very much like to see it move to more straight golf in the eliminations - and more holes each episode until the finale is 18 holes.  Seems they only really do this for the semi's and the finals.  I'd like that to start earlier.  A couple holes for the first few eliminations, but moving up to 5 or 6, then 9 for the semi's and finally 18 for finals.

Agreed. Now the "fun" stuff is over with (fine for the first half dozen episodes), I'd rather watch the last batch of players mostly just play golf. We've learned a lot about them, but surprisingly don't know them in the setting of a real round. It's a different kind of adversity when you're playing a round, compared with just doing each challenge in isolation. Bring it all back to the familiar stuff we love- a round of golf.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Note: This thread is 3214 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!