IGNORED

The Tiger Woods Retirement Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3279 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Could his relationship with ms. Vonn be a factor, in a way that someone who knows what it takes to be the best will motivate him to get the best out of him? She knows what it is or what it takes to be the best. The sacrifice, the labour, the doubt etc.

• Administrator

Haney (go figure!) says Tiger never cared about breaking Jack's record.

One of the commenters says that it was always his DAD's goal, and after he died in 2006, Tiger became his own man for the first time. We'll never really know, but I think his dad's death and the 2009 stuff had a far, far bigger effect than we give them credit.

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2015/2/6/7992981/tiger-woods-jack-nicklaus-majors-record-hank-haney

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I feel it is not classy of mr Haney to shout his opinions like that. What is the point of it? Let it go.

• Administrator
I feel it is not classy of mr Haney to shout his opinions like that. What is the point of it? Let it go.

At this point it is what it is. Still, discussion worthy stuff. Haney's acts have been wrong, but he keeps doing them, so… that's not gonna change any time soon.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't think Haney cares about class. Moreover, Tiger-related issues has always been a juicy cow for Haney to milk.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

I don't think Haney cares about class. Moreover, Tiger-related issues has always been a juicy cow for Haney to milk.

Still, he brings up a good point that I alluded to earlier. How do we know Tiger really wants to break Jack's record? All we know is what he says to the media. At this point, he says he wants to play well, but his actions say otherwise. He's always been a grinder and it was probably worth it when that extra effort meant a chance to win a tournament, but now that he has to grind just to make a cut, I can see how it wouldn't be worth it to a man who's already accomplished so much in his career.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Still, he brings up a good point that I alluded to earlier. How do we know Tiger really wants to break Jack's record? All we know is what he says to the media. At this point, he says he wants to play well, but his actions say otherwise.

He's always been a grinder and it was probably worth it when that extra effort meant a chance to win a tournament, but now that he has to grind just to make a cut, I can see how it wouldn't be worth it to a man who's already accomplished so much in his career.

I'm really not sure if his actions say otherwise. I wish I knew the man, but if a mental overload (overwhelmed mind) plays a factor in his ability to play better, then I would argue that going to Vonn's races, spending more time with the kids, are all things that could potentially help him. Of course he still needs to practice, but having a balanced life can bring new perspectives to life.

Again this is all based on one assumption, one that may not even be valid.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Still, he brings up a good point that I alluded to earlier. How do we know Tiger really wants to break Jack's record? All we know is what he says to the media. At this point, he says he wants to play well, but his actions say otherwise.

He's always been a grinder and it was probably worth it when that extra effort meant a chance to win a tournament, but now that he has to grind just to make a cut, I can see how it wouldn't be worth it to a man who's already accomplished so much in his career.

Indirectly Tiger has said he cares about the record because he's said in past interviews he wants to be considered the best and has acknowledged the best is measured by the number of majors they won.

Joe Paradiso

50% he does

50% he doesnt!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

However I will take a quick moment to put on my tinfoil hat and throw out my theory!

Steroids, Tiger was insanely better than everyone else. He was almost inhuman on a Sunday. There were murmurs about some blood spinning Doctor in Canada, but no one paid attention. Because NO ONE Cared/

Then the baseball players started to get caught but no one paid attention to PGA.

and then Tiger started to breakdown And eerily like A-Rod he is no longer able to hit a ball or stay healthy.

And now he is a mess.

Not saying he is a cheat or that he juiced, but he used a controversial doctor when all was well and no, not so much!

Now I will take my tin foil hat off!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

However I will take a quick moment to put on my tinfoil hat and throw out my theory!

Steroids, Tiger was insanely better than everyone else. He was almost inhuman on a Sunday. There were murmurs about some blood spinning Doctor in Canada, but no one paid attention. Because NO ONE Cared/

Then the baseball players started to get caught but no one paid attention to PGA.

and then Tiger started to breakdown And eerily like A-Rod he is no longer able to hit a ball or stay healthy.

And now he is a mess.

Not saying he is a cheat or that he juiced, but he used a controversial doctor when all was well and no, not so much!

Now I will take my tin foil hat off!

Right, because there is no other reason why somebody would be healthy for many years and then over time start to become a little more fragile and a little less healthy, right?

I think unfounded steroid accusations should be reserved for people who were good and then either age/get hurt and miraculously come back from it, or simply just never age.

Tiger is, as far as I can see, just aging. (very UNgracefully ;))

Right, because there is no other reason why somebody would be healthy for many years and then over time start to become a little more fragile and a little less healthy, right? I think unfounded steroid accusations should be reserved for people who were good and then either age/get hurt and miraculously come back from it, or simply just never age. Tiger is, as far as I can see, just aging. (very UNgracefully ;))

So is Phil who is 5 years his senior and won a major at 43. 39 is a bit young to fall apart physically if not aided by another entity. Could be genetics, dunno what his pop was like at 39 but to chalk Tiger's woes up to mere aging I think is a bit...generous.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

So is Phil who is 5 years his senior and won a major at 43. 39 is a bit young to fall apart physically if not aided by another entity. Could be genetics, dunno what his pop was like at 39 but to chalk Tiger's woes up to mere aging I think is a bit...generous.

I don't understand ... are you suggesting that Tiger takes Performance DEhancing drugs?

• Administrator

So… everyone ages at exactly the same rate? :-P

So… everyone ages at exactly the same rate? :-P

No, of course not but a healthy dude like Tiger, who takes care of himself as he does and has the finest trainers and nutritionists at his disposal, should not be breaking down at 39.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

And now he is a mess.

Tiger has dealt with injuries/surgeries since his Stanford days.

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/10709728/tiger-woods-injury-line

1994: Tumor removal. When Woods was a student at Stanford University, he had a benign tumor removed from his left knee.

2002: Cyst removal, fluid drain. In December of 2002, Woods had a benign cyst removed from his left knee and fluid drained from around one of his ligaments. He returned to play at the 2003 Buick Invitational, which he won.

2006: Shoulder. After winning the World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational and the Deutsche Bank Championship in back-to-back weeks, Woods was unsure whether he would be able to play in the World Golf Championships-American Express Championship due to an injured muscle in his left shoulder blade. He did in fact play the event, winning with a total of -23.

2007: Ruptured ACL. Woods ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee while at home running after the 2007 British Open but decided against surgery. He then went on to win five of his next six events.

2008: Arthroscopic knee surgery. Two days after the 2008 Masters, Woods -- who finished second -- had arthroscopic knee surgery to clean out cartilage. He was set to recover in 4-6 weeks. He made his return to the course at the U.S. Open. The result? He won.

2008: ACL repair. Woods has reconstructive surgery on the damaged ACL and missed the remainder of the 2008 season. In addition to the ACL problem, Woods also has a double stress fracture in his left tibia as a result of preparations for the 2008 U.S. Open.

2008-09: Torn right Achilles tendon. At the 2010 Masters, Woods revealed that he tore his right Achilles tendon in 2008, and re-injured the tendon several times in 2009, yet continued to play.

2010: Apparent neck injury. Woods is forced to withdraw from The PLAYERS during the final round with a neck injury. An MRI reveals that Woods has an inflamed facet joint in his neck.

April 26, 2011: Left MCL sprain, strained left Achilles tendon. Tiger Woods announces he will miss the Wells Fargo Championship in North Carolina. Woods suffered a Grade 1 mild MCL sprain to his left knee and a mild strain to his left Achilles tendon while hitting a difficult and awkward second shot from the pine straw under the Eisenhower tree left of the fairway at No. 17 during the third round of the Masters. Woods was able to continue playing at Augusta and then later decided to seek a medical evaluation.

May 12, 2011: Knee, Achilles act up. Tiger withdraws from The Players Championship with apparent injuries after nine holes (shot 42). "The knee acted up, and then the Achilles followed after that, and then the calf started cramping up. Everything started getting tight," he said. Woods didn't play again until WGC-Bridgestone Invitational in August 2011.

March 11, 2012: Injury to left Achilles tendon. Withdraws from final round of WGC-Cadillac Championship.

March 2, 2014: Back issues. Withdraws from the final round of The Honda Classic.

March 18, 2014: Back spasms. Announces he won't play Arnold Palmer Invitational, citing lingering pain.

April 1, 2014: Back surgery. Announces he will miss the Masters after undergoing a procedure, called a microdiscectomy, for a pinched nerve, which has been hurting him for several months. Woods said he will return to golf "sometime this summer."

I think unfounded steroid accusations should be reserved for people who were good and then either age/get hurt and miraculously come back from it, or simply just never age.

Or come back from an offseason looking much bigger, which never happened with Tiger. His "filling out" has been gradual.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator
No, of course not but a healthy dude like Tiger, who takes care of himself as he does and has the finest trainers and nutritionists at his disposal, should not be breaking down at 39.

And an NFC team is going to win the Super Bowl. ;-)

I have a hard time believing that. In his interview with Mike Tirico, he sounded pretty dead set on that record. He kept repeating the number "18" as his goal. Now I do think the motivation to break 18 has definitely dropped as he's gotten older and family's come into his life, but I believe up until at least a few years ago he was very obsessed with it.

Note: This thread is 3279 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!