IGNORED

Does Anyone Still Use "Old" Clubs on a Regular Basis?

WedgeHead
Note: This thread is 840 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

wilson fluid feel blades in my bag,circa mid 80's,they are things of beauty in great cond ,i re grip them every year,regroove every other and will shed many tears when they fall apart altho i feel i might first!! everything else is pretty new but my irons are forever

I'm on such a budget that I still use a mix of used clubs that are principally Dunlop DMTs. I'm guessing them to be at least 10 years old. My driver is an R5 and I have a Wilson Prostaff 3W that I've borrowed long-term from a friend.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wouldnt say mine are old old but they arent new. Ping G5 driver is from about 2008 along with the Burner hybrid and Di9's. I like to play on a budget so im happy to play older or off brand clubs and balls,

Most of my golf clothes are Dunlop and ive just actually had my new Dunlop NZ9 5w delivered. Had good reviews and is actually made from decent components.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

I have a set of Lynx Black Cats from when Lynx was Lynx and not GolfSmith.  I play with them about once every couple of months.  Not sure why I guess just because I like them.

Butch

For fun we have a once a year old club tournament. Clubs must be pre 1995 and putter must be a straight blade. The only new technology is the golf ball. You can use whatever ball you want. Do find the lower compression they tend to work best.

For fun we have a once a year old club tournament. Clubs must be pre 1995 and putter must be a straight blade. The only new technology is the golf ball. You can use whatever ball you want. Do find the lower compression they tend to work best.

I'd like to see something like this nearby me. I've seen a few tennis tournaments where they use wood rackets and such but golfers seem to appreciate this idea a lot less.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Far be it from me to say what clubs someone should play. It's whatever works, right. I played older clubs for quite a few years but it did make a difference when I started playing new clubs. Today, my irons, Cobra, and driver, Cleveland, are just one year old. My Cobra hybrids are three years old.

The new technology makes the game so much easier that unless it's a money issue I'm not sure why anyone would not upgrade. The game is hard enough playing the newest and best equipment. Why make it harder?

cubdog

Ross (aka cubdog)

i upgrade every year. However, I do it by segment..one year driver next year hybrid and so on. Finding equipment especially irons have not changed much over the past 2 years. Are we getting at a point of diminishing returns on equipment?

Are we getting at a point of diminishing returns on equipment?

Personally, I feel that iron technology has pretty much reached its peak. Beginning with the development of perimeter weighted clubs in the 1980's I think we have reached a level of forgiveness enjoyed by amateurs and pros alike.

However, it seems like fairway metals continue to evolve in shaft and head design. Even after a size limitation was placed on drivers in 2004, drivers still continue to come out with claims of increased distance and accuracy.

Putters come in all shapes and sizes. I think this is the fun part of looking for clubs. We all search for the magic putter that allows us to make the 3 to 10 foot putts with regularity, as well as drain the occasional longer putt. And then, after we find one that does well for a while, we go back and look again, just hoping to save a stroke or two per round.

That leaves the golf ball. Anyone who played golf back in the balata age will tell you that the new balls are amazing for distance, accuracy and durability. And, in my opinion, golf ball will continue to improve for years to come.

Companies are spending millions of dollars yearly on improvement of equipment, whether it be fairway metals, irons, putters or balls. When they have proven results with effective marketing, not only do they make huge profits, but make the game we love that much more enjoyable.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Personally, I feel that iron technology has pretty much reached its peak. Beginning with the development of perimeter weighted clubs in the 1980's I think we have reached a level of forgiveness enjoyed by amateurs and pros alike.

However, it seems like fairway metals continue to evolve in shaft and head design. Even after a size limitation was placed on drivers in 2004, drivers still continue to come out with claims of increased distance and accuracy.

Putters come in all shapes and sizes. I think this is the fun part of looking for clubs. We all search for the magic putter that allows us to make the 3 to 10 foot putts with regularity, as well as drain the occasional longer putt. And then, after we find one that does well for a while, we go back and look again, just hoping to save a stroke or two per round.

That leaves the golf ball. Anyone who played golf back in the balata age will tell you that the new balls are amazing for distance, accuracy and durability. And, in my opinion, golf ball will continue to improve for years to come.

Companies are spending millions of dollars yearly on improvement of equipment, whether it be fairway metals, irons, putters or balls. When they have proven results with effective marketing, not only do they make huge profits, but make the game we love that much more enjoyable.

IMO.....One of the biggest advancements in irons recently for a good golfer  I feel was/is the speed pocket with the rocketball irons- which looks like you play. It works, higher launch lower spin and some greater distance with a steeper descent. Yes, I am aware the lofts are different- but so are other clubs.  I've seen it on a launch monitor and I have seen my friends over Iron game get better more GIR, more pars.

Lynx BOOM-BOOM driver 10.5 degree

Petron Impala Irons 1-PW

Bombardier FW Wood 3

Dunlap Deluxe Wedge 55 degree

Green Master Putter 33"

I have a BOOM-BOOM as well. I don't use it much, but it along with an original 16* Taylor Raylor from the same period are two I will keep forever.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I have a BOOM-BOOM as well. I don't use it much, but it along with an original 16* Taylor Raylor from the same period are two I will keep forever.

I have a 17° TM System 2 Raylor from 1991 that still has a spot in my bag. :-)

Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer

Been playing the same Tommy Armour Silver Scot 845 irons for 17 years now.

I remember when Mark Calcavecchia began playing Silver Scots. He had won 6 times from 1986 to 1989 when he won the British Open playing Ping Eye 2 irons. He then got a big contract and changed to Tommy Armour, and didn't win again until 1992, and then only 6 times after that from 1995-2007. (I'm not sure what year that he eventually went back to Ping, but he still plays Eye 2 wedges which first came out in 1982.  http://www.equip2golf.com/archives/history/ping_frameset.html?ping_eye2.html~archives)

Now, was it the clubs that made such a drastic difference? That's a great question that can be debated. My opinion is that if Calc would have stayed with his Eye 2's, he would have won more than 13 tournaments on the PGA tour.

I remember when Mark Calcavecchia began playing Silver Scots. He had won 6 times from 1986 to 1989 when he won the British Open playing Ping Eye 2 irons. He then got a big contract and changed to Tommy Armour, and didn't win again until 1992, and then only 6 times after that from 1995-2007. (I'm not sure what year that he eventually went back to Ping, but he still plays Eye 2 wedges which first came out in 1982.  http://www.equip2golf.com/archives/history/ping_frameset.html?ping_eye2.html~archives)

Now, was it the clubs that made such a drastic difference? That's a great question that can be debated. My opinion is that if Calc would have stayed with his Eye 2's, he would have won more than 13 tournaments on the PGA tour.

Maybe that's why I struggle to break 90 consistently? ;)

- Mark

Been playing the same Tommy Armour Silver Scot 845 irons for 17 years now.

If I were to go back and play any of my old irons it might well be the 845s. They were some seriously good irons IMO.

cubdog

• Upvote 1

Ross (aka cubdog)

Note: This thread is 840 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!