IGNORED

2015 NFL Football Thread

phan52
Note: This thread is 3001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Upon further review, Goodell is a lying POS and the Pats are still cheaters. Not that it needed verification.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13533995/split-nfl-new-england-patriots-apart

That was a good read with some new information I hadn't heard or read, thanks for posting.

The NFL television ratings is highly dependent on gambling and fantasy football.  The integrity of the game is critical for the NFL to maintain the gambling interests that support it.  If the Patriots had an unfair advantage due to Spy Gate or Deflate Gate that would mean not only did the teams they faced possibly get cheated out of a win but it also means some Vegas book makers and gamblers could have lost significant amounts of money unjustly.  I believe the integrity of the game and how it impacts gambling is what Goodell and the owners were trying to protect with the current CBA and why Goodell was so adamant about punishing the Pats and Brady for DeflateGate.

Belichick should have been suspended for an entire season for Spy Gate and now we know why he wasn't.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by phan52

Upon further review, Goodell is a lying POS and the Pats are still cheaters. Not that it needed verification.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13533995/split-nfl-new-england-patriots-apart

That was a good read with some new information I hadn't heard or read, thanks for posting.

The NFL television ratings is highly dependent on gambling and fantasy football.  The integrity of the game is critical for the NFL to maintain the gambling interests that support it.  If the Patriots had an unfair advantage due to Spy Gate or Deflate Gate that would mean not only did the teams they faced possibly get cheated out of a win but it also means some Vegas book makers and gamblers could have lost significant amounts of money unjustly.  I believe the integrity of the game and how it impacts gambling is what Goodell and the owners were trying to protect with the current CBA and why Goodell was so adamant about punishing the Pats and Brady for DeflateGate.

Belichick should have been suspended for an entire season for Spy Gate and now we know why he wasn't.

Thing is, I'm sure that the Patriots are just the tip of the iceberg.  It would be naïve for anybody to think that every other team in the league is pure as the driven snow and the Pats are the only big fat cheaters.  The Pats got caught and have been under increased scrutiny ever since, probably at least in part due to their fairly continual success, but I don't believe for a second that they're the only team seeking every little advantage they can get to win - honestly or not-so-honestly.

I'm not absolving them of blame or trying to justify it by the "everybody is doing it" defense - I'm not saying it's right, just that they're not the only ones doing it.  Football is a multi-billion dollar industry and players/coaches who aren't winning don't hang on to their big money contracts for long.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Thing is, I'm sure that the Patriots are just the tip of the iceberg.  It would be naïve for anybody to think that every other team in the league is pure as the driven snow and the Pats are the only big fat cheaters.  The Pats got caught and have been under increased scrutiny ever since, probably at least in part due to their fairly continual success, but I don't believe for a second that they're the only team seeking every little advantage they can get to win - honestly or not-so-honestly.

I'm not absolving them of blame or trying to justify it by the "everybody is doing it" defense - I'm not saying it's right, just that they're not the only ones doing it.  Football is a multi-billion dollar industry and players/coaches who aren't winning don't hang on to their big money contracts for long.

No doubt, the Pats might be better than the rest at cheating but I'm sure the other teams are trying to gain their own edge by questionable means as well.  We know that Brady wasn't the first QB to deflate footballs to improve his grip.

Joe Paradiso

So now that deflate gate is over (well at least for now).  How do you guys think the pats will do this year?  I think the AFC is pretty wide open and they have a good chance to get back to the Super Bowl.   Indy looks like the other power house in the conference but besides that New England has a good shot.  Just to make it clear I don't like the pats or Brady at all.  I was just talking about this with a few buddies and was wondering what everyone thought.

So now that deflate gate is over (well at least for now).  How do you guys think the pats will do this year?  I think the AFC is pretty wide open and they have a good chance to get back to the Super Bowl.   Indy looks like the other power house in the conference but besides that New England has a good shot.  Just to make it clear I don't like the pats or Brady at all.  I was just talking about this with a few buddies and was wondering what everyone thought.

The AFC East could be very competitive or it could just be a lot of smoke and mirrors.

Patriots - Super Bowl champions with some off season losses at nose tackle and running back.  Overall expect them to win the division

Miami - still waiting for Tannehill to prove he's got the talent and leadership to take the team deep into the playoffs.   Lamar Miller and Jarvis Landry need to step up.

Buffalo - some major upgrades on offense but big question mark at QB.  Defense should be solid under Rex.  They also have some potential locker room problems with Incognito and Harvin.

Jets - solidified the defense with Cromartie and Revis but losing Sheldon Richardson for at least 4 games and an unhappy Wilkerson could mean the front line doesn't generate the pass rush they did last year.  Still big weakness at QB and uncertainty with new coaching staff.

Joe Paradiso

The AFC East could be very competitive or it could just be a lot of smoke and mirrors.

Patriots - Super Bowl champions with some off season losses at nose tackle and running back.  Overall expect them to win the division

Miami - still waiting for Tannehill to prove he's got the talent and leadership to take the team deep into the playoffs.   Lamar Miller and Jarvis Landry need to step up.

Buffalo - some major upgrades on offense but big question mark at QB.  Defense should be solid under Rex.  They also have some potential locker room problems with Incognito and Harvin.

Jets - solidified the defense with Cromartie and Revis but losing Sheldon Richardson for at least 4 games and an unhappy Wilkerson could mean the front line doesn't generate the pass rush they did last year.  Still big weakness at QB and uncertainty with new coaching staff.

I think the lose of Browner and Revis will hurt the pats also.  I don't think anyone else in the division has enough at QB to really challenge them (at least not this year).

I think the lose of Browner and Revis will hurt the pats also.  I don't think anyone else in the division has enough at QB to really challenge them (at least not this year).

Yeah, losing Revis could hurt them but they didn't seem to care much when he left so they might be okay with the young guys they have stepping into replace him.

Joe Paradiso

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/09/08/patriots-cheating-suspicions-bill-belichick-tom-brady

Similar to the ESPN article, but from the prospective of other teams.  Reports of teams going to great lengths when playing the Patriots to guard their equipment, locker room, water, everything.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

The Patriots will always be in the mix as long as they have Tom Brady. I think their defense will be a little shaky but they will always score a lot of points with Brady, Gronk and Edelman. Still the cream of the AFC East.

The Colts appear to be the new flavor in the AFC but their defense is still awful, IMO. The Ravens appear to play the best vs. NE and I am interested to see how Pittsburgh fares tonight. Pittsburgh might be another team with a suspect defense.

If I had to pick today, I would still have to take the Pats to win the AFC.

Taking the Jets in my suicide pool.

Bill M

The Patriots will always be in the mix as long as they have Tom Brady. I think their defense will be a little shaky but they will always score a lot of points with Brady, Gronk and Edelman. Still the cream of the AFC East.

The Colts appear to be the new flavor in the AFC but their defense is still awful, IMO. The Ravens appear to play the best vs. NE and I am interested to see how Pittsburgh fares tonight. Pittsburgh might be another team with a suspect defense.

You may want to commit suicide for taking them.  Your expectations are higher than mine for the Jets right now.

Joe Paradiso

Quote:

Originally Posted by newtogolf

You may want to commit suicide for taking them.  Your expectations are higher than mine for the Jets right now.

They're playing the Browns. Even Browns fans will be taking the Jets.

Bill M

I took Tampa in my survival pool.  We get one mulligan so I was hoping to get a bad team out of the way to start the year without using it.

Have you read the posts from Browns fans on TST? The 2007 Derek Anderson team could be playing the 2007 Patriots and they'd still all put their houses on the Browns.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Quote:

Have you read the posts from Browns fans on TST? The 2007 Derek Anderson team could be playing the 2007 Patriots and they'd still all put their houses on the Browns.

The Browns are doomed to eternal mediocrity because they pissed off the football gods by taking a name and a history that did not belong to them.  They are NOT the Browns of Jim Brown and Otto Graham.  They are a completely different team and franchise.  The Browns of Jim Brown and Otto Graham are the Ravens of Joe Flacco, Ray Lewis, and Ed Reed.  This current bunch is some kind of ersatz Browns team and will never be anything more.

They live their life under an assumed name.

This will be much worse than the Babe Ruth curse.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2564959-aldon-smith-getting-fresh-start-with-young-talented-oakland-raiders-pass-rush

I know a lot of people don't like seeing this and I understand completely, I also see why the Raiders jumped at this opportunity though it's a 180* GM Reggie McKenzie has done here, hard to believe but the Raiders are probably one of the cleanest teams in the league when it comes to suspensions for various infractions like substance and domestic abuse and other misconduct in the last 4 years. I'm from the east bay and was raised a raiders fan from the early 70's in fact my earliest memory was probably 1973 watching them live at the coliseum when they finally ended Miami's winning streak. I remember seeing Ray Guy kick punts higher than I have ever seen and everyone in the stands oohing at the ball climbing in the sky. I hope this young man realizes his chances are down to probably this last one and gets his head wrapped around the idea that playing in the NFL is a privilege that can be taken away no matter how much talent you may have and some people feel even this 1 year contract is not sending the right message. Personally I'm torn over it, I don't know how familiar many of you are about the raiders roster but second year player Khalil Mack is probably going to be one of the top pass rushers in the league this year and when you add another player on the same level on the other side of the front 7 it's pretty easy to get excited over the possibilities. I think a very short leash is in order and the team needs to make sure they stick by it or else these are the sort of things that breakdown team chemistry ultimately. I don't think he's an all out bad person more than just immature and narrow minded about how to conduct himself and hopefully he truly gets it by now.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2564959-aldon-smith-getting-fresh-start-with-young-talented-oakland-raiders-pass-rush

I know a lot of people don't like seeing this and I understand completely, I also see why the Raiders jumped at this opportunity though it's a 180* GM Reggie McKenzie has done here, hard to believe but the Raiders are probably one of the cleanest teams in the league when it comes to suspensions for various infractions like substance and domestic abuse and other misconduct in the last 4 years. I'm from the east bay and was raised a raiders fan from the early 70's in fact my earliest memory was probably 1973 watching them live at the coliseum when they finally ended Miami's winning streak. I remember seeing Ray Guy kick punts higher than I have ever seen and everyone in the stands oohing at the ball climbing in the sky. I hope this young man realizes his chances are down to probably this last one and gets his head wrapped around the idea that playing in the NFL is a privilege that can be taken away no matter how much talent you may have and some people feel even this 1 year contract is not sending the right message. Personally I'm torn over it, I don't know how familiar many of you are about the raiders roster but second year player Khalil Mack is probably going to be one of the top pass rushers in the league this year and when you add another player on the same level on the other side of the front 7 it's pretty easy to get excited over the possibilities. I think a very short leash is in order and the team needs to make sure they stick by it or else these are the sort of things that breakdown team chemistry ultimately. I don't think he's an all out bad person more than just immature and narrow minded about how to conduct himself and hopefully he truly gets it by now.

The Raiders have always been a team that shops in the other teams dumpsters.  It's sometimes worked well for them, guess we'll see how this one goes.

Joe Paradiso

The Raiders have always been a team that shops in the other teams dumpsters.  It's sometimes worked well for them, guess we'll see how this one goes.

See this is just taking history from the previous regime and tagging the current FO, the Raiders are not the same team Al Davis used to run, when Mark Davis took over he hired Reggie McKenzie as GM and one of the first things he did was clear out all the toxic contracts and locker room cancer. How many players from the Raiders do you see on this list?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/fines-suspensions/

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Note: This thread is 3001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!