IGNORED

Does anyone hate par-70 courses as much as I do?

Note: This thread is 3348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradsul

I'm more interested in the course rating most of the time.

That was my thought as well.  (And, given my handicap, the slope too.)

Given everyone but a scratch or low single digit, we're all in the same boat. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Two of my favorite courses around here are Par 70 (don't play them much, though, but that's because they are expen$$$$ive)

Pelican Hill South Course and Monarch Beach

PH has four par 3's and two par 5's, Monarch has five par 3's and three par 5's.

Two of my favorite courses around here are Par 70 (don't play them much, though, but that's because they are expen$$$$ive)

Pelican Hill South Course and Monarch Beach

PH has four par 3's and two par 5's, Monarch has five par 3's and three par 5's.

Next time you decide to go to either of them, let me know, please? The first person costs $320 or something like that and the foursome is only $420 or something like that.

Those are two really nice courses. I wish I were playing at my current level (actually. . . better than my current level) when I got to play them. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Semi OT

The course at Discovery Bay, Hong Kong has (or had) a Par-7 18th. Over 700m, or more than 765 yards.

It was fun to play - once.

Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir, and I never slice.   

Well, it's a lot easier to break 80 on them.....

As a shorter hitter, I like the scoring opportunities that par-5's provide, but if the course is otherwise well laid out and interesting, I don't care all that much.

I'd love to play on some of the courses you guys play. It would seem that almost everyone thinks that all par 5s are birdie opportunities. Not where I play.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

The first person costs $320 or something like that and the foursome is only $420 or something like that.

???  Where did you hear this?

That was the price structure about 3 years ago, when I went. I just looked it up now, and it's $305 per person on the weekdays. . .

Wow, expensive. I don't think, I'll be going back again unless I make it big somewhere.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Par is just a number. It doesn't mean squat. What is important to the golfer is the score they shoot. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :dance:

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Par is just a number. It doesn't mean squat. What is important to the golfer is the score they shoot. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :dance:

It might just be all in my head, I just tend to struggle on par-70 layouts... I think most of it is mental... only having 2 par-5s does something to my brain

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I'd love to play on some of the courses you guys play. It would seem that almost everyone thinks that all par 5s are birdie opportunities. Not where I play.

I never said anything about birdie opportunities necessarily. Just that as a short hitter, I tend to have a shorter approach into a 525 yard par-5 than into a 410+ yard par-4. I guess that means more, or at least better birdie "opportunities", but it's only relative. I'm curious. What is it about your par-5's that differ so much from those that I've played around the rest of the world?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorty

I never said anything about birdie opportunities necessarily. Just that as a short hitter, I tend to have a shorter approach into a 525 yard par-5 than into a 410+ yard par-4. I guess that means more, or at least better birdie "opportunities", but it's only relative.

I'm curious. What is it about your par-5's that differ so much from those that I've played around the rest of the world?

I was going to ask the same question. It just seems like you have more chances to screw up and still make a par.

I seem to do one stroke better at par 71 course than I do at par 72 course ...

Unless you get the same score, then you would do one stroke worse. . . B-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I think the courses should be set up so that the tips are properly rated for Pro standards, so that players that choose to can test themselves against the best players in the world with confidence in the stroke distances via the official third parties in charge of THE GAME. I think the word par means professional par by modern definition and adjustments to forward tees should start from the official pro distances. I think the short and mid tees could even have a different and perhaps more traditional par value. I dont have a hang up about adjusting a number upward for fun, but it should be consistent in its application to an amatuer standard. Yep. I just suggested different numbers for different tees. Its just a scorecard. Use some extra ink And produce different games. Variety makes the game fun, and I would like a course to be set up to challenge all the clubs/shots in my bag regardless of length. I think a lot of short course par fours should be par 3s for example, by adjusting front and mid tee boxes forward, leaving at least one driver length par three for the tips. Its a rare thing for a course to demand accuracy from all clubs. This variety is harder to implement on a short course. I hate the courses where a Driver, 7i,pw and putter are all you need.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

I think the courses should be set up so that the tips are properly rated for Pro standards, so that players that choose to can test themselves against the best players in the world with confidence in the stroke distances via the official third parties in charge of THE GAME. I think the word par means professional par by modern definition and adjustments to forward tees should start from the official pro distances.

I think the short and mid tees could even have a different and perhaps more traditional par value. I dont have a hang up about adjusting a number upward for fun, but it should be consistent in its application to an amatuer standard. Yep. I just suggested different numbers for different tees. Its just a scorecard. Use some extra ink And produce different games.

Variety makes the game fun, and I would like a course to be set up to challenge all the clubs/shots in my bag regardless of length. I think a lot of short course par fours should be par 3s for example, by adjusting front and mid tee boxes forward, leaving at least one driver length par three for the tips. Its a rare thing for a course to demand accuracy from all clubs. This variety is harder to implement on a short course. I hate the courses where a Driver, 7i,pw and putter are all you need.

Many of the new courses being built already are fitting into these requirements of yours. They're getting harder and harder to play. The greens at most country clubs are pretty aggressive too.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

http://www.wicz.com/golf/maplehill/index.asp

Here's The scorecard

Based on the picture on the card, the yardages and a quick look on Google Earth, this course looks dull. Just a golf course on an uninteresting piece of ground with little challenge.

But in general a par 70 course does not have to be dull. It's up to the architect to use the available ground and find the best golf holes on that land. Often that means there's not room for 4 par 5's but having a variety of par 4 holes can make up for that. St. Andrews has 14 par 4 holes and no one would consider it dull.

I do not mind them, speaking as a high handicapper, I am more interested in just playing golf and getting the practice in ... a par 70 certainly fits that requirement ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I never gave much thought to it since all of the courses I play are par 71 or 72.  As a higher HCP I do like the par 5's since I have a reasonable chance at par over a 430 yard par 4, and I am sure that the longer hitters like the opportunity to go for the green in 2.  You do have a choice of where to play, so just avoid the par 70's if they upset you.

I'm talking about your 6400+ yard, par-70 courses that like to rub the fact they are a par-70 in your face...

I never gave much thought to it since all of the courses I play are par 71 or 72.  As a higher HCP I do like the par 5's since I have a reasonable chance at par over a 430 yard par 4, and I am sure that the longer hitters like the opportunity to go for the green in 2.  You do have a choice of where to play, so just avoid the par 70's if they upset you.

430 yards will probably be one of the shorter par 4s. Lucky for us , there are not that many "rub it in your face 6400+ yard" par 70 courses. :-X

EDIT: Here's an example http://course.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/course/course/homsteadcascades/actual.htm

Looks like there are some pretty long par 4s on the blue tees.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 3348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!