GHIN0011458

Swing Speed Chart Accuracy?

42 posts / 21460 viewsLast Reply

Looking at the chart and assuming solid contact it pretty much jives for me.  I fall somewhere between the 100 and senior tour 106 speed numbers depending on the day...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well it is kind of silly but it works. I could make a video but here is what I do- Laugh if you wish;

This is actually pretty simple. I'm going to try it. Thanks.

No problem- I hit some pop-ups and while this thread has gone way off topic, I don't mind hitting those- over exaggerate it. I am trying to hit the ball a tad high on the clubface for the least amount of spin too.

Do I get an award for that artwork?

No problem- I hit some pop-ups and while this thread has gone way off topic, I don't mind hitting those- over exaggerate it. I am trying to hit the ball a tad high on the clubface for the least amount of spin too.

Do I get an award for that artwork?

You'd need to redo the arrows, I suppose you could get one for the tee box, ball and tees. . . :banana:

Haha, the old "Do the thing you're supposed to or hit bad stuff" drill. Works every time.

Haha, the old "Do the thing you're supposed to or hit bad stuff" drill. Works every time.

I suppose I could put one of those log shaped tee markers in front of the tee and try to avoid hitting it, again. Now, that was pretty bad. . . :doh:

This situation shows the added benefit of steel shafts, BTW. I'm still using it with no damage to the club whatsoever. The titanium G15 head is pretty much indestructible too as it turns out! :banana:

My dad hits a driver 240-250 and his swing speed was 93-96 mph the other day, so that's pretty accurate. Curiously, he hits nice and high short irons in the 130 column.

So I would not base speed solely around irons, which may have a lot more variables due to different approaches to the shots, club weights, raw strength etc.

The chart is pretty accurate but keep in mind your ball will make a big difference. I see an extra 15 yards both on flightscope and the range using something like a chrome soft versus a range ball.

Saw this article. I find it interesting that they only included the carry distance for driver.  Based upon my own yardages I think the other numbers are total, but I am not sure.  Either this chart is wrong or my understanding of my own club head speed is wrong or I am continually misreading my own yardages.  I don't quite know what to think.

Does this chart jive with your understanding of your own swing?

golf-clubs.jpg

Distance in golf is hard to get, but no matter how far you hit the golf ball, it is important you at least understand your own distances.

10 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

Saw this article. I find it interesting that they only included the carry distance for driver.  Based upon my own yardages I think the other numbers are total, but I am not sure.  Either this chart is wrong or my understanding of my own club head speed is wrong or I am continually misreading my own yardages.  I don't quite know what to think.

golf-clubs.jpg

Distance in golf is hard to get, but no matter how far you hit the golf ball, it is important you at least understand your own distances.

I merged your topic with an existing one because that chart (or a similar one) has been here for a while.

Seems accurate for me. Where is the discrepancy for you?

Pretty accurate for me.  I think the point of the article was that not every drive is perfect. So it's likely less than people think considering their own club head speed.

29 minutes ago, billchao said:

I merged your topic with an existing one because that chart (or a similar one) has been here for a while.

I think it's pretty close.  I fall somewhere between the 100 -110 mph swing speed.  For the most part, you can add a 5-8 yards to the 100 mph and it's spot on for me when compared to Flightscope measurements and my gc2 data.

6 minutes ago, phillyk said:

Pretty accurate for me.  I think the point of the article was that not every drive is perfect. So it's likely less than people think considering their own club head speed.

I think the point of the article was that people tend to take their best hits and make assumptions based on that.

31 minutes ago, billchao said:

I have had my club head speed checked by machine twice. (It was at golftech, and the PGA store so I presume the machines are accurate)  I got results from like 98-105 with driver.  From those results, I thought those numbers would produce the distances I get.  But my observed distances are just about at the 110 mark, and if you follow that 110 column down, those are all accurate.  Is it possible that I get like an unusual smash factor or something?  Does that happen?  I'm not fitted or anything.

Possible reasons for the discrepancy include:
1. I am routinely bad at measuring distances.  Possible, but pretty unlikely.  I am not into lying to myself.  I want to improve.

2. The measurements were off at the store. - I do not know why they would want to make me think I swing slow with the club they want to sell me.

3.  My swing has improved since then. - Also possible.  I practice what I am taught here a lot.

4. Something else. 

I suppose it does not matter at the end of the day.  My distance estimates are pretty accurate with the clubs and swing I have right now.  I'm just curious.  And it is an issue of pride in some form.  I want to know where I stand, I suppose.

9 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

1. I am routinely bad at measuring distances.  Possible, but pretty unlikely.  I am not into lying to myself.  I want to improve.

Are you basing your iron distances on carry or total? The chart is for carry distance.

10 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

2. The measurements were off at the store. - I do not know why they would want to make me think I swing slow with the club they want to sell me.

The places that use LMs that are not radars I’ve seen will sometimes optimize smash factor and calculate swing speed based on that, so if you don’t hit your driver well you’ll end up getting lower swing speed numbers than you actually have. There used to be a Golf Galaxy near me that did that so if I toed the crap out of the ball it would tell me I swung 90mph or something.

56 minutes ago, billchao said:

Are you basing your iron distances on carry or total? The chart is for carry distance.

The places that use LMs that are not radars I’ve seen will sometimes optimize smash factor and calculate swing speed based on that, so if you don’t hit your driver well you’ll end up getting lower swing speed numbers than you actually have. There used to be a Golf Galaxy near me that did that so if I toed the crap out of the ball it would tell me I swung 90mph or something.

If it is carry distance, it is actually pretty close then.

3 hours ago, Cantankerish said:

It more or less aligns with my swing. Obviously as a 15 handicap I’m not striking the ball perfectly every swing so variability for me is higher - sometimes my 7-iron flies 170, sometimes 155, sometimes 180. I also think on the course adrenaline (or some other physiological phenomenon) gives swing speed a boost in some situations resulting in unexpected length.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• TST Affiliates

SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
    • I recently asked @mvmac, who was familiar with what Dave and I taught, to give us a report card on what advanced players are learning from advanced coaches and how he felt we stood. Mike hasn't seen us teach much in the past four or five years, and we haven't put out a lot of videos (aside from these, of course) lately, either. So some of the things he thinks we teach date back five years or more. Before I get into the list… you're going to quickly see that most of the list is "for better players." I'll make a conscious decision a lot of the time to decide which of two slightly different directions to go. For example, some people here on TST were surprised by the "flow" talk we've had the past several months here on TST. I'll admit to getting people to "create space from the wall" by learning a very centered to even slightly forward-of-center hip pivot (heck, I still give this drill to students), but these are golfers > 6 handicappers (often > 10) who sway their hips back a lot. For them, going a little extreme to this side of things is a conscious choice by me to help their ballstriking. For better players, I talk about more "flow" stuff. I let the right hip look like it moves back an inch or so. The way I talk about a lot of things is a little different. I don't teach "one swing" but I do have one general system of what I think is right, but within that, I have preferences for different types of players. The player who is an 18 who wants to become a 10 and won't really spend a lot of time practicing gets something different than the motivated 6 handicapper trying to become scratch. That all said, the list, and my reactions to it. For Most Players… … I wouldn’t change much, little reverse K setup, err with a stronger grip, Bender/Geoff Jones style pivot with some feet flare, don’t be afraid to get speedy with the arms coming down. So, this is what I talked about up above. For most players — and for us sometimes that's 90% of the people we teach — the simple, very centered, slightly less dynamic pivot stuff he's saying is still pretty good. Again, not much time spent here, so let's move on to the finer details. My text will remain in black. For Better Players… … I don’t know if I would call these changes to what you do but how I would go about teaching better players. Changes in my view from several years ago. In no particular order: Foot Flare No more than 20 degrees of foot flare, even less on trail foot. I understand the reasoning for this, and I'll still add some foot flare to the trail foot for an older good player to help increase range of motion, but I think the gains here are so small that this starts to "matter" (still only a little) to scratch golfers or better. But, maybe there's something to learn here… Hips/Pelvis Pelvis more level or even slight LPT at 1 Avoid idea or image of hip slide I think I get a check mark here. I talk with even mid-level handicap players lately about "landing" on the front foot, which includes a little "flow" back toward the target with the upper body. Even higher handicappers, while I'm emphasizing "getting forward" (great players still get their weight AND pressure forward - the images in the "hip slide" topic aren't "wrong") the hips getting forward, I talk a lot about "sending energy" forward. Hands A1-A2 Little or no depth with the hands to 2 or even feeling forearm counter rotation in takeaway for players that bank the club inward. From DL, the "curve" of the "hula hoop" is basically negligible in the direction of "depth from A1-A2, so what appears to be "straight back. A2 depends on how quickly a player hinges the club, of course, but most good players have a pretty narrow range here. I probably allow a little more hand depth than Mike would like, but often I feel that's a matter of other things being a priority. I like to see the hands go slightly inward the first half of the backswing while the latter half becomes about more "ascent," but even then a lot of that "slightly" is after 1.75 or so. As a brief aside, I think my own swing is shaping up in this regard nicely. I'd get too shallow, too low, and my wrists would react poorly at the top given what I'd done to get there. I now feel like my hands go out away from me from A1-A2.5, but of course they don't actually. As for the counter-rotation, I'll have Mike clarify perhaps, as we've taught this to even poorer players. The feeling that the right hand stays "on top" a bit longer is very helpful in not swinging the clubhead well behind the player, and in keeping the face a bit "squarer" (or at least not flopping it open) longer. "Stretching" the Trail Side Stretching the trail side without elevating the rib cage I get what he's saying, and it's something I work on myself as well. I'll "stand up" a little too much during the backswing. The feel for me is from the top of the right thigh up across my pelvis and just above my belly button, but the rib cage as Mike says doesn't stretch up. S&T teaches you to feel the stretch further up, up the whole right side, and again for higher handicappers we'll let their hips turn (trail leg extends a good bit) and they'll feel the stretch all the way up, but for lower handicappers, we don't do that quite so much this way. Lead Side Unweighting Unweighting lead side early. That could lead to a trigger move or a slight pelvis bump or a little pressure “rock” to the trail side before the club/hands move back.  But doesn’t has to. I teach this, and in looking at a few videos of some of Dave's better players, he does too. Mike's right that we didn't as much seven years ago, but the pressure data we were early at looking at led to small changes here. Trail Knee Extension Avoid a lot of trail knee extension from 1-3 Ha, addressed above, before I got to this point. We don't teach a lot of this here. Unlike George Gankas. 🙂 At any rate, for a lower handicapper who lacks some range of motion (an older good player), we might let them get away with more trail knee extension, and to be clear the trail knee still extends measurably. Elbows Close Avoid squeezing the arms together at 1 or in the backswing. Hate this one myself. I've been saying for years that squeezing the elbows together during the backswing is almost the surest way to have them come apart during the downswing. Banking the Trail Foot Avoid trying to bank the trail foot, allow heel to come off the ground by 6 Check. I know why Mike added this - a lot of poor players, and a lot of juniors, will shoot their trail knee toward the ball early in the downswing and the heel will come off the ground VERY early. But I looked back at the lessons of my good players, and the notes, and I've not mentioned the trail foot banking in at least several years. And though admittedly I don't have many Justin Thomas type players… I do let people get away with some more of the "knee action" described above with the driver than with irons. Like JT himself. Stopping at A4 Avoid stopping or rehearsing 4. Pending more information, I don't know that I'll agree here, and I might humbly suggest that because what Mike has been working on, he's seeing this as limiting "flow" and the general athletic movement. On that I'd agree, but sometimes stopping at A4 is a good way to check on something that happened from 2-4 or something. Or if I have someone who is across the line and who dumps it under from there, and they're working on not only getting more "laid off" (feeling only) so the club can pitch out a little (paging @saevel25), it can be useful, IMO, to isolate just that piece starting from the proper spot, so you know it's the proper spot. Fast Backswing Fast backswing via body is good. I might be missing something here, too, as we've talked about speeding up the backswing for awhile now. It's even in LSW, and was "old" when we put it in there. Maybe the bit I'm missing is "via body" but I don't feel that way. Two Random Bits Have concepts for the downswing/impact but train the backswing. Understand that a lot that is occurring with the club/limbs/wrist angles is being heavily influenced by the torso/pelvis motion. These are a bit more philosophical, so, I can't really comment concretely here. We work on a lot of backswings, and since the arms are attached to the shoulders, of course a lot of what they do is governed by how their being "flung." And Mike won't deny that sometimes the downswing is what needs the work. I'll make edits as needed, or comment in posts further down the stream, but I'd like to thank Mike for taking the time to comment. I think we/I graded out pretty well, and if nothing else, I think maybe I'll do more to share and talk about some more advanced player "stuff" in the coming weeks, months, years.
    • Bifurcation.  Touring pros play the dimpleless ball.  The rest of us mortals play a ball with dimples and outdrive the pros... with our 7 irons.
    • It's more a matter of the Grint kind of having a bug in how they're calculating some things, I think.
    • I don't particularly want to change bounces. Right now my low end gapping is 130 for 9i, 120 for PW, 100 for GW. Looking for 1 degree weaker PW to make it closer to 115 (I know this isn't ideal or perfect but that was my thought). I also tend to hit my Vokeys better than my AP2s which is why I was maybe looking at a 48 degree Vokey.
    • Had pretty rough front nine today with my swing thoughts. Took one beer after the nine and decided to just let go on back nine and things got way better, bombed all drives and wedges were good. Just 2 birdies tho of which this hole 18 one was tasty as I've been struggling with this before. We had quite heavy headwind and I joked with one guy in our group that I'll offer him a beer if he gets it on the green with 2 shots, he made a meal offer in exchange. Althought this plays only 516 yards from the yellow tees, I feel into the headwind we had it's nearly impossible to get there in 2 with my distances, because there's so much elevation towards green. Hit a really good drive that penetrated throught the wind quite nice being aprox 260-270 yards long. Usually don't hit 3 wood off the fairways since it's quite wild for me, but decided to go for it. Instead of killing it and trying to go for green in hopes of free meal, I hit one little easier over the trees on left side and ended up in good spot for a little wedge. Hit the wedge slightly heavy from a uphill lie and it ended up being ~10 feet short. Did sink the putt which had bit right to left break, patted myself on the back for having the self control to not attack the green. After sauna and that birdie the meal tasted amazing even thought I paid it myself. 😄  
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. AbsoluteTruths
      AbsoluteTruths
      (61 years old)
    2. coop6
      coop6
      (34 years old)
    3. DJYoshi
      DJYoshi
      (39 years old)
    4. GinetteQuiroz
      GinetteQuiroz
      (34 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...