IGNORED

Too much Sharpie on the golf ball?

westcyderydin
Note: This thread is 3318 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is how I mark my ball.  I have had a few embarrassing moments in the past where I've hit the wrong ball.  I started making a black "H" and it happened again.  So now I mark my ball this way so there is 0 chance of me hitting the wrong ball.  It also helps with people accidentally hitting my ball.  ProV1s are common and coveted.  But with my marking on it, people know its mine.

The thing is, with this amount of Sharpie on the ball...especially when I first mark it...i can often see blue marks on my club faces.  This is definitely not my intention, but I wonder if this could be taken as a way of me trying to read the marks on the clubface after a shot.

Are there any rule issues, here?  Ethical issues?  Anybody else notice the Sharpie on the clubface?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Unless you're intentionally lining up the ball so it makes a mark on the face I think you are fine. I remember being paired up with an older guy who marked his balls with a rainbow of marker around them. He used one of those ball spinners to get the lines perfect. They looked like Easter eggs but it was never a question which ball was his.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

This is how I mark my ball.  I have had a few embarrassing moments in the past where I've hit the wrong ball.  I started making a black "H" and it happened again.  So now I mark my ball this way so there is 0 chance of me hitting the wrong ball.  It also helps with people accidentally hitting my ball.  ProV1s are common and coveted.  But with my marking on it, people know its mine.

The thing is, with this amount of Sharpie on the ball...especially when I first mark it...i can often see blue marks on my club faces.  This is definitely not my intention, but I wonder if this could be taken as a way of me trying to read the marks on the clubface after a shot.

Are there any rule issues, here?  Ethical issues?  Anybody else notice the Sharpie on the clubface?

I found this:

http://www.usga.org/RulesFAQ/rules_answer.asp?FAQidx=20&Rule;=6

Lines or Arrows Used to mark Golf Ball

Q.  It is recommended placing an identification mark on my golf ball. May I use a line or an arrow that will also help me align the club face?

A.  Rules 6-5 and 12-2 state that each player should put an identification mark on his ball. Thus, the Rules do not limit the type of markings a player may put on the ball (i.e. arrows, lines, words, etc). Additionally, there is no penalty for using such lines to "line up" prior to a stroke on the putting green or any place else on the course.

Based on that, it seems like it's fine, but I could see there being something elsewhere that addressed an intent to get information back by doing this. My suspicion is that it would have to be an intent-based offense if there were to be an issue.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I draw a line around the circumference of the ball with a sharpie and put a flower the ball. I use the line for putting, and the flower has never let me down as far as ball identification. "Are you sure that's your ball?" See it's a unique marking.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

These are the rules that come to mind concerning what you can apply or put on your golf ball, or club face.   These rules are  "action with intent".    I see no problem with what you are doing or what is happening to your club.

BTW  if you breach R5-2 (use the ball) it's a DQ.  If you breach R4-2, (clubs) it's 2 penalty strokes as soon as you apply the foreign material.  If you use the club it's DQ.

For Balls:

5-2 . Foreign Material

The ball the player plays must not have foreign material applied to it for the purpose of changing its playing characteristics.

For Clubs

:

4-2 . Playing Characteristics Changed and Foreign Material

b . Foreign Material

Foreign material must not be applied to the club face for the purpose of influencing the movement of the ball.

Thread creep.  I see you are a Cub's fan.  Having grown up in Chicago and a Cubs fan since the 60's all I can say is you have my condolences.

Regards,

John

As ugly unique as your mark is, OP, i've certainly seen worse ball ID sketchings.  Don't forget, player always (??) permitted to mark ball, pick up and look.  No cleaning though.

I too get Sharpie marks on my club face, but don't use a Sharpie.  I use only a purple Identi-Pen marking pen by Sakura.  Comes in many colors, has fine/med point. The spot of color on the club is easily removed (brass brush) but not so easily taken off the ball.

The Cubs. Now the new owners are on their way to wrecking the ball park. Is it still Wrigley Field, still have the vines and summer tomato plants up the outfield walls? Night baseball on the North Side-not my idea of progress.

I found this:

Based on that, it seems like it's fine, but I could see there being something elsewhere that addressed an intent to get information back by doing this. My suspicion is that it would have to be an intent-based offense if there were to be an issue.

1. No way can a helicopter land on something that small.

2. marks on the club are not an issue at all.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkolo

I found this:

1. No way can a helicopter land on something that small.

2. marks on the club are not an issue at all.

What about a really small helicopter?

For the club, you must have intentionally added material to the face for it to be a violation.  Example: dew on the face is not a violation.  Spitting and wiping it on the face is.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

For the club, you must have intentionally added material to the face for it to be a violation.  Example: dew on the face is not a violation.  Spitting and wiping it on the face is.

Wouldn't wiping it on  a towel be less painful? :-D

These are the rules that come to mind concerning what you can apply or put on your golf ball, or club face.   These rules are  "action with intent".    I see no problem with what you are doing or what is happening to your club.

BTW  if you breach R5-2 (use the ball) it's a DQ.  If you breach R4-2, (clubs) it's 2 penalty strokes as soon as you apply the foreign material.  If you use the club it's DQ.

For Balls:

5-2. Foreign Material

The ball the player plays must not have foreign material applied to it for the purpose of changing its playing characteristics.

For Clubs

:

4-2. Playing Characteristics Changed and Foreign Material

b. Foreign Material

Foreign material must not be applied to the club face for the purpose of influencing the movement of the ball.

Thread creep.  I see you are a Cub's fan.  Having grown up in Chicago and a Cubs fan since the 60's all I can say is you have my condolences.

Sharpie marker on the ball is not considered foreign material.  Therefore this rule does not come into play at all.  You can put any marking you want on your ball, and if it comes off on your club and you can see where the club struck the ball that's fine as well.  You can use the line you make on your ball (if you use one) to line up drives and putts, and can also use the markings on your ball off the tee as an impact point.

Just so we're clear the "intent" required is to influence the movement of the ball.  Spitting on the club, by itself, is not necessarily a breach.

4-2/4

Applying Saliva to Face of Club

Q .A player spat on the face of his club and did not wipe the saliva off before playing his next stroke. Is this permissible?

A. If the purpose of doing this was to influence the movement of the ball, the player was in breach of Rule 4-2b as saliva is "foreign material."

Regards,

John

Just so we're clear the "intent" required is to influence the movement of the ball.  Spitting on the club, by itself, is not necessarily a breach.

4-2/4

Q .A player spat on the face of his club and did not wipe the saliva off before playing his next stroke. Is this permissible?

A. If the purpose of doing this was to influence the movement of the ball, the player was in breach of Rule 4-2b as saliva is "foreign material."

But, say, saliva solely to get a read on where impact was would or wouldn't be allowed? (Without getting gross, let's just assume it could give you that information).

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dormie1360

4-2/4

But, say, saliva solely to get a read on where impact was would or wouldn't be allowed? (Without getting gross, let's just assume it could give you that information).

Actually the only reason for spitting on the clubface aside from cleaning it is to reduce spin.  I can't imagine getting impact information from it.

As far as the Sharpie, if a player puts a big black spot on the ball fresh every drive, and deliberately puts that spot toward the back for the obvious purpose of checking his impact, then he would be in breach of the rules.  I think that it would fall under Rule 14-3 as unusual use of equipment or using a training aid during the round.

I use a Tin Cup stencil of a shark to mark my ball.  It is a solid black shape made with a Sharpie, but I deliberately do not put it to the back of the ball on the tee.  I'm not worried about someone calling me for a rules breach, I just don't like rubbing the mark off that fast.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Actually the only reason for spitting on the clubface aside from cleaning it is to reduce spin.  I can't imagine getting impact information from it.

As far as the Sharpie, if a player puts a big black spot on the ball fresh every drive, and deliberately puts that spot toward the back for the obvious purpose of checking his impact, then he would be in breach of the rules.  I think that it would fall under Rule 14-3 as unusual use of equipment or using a training aid during the round.

I use a Tin Cup stencil of a shark to mark my ball.  It is a solid black shape made with a Sharpie, but I deliberately do not put it to the back of the ball on the tee.  I'm not worried about someone calling me for a rules breach, I just don't like rubbing the mark off that fast.

You can get use saliva to crudely get a visual on strike because I've seen people do it (and wish I hadn't), but even if we were to treat it purely hypothetically as possible, am I understanding correctly that it would also fall under 14-3 as illegal if done solely for that purpose (applying saliva to the clubface to get a visual reading of impact)?

Dom's Sticks:

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

4-2/4

Thanks for the addition.  This is what I meant.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

4-2/4

I used to know a guy who would spit heavily on his ball for downhill putts (to slow down his putts).  He was the Owner of the golf course I used to play, so I never said anything to him, but I wouldn't play him for money.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I used to know a guy who would spit heavily on his ball for downhill putts (to slow down his putts).  He was the Owner of the golf course I used to play, so I never said anything to him, but I wouldn't play him for money.

He should've just had his workers water the greens ahead of him instead, haha.

Dom's Sticks:

He should've just had his workers water the greens ahead of him instead, haha.

:beer:

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Note: This thread is 3318 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!