IGNORED

Does anyone else feel that the inside out swing is faster?

Lihu
Note: This thread is 3328 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It feels like the body swings more naturally with less resistance.

I was hitting a bunch of 7i and found that when everything came together just right the ball goes farther and higher. If I hit from the outside, the ball did not go as far and did all kinds of bad stuff. No shot from outside in "came together".

Anyone have an explanation for this, or is this observation just a "feel" thing?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well I think the extra power you're sensing is more from better launch conditions. An inside out swing tends to sweep the ball more than and outside-in move so you're naturally going to get a higher launch and less spin which we all know equals more distance.

• Upvote 1

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Is it true that a draw ball flight will roll farther after the carry, than fade roll will?

Does an in to out swing tend to promote a draw, and out to in tends to promote a fade?

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Is it true that a draw ball flight will roll farther after the carry, than fade roll will?

Does an in to out swing tend to promote a draw, and out to in tends to promote a fade?

I don't think a draw will roll more with the irons. A push draw flies just as high as pull fade if not higher. Though it would likely roll more with the driver if you play a driver with too little loft.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I don't think a draw will roll more with the irons. A push draw flies just as high as pull fade if not higher. Though it would likely roll more with the driver if you play a driver with too little loft.

I noticed this about my drives. I hit low flying bullets.

Well I think the extra power you're sensing is more from better launch conditions. An inside out swing tends to sweep the ball more than and outside-in move so you're naturally going to get a higher launch and less spin which we all know equals more distance.

Makes sense. I'm not hitting down as much on the ball and divots are shallower. I need to work more to produce this exact swing every time with every club. Thanks.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I definitely feel like my inside-out swings are faster. I think it's just because it's more efficient in terms of biomechanics. Sadly my path has leaked a little too far in OTT direction over my winter layoff. Got some good drills to fix that though, now I just need time and a range.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I definitely feel like my inside-out swings are faster. I think it's just because it's more efficient in terms of biomechanics.

Sadly my path has leaked a little too far in OTT direction over my winter layoff. Got some good drills to fix that though, now I just need time and a range.

I agree.  I think we lose speed when are bodies cause the club to go off plane.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I definitely feel like my inside-out swings are faster. I think it's just because it's more efficient in terms of biomechanics.

This is kind of the answer I was looking for.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I also tend to get a bit more distance when I'm hitting draws.  But I'm not sure I agree with this.  A bunch of the big hitters on tour play the fade with the driver, and not all of them play the open stance, inside out swing push fade a la Nicklaus.  That's not conclusive evidence, but it definitely makes the more efficient biomechanics argument seem weaker to me.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

I also tend to get a bit more distance when I'm hitting draws.  But I'm not sure I agree with this.  A bunch of the big hitters on tour play the fade with the driver, and not all of them play the open stance, inside out swing push fade a la Nicklaus.  That's not conclusive evidence, but it definitely makes the more efficient biomechanics argument seem weaker to me.

Unless, those guys are just really strong and not flexible enough to make the inside out move easily.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Unless, those guys are just really strong and not flexible enough to make the inside out move easily.

True enough.  That's why I said it's not conclusive evidence.  But while that argument might work for, say, JB Holmes, it doesn't work for Bubba.  Sure he plays with an open stance.  But he plays a pull fade with his driver relative to his target line, which should mean he's probably playing a straight-is-fade relative to his stance line, which would still mean he's not going in to out.  And I would argue the lack of flexibility argument doesn't apply so much to Bubba :-)

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

True enough.  That's why I said it's not conclusive evidence.  But while that argument might work for, say, JB Holmes, it doesn't work for Bubba.  Sure he plays with an open stance.  But he plays a pull fade with his driver relative to his target line, which should mean he's probably playing a straight-is-fade relative to his stance line, which would still mean he's not going in to out.  And I would argue the lack of flexibility argument doesn't apply so much to Bubba

That's kind of the swing I was attempting to emulate for the last 2 months. Ton's of distance, because it puts me in a position to put all my weight behind the shot. I lost lots of balls to prodigiously long slices.

I'm now on version 2.1 of my swing trying to find a swing that mixes the benefits of the "OTT whole body weight" swing and the inside out swing. I figure there will be many more iterations until I can get something I like and can finally show and get swing tips from the golfers on this site.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

A bit of a misconception that draws go a lot farther than fades. The easy answer to this is simply "who" is hitting the shot?

For many Ams that hit a weak glancing blow from OTT with open face you may perfect hitting the ball in the middle of the club face but because of the characteristics of that type of swing it will produce very short distance.

So many people transition from there to trying to hit from the "inside" which without some swing changes and understanding normally leads to hanging back a little and dropping the back shoulder straight down to get that feeling of coming from the inside leading to flipping the hands through the ball. Some people can groove that move and hit a draw but usually a big sweeping ugly snap hook comes out when their under any kind of pressure.

There's many other factors why a ball curves left or right other than how you move your back shoulder(grip, stance, path,,,,ect) but most good players on the downswing work that shoulder both down and out(as the left hip goes forward and opens) keeping it on plane to the ball. Flippy drawers/hookers tend to get that shoulder more down than out while weak slicers tend to get it more out than down creating OTT.

If your getting a more solid feel and a lot more distance out of a draw versus fade I would check how your back shoulder is moving on the downswing. For people that really drop that back shoulder the proper move may first feel like OTT but if your shoulder moves properly on plane to the ball you will be in position to pound a power fade(and just as far as a draw).

As I got older(and fatter) these past 20 years I started moving from a power fade to a draw. I don't tape my swing very often but what I found was happening as I was losing flexibility and gaining weight I was starting to swing more and more around my body making my back swing very flat and downswing too steep so I was starting to get in the habit of dropping the back shoulder and flip a little to get that draw.

Last June I said enough was enough and started hitting the gym 5 days a week. I've lost 65 pounds to date(20 to go to hit my goal), and gained back a ton of flexibility putting my shoulder plane back on track. I'm swinging like it's 1995 again and as I turn 50 this year I'm hitting the ball as far as ever with a fade or draw(modern equipment aside).

Point is for us aging swelter players, physical fitness and flexibility can play a big part in being able to get the body in a solid impact position regardless if your hitting a power fade or draw.

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

So it depends.  (I hate that answer)

For me, with the same club -

My draw I open the face a bit - to start it right

My fade I close the face a bit - to start it left

----So I'd think the more delofted face on the fade would send the ball farther

HOWEVER

I tend to overcook the outside in path on my fades (trying to tone it down) - so that lends me into worrying about bad contact so I swing easier......

So on good contact - I don't think I hit one farther than the other.  But in general, the draw flies better more often.

FWIW - I'm more comfy thinking about and hitting a draw shot with my irons.  and a fade with my driver.

IMHO - the generic (it DOESN'T 'depend') answer I'd think would be.  x-degree face, and y-degrees path, and same club and head speed........ = same path and distance.  the ball can't tell if that was from a lefty or righty.

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 3328 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!