IGNORED

2015 U.S. Open at Chambers Bay Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3224 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

"ChrisP: Like I said, that's fine if you call it ugly. But don't call it unfair or out of control where everyone's getting 10s and 11s like some are. Scores suggest otherwise."

"Chili Dipper: So... you're not planning to catch much of the Open at St. Andrews, I'm assuming."

I are you guys taking to me? It can't be, because I never said any of those things, especially the words that ChrisP pulled out of thin air. File my remarks under Satirical Comment That Goes Over Some People's Heads. Sheesh!

(Sorry, but I can't figure out how you guys pull quotes from more than one post. The Multi button doesn't do anything when I press it and I can't see what else to do)

[URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/125380/] [/URL] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/125381/] [/URL] Same place , different story.

What we can take away from that comparison is... 1: The Chambers Bay everyday golfers see is a very different course from when it's not set up to challenge the best players in the world. 2: The palette of the landscape varies with the seasons. The first picture was probably taken in the winter; fescue is a cold-weather grass. Watch the Dunhill Links Championship in November, and you'll see the Old Course and Carnoustie look that green, too.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

• Administrator
(Sorry, but I can't figure out how you guys pull quotes from more than one post. The Multi button doesn't do anything when I press it and I can't see what else to do)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

"ChrisP: Like I said, that's fine if you call it ugly. But don't call it unfair or out of control where everyone's getting 10s and 11s like some are. Scores suggest otherwise." "Chili Dipper: So... you're not planning to catch much of the Open at St. Andrews, I'm assuming." I are you guys taking to me? It can't be, because I never said any of those things, especially the words that ChrisP pulled out of thin air. File my remarks under Satirical Comment That Goes Over Some People's Heads. Sheesh! (Sorry, but I can't figure out how you guys pull quotes from more than one post. The Multi button doesn't do anything when I press it and I can't see what else to do)

After three days of people complaining about the course, [URL=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe's_law]Poe's Law[/URL] is in full effect.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

1. Click "multi" on the post(s) you wish to respond to. 2. Click "reply to thread" 3. Reply to thread.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I really don't get the "good shot gets punished" argument with this course. Its the US Open. Apart from 18 which I think is straight up gimmicky as a par 4 and a few other quirks I don't like about the course, unfair is not a good complaint.

My complaint lies with the green quality. We all can go back and forth, but where there is smoke there is fire. When you have every analyst talking about it and many top players mentioning it, on top of just watch the putts bobble....the greens are definitely in bad condition I don't care what anyone says. If you disagree, I think you are just in denial at this point.

I really have never been a big fan of links or links style courses. I guess I am boring for most. But the reason I don't like CB for the US Open is not because its "unfair". It isn't unfair. The greens quality, how it shows on tv and logistic/setup for the fans are reasons I don't think CB deserves another US Open. The geographic venue however is absolutely awesome.

Side Note: Has Bandon Dunes ever been brought up for a major? Or is it not hard/nice enough?

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

"ChrisP: Like I said, that's fine if you call it ugly. But don't call it unfair or out of control where everyone's getting 10s and 11s like some are. Scores suggest otherwise." "Chili Dipper: So... you're not planning to catch much of the Open at St. Andrews, I'm assuming." I are you guys taking to me? It can't be, because I never said any of those things, especially the words that ChrisP pulled out of thin air. File my remarks under Satirical Comment That Goes Over Some People's Heads. Sheesh! (Sorry, but I can't figure out how you guys pull quotes from more than one post. The Multi button doesn't do anything when I press it and I can't see what else to do)

No wasn't talking about you. Talking about the poster who said if you enjoy this course, you enjoy seeing guys getting 11s and 12s, equating to it being too hard and unfair. My point was simply if this course was so difficult and unfair, why are there good scores being shot. I don't care if people complain about the greens and its appearance. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. But the course is fair and scores are proving that to be the case.

Regardless of one's opinion on the course layout, the putting surfaces are horrible, especially in the late groups.

I don't like putting bumpy greens. I don't especially like watching the  pros putt bumpy greens either. I'd much rather watch them putt lightning fast perfect surfaces.

Hoping for a winning 66 from DJ today to win me the Callaway clubs. :-)   They better make the setup easy.

I need him to shoot 73 and win for me to win the Callaway clubs. But a DJ win by any score will win me a couple R15's. Let's go DJ. Hopefully Wayne gave him a long sports psychology pep talk last night.

I will come in on the side that doesn't like the golf course.  Don't like the par4/par5 thing, don't like the radically different tee boxes, seen a lot of short putts staying out of the hole, seen plenty of shots that really should have stayed on the green not stay there.  Some of those approach shots look more like pinball than golf.  It reminds me of some kind of Las Vegas replication course crossed with something from a video game.  It seems to play much tougher in the afternoons.  I really don't like the layout for fans. I'd say it's fair because everybody is playing the same course - but I personally don't feel like it rewards the kind of play I would like to see in a US Open.  It rewards the long hitters a little too much and it's just not the *style* of course I imagine a US Open being played on.  You can kind of tell something's not right here because the course is getting as much attention as the play.  Anyway - I can't wait to watch the conclusion today and I hope they find a better spot on the West Coast for future US Opens.

http://gsr.lib.msu.edu/2000s/2009/091120.pdf
A good read if anyone is interested in reading on fine-fescue grass and how it is a grass with very low maintenance costs.

It doesn't mention much about being able to keep greens of fescue rolling smooth, but I can venture a guess that it would be tough for them to be smooth.  The grass you're using here is slow growing, thin blades, and not dense.  So yes that would mean slightly bumpy but predictable rolls.  And in the end, all players are playing the same course.   If you don't like it, don't play in the US Open.

(edit): I want to add that IMO, what this course seems to do really well, is weed out those who actually show some amount of course management.  You cant just hit the ball well at the middle of the green and expect to play well.  Every shot has to be placed in a certain way.  As many shots have shown, if you play the mounds correctly, the ball will reward you with a short putt.  It's a major with a ton of head game that has to be at your best.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

No wasn't talking about you. Talking about the poster who said if you enjoy this course, you enjoy seeing guys getting 11s and 12s, equating to it being too hard and unfair. My point was simply if this course was so difficult and unfair, why are there good scores being shot. I don't care if people complain about the greens and its appearance. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. But the course is fair and scores are proving that to be the case.

You read his post incorrectly. He wasn't talking about the pros making 10 or 11 (which DID happen today). He was discussing playing the course himself. One poster said, "it looks like a fun course to play". He replied, "yeah, if you like making 10's and 11's". He was talking about himself. Not the pros.

Looks like they set it up to make for a exciting finish. Heading to the range for a xouple hrs then back in time to watch...should be awesome.

I really like the way this course looks, and I'm sure it's a lot of fun to play!

[quote name="32quattro" url="/t/81357/2015-u-s-open-at-chambers-bay-discussion-thread/1290#post_1158108"] You must enjoy scoring 10 or 11 each hole [/quote] [quote name="ChrisP" url="/t/81357/2015-u-s-open-at-chambers-bay-discussion-thread/1320#post_1158209"] No wasn't talking about you. Talking about the poster who said if you enjoy this course, you enjoy seeing guys getting 11s and 12s, equating to it being too hard and unfair. My point was simply if this course was so difficult and unfair, why are there good scores being shot. I don't care if people complain about the greens and its appearance. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. But the course is fair and scores are proving that to be the case.[/quote] As you can see, you completely misunderstood what he meant.

I need him to shoot 73 and win for me to win the Callaway clubs. But a DJ win by any score will win me a couple R15's. Let's go DJ. Hopefully Wayne gave him a long sports psychology pep talk last night.

I need Luiten to win, for me to win the clubs as well :-D Ah well, dreaming is fun.

~Jorrit

Note: This thread is 3224 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!