IGNORED

How many different clubs do you use around the greens?

tmac20
Note: This thread is 3295 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How many different clubs do you use around the greens (putter excluded)?

• 5 or more

My 58 gets about 90 percent of the use. I use a 50 when I need to attempt a long bunker shot or need to flight the pitch low for some reason. I never use my 54 except when my full swing distance requires it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If I can putt it, I putt it.  If I can't putt it, I chip it.  If I can't chip it, I pitch it.

Those clubs tend to be the putter (of course), a nine iron, and a 60 degree.  If it's a particularly long pitch and I have green to work with, I'll often hit the 56 degree, since it's hard to make a long pitch with a 60.

In western PA, you have a lot of hills and elevated, sloping greens, so you actually don't get to chip/bump n run the ball much.  So being adept with a 60, and being able to open the face a bit when needed, is an important skill to giving yourself good chances at up and downs.  When I play in Myrtle (which is often), I get to bump and run a lot more.

EDIT--Also, on particularly long bump and run, I sometimes use an 8 iron.

"Witty golf quote."

I'll use my 51*-7i to chip depending on carry and pin distance.  I will use my 2h or 3h to chip if I'm on the fringe or just next to it in some tightly mown 1st cut - sometimes putter if it's only just on the fringe.  51* for most pitch shots unless I need more carry then I'll open up my 56* and send her high.  So that's 7 clubs (+putter)... been doing that for 3 seasons now.  Short game has come a long way since using just the most lofted wedge!

Even par through 9 is my best.  I don't even want to think about what was my worst.

I have 3 answers - 2, 5, or 14 depending on the intent of the question:

mostly - 2 clubs -

----------9i for chipping, SW for pitching - caviat below

5 clubs

• (I chip with my 9i mostly, but other clubs can be warranted for other chip results.  I pitch with my SW (56/12), but other clubs also warranted depending on the shot).  I tend to train on chipping with 9I through LW - I have a really firm idea of roll distance as a function of carry for each club, and sometimes you have to carry to the right spot versus just making the 9i work.
  • I tend to train pitching and short bunker shots with SW and LW only.   Obvious reasons of carry needs or obstacles - especially from the sand
  • 9i, PW, AW, SW, LW.

14 clubs - However, I've used every single club in the bag near the green except for the driver I'm sure)

Therefore, I reserve the right to use any of the 14 clubs I have in the bag for whatever shot my imagination asks me to hit.

I'd also include the ball retriever and my umbrella - just in case

and the flag, if necessary

Bill - 

50% - 50 degree

40% - 56 degree

10% - 60 degree

Up until mid way through the middle of last season, I used the 56 for almost everything except for instances when I needed a lot of loft (which I would use the 60 for). When I dropped my matching set gap wedge for a traditional style wedge, I started experimenting with it more around the greens. Now, it's a pretty even mix between the 50 and 56, with a slight nod to the 50. Once I got used to the angle and rollout, I really started to prefer it in situations where I had a decent amount of green to work with.

I've used every club except the driver at one time or the other.  In a normal round it's normally all of my wedges and maybe a 9 or 8 for a long running shot.  but I use my hybrids if necessary.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I voted 5+........  I get the ball rolling as much as possible. It's not like I carry 5 clubs to each green whenever I miss one.   I can judge pretty well what shot is needed before I get to my ball and I always choose 2 clubs for the chip or pitch.  I've never had the need to chip with anything more than a 9-iron.   TV talking heads often talk about chipping with mid-irons, but I've found that I can easily get a 9-iron into a roll quickly and judge the roll-out accurately even on the long chip-runs.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I voted 3

The overwhelming majority of my chips and pitches are with my 50* GW and my 58* LW depending on how much roll i want.  The 3rd club is my 4 iron which only comes out if i am off the green and i need to go under branches

What's in the bag:
Taylormade R15 
Callaway X2Hot pro 3W
Callaway X2Hot pro 20* hybrid
Mizuno JPX900 Tour 4-PW
Cleveland RTX 2.0 50,54, and 58 degree wedges
Taylormade White Smoke putter

i honestly try to keep it simple and just use 2, either my 56 wedge or my 60 wedge... that way i am not guessing on how far the ball will roll out... and i did vote for 2

It is what it is

Yes I am in the 2 club crowd. 56 degree and 8 iron for putt chipping. Interesting poll.

So I played 18 - and it was pretty typical.

9i for chipping

SW (56/12) for pitching

I replaced the 9i with the PW a couple times when I needed a little more loft or had less room for rollout and preferred to still land on the green rather than bump it short (twice) - and when I need a little more loft (once though usually happens every round) due to an elevated shot that still didn't require a pitch just yet.

It would be simpler if I could just hit the stupid greens more.  Then it would be really simple as pitches and chips would be from a real approach shot and more strategic rather than just a need to get up and down for par.

I'm officially voting for 3.  2 in principle, but 3 for a practical purposes.  Even if I've used nearly every club for the "it depends" type of answer.

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 3295 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!