IGNORED

ESPN anchor rant on golf telecasts - probably echoes what most of us have been thinking

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3295 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think a TV telecast should be all about the leaderboard, but I agree that they show too much putting. I'm watching a guy putt a ten footer on a tough golf hole, how the hell did he get it there? I thought they did a great job of that at Hilton Head last weekend. could it be because it is such an interesting golf course and all shots had a premium? I don't know, but they don't do it well enough every week. I am curious to see how Fox approaches it.

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Speaking of too much putting, I get tired of breaking into the leaders (at -14) to show a guy who's at +5 standing over a long putt. You know darn well the guy is going to sink it, but here's Koch: "Here's so and so on the 17th. Nobody's hit a putt from there all day. Wait a minute- it's got good speed. It's looking pretty good. It's better than most. Is it going to goooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnn? YES!". When all along you know he's already seen the putt drop.

i would like to see a lot more shots and less putting.

I would prefer to see a lot more shot putting.  Also javelin.  It's annoying how they always focus on just the sprinters during the Olympics.

Wait, what are we talking about?

I agree about there over coverage of putting.  If it's a great putt, show us, if it's a 2 foot tap in, who cares?  I don't think the networks understand that a ball rolling into a hole isn't the same as a TD or goal, we don't need to see every hole out unless it was extraordinary.

Shot tracer is cool, but overall I'd like to see the networks adopt the approach used when by the Masters, where multiple viewing options are available.  I like watching the groups play so I can see every shot they take and the course management they employ.

The kind of sad thing is that back in the day the Masters was the innovator in putting golf on TV.  But now they deemed to have adopted a bit of a Luddite posture on some things.  No tracer, no shotlink.  These are things that back in the day we might have expected to be introduced by the Masters to TV, yet now they lag behind.

They forget that part of the Masters tradition is innovation in how the event is held AND how it is broadcast.

On a separate issue, am I the only one who would like to see them use shot-tracer on some of the putts we see on the Augusta National greens?

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

The kind of sad thing is that back in the day the Masters was the innovator in putting golf on TV.  But now they deemed to have adopted a bit of a Luddite posture on some things.  No tracer, no shotlink.  These are things that back in the day we might have expected to be introduced by the Masters to TV, yet now they lag behind.

They forget that part of the Masters tradition is innovation in how the event is held AND how it is broadcast.

On a separate issue, am I the only one who would like to see them use shot-tracer on some of the putts we see on the Augusta National greens?

It'd be like if Augusta refused to switch to HD. "I remember when it was a big deal that it was on TV at all, and now we're being criticized for being Luddites!" It's just an expectation of keeping up with the times and evolving consumer preferences. No one's yelling at them for substantive things like "Hey, stop making the caddies wear those goofy coveralls!" We're just asking that they provide a level of coverage commensurate to interest in it and levels of coverage in comparable and lesser tournaments. There's no downside to them; it's just bizarre at this point. It can't be a cost thing; ESPN and CBS would trip over themselves to pay for more hours to air. The aura thing seems to have been debunked. It just comes off as a weird stubbornness.

Can they do what they want? Yes.

Does what they do make sense? With respect to the limited coverage windows, no.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Could also be oversight.

Sure, Augusta National has a famous reputation for playing really fast and loose with details and not micromanaging things, haha

• Upvote 1

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I agree w/most of John Buccigross's points, wanted to see Woods' Saturday Masters round, not telecasted. Shot tracer, every hole, not sure if that's economically and logistically feasible, and maybe it might deter networks from finding better ways to show the entire ball flight without visual aids. Too much putting - dear God yes. Too many leaderboards. I'd pay, but I'd want fewer commercials. And of course, all 18 holes of leaders.

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2015/04/19/sports-media-panel-adam-schefter-joe-buck-britt-mchenry-espn

Agree. Full shots are more athletic and therefore interesting to watch. Drive plus approach also indicate course strategy, which is interesting esp. if a player takes a non-standard line. Much of the commentary about how to play holes has been instructive to a high handicap like me even if it isn't always spot on correct. Plus the approach (set up by the tee shot) is usually what determines their putting chances anyway. Recovery & short shots more interesting than putting too.

I wholeheartedly agree with him, I felt that there was way too much putting televised. I watch the masters every year, this year I felt there was a little more putting and less iron and tee shots than in the past.

As far as his other points...I think that will come eventually, it might be considered intrusisive initially. Having launch monitor type data or shot tracer in every shot or player in every hole. It will come though.

Today I would like to have all caddies miked up, by having them miked up you'll also hear player caddy discussions prior to the shot. It would not be difficult to implement.

Agree on putting. Players may not like a constant mike due to the desire to swear on occasion - see Fehert's Ernie Els story.

The anchor just sounds ignorant to the game and like a 'casusal fan' who will stop watching golf entirely when Tiger hangs it up. He lost me at complaining about too much putting being shown. Seriously, I don't know if this guy knows how golf broadcasts work. They try to show shots/strokes that are relevant to the leaders and typically putts are pretty damn important to the outcomes.

I would like to see more shot tracer though and I can live without the swing analysis stuff.

Good point, but I would counter with @newtogolf 's point bolded in the last box below and restate that the approach (or short game shot) is responsible for the initial putt position, which has a huge effect on chances to sink it.

1 - shot tracer - like it a lot

--- (ditto when they show the putting line graphic - much more than some announcer stating his impression of the line)

2 - swing technique commentary - don't like it one bit - and they say some dumb stuff sometimes anyway

3 - microphones pointed at the players and caddies - like it a lot

4 - too much putting - agree - especially if they start using shot tracer a lot more

I like the graphics of how the Euro tour shows a hole and shot layout

I like how the Euro tour doesn't have to be talking ALL THE TIME - I'd prefer to hear the players and caddies talk the shots through

I'd rather follow the leaders on each shot through a round, and cutting to exceptional shots by other players when they happen

I'd like the distance to the hole and etc to stay on the screen longer when setting up to view a shot.  Would be nice to know what club is being hit, etc.  Makes it easier to relate.

Agree.

I agree about there over coverage of putting.  If it's a great putt, show us, if it's a 2 foot tap in, who cares?  I don't think the networks understand that a ball rolling into a hole isn't the same as a TD or goal, we don't need to see every hole out unless it was extraordinary.

Shot tracer is cool, but overall I'd like to see the networks adopt the approach used when by the Masters, where multiple viewing options are available.  I like watching the groups play so I can see every shot they take and the course management they employ.

Great post. Agree with everything. The shot that led to the 2-foot tap in is so much more important and interesting. Maybe one nod to @skydog 's quote is that some short or mid-short putts have some extra 'drama' due to leader positions (more so later in tournaments). Maybe the future of networks in the digital age is customized streams (if they have the cameras / staff to cover it all - or at least some more).

Kevin

I also agree about the putting.

Another thing I would add is that we don't need to see everyone finish out on 18.  They do this primarily at the majors.  Oh, the 12th ranked player in the world who finished top 5 at this major last year holes out his four footer for par to finish T-25.  And then let's watch him take off his hat to see his white ass forehead and shake the opposing caddy's hand.  Who gives a shit?

"Witty golf quote."

The kind of sad thing is that back in the day the Masters was the innovator in putting golf on TV.  But now they deemed to have adopted a bit of a Luddite posture on some things.  No tracer, no shotlink.  These are things that back in the day we might have expected to be introduced by the Masters to TV, yet now they lag behind.]

They're ahead of the game on internet coverage. I don't think many of the other major sports can match what they've done as far as added coverage. I think I watched as many hours on internet stream for the 4 days as I did CBS and ESPN coverage. I had the site on as long as they had coverage.  Got to give them props for that.

They're ahead of the game on internet coverage. I don't think many of the other major sports can match what they've done as far as added coverage. I think I watched as many hours on internet stream for the 4 days as I did CBS and ESPN coverage. I had the site on as long as they had coverage.  Got to give them props for that.

You can watch every second of every other major sport online. You can watch every second of NBC-produced golf tournaments (so Golf Channel and NBC) online, including the alternate specific coverage for events they do it on (#16 at Phoenix, #17 at The PLAYERS, etc). The PGA Championship also does featured groups online (I never watched the US or British online because, again, they air in nearly their entirety on TV). And, again, all of their featured group coverage bizarrely started when the players were around Amen Corner, so you missed most of the players' front 9s. What The Masters did for online coverage was fine, but it's nothing particularly impressive.

Dom's Sticks:

They show the putts because thats where the scoring is...

A great drive does not equal a birdie.  A holed putt does.  Or a missed par putt means more than a pulled iron that lands 10 feet off the green.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Silly conversation guys -

Every shot counts as one each - drives, layups, approaches, putts, chips, pitches - Even the shots that go in the hole count as just one more.

(I guess an argument can be made that shots that generate additional penalty strokes count more than regular shots.....but I consider those one shot also, and the penalties as added on....  Thus an OB drive is 1 shot, and one added point, rather than OB being 2 shots net....silly semantics)

Bill - 

Silly conversation guys -

Every shot counts as one each - drives, layups, approaches, putts, chips, pitches - Even the shots that go in the hole count as just one more.

(I guess an argument can be made that shots that generate additional penalty strokes count more than regular shots.....but I consider those one shot also, and the penalties as added on....  Thus an OB drive is 1 shot, and one added point, rather than OB being 2 shots net....silly semantics)

Yes, every shot counts as one...

But the TV impact of each shot is not equal.  Seeing a birdie being made is more important than a drive down the middle of the fairway.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Yes, every shot counts as one...

But the TV impact of each shot is not equal.  Seeing a birdie being made is more important than a drive down the middle of the fairway.

that's subjective, just opinion - considers Bubba's approach shot at the Masters previously.  Likely more impact and more important than any putt.

I'll concede the last putt on hole 18 is big as it indicates the final score.  But that's just for score tallying.  Some putt on hole 12 mid way through the day?  meh

IMHO.  whatever shot SET UP that birdie (including a beautiful long putt, or the great drive, or that precise approach shot) - that's the one I want to see.  Some tap in?  meh

I respect you might feel differently, I ask for the same.

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 3295 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!