IGNORED

When do you start playing blues?

Note: This thread is 3251 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

doing some rough analysis, it appears that half of the par 4's on Blue / Champ tees are averaging 415. This means that a Minimum of a 250 drive is required in order to have real GIR Approach shot. You can still make an up and down chip, but I agree with the Tee-it-forward, a 250 drive is the key to moving to the Champ tees (6200-6400)

Some courses give recommendations based on your handicap. Whites are my max on most normal courses. If the game is going to give me some extra yards on the drive, then I am taking them. ;-) Add in to the fact, that I am not a long hitter, and can not break 90'ish from the whites, for me personally, so no reason to move back. ( I learned the minor pentatonic scale in my teens)

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't know about who uses what colors.  I go by course length and pick tees good for me and whatever mood I'm in that day.  A clean drive for me is right at 240 carrying, 270 total typical.

I feel I typically get a good variety of reasonable approach shots if I play total course lengths around 6500.  Usually I get chance for longer options on the Par 5s for long approaches - or at least the chance to choose if I want.

I try to avoid over 7K if possible unless I am wanting to practice a lot more longerish irons and hybrids for the round.

However, I just had a GREAT time playing a course where the longest tees were just over 6000.  It was tight and challenging and I teed off more on this round with something OTHER than my driver than usual.

a guy can always play whatever he feels like - it doesn't have to always be Driver - wedge.  and it's good experience to play it shorter likely even more than playing longer.

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

It all comes down to how long and straight you average off the tee, and the course length, but I would say generally-

<200-230 yds- these people should be playing the forward tees
230-260-  whites
270+- tips

The bottom line is making GIR reachable, if you're not getting many, or any, you should tee it forward, if you get a lot it may be time to challenge yourself and move back.

It all comes down to how long and straight you average off the tee, and the course length, but I would say generally-

<200-230 yds- these people should be playing the forward tees

230-260-  whites

270+- tips

The bottom line is making GIR reachable, if you're not getting many, or any, you should tee it forward, if you get a lot it may be time to challenge yourself and move back.

Define forward tees? Define white tees? Define tips?

I've played courses where the blue tees are 6200 yards, and others where the blue tees are 7300 yards.

Color of tees do not matter, the course yardage does.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I typically play what I call the "one-ups", generally they're blue. Yesterday we played a par 70 from the whites cuz the group are older gents. Was only 5700 yards, 67.5/124. I lit it up pretty well (77), which was great for confidence but did not help my hcap really at all and because of that I didn't get a great sense of satisfaction out of it. I never hit anything more than a 5i approach and I'm not very long off the tee. Anyway, 2 reasons I posted that: 1. To brag a little. 2. To illustrate that you should play the tees that give you the most satisfaction, whatever that means to you. Could be being able to use all clubs in your bag, could be the most challenging slope/rating, could be driving a few greens. Do what makes you happy, while keeping in mind those behind you.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

The mens club that I am a member of play there events from the regular men's tees.  So that Is where I play from.  But I usually look at yardages on the card to determine what tee's to play from.

I CAN hit driver out to around 270 ish total distance.  My average is probably more around 240 and I hit some shorter then that.  I am most comfortable in the 6300-6700 range.

I don't know about who uses what colors.  I go by course length and pick tees good for me and whatever mood I'm in that day.  A clean drive for me is right at 240 carrying, 270 total typical.

I feel I typically get a good variety of reasonable approach shots if I play total course lengths around 6500.  Usually I get chance for longer options on the Par 5s for long approaches - or at least the chance to choose if I want.

I try to avoid over 7K if possible unless I am wanting to practice a lot more longerish irons and hybrids for the round.

However, I just had a GREAT time playing a course where the longest tees were just over 6000.  It was tight and challenging and I teed off more on this round with something OTHER than my driver than usual.

a guy can always play whatever he feels like - it doesn't have to always be Driver - wedge.  and it's good experience to play it shorter likely even more than playing longer.

Ditto.

If your average approach is a PW to 6i, that's pretty comfortable. If you can use driver-iron-iron on all the par 5 then even better.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I tend to use the club distance formulas to pick the appropriate length/tees.  But in the end the courses all have a very good way of telling me if I am playing the correct tee:

Are the fairway bunkers in play for you?

If they seem to be picking on you, your in the right place.  If you don't have too much trouble clearing them with your drives, then it's time to move back.

Randal

Some courses recommend which tee to use based on handicap. Chambers Bay has a driver distance/ tee chart. 225-250 white. 250-275 sandstone tees. (Grey) Here's a question.... Why move back to the blues if you haven't shot par from the whites on that course?

Some courses recommend which tee to use based on handicap. Chambers Bay has a driver distance/ tee chart. 225-250 white. 250-275 sandstone tees. (Grey) Here's a question.... Why move back to the blues if you haven't shot par from the whites on that course?

Assuming that you don't make a lot of regulation bogey and doubles. :-P

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I can certainly understand your line of reasoning here, but I don't think tee box choice=whether or not you are a scratch golfer. I play the blues exclusively. Two reasons: handicap is based of the blues and the extra distance isn't a big deal for me. Playing whites is fine from time to time. Naturally, playing the whites causes me to hit more wedges than longer irons. Yet, golf isn't just about what club you use on your second shot. It is about all facets including putting and chipping. Even if you move up and hit more wedges, it doesn't change the fact you still have to hit greens and make putts.

I mostly play blues, but I will play whatever the majority of the group plays. Distance off the tee is never my problem, so my score wouldn't change much from blue to white. The only big difference is you get some long par 3s. All my strokes happen around the gereens anyway.

How is your handicap based off of the blue tees? When I post a score, it asks me what tees I played from and is adjusted accordingly.

Since he hits longer distances, he gets the benefit of the higher CR/slope ratings provided that the course is not really narrow too.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I started playing from the tips about a year or so ago just to see what it was like. I was surprised to see that I could do it. At first, pars felt really great to make and blow up holes didn't seem so grating because, hey, I'm playing the tips. I first moved back on a very slow day on the course, and I was by myself. Definitely a good situation to try it out.

A year later, I enjoy playing from deep… say 7000-7100 yards. It's doable and a really fun time. Plus, now 6500 feels really, really short, and that's a very nice thing.

Give it a try when it isn't crowded and see how it goes. The fairways are easier to hit from back there, but otherwise, it's harder.

Constantine

Note: This thread is 3251 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!