IGNORED

2016 Ryder Cup Discussion Thread

dunfy3
Note: This thread is 2754 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Way too many things working against Bubba for him to be picked IMO...

1.) The rest of the team doesn't like him

2.) As much as he fancies himself to be a Happy Gilmore type guy that likes a raucous environment, the fact of the matter is that he typically plays extra nervous/fidgety/poorly in more raucous  environments. There's a reason he does well within the very controlled confines of Augusta. Have a fan get too close to his ball or a drunk patron pat him on the back after a shot and it's all over for him.

3.) He isn't playing well. He hasn't logged a top 10 performance since March.

4 minutes ago, skydog said:

2.) As much as he fancies himself to be a Happy Gilmore type guy that likes a raucous environment, the fact of the matter is that he typically plays extra nervous/fidgety/poorly in more raucous  environments. There's a reason he does well within the very controlled confines of Augusta. Have a fan get too close to his ball or a drunk patron pat him on the back after a shot and it's all over for him.

Good points, except that some members of the team get along with him fine or are mellow enough to ignore the quirks in the team room. Possibly the minority, though. On the course in match play, Bubba's occasional tendency to lose it / whine / get fussy could be a distraction for a playing partner and/or the team. I think a U.S.-friendly side would be better for Bubba's ticks surely, but it's worth pointing out that he didn't implode last time in Scotland.

It could be that Bubba is exercising an 'open invitation' to all potentially eligible guys to participate in group practices / meetings used for testing out pairings? Could have even gone to make a personal appeal to the team. But if that wasn't okayed by DL III not a smart move as it will only invite more attention to the non-pick. If he's left out in the cold, he should just take it quietly for the team.

As a potential pick for the future, Berger seems pretty solid, though he only has one year under his belt. He has a more balanced game than Bubba in terms of which holes he scores on, which may help with potential foursomes pairings. If Bubba's mid & short putting comes alive in Atlanta, I could still see them taking him.

Kevin

1 hour ago, skydog said:

He's weird, he does well in raucous environments like Waste Management, he seems to feed off the crowd in that tournament.  He doesn't do well is in regular tournaments when the crowd gets a little out of control and distracts him or he's not playing well.  

He also hurt himself with fans and peers when he refused to participate in the longest drive competition for charity during a practice round.  I was pretty disappointed with how he conducted himself in that situation.  

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, newtogolf said:

He's weird, he does well in raucous environments like Waste Management, he seems to feed off the crowd in that tournament.  He doesn't do well is in regular tournaments when the crowd gets a little out of control and distracts him or he's not playing well.  

He also hurt himself with fans and peers when he refused to participate in the longest drive competition for charity during a practice round.  I was pretty disappointed with how he conducted himself in that situation.  

Agreed, that was kinda lame. Everyone else seemed to get on board for the show for the fans. He's a bit of a diva. Extremely talented golfer, though. I enjoy watching him play, but not a huge fan cuz of the other stuff. Tweaking Keegan about his stutter step approach (could have just been smack talk between them) and injecting himself into Speith's interview in Bahamas event were not endearing moves. I do like the way he donated to support flood recovery at Greenbriar, though.

I think his success may be more course-related than strictly fan related. He does not seem to do well with U.S. Open style rough. He's just wide too often and the thick stuff is a severe penalty offsetting his usually gaining drives that hit the fairway. So for Ryder Cup depends how they set up Hazeltine. From what I see, his biggest liability in play is putting. Lags it well, but does not seem to make above average rate of birdies except on par 5's, despite his very strong driving and approach play. That makes me thing mid to short range putting is weak and it's borne out by his ~-.2 SG. Now .2 strokes per round is not a ton, but it's an indication of where his average performance this year lies so he could be a bit above or below it. That hurts his potential contribution in both fourball and foursomes, IMO.

Kevin

8 hours ago, natureboy said:

Agreed, that was kinda lame. Everyone else seemed to get on board for the show for the fans. He's a bit of a diva. Extremely talented golfer, though. I enjoy watching him play, but not a huge fan cuz of the other stuff. Tweaking Keegan about his stutter step approach (could have just been smack talk between them) and injecting himself into Speith's interview in Bahamas event were not endearing moves. I do like the way he donated to support flood recovery at Greenbriar, though.

I think his success may be more course-related than strictly fan related. He does not seem to do well with U.S. Open style rough. He's just wide too often and the thick stuff is a severe penalty offsetting his usually gaining drives that hit the fairway. So for Ryder Cup depends how they set up Hazeltine. From what I see, his biggest liability in play is putting. Lags it well, but does not seem to make above average rate of birdies except on par 5's, despite his very strong driving and approach play. That makes me thing mid to short range putting is weak and it's borne out by his ~-.2 SG. Now .2 strokes per round is not a ton, but it's an indication of where his average performance this year lies so he could be a bit above or below it. That hurts his potential contribution in both fourball and foursomes, IMO.

I'm sure these guys like to have fun, drink a bit and some of the younger guys might have some golf groupies hanging around so if Bubba is as religious as he claims and seems to be, he could put a damper on the festivities.  

Joe Paradiso

On 9/17/2016 at 9:18 AM, newtogolf said:

I'm sure these guys like to have fun, drink a bit and some of the younger guys might have some golf groupies hanging around so if Bubba is as religious as he claims and seems to be, he could put a damper on the festivities.  

Sneds is pretty religious too, IIRC. I'm sure they have big enough hotel suites to take the party out of the common areas.

Kevin

12 hours ago, natureboy said:

Sneds is pretty religious too, IIRC. I'm sure they have big enough hotel suites to take the party out of the common areas.

Agreed but you know what it's like when "that guy" is around, watching and showing disapproval at what is going on or even worse trying to preach their religion.  

Joe Paradiso

2 hours ago, newtogolf said:

Agreed but you know what it's like when "that guy" is around, watching and showing disapproval at what is going on or even worse trying to preach their religion.  

It would be easy enough for the Captain to declare the event a 'no proselytizing zone', yes? Also respect for a teammate's different POV cuts both ways. They do sleep in private rooms, not a barracks.

What do you think is even going on during the event? I've heard a lot about ping pong. Are you saying that's just a euphemism for some sort of debauchery? If you're talking about telling dirty jokes and swearing, that would just be expected locker room behavior and if someone can't at least brush it off as NBD, why would they want to be on the team anyway?

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

Well - I just got a ticket for Thursday practice (and captains scramble, opening ceremony),

first time at any event, should be fun.  Have no idea how to stage my day.

Bill - 

So what is up with the Ole Ole Ole chant that the Euro's do at Ryder Cup events. I've seen that this is a Spanish thing, a hockey thing, a soccer thing, but somehow they've made it their Ryder Cup thing. Someone just walked down the hall at work whistling it, and it got me wondering.

- Shane

11 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

So what is up with the Ole Ole Ole chant that the Euro's do at Ryder Cup events. I've seen that this is a Spanish thing, a hockey thing, a soccer thing, but somehow they've made it their Ryder Cup thing. Someone just walked down the hall at work whistling it, and it got me wondering.

Probably started with Spanish fans carrying it over from football (soccer) matches when Seve was captain in '97, then echoed by Irish fans at the K Club and becoming a thing. For the most part bleed-in from soccer it seems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olé,_Olé,_Olé

Kevin

On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 9:53 AM, rehmwa said:

Well - I just got a ticket for Thursday practice (and captains scramble, opening ceremony),

first time at any event, should be fun.  Have no idea how to stage my day.

Wow, that's pretty cool.  Been to a few PGA events and a Wed pro-am but I'd be with you, no idea how to see as much as possible.  Have a blast!

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Kevin Chappell (19th in final U.S. points standings) is tied for the lead at the Tour Championship, and Ryan Moore (20th) is two strokes behind. Assuming Bubba Watson will be left off the roster, is there a potential "win and in" scenario in play for either of those guys tomorrow?

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

45 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

Kevin Chappell (19th in final U.S. points standings) is tied for the lead at the Tour Championship, and Ryan Moore (20th) is two strokes behind. Assuming Bubba Watson will be left off the roster, is there a potential "win and in" scenario in play for either of those guys tomorrow?

I liked Chappell as a possible pick early in the playoffs. He's a solid ballstriker with good length and the original 8 were a little thin there. If his putting has come alive during the playoffs (he's 'found' something) and his birdie average has bumped up then he would be a solid pick IMO. I think he'd be more of a contributor in fourball than foursomes with relatively weaker putting / short game than guys already on the team.

Berger seems to have the most balanced game of the remaining pick options. McGirt and Woodland wouldn't be bad picks either. Justin Thomas may be a good 'chemistry' pick, but his stats for the year seem like he's got a very 'hit or miss' style of game. Maybe he was saving it for the end of the season, though? Moore would be an okay pick, but I expect he's a little short for Hazeltine (ballstriking is not his strength) and the squad already has Sneds and Zach. Duf wouldn't be a bad pick either if his game is on form and his putting has warmed up a bit.

Kevin

Better hear Ryan Moore or Chappel.  If not...that shit is rigged.  #MAGA

• Upvote 1

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Arnold Palmer's passing (and corresponding in memoriam montage) threw off the planned announcement of the remaining U.S. captain's pick, but it is Ryan Moore, as it should be after today's performance.

• Upvote 1

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

35 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

Arnold Palmer's passing (and corresponding in memoriam montage) threw off the planned announcement of the remaining U.S. captain's pick, but it is Ryan Moore, as it should be after today's performance.

Moore proved he is capable in his match play against McIlroy.  He may have lost and doesn't have the length, but he made Rory make the putt to beat him.

Unfortunately Chappell couldn't handle the pressure, I feel bad for him, but he lost his stroke when it counted.

John

Note: This thread is 2754 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!