IGNORED

What is your opinion on ride along fees?

trackster
Note: This thread is 3222 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Who wants to watch their signifigant other suck at golf?  If you want to enjoy time on the golf course with your SO, thats great.  Get a set of clubs and play yourself, dont just sit there like a bored housewife who has nothing better to do.

Sorry but I think if you cant think of anything better to do together than to watch your husband play golf, perhaps you need to find something more constructive to do with your life.

Maybe Im just totally being a hater but it just seems so lame to me.

Completely being a hater.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Who wants to watch their signifigant other suck at golf?  If you want to enjoy time on the golf course with your SO, thats great.  Get a set of clubs and play yourself, dont just sit there like a bored housewife who has nothing better to do.

Sorry but I think if you cant think of anything better to do together than to watch your husband play golf, perhaps you need to find something more constructive to do with your life.

They're not there to watch golf.  They're there to share the outdoors, golf course views, time, and maybe a few drinks with the person they love.

My wife doesn't play golf.  She owns a set of clubs, but I can count every swing she's made with them since we got married.  She has accompanied me on the course a dozen or so times.  About half of those times occurred when we were on vacation in some beautiful location.  I wanted to play golf, but we wanted to be together, so she came along.  She came for the views, company, fresh air, and a few cocktails.  The other half were when we lived in Virginia and had a membership to a nice club on a resort property.  We'd go to the club in the morning and go for a run, then play tennis for an hour. Then we'd change clothes and have lunch in the clubhouse.  Then she'd ride along with me for 18 holes, followed by happy hour in the clubhouse.  Those were good days.  I miss them now that we have babies.

If that seems "lame" to you, then I'm guessing you have a different relationship with your spouse than I do.  Again, she's not watching the US Open--it's not about the golf.  Just out of curiosity, do you also think it's "lame" to enjoy watching your kids suck at soccer or little-league baseball?

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Heaven forbid that a wife and husband might actually enjoy spending time together?!?!?!

My observation has been that it's typically new wife or girlfriend who come to watch their loved one play golf, suck or not.  My wife plays golf with me all the time but won't come along to watch me play anything (golf, soccer, or any other sport event I am competing).    We have been married too long for that.     For those in love, I don't think they mind forking over a few dollars to ride to be alongside of her loved one for 4 - 5 hours.   Most of them bring their smartphone or book to kill time.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Maybe Im just totally being a hater

I'm have a few other words in mind, but, yeah, basically.

My wife has tagged along with me on 3 occasions without playing.  She is a beginning golfer and is horrible so she refuses to pay a lot of money to play, so twice while on vacation in Hawaii a few years ago, she hung out with me while I played, and once last year in Palm Springs.

Do you also think it's "lame" for a husband and wife to enjoy a walk or bike ride or Sunday drive together?  If so, then I don't know what to tell you.  If not, then consider that this is no different, except one of them pauses to whack a little white ball every couple of minutes.

And to keep on topic, PS definitely did not charge us a rider fee, although they do have a posted fee, they were just nice about it.  And Hawaii, IIRC, did charge a rider fee of like $25 or something, I want to say.  I expected it, and paid it, with no complaints.

My wife thinks I am absolute stud when I hit a drive TWO HUNDRED AND TWENTY FIVE YARDS!!!!!! Then she looks at me with wide eyes and open mouth with the absolute adoration of a young nubile golf groupie as I explain the detailed intricacies of this inhuman super power that I have.

Good things follow. ;-)

• Upvote 1

Vishal S.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

Im fine with ride-along fees.  Its another person taking up space on the course and if someone has a rider, thats another cart or more foot traffic out on the course.  Personally, I dont understand what someone would want to go along with a golfer of average ability and watch them play.

On the courses that I play, theres quite a few wives who tag along with their husbands when they play.  None of the husbands are all that good and Ive even see instances where the women are pushing a baby in a stroller the whole time.  Its quite comical to watch, really.  Its like, do you really not have a life that you cant find something better to do or are you that insecure that you feel like you need to tag along with your husband to make sure that he isnt cheating on you?  Honestly, if my wife told me that she wanted to go with me and watch me play golf, Id flat out tell her no and tell her that she can find something better to do.  Luckily, my wife would never ask because she thinks its lame too.  Hey, to each their own though, right?

Heaven forbid that a wife and husband might actually enjoy spending time together?!?!?!

My wife and I have our things that we enjoy doing together, but we also have our things that we do apart from each other, and we're both 100% okay with that.  She has absolutely no interest in golf whatsoever and I'm fine with that (just as she's fine with the fact that I have no interest in going to watch 'chick flicks' with her).  I don't push it, don't even try to encourage her to give it a try.  I took her out on my home course once just so she could see it, and she spent almost the whole time looking at the architecture and decoration of the homes around the course - barely even looked at the course itself. :-) If she actually wanted to come out and ride along (or even play) once in a while for whatever reason, I wouldn't tell her no, but I don't encourage it either.

Neither of us feel compelled to be with each other 24/7.  She doesn't begrudge me my golf time, no matter how often I'm playing, and I don't begrudge her "girls' night out" time, or going to chick flicks with her mom or whatever.  Works for us.

• Upvote 1

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

I hate them. They aren't slowing up the game, they cause no maintenance work. It is just printing free money for management. And if you rent a cart then you shouldn't have to pay to use the extra seat, so silly to me.

Our course has an attachment to carry two extra bags on one cart.  So they charge less than two carts but more than one cart, which for some reason bothers me, as it is still only one cart, and normally only one person at a time rides, as the others walk.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

It seems reasonable to me, a golf course is a business, not a park, you want to step foot in the place be prepared to pay a few bucks, end of story, I doubt the ride along fee is much money to be concerned about anyway.

Three of us played a course in Mauritius and paid $1,560 for our 3 wives to ride along - not one of them play golf.   Talking about ride along - hope you enjoy the below:

Four old men (82, 83, 87 and 90) went into the pro shop after playing 18 holes of golf.

The pro asked, "Did you have a good game today?"

The first old guy said, "Yes, I had three riders today."

The second old timer, "I had the most riders ever, five."

The third, "I had seven riders, the same as last time."

And the last said, "I beat my old record. I had 12 riders."

After they went into the locker room, another golfer who had overheard the conversation, went to the pro and asked, "I’ve been playing golf a long time and I thought I knew all the terminology, but what the heck is a rider?"

The Pro responded, "A rider is when you hit the ball far enough to get in the cart and ride to it!"

Three of us played a course in Mauritius and paid $1,560 for our 3 wives to ride along - not one of them play golf.   Talking about ride along - hope you enjoy the below:

Golf cost was $1560 but the ride alongs were free, right?   As is, it can be read as the ride along for 3 wives cost $1560.  That would be a costly ride. :-)

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Golf cost was $1560 but the ride alongs were free, right?   As is, it can be read as the ride along for 3 wives cost $1560.  That would be a costly ride.

My mistake - The 1,560 is Mauritian currency, it's about $44 -  1st time I had to pay for the buggy as well as a ride along.

Note: This thread is 3222 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!