IGNORED

2015 British Open at St. Andrews Discussion Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 3031 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What's interesting about the weather forecast is they're calling for a Westerly wind, around 10-15mph. That's the same wind that John Daly won out of in 1995. That means the Front 9 plays into the wind and the back nine plays downwind. On 17, balls will be pushed towards the left rough and 18 will become a very reachable par-4.

Great call! I just watched that tournament on "greatest rounds" on GC. Man that was something when Constatino made that snake after chunking his wedge on 18!

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I dont know enough about St. Andrews hole by hole to know how a westerly wind affects certain players. But my preliminary 6 picks in a salary cap competition are Casey, Sergio, Keegan, F Molinari, Schwartzel, and Matsuyama. All consistently make the cut at the Open and playing fairly solid golf this year. Any constructive criticism on these picks?

I dont know enough about St. Andrews hole by hole to know how a westerly wind affects certain players. But my preliminary 6 picks in a salary cap competition are Casey, Sergio, Keegan, F Molinari, Schwartzel, and Matsuyama. All consistently make the cut at the Open and playing fairly solid golf this year. Any constructive criticism on these picks?

Good picks, but again, I don't see Molinari having a shot.

Riley

A westerly wind helps the bombers because it makes 9, 12 and 18 very reachable with even a 3 wood for some. Also makes the par-5 14th reachable in two. Rory would have destroyed this place if he was healthy. Holes 2-8 and 11 will play dmost difficult as well as 17 which would play mostly into a crosswind.

A westerly wind helps the bombers because it makes 9, 12 and 18 very reachable with even a 3 wood for some. Also makes the par-5 14th reachable in two. Rory would have destroyed this place if he was healthy. Holes 2-8 and 11 will play dmost difficult as well as 17 which would play mostly into a crosswind.

The bulk of the course runs about NNW to SSE, so you've perfectly described what a wind out of the NW would do.  It the wind swings a bit south, it could make nearly everything play across the wind, which would make me favor the guys who can flight all their shots low, and are comfortable playing shots on the ground.

I'm really interested to watch this year.  I've been lucky enough to play the Old Course a couple of times since 2010, so I expect it to be even more fascinating than normal.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

The bulk of the course runs about NNW to SSE, so you've perfectly described what a wind out of the NW would do.  It the wind swings a bit south, it could make nearly everything play across the wind, which would make me favor the guys who can flight all their shots low, and are comfortable playing shots on the ground.   I'm really interested to watch this year.  I've been lucky enough to play the Old Course a couple of times since 2010, so I expect it to be even more fascinating than normal.

According to forecasts, it's going to be mostly a NW wind and colder than the norm, so yeah, if it holds up the back will be mostly downwind. Of course it depends how hard....that will dictate a lot. Right now they're calling for 10-15 which isnt all that strong.

This is going to be hard to predict. I've actually won the ChrisP slam....I've hit on my last 4 bets in majors (granted I always bet a favorite, mid-ranger and long shot). But With Rory out, I'm not as confident. I was going to use most of my winnings from the U.S. Open on Rory. Leaning towards playing Rose, maybe Scott if winds are projected to be light. If Jordan wins or finishes top 3, I may play him. So I'm in a wait-and-see. I do think it will be a prominent player though. St Andrews has a history of having strong leaderboards.

Hi guys,

I was looking through the field for next week and I am struggling to pick my winner. Rory is now out, and being the major favorite alongside Spieth, the field is now blown wide open!

I see potential in Dustin Johnson having a big role to play in it along with Rickie Fowler, but I just don't see Spieth making it 3 in a row with all the pressure that is going to be on his shoulders next week!

My pick is DJ!

What do you guys think?

Gareth

I'm pulling for Spieth to make it 3 majors in a row.

But, after show a little sign of life last week, it is hard not to think that Tiger won't be there on Sunday after winning 2 Open's at St. Andrew's.

Even though Rory is gone there are still a number of potential winners: Justin Rose, Victor Dubuisson, Henrik Stenson, Adam Scott, Bubba Watson, Dustin Johnson, Hideki Matsuyama, Louis Oosthuizen, or Branden Grace.

But, I would love to see Sergio win just one major championship. His time is running out quickly.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

I just can't see Tiger at the top of a leaderboard, just because he made the cut at the Greenbriar. It would be great for the fans, the sponsors and the game....but could this be his last walk over Swilcan bridge?

I'd like to see Jordan pull it off, and then see all the hype the builds up to Whispering Straits; but I just can't pick him, I'm sticking with Oosty, he showed great at the US Open and has won at St. Andrews.

Players play, tough players win!

my picks in order:

jordan

DJ

justin rose

You should go back to the first post and read the rules for submitting your picks.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

You should go back to the first post and read the rules for submitting your picks.

What first post? This is not the prediction contest ;-)

~Jorrit

What first post? This is not the prediction contest ;-)

You're right my bad.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Weather forecast looks a little better for Thur/Fri, less chance of rain - I do hope that if there is bad weather it is for an entire day, as it seems rather luck of the draw to have the field separated by weather as much as by play.

Players play, tough players win!

Note: This thread is 3031 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!