IGNORED

Slope Adjusting Laser Rangefinders Worth the Extra Money?

Note: This thread is 1468 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

19 minutes ago, iacas said:

Right. It has more to do with things than just the added roll. In fact, because the landing angle is steeper, shots to an uphill green often roll out more.

I just went through this watching a Trackman video (by way of TM University.) A little off topic but the video also notes that rangefinders with inclinometers aren't allowed in competition - just an fyi. Watch the video, it'll make things a little clearer.

There's also a calculator where you can adjust landing height and see how that affects landing angle. Eg, 6I, diff between 45 ft above and 50 ft below is about 14 degrees in landing angle.

la1.png

la.png

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The information that @nevets88 provides illustrate my objection to slope-enabled rangefinders.  These devices use some type of calculation method to determine the "plays-like" distance that simply can't take into account the players actual ball flight and club distances.  For an uphill shot, someone who hits the ball higher will "lose" less carry than a low-ball hitter.  A long hitter (using more lofted club) will lose less than a short hitter.  I have a slope-enabled Bushnell, and I virtually never use the slope feature.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Just now, DaveP043 said:

The information that @nevets88 provides illustrate my objection to slope-enabled rangefinders.  These devices use some type of calculation method to determine the "plays-like" distance that simply can't take into account the players actual ball flight and club distances.  For an uphill shot, someone who hits the ball higher will "lose" less carry than a low-ball hitter.  A long hitter (using more lofted club) will lose less than a short hitter.  I have a slope-enabled Bushnell, and I virtually never use the slope feature.

Yes, in the video, there's 3 trajectories, h,m, l and the gains/losses vary depending on the trajectories. I guess the calculations are based on m trajectories. I don't know if any models exist that ask what trajectory you hit though.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Certain rangefinders like the Leupold with the inclinometer and faceplate switch are conforming. It comes with two faceplaces. One of them activates the feature. 

It would seem logical that the manufacturers would design the inclinometer to work with the medium trajectory. YMMV. They are training aids only. You could map out a course with one on a spiral notepad for a tournament and learn how much less or more club to take from a certain place unless there was a strong wind blowing.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I've heard that all rangefinders that provide slope are USGA conforming as long as the slope feature can be turned off.

Joe Paradiso

1 hour ago, newtogolf said:

I've heard that all rangefinders that provide slope are USGA conforming as long as the slope feature can be turned off.

Yep the faceplate technology is no longer necessary. The USGA decided they trust people enough to just turn it off, but not enough to post solo rounds. ;-)

• Upvote 1

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

The new Leupold GX-2i2 Rangefinder:  

• Club Selector gives you a recommended club based on your ball-striking abilities with true range distances

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

4 hours ago, newtogolf said:

2 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

Yep the faceplate technology is no longer necessary. The USGA decided they trust people enough to just turn it off, but not enough to post solo rounds. ;-)

They changed the wording to appendix IV. It previously said that features like slope measurement would render a device contrary to the rule, irrespective of whether or not they can be turned off. It now says that the device must not be used for prohibited purposes.

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/videos/2015/10/23/2016-usga-r-a-rules-revisions-rule-14-3-final-4575608041001.html

The video says that "the player is only going to be penalized if he accesses or uses that information."

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

When hitting to a very elevated green, if I don't want any roll, ie, front pin placement, my thought is more defensive - what's the minimal distance I need so the ball doesn't roll down the hill? If you're seeing a hole for the first time, I'm thinking maybe your naked eye, experience and intuition might be more useful than a rangefinder?

Steve

12 hours ago, dennyjones said:

The new Leupold GX-2i2 Rangefinder:  

• Club Selector gives you a recommended club based on your ball-striking abilities with true range distances

12 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

They changed the wording to appendix IV. It previously said that features like slope measurement would render a device contrary to the rule, irrespective of whether or not they can be turned off. It now says that the device must not be used for prohibited purposes.

The manufacturers are packing more and more functions into these devices that you're not allowed to use in any "official" round of golf.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

The manufacturers are packing more and more functions into these devices that you're not allowed to use in any "official" round of golf.

Seems to go with the trend of more non-conforming clubs.  I guess the goal is to get more people golfing even if it's not by the rules.

Joe Paradiso

(edited)

the goal is to make money, as always.  This time its by selling features that the others don't have yet.  Whether its a useful feature or not, someone will fall for it.

"But this one goes to eleven!"

Edited by DaveP043
  • Upvote 1

Dave

1 hour ago, newtogolf said:

Seems to go with the trend of more non-conforming clubs.  I guess the goal is to get more people golfing even if it's not by the rules.

But now the rules allow the device to have the features.  You just can't use those features that are non-conforming.

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

the goal is to make money, as always.  This time its by selling features that the others don't have yet.  Whether its a useful feature or not, someone will fall for it.

"But this one goes to eleven!"

I expect you're right.  But at least as the features don't make the entire device non-conforming anymore--so now the manufacturers have more opportunity to add something new without making the whole device "for practice only."

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

But think, if you've played a few rounds on the course with your slope/rangefinder and have it mapped out in your "yardage book", you can carry that book without your rangefinder in your club championship and look like a real pro out there because you have the quirks of the course mapped out for each hole from where you hit your ball. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

• 4 years later...

Hi I am currently looking at purchasing a range finder in the UK. I am just deciding if it is really necessary to get one with slope or not?  Does slope really affect distance that much? There is a par 3 at my home course that is 167 with a relatively high elevated tee. Ive no idea exactly how high but I would say its probably 80 to 100 feet up. I would normally hit a 6 iron to 170 but here its only 1 club less for me, a 7 iron. There's only a few extreme circumstances like this on my course the others are uphill which  I would struggle to guess more but I just take an extra club normally and hope to get it somewhere near the middle of the green just. Is the slope even going to be  accurate on the range finder as well because I imagine a lot of it is to do with trajectory, so perhaps it could actually hinder club and shot selection?  If I have iron shots that are coming down steeper surely it would barely make a difference on downhill shots but more so uphill shots etc? Has anyone here really benefited or been surprised much from there slope mode vs no slope? Thanks I don't play in competitions at the minute but would like to soon, I also don't play other courses at the minute but would like to do a "tour" at some point.

If you play in any competition or plan on playing in any competition, slope range finders are not allowed.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• iacas changed the title to Is a Slope Range Finder Worth It Over Non Slope, Does It Affect Distance Much?
  • Administrator
1 minute ago, dennyjones said:

If you play in any competition or plan on playing in any competition, slope range finders are not allowed.   

They're allowed if you can disable or turn off the functionality.

@2huskys, I merged your post into an existing topic.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1468 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!