IGNORED

Why all the testosterone?

daa1969
Note: This thread is 3183 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I believe tee box selection should be based on handicap, not distance. If you're a 0-6, play the tips, 6-12, one-ups, 12-18, whites, 18+ red. Obviously, this is a general rule as not all courses have 4 or more tee boxes and the hcap could differ a bit here and there. But, as a general rule, I think this works.
  • Upvote 2

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

People, unless your close to a scratch golfer, why do you insist on playing from the back tees? If you wanna improve your score and have more fun, just move up! My average bad drive still goes like 275 and i play forward, i see it all the time, most of the time if your even lucky enough to reach the fairway, its pretty crooked anyway, would you rather hit driver, 3wood, than 40 yard pitch, or driver, 6 iron, at worse little chip? Maybe its just me but it seems really stupid to set yourself up for failure right from the start!

Unless they are holding you up, why would you care?  I play pretty fast and I would take umbrage with anyone telling me what tees I should play if I'm not holding anyone up.  It is up to me how to improve my score (my preference is playing better, not making it easier) and how to have fun (playing a very difficult game to the best of my ability with no quarter asked or given).  Other people have other priorities, with writing down a lower number apparently being one of the most popular.

• Upvote 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

unfortunately, a lot of times they are holding people up, not all, but quite a bit, theyre spending too much time looking for their balls, etc. Sometimes we dont realize but little things like this can alter the pace of the whole day, its like someone hitting their brakes on the hywy, if you were in a helicopter you would see a reaction to that for up to 5 miles, just a simple brake light, no real incident. Its a thought process that continues all the way to green, ie people are always coming up short or crooked because they go to range and get in a rythym with no consequences and hit their 9iron 150, then on the course with the pressure of one shot they either come up short or try so hard it goes off line. And dont you just love the ones who drive it 200 then wait for green to clear from 280, just lay up already! Or just hit your 3wood and in the event of a miracle and you maybe roll up near green, just apologize. And then theres the ones that are just clueless, they hit their ball then drive 10yds for their partners ball, or they take off, you hit, then they drive back 100yds thinking your ball is thiers, argh! Guess i got off subject and on rant, oh well!

Thing is people paying from tees too long relative to their skill usually do hold you up. Fast golf and poor scores rarely go hand in hand. Have never seen anyone that was just long and wrong. The guy I mentioned earlier that hit absurdly long drives also hit some really poor drives, some so short they didn't get to the fairway. Golfers that don't score well are always erratic. If moving up makes the course easier they should find less trouble and score better.

Dave :-)

Hey gunther, i bet you play better with wife and from whites. Just losing the macho pressure of your buds should do wonders, happens to all of us when we're with certain people, we get caught up in a game that takes us away from our own, good luck, interested in outcome

Hey gunther, i bet you play better with wife and from whites. Just losing the macho pressure of your buds should do wonders, happens to all of us when we're with certain people, we get caught up in a game that takes us away from our own, good luck, interested in outcome

I have no idea what this means.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Quote:

Originally Posted by daa1969

I have no idea what this means.

He mistook you for another poster, a 20+ handicap who insists on playing from the tips.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

I average mid 80s and,about a 240 yard drive but i play the,tops on my home course which is about 6700. If i play from the whites the par 3s are generally about 130 and thats just too close to be fun.

@daa1969 just a POV but you've now made two references to 200 yard drivers. Are you aware of the average driving distance of armatures? Try not to alienate too many people in getting your POV across please. No 200 yard driver shall play the xxxx tees. Fill in the blank. I believe this is the message along with honestly assess and know your ability. One home run does not make a power hitter!

1st of all, to hatchman, i apologize if it came across as a 200 yd drive was bad, i was aiming more at the people who think they can hit it 335 but never do, or maybe they hit a few good ones at range and assume thats their game. Ive been working with my dad who would take a driver on a 170 par 3, now hes gone down to a 5 wood and his driver is going the best it ever has, averaging in the 200 range, but he still understands that he cant play the back tees, and he certainly knows he doesnt have to wait from 280 out. I play with people all the time who are short but straight and score well, i wish some of the younger players could learn a thing or 2 from them, but unfortunately theres too much testosterone involved. And for ryan, i agree on the short par 3 thing which is why i like to switch things up sometimes and play back on par 3s theres no rule that you have to play the same tee for every hole, unless theres other circumstances, ie bets or competition, etc.

I usually play as a walk single and will play where everybody else is playing. I'm not so good it get boring from the whites. :-) I do like playing the tips so I can use more than wedge approach shots. I enjoy those 450 yard par 4's, but not all the time.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

^ That is a good option "if" playing for fun or a practice round. If I am paired with other golfers that are playing 6600+ yards, I tell them I'll join them on all the tee boxes except for par 4's over 420 yds and par 3's over 200 yds. I do this to save time and so they are not frustrated that I want to play off another tee box. The problem arises when I am paired with shorter or less experienced golfers that want to play at 6200 yds or less. I just politely tell them I need to play the course b/w 6300-6600, and I will offer to move up if they feel like I am slowing them down (never had that happen so far).

I agree with vangator, i too am usually single and just play from where the rest of the group is, you just have to understand your game and play accordingly. Plus, if its your regular course its good to mix things up occasionally.

Will let you know how it goes.I'm interested in the outcome too. :-) I have only been playing every two weeks, about 6 times. This is my first year back since I stopped about ten years ago. spent most of the year putting my bag together. I have been hitting the range and practice greens 1 or 2 times a week between rounds. Not sure how I pulled this off but I am playing the next three days, a 9 from the whites tonight, 9 tomorrow from the back tees, and tuesday my first 18, not sure from where that day.

1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

1st of all, to hatchman, i apologize if it came across as a 200 yd drive was bad, i was aiming more at the people who think they can hit it 335 but never do, or maybe they hit a few good ones at range and assume thats their game. Ive been working with my dad who would take a driver on a 170 par 3, now hes gone down to a 5 wood and his driver is going the best it ever has, averaging in the 200 range.

I understand and was just thinking out loud. Estimated yardages appear longer than they usually are. Our course here takes care of itself if you try to back beyond your driving ability (length & control), you'll be in the bushes, waste areas, water, etc and not even reach the fairway with a short tee shot. Who wants that frustration? There is a natural progression with moving back...not starting back then moving up, isn't there?

That was just for the sake of my example, 90% of the time im hitting a wedge on par 4s, my average drive is around the 305 area. The example was for the people that dont even drive it 200

Well you and DJ have at least 1 thing in common.

Note: This thread is 3183 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!