IGNORED

What is the purpose of life?

StefanUrkel
Note: This thread is 3164 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="turtleback" url="/t/84340/what-is-the-purpose-of-life/240#post_1199534"] And it is pretty clear why.

This meme just about sums this entire thread up......well I guess half of it is about yoga pants so maybe not.[/quote] There's some irony here when a Principal Robotics Engineer is told by a lawyer he can't grasp science. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duff McGee

This meme just about sums this entire thread up......well I guess half of it is about yoga pants so maybe not.

I think this one is way better.

I always felt bad for Rudolf. :~(

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtleback

And it is pretty clear why.

This meme just about sums this entire thread up......well I guess half of it is about yoga pants so maybe not.

Well said.  It amply demonstrates the incredible arrogance of some of the atheists in this thread who think that if someone doesn't believe as they do they must be ignorant or unable to grasp science   Ignoring the fact that many many people who understand science far better than any lawyer ever could, are also believers.  Ignoring the fact that there are many many scientists of incredibly high IQs who are believers.  Ignoring the fact, which you should have figured out by now,  that "jury" level "logic" doesn't work here.

Treating people who do not believe as you do as if they were stupid is the very epitome of being disrespectful towards someone's beliefs.

You aren't doing yourself any favors, IMO, with this level of argumentation.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

There's some irony here when a Principal Robotics Engineer is told by a lawyer he can't grasp science.

Yeah you would think you would be more sensible.... :whistle:

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Well said.  It amply demonstrates the incredible arrogance of some of the atheists in this thread who think that if someone doesn't believe as they do they must be ignorant or unable to grasp science   Ignoring the fact that many many people who understand science far better than any lawyer ever could, are also believers.  Ignoring the fact that there are many many scientists of incredibly high IQs who are believers.  Ignoring the fact, which you should have figured out by now,  that "jury" level "logic" doesn't work here.

Treating people who do not believe as you do as if they were stupid is the very epitome of being disrespectful towards someone's beliefs.

I agree that he has some element of over zealousness against believing in a god but believing the bible requires some sort of ignorance or manipulation of the word to accept it. My personal experience with christianity was ignorance but I couldn't go on believing the stories. I guess I am agnostic if you want to call it a name but when you post the bible quotes like its "science" or a generalized truth, it tends to aggravate some people. Maybe God dictated the bible but it was put through the filter of men.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/84340/what-is-the-purpose-of-life/252#post_1199888"] There's some irony here when a Principal Robotics Engineer is told by a lawyer he can't grasp science. :-D [/QUOTE] Yeah you would think you would be more sensible....:whistle:

I don't follow my "senses". Feel's not real. . . :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtleback

And it is pretty clear why.

Agree wholeheartedly.

Even though these threads don't provide me with any golf info, they at least give a little insight into character......

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Agree wholeheartedly. Even though these threads don't provide me with any golf info, they at least give a little insight into character......

Cognitive dissonance encourages people to attack the messenger, not the message. The reason theists believe they are being reasonable is that they are viewing the world with a conclusion first (there is a god, and he is my god). Everything that theist sees is in light of that conclusion. I believe in Yaweh and Jesus Christ, now what do Christian scientists or believer scientists have to say about the subject? You guys do not realize what science really is. Every believer that I know or have met in the past (thousands throughout most denominations) thinks that atheism is a belief system where scientists set out to disprove God. That is not even close to the truth. Science discovers facts. It doesn't have any agenda at all! It's completely objective. 93% of elite scientists in the country are atheist. Yet believers will point to the 7% to show that "even scientists accept god!" If theists did not view the world through their conclusion lens of "god exists, now what" then the 7% would be considered an anomaly and just figure that these people were somehow brainwashed or that they were suffering from extreme cognitive dissonance spurred by emotion. Unless you are someone that believes conspiracy theories and believes in Bigfoot, you don't decide truth that way. You view things objectively in order to evaluate claims. Have you ever spoken to a Bigfoot believer, a UFO fanatic, or a 9/11 conspiracist? What do they think about you when you tell them that there is no evidence? If you are being honest, you will know the answer right away. They think you are closed minded, stupid, arrogant, a jerk, and the conspiracist gets red in the face and fervently defends their beliefs. That is why you think atheists are being rude. They are intellectually attacking something that your brain is putting all of its power into believing. The strongest cognitive dissonance of all. When I was a Christian I met very few atheists that I considered nice people. Most were arrogant, disrespectful jerks. Now I now very few jerk atheists, yet I know hundreds more than I used to know. Why is that? It's the same reason many Muslims around the world hate the West. It offends their deeply help beliefs when we do anything contrary to Allah's will. In many places around the world, you will be killed for blasphemy for questioning the religion. When you point out the gigantic flaws in any religion, its proponents get angry. It personally offends them because it is their entire identity. Yet now I realize that what atheists are saying should not offend people to that level. Beliefs should not be held to the same level as things people do not choose. How many of you theists are respectful when talking about the "Heaven's Gate" cult that all committed suicide when the meteor flew by? How many of you are like "yeah, those guys shouldn't draw cartoons of Mohammed and it's their faults they got shot?" Most of you aren't bothered by critiques on those religions. Yet...... Atheism is not a religion. It has no belief. It is a lack of belief in any deity. Evolution is not "faith based." These are all things that my meme speaks to. It doesn't mean all theists don't understand science, it just means that they haven't thoroughly thought out what their religion means in light of what science and reason tell us.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz  15 pages and score is still:  0 to 0

Back to your regular scheduled circular debate

Aaaand back to sleep

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz................Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

Agree wholeheartedly.

Even though these threads don't provide me with any golf info, they at least give a little insight into character......

Cognitive dissonance encourages people to attack the messenger, not the message.

93% of elite scientists in the country are atheist. Yet believers will point to the 7% to show that "even scientists accept god!"

According to a Pew study done in 2009,

I would consider AAAS members to be pretty elite. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

Not sure what you consider "elite" scientist. My parents both have Doctorates in Physics from Cornell, one has faith the other is a self declared atheist. The one with faith has an IQ 40 points higher than the one without. No correlation to intelligence as you seem to be indicating. . .

http://news.discovery.com/tech/are-scientists-atheists.htm

Of course, all numbers are biased.

Both my parents are PhD Biochemists, my mom of which is a Director of Clinical Virology in her company, still has faith, as Lutherans, in God.  They have found a way to blend science and their faith and will happily explain how to anyone.  That faith, in no way effects their ability as scientists to do their job.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyk View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

Not sure what you consider "elite" scientist. My parents both have Doctorates in Physics from Cornell, one has faith the other is a self declared atheist. The one with faith has an IQ 40 points higher than the one without. No correlation to intelligence as you seem to be indicating. . .

http://news.discovery.com/tech/are-scientists-atheists.htm

Of course, all numbers are biased.

Both my parents are PhD Biochemists, my mom of which is a Director of Clinical Virology in her company, still has faith, as Lutherans, in God.  They have found a way to blend science and their faith and will happily explain how to anyone. That faith, in no way effects their ability as scientists to do their job.

Exactly.

What upsets me more is people who need to put titles like "elite". It's simply snobbish.

BTW, I erased all the stuff about my family in the original post because it was just needless bragging. . .but in your case it's very appropriate as she's in life sciences.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Quote:

Agree wholeheartedly.

Cognitive dissonance encourages people to attack the messenger, not the message.

The reason theists believe they are being reasonable is that they are viewing the world with a conclusion first (there is a god, and he is my god). Everything that theist sees is in light of that conclusion.

I believe in Yaweh and Jesus Christ, now what do Christian scientists or believer scientists have to say about the subject?

You guys do not realize what science really is. Every believer that I know or have met in the past (thousands throughout most denominations) thinks that atheism is a belief system where scientists set out to disprove God.

That is not even close to the truth. Science discovers facts. It doesn't have any agenda at all! It's completely objective.

93% of elite scientists in the country are atheist. Yet believers will point to the 7% to show that "even scientists accept god!"

If theists did not view the world through their conclusion lens of "god exists, now what" then the 7% would be considered an anomaly and just figure that these people were somehow brainwashed or that they were suffering from extreme cognitive dissonance spurred by emotion.

Unless you are someone that believes conspiracy theories and believes in Bigfoot, you don't decide truth that way. You view things objectively in order to evaluate claims.

Have you ever spoken to a Bigfoot believer, a UFO fanatic, or a 9/11 conspiracist? What do they think about you when you tell them that there is no evidence?

If you are being honest, you will know the answer right away. They think you are closed minded, stupid, arrogant, a jerk, and the conspiracist gets red in the face and fervently defends their beliefs.

That is why you think atheists are being rude. They are intellectually attacking something that your brain is putting all of its power into believing. The strongest cognitive dissonance of all.

When I was a Christian I met very few atheists that I considered nice people. Most were arrogant, disrespectful jerks.

Now I now very few jerk atheists, yet I know hundreds more than I used to know. Why is that?

It's the same reason many Muslims around the world hate the West. It offends their deeply help beliefs when we do anything contrary to Allah's will. In many places around the world, you will be killed for blasphemy for questioning the religion.

When you point out the gigantic flaws in any religion, its proponents get angry. It personally offends them because it is their entire identity.

Yet now I realize that what atheists are saying should not offend people to that level. Beliefs should not be held to the same level as things people do not choose.

How many of you theists are respectful when talking about the "Heaven's Gate" cult that all committed suicide when the meteor flew by?

How many of you are like "yeah, those guys shouldn't draw cartoons of Mohammed and it's their faults they got shot?"

Most of you aren't bothered by critiques on those religions. Yet......

Atheism is not a religion. It has no belief. It is a lack of belief in any deity.

Evolution is not "faith based."

These are all things that my meme speaks to. It doesn't mean all theists don't understand science, it just means that they haven't thoroughly thought out what their religion means in light of what science and reason tell us.

The only thing that really bothers me is the uncivil/disrespectful discussion.  That is all I (and @turtleback ) was pointing out.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Quote:

Quote:

Agree wholeheartedly.

These are all things that my meme speaks to. It doesn't mean all theists don't understand science, it just means that they haven't thoroughly thought out what their religion means in light of what science and reason tell us.

The only thing that really bothers me is the uncivil/disrespectful discussion.  That is all I (and @turtleback ) was pointing out.

Sure, he seems to be convinced that all people of faith are all stupid and/or ignorant. There has to be a balance in any dialog, and it's very difficult to have a reasonable conversation when one party is making such obvious assumptions of superiority.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

The reason theists believe they are being reasonable is that they are viewing the world with a conclusion first (there is a god, and he is my god). Everything that theist sees is in light of that conclusion.

I believe in Yaweh and Jesus Christ, now what do Christian scientists or believer scientists have to say about the subject?

You guys do not realize what science really is. Every believer that I know or have met in the past (thousands throughout most denominations) thinks that atheism is a belief system where scientists set out to disprove God.

That is not even close to the truth. Science discovers facts. It doesn't have any agenda at all! It's completely objective.

If theists did not view the world through their conclusion lens of "god exists, now what" then the 7% would be considered an anomaly and just figure that these people were somehow brainwashed or that they were suffering from extreme cognitive dissonance spurred by emotion.

Unless you are someone that believes conspiracy theories and believes in Bigfoot, you don't decide truth that way. You view things objectively in order to evaluate claims.

Have you ever spoken to a Bigfoot believer, a UFO fanatic, or a 9/11 conspiracist? What do they think about you when you tell them that there is no evidence?

If you are being honest, you will know the answer right away. They think you are closed minded, stupid, arrogant, a jerk, and the conspiracist gets red in the face and fervently defends their beliefs.

That is why you think atheists are being rude. They are intellectually attacking something that your brain is putting all of its power into believing. The strongest cognitive dissonance of all.

When I was a Christian I met very few atheists that I considered nice people. Most were arrogant, disrespectful jerks.

Now I now very few jerk atheists, yet I know hundreds more than I used to know. Why is that?

It's the same reason many Muslims around the world hate the West. It offends their deeply help beliefs when we do anything contrary to Allah's will. In many places around the world, you will be killed for blasphemy for questioning the religion.

When you point out the gigantic flaws in any religion, its proponents get angry. It personally offends them because it is their entire identity.

Yet now I realize that what atheists are saying should not offend people to that level. Beliefs should not be held to the same level as things people do not choose.

How many of you theists are respectful when talking about the "Heaven's Gate" cult that all committed suicide when the meteor flew by?

How many of you are like "yeah, those guys shouldn't draw cartoons of Mohammed and it's their faults they got shot?"

Most of you aren't bothered by critiques on those religions. Yet......

Atheism is not a religion. It has no belief. It is a lack of belief in any deity.

There are many documented flaws and mistakes made in science throughout history as well, yet you continue to refer to science as gospel.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 3164 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!