IGNORED

What is the purpose of life?

StefanUrkel
Note: This thread is 3143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am well aware that on planet earth all life would cease without insects but would prosper without humans.

My glib comment about insects was not a slur on the insect world ;-)

My issue is not so much with religion itself but for those who seem to believe that humans are the most important creatures.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, they have deluded themselves into doing so. If there were a single shred of evidence to prove the existence of a deity, it would be accepted as a fact and would not be treated as something which could be debated. If millions of children believe at some point that Santa Claus comes down their chimney, it doesn't give the idea credibility. [COLOR=181818]As for cfree5119, who asks:[/COLOR][COLOR=181818] [/COLOR][COLOR=181818] [/COLOR] [COLOR=181818]For those who do not believe in God, I am curious on why?[/COLOR] The fact that a man called Jesus existed doesn't have anything to with the existence of God, talking snakes or virgin mothers. The reason that the original response to the OP's question was mocked because it painted such a grim, mindless and depressing picture of a pointless existence: "[COLOR=181818]It is to worship the one that created everything."[/COLOR] [COLOR=181818]Even if there were a creator of polio, a billion insects, HIV and childhood blindness, why would one feel the need to devote their life to "worshipping" him/her?[/COLOR]

Come on shorty. I know it was a useless question. That bothers you and probably many others. It bothers me because of the association to my faith. I have no interest in entering a pointless debate about this subject and how mindless deism is. "The problem of pain" however, is a very old and well documented topic of deist theology. The "mindless" association you and others here hand out so freely is unfortunate. Maybe some are but there are those of us who have spent a lifetime in study deconstructing and questioning our faith in humility. Throwing inflammatory words around is just not necessary my...friend. ;-). I'll respectfully step away from this topic. No ill will from me btw, I should probably just find something other than this site to occupy my thoughts.

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am well aware that on planet earth all life would cease without insects but would prosper without humans. My glib comment about insects was not a slur on the insect world ;-) My issue is not so much with religion itself but for those who seem to believe that humans are the most important creatures.

Your comment was basically why should someone worship a creator that created billions of insects.. (Among other things) Why humans are the most important creature seems like an OT subject that you can start a thread about if you like though. I am interested in knowing what the purpose of life is from your kind self though..?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Pastafarianism isn't a religion. It's just a way to poke fun of Christians.

I looked more into that "Jesus vs Horus" thing after I posted that (lol) and it turns out that is a hoax of some kind. I saw it in that Bill Maher "Religulous" movie but it sounds like it isn't true.

https://richarddawkins.net/2014/04/seeking-hard-evidence-for-the-similarity-of-the-horus-and-jesus-myths/

Right, so Henderson apparently has some unwanted followers.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I am interested in knowing what the purpose of life is from your kind self though..?

There is no universal purpose of an individual life other than to reproduce the species.

In the same way that plants and all other life forms do. The belief in anything else implies an absurd degree of arrogance, naivity and refusal to engage in scientific discourse where we base our expression of ideas on reality rather than a "faith" in something that logically can not exist and has never even been suggested to be able to possibly exist - despite the "beliefs" of billions.

From a personal perspective, though, I find it reasonable to live a life where you try to do as much good as you can for others and find enjoyment where you can - but never at the expense of others. These are the prerogatives of all people, not just those who happen to believe in a creator. It just makes life more pleasant.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Could be, although I thought he may have meant Pete Dye.

Maybe where you are but in the northeast our god would be Donald Ross...

that's the truth

Main purpose in life - To know God and enjoy Him forever. He alone satisfies - just saying

What makes you think god is a he?

Work yourself to death so an anchor can sit home and drain it all

No that is America's idea.

Interesting.  The only "purposes" that have gotten mocked and made fun of here are the ones involving God.

Sounds like there are a lot of "purposes" that do not include being tolerant of others' beliefs.

The only post to get any response at all was @Abu3baid 's and it got 10 negative responses of varying degrees of negativity, with one supportive.  No one else's state purpose was commented on at all by anyone else to any degree.  Yet almost one-third of the posts in this thread mock, to one degree or another, his answer.

Like I said, interesting.

Ironic more like. Christianity mocks other religions and fails to tolerate anyone else's beliefs because there's is the only "right way". The christians have mocked and judged all others and now are getting the back lash for this behavior.

All man made purposes will fail us.

For those who do not believe in God, I am curious on why? There is historical legitimacy to the Bible so I am assuming those who reject God also deny the historical account of the Bible? We

Can't reject parts of history we want to believe and only choose to believe parts of history we want. Jesus was an actual man who walked the Earth. The most important question life is who we say Jesus is. See Matthew 16:16.

For purpose, see Romans 8:28. "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose."

Not everyone adheres to this book. What about what the Koran says? or Buddha says?

Purpose in life?: Satisfy our hormones and not hurt anyone in the process... Which brings us back to yoga pants...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

My issue is not so much with religion itself but for those who seem to believe that humans are the most important creatures.

Not the most important creatures, but the ones with the most responsibility. We should be using our gifts of intellect and skill to their fullest. :-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

This thread needs more Yoga pants to lighten up the mood a little. You're welcome.

Now that's a purpose!

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

There is no universal purpose of an individual life other than to reproduce the species.

In the same way that plants and all other life forms do. The belief in anything else implies an absurd degree of arrogance, naivity and refusal to engage in scientific discourse where we base our expression of ideas on reality rather than a "faith" in something that logically can not exist and has never even been suggested to be able to possibly exist - despite the "beliefs" of billions.

From a personal perspective, though, I find it reasonable to live a life where you try to do as much good as you can for others and find enjoyment where you can - but never at the expense of others. These are the prerogatives of all people, not just those who happen to believe in a creator. It just makes life more pleasant.

I know quite a few people who seek enjoyment whether or not it is at the expense of others, and I'm not one to gauge if they are any happier than I am.

I'm not going to delve into this thread too much because I've already had quite a few discussions about it (I was a philosophy major in college), but I just wanted to offer that what people define as reason and faith are not so dissimilar. The conclusions that reason has lead to have been collectively viewed as incorrect over and over again throughout time, so it is often nothing more than faith that allows you to settle on any judgment or conclusion you have made. If you study string theory and quantum physics - very recent "scientific" theories supported by mathematical formulas - they ask you to concede that there are multiple universes, 11 dimensions, and that all matter is composed of energy strings several trillion times smaller than the nucleus of an atom. Sorry, but I need a heck of a lot of faith to buy that one. Almost as much as it takes to believe a divine son came down from Heaven to save humanity from its sins. Or that Allah spoke to a man in a cave and told him the words to a new holy book. And so on...

Or that Allah spoke to a man in a cave and told him the words to a new holy book. And so on...

I had a great conversation with an egg salad sandwich...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

No, they have deluded themselves into doing so.

If there were a single shred of evidence to prove the existence of a deity, it would be accepted as a fact and would not be treated as something which could be debated.

Alright then, who should I believe. The millions of people who have come to know God. or someone who has never come to know Him and therefore has no experience of God?

Secondly, as far as the existence of God is concerned, either an eternally existing, all-powerful being created all the complexity we see in the universe and in the world, or nothing created everything. It takes a whole lot more faith to believe all the complexity we see created itself from nothing, especially since science has never observed nothing creating something.

Thirdly, evolution is likewise highly debated. Using your logic, it could not be debated if it were a fact - just saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post
I had a great conversation with an egg salad sandwich...

Wow, mine only said "EAT ME " repeatedly. lol

Enjoy as much as you can, serious when need be.

Just remember, in the end, we all die.

Brian   

Alright then, who should I believe. The millions of people who have come to know God. or someone who has never come to know Him and therefore has no experience of God?

Secondly, as far as the existence of God is concerned, either an eternally existing, all-powerful being created all the complexity we see in the universe and in the world, or nothing created everything. It takes a whole lot more faith to believe all the complexity we see created itself from nothing, especially since science has never observed nothing creating something.

Thirdly, evolution is likewise highly debated. Using your logic, it could not be debated if it were a fact - just saying.

This is the argument of the Prime Mover.  Basically goes back to physics laws (first law of motion) that objects in motion remain in motion unless an external force is applied to it.  Your  keyboard cannot move itself, the planet did not create itself, the matter in the universe did not create itself.  Something, no matter what you call it did that, an unmoved entity that always existed.

I don't want this thread to be about the fact there 100 percent is no god.

It cannot be, because there are no facts to either confirm or deny that an all knowing and perfect being either always existed or never existed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

This is true, except it might be closer to billions.

I agree Lihu

To be fair, it's billions against billions (non believers, not just @Shorty or others in this thread).   But for those who have faith, the billions are splintered into many: Muslims, Christians, Hindus, Buhdists, thousands of native religions, ....

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 3143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!