IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

84 (11.2 diff)…an average round for me. BUT definitely in atypical fashion.

I usually:

• hit 10-11/14 FW
  • 8-9 GIRs
  • somewhere around 34-38 putts, with -2  to -3 strokes gained putting

today:

• Only 9/14 FW
  • 4 GIR
  • 26 Putts (8 one-putts & a chip-in), with +3.4 SG putting

Hidden in the 1-putt stats was my chipping. That was really where I shined today. All those missed greens would’ve hurt a lot more if I hadn’t chipped close enough for my putter to actually make a few.

why can’t all parts of the game work on the same round!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A few rounds to catch up on in the past week and a half or so:

9/8: I made a kind of rash decision to play Lake Winds after school. Not the best round: 46-45 for 91. I didn’t hit the ball poorly at all, but the greens there completely screwed me over. I should’ve been closer to 85.

9/11: Teed off around 7:15 in the morning at The Challenge. Another less than stellar performance: this one was a 50-50 from the blues that made for my first triple digit score since early June.

9/14: Back to Umstead for this round, and I played well this time. I shot 44 on the front, which is nothing special. But then I birdied the tenth and rode that momentum to a 42 on the back for 86. Because I played the blues, this round dropped my handicap to 11.6.

9/16: I wanted to play River Ridge again, so off we went to Raleigh. My prediction? An even 42-42. I missed the front nine by two strokes after I doubled the attackable par-3 ninth. I started the back with four straight pars, then went on to shoot 40 on the back for an 84. Honestly the only thing that didn’t click was off the tee because I wasn’t hitting fairways, but even then I was hitting it well.

My index now sits at 11.3. I’ve come a long way from starting the year at an 18 handicap!

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

I shot a 98 today and, thus, broke 100 for the first time. 👀

9.18.2021.jpg

Edited by HankBlue
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

:tmade: Stealth HD Driver :tmade: M4 3w :tmade: Stealth+ Rescue Hybrid 2

:tmade: P790 2i UDI :tmade: P790 3i-PW :tmade: MG3 52° AW ...56° CUTTER Wedge

...and a lefty L.A.B. B2 putter. :-)

Just now, HankBlue said:

I shot 98 today and, thus, broke 100 for the first time. 👀

9.18.2021.jpg

Congrats! Now go claim it in the “Achievements & Announcements” thread. 😀

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

On 9/16/2021 at 8:10 PM, woodzie264 said:

why can’t all parts of the game work on the same round!!!!

Indeed!

5 minutes ago, HankBlue said:

I shot a 98 today and, thus, broke 100 for the first time. 👀

9.18.2021.jpg

I just noticed that they were all Par 3’s….I don’t know if that’ll count for your badge if that’s the case. But either way, it’s milestone met!

-Jonny

91 today playing Falling Creek from the whites (69.2/120 just under 6,100yds).  The weather was fantastic so it was great to be out there again.  With the rain last night, knew the greens would be a touch slower today so it was not as crazy on the putting today as was a couple weeks back when I was at this course.  Nothing to brag about in terms of stats, just a good round of golf.  Biggest surprise hole of the day was the long par 3 #5 (199 from the whites).  A threesome was just ahead of me and as I was solo, they let me play through.  Great - now an audience, but I just acted like they were my son and grandson.  As the flag was marked in the front of the green, I took the advice of the guy I played with a couple weeks back to just get the ball to the front of the green.  As 199 is pretty much my max for a 3w, I figured that I should be able to hit it solid and let it roll out onto the green.  Shot went as planned and when I got to the green could not find the ball in front of or just on the green.  Could it be that I have my first ace?  Nope - cup is empty and that is when I look up at the very  back of the green.   There the ball sits about 2' from rolling off the back.  Now it is a matter of just getting it back down to the hole.  An easy putt off the back fringe and the ball rolls down the hill to stop about 7' from the hole.  Wound up two putting from there and left with a bogie.  It felt good to think my way through.  Ended the round partnering up with a couple of young guys to finish out the last four holes.  A good way to end the round.   

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Shot an 80 Saturday. This upcoming Wednesday would make a month since playing last. New job and change in the routine and golf has taken a back seat. I was streaky. Had some really good stretches and a couple mental breaks. Short game wasn’t good which is expected.

opened up double at one and a bogey at 2. No surprise there. 3 i blistered one off the tee and hit my wedge to 6 inches for a tap in. At 4 I blister another and hit another pretty good approach to 6 feet. Tried to Kevin Na the putt since I did think I made it. Stayed out on the high side tho. Still after a 2 putt par at 5 I’m 2 over after that awful start. Heard some really mediocre cursing while I was addressing my tee shot at 6. Was laughable that some guy yelled Jesus Christmas or something like that and I should have backed off. Ended up worm burning a short drive and hybrid layup to awkward yardage led to double at 6 then another double at 8 hurt. Ho hum par at 8 and 9 for a 6 over front: 3 doubles. I usually don’t make doubles. Seldom 3 in 9. Back was nothing spectacular: pars at 10-11. Bogeys at 12-13. Par at 14. 15-16 I was tired and could feel it. Still doesn’t excuse a 3 putt and then a bogey from a tee shot that left me 70 in. Pars at 17-18. There is some positive things to take from that round given the layoff I guess/

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Shot 79, 14 GIR/nGIR, 26 putts, 2 penalty strokes.

Both penalty strokes came on the back 9, and were just bad swings. In both cases, I stood over the ball too long, and should have backed off and reset, instead of making an uncomfortable swing.

Didn't have my A game with full swing today, but except for the two penalty strokes from hitting into red-staked penalty area, I was keeping the ball in play, and advancing the ball decently.

Short game was pretty good except one hole where it took 3 pitches to get on the green. The first two were out of awful lies, so I have a little pre-baked excuse for that one at least.

Putting was really solid today, especially considering the greens were aerated, sanded, and unmown.

Strokes gained vs. 5 HCP:

• Tee: -2.05
  • Approach: -2.80
  • Short Game: -1.64
  • Putting: +1.03
Edited by Darkfrog

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

80.  Two swings ultimately cost me from breaking 80.   Mainly barreling a 5 iron out of bounds on 10.  But I chipped in for eagle on 16 from just off the green.   I have not yet broken 80 on my new home course since moving here 4 years ago.  Now have 2 80s his year where one swing would have been the difference.  

—Adam

Shot 89 today. Drove the ball very well, lost four balls on approach shots. Two were with a wedge in my hands inside 100 yards.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Best 92 ever for me. 2nd time on this course that has many elevation changes and hidden hazards. 6 penalty strokes and never really put anything together. But also hit everything solid. I'll take it any day.

• Thumbs Up 1

92 (46 / 46) today.   Only hit 5 of 14 fairways, spraying the 3w off the tee on the shorter 4's today.  4 of 18 GIR, not a good day of ball striking on the approaches.  Had 41 strokes putting mostly due to having long distances to cover the rough and tumble greens.  Still a wonder day weather wise and spending time with my son.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Shot an 88... first time golfing a course for the second time.  Improved by 10 strokes over last week and par'd a hole (x2) for the first time ever. 😁

Scorecard.9.25.2021.jpg

• Like 1

• Administrator

Shot 34 in a two-man game I call "Two Cities." To play, you:

• Take the best drives and the best putts (from on the green).
  • For every other shot, you take the worst shot.

We birdied 1 from about 15 feet. We birdied two by two-putting after I drove the green with a hybrid.

We parred 3 and 4 (I made a 12-footer on 3 for a par — a par five where your "worst" shots have potential to snowball). We doubled five after a three-putt (I think we both let up on the gas when we knew a par was unlikely).

We birdied 6 after a great tee shot to 4 feet. We birdied 7 after we made a 16-footer.

We parred 8. I made a 15-footer on 9 for par. The wind was blowing about 25 MPH by that time.

Best by 4 among the five teams playing. Other scores were 38, 38, 38, and 43.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

We birdied 1 from about 15 feet. We birdied two by two-putting after I drove the green with a hybrid.

We parred 3 and 4 (I made a 12-footer on 3 for a par — a par five where your "worst" shots have potential to snowball). We doubled five after a three-putt (I think we both let up on the gas when we knew a par was unlikely).

We birdied 6 after a great tee shot to 4 feet. We birdied 7 after we made a 16-footer.

We parred 8. I made a 15-footer on 9 for par. The wind was blowing about 25 MPH by that time.

Sounds like a fun game…never heard of it…but then again, with the guys I play with taking their worst shots would put us playing out of the woods or water frequently 

• Funny 2

-Jonny

10 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

Sounds like a fun game…never heard of it…but then again, with the guys I play with taking their worst shots would put us playing out of the woods or water frequently 

Was thinking the same thing! 

10 hours ago, iacas said:

Love this format - see as a thinking man’s game of best ball where you have to work your way out of a potential mess as a team…

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Shot 82 today with 8 GIR. Lost three balls, all on approach shots. Ballstriking was as good if not better than last week. Didn't blade any pitch shots into the woods. I think I'm starting to figure things out.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread