IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

1 hour ago, billchao said:

I think I'm starting to figure things out.

That makes one of us 

• Funny 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Shot 82 (ESC 81) on Sunday, 14 GIR/nGIR, 29 putts, 1 penalty stroke.

Full swing was not great today, but it was playable for most of the round, except for one triple-bogey on the front, and another on the back. Both blow up holes were due to bad tee shots and worse recovery shots due to tree trouble.

Had two birdies today, including a new one which I entered in the TST 2021 Birdie Challenge thread.

Strokes gained vs. 5 handicap for the round (it's obvious where I need to put in practice time):

• Tee: -2.18
  • Approach: -4.09
  • Short Game: +1.34
  • Putting: +0.61

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

First time all season I managed to make a birdie at 1. Promptly gave it back with a double at 2 tho. Only had one other hiccup on the front with a bogey at 7. 2 over front. Back was nothing extraordinary. 3 bogeys and 6 pars. Probably lost interest a little waiting behind the same four guys from 6-18 on every damn shot. Was at the tee box the same time as them several times and it’s like they didn’t even notice me there. Wind at my back at 16 I hit one within 50 of the green and as I stood there waiting still nothing. It’s as if they were oblivious to the fact a single had been waiting on them all day. Was wide open in front of them.... really irritating. But had a day off and still enjoyed a 75.

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

3 hours ago, Dunit507 said:

First time all season I managed to make a birdie at 1. Promptly gave it back with a double at 2 tho. Only had one other hiccup on the front with a bogey at 7. 2 over front. Back was nothing extraordinary. 3 bogeys and 6 pars. Probably lost interest a little waiting behind the same four guys from 6-18 on every damn shot. Was at the tee box the same time as them several times and it’s like they didn’t even notice me there. Wind at my back at 16 I hit one within 50 of the green and as I stood there waiting still nothing. It’s as if they were oblivious to the fact a single had been waiting on them all day. Was wide open in front of them.... really irritating. But had a day off and still enjoyed a 75.

I may be a noob... but even i know when to let someone play thru... 🙄

:tmade: Stealth HD Driver :tmade: M4 3w :tmade: Stealth+ Rescue Hybrid 2

:tmade: P790 2i UDI :tmade: P790 3i-PW :tmade: MG3 52° AW ...56° CUTTER Wedge

...and a lefty L.A.B. B2 putter. :-)

3 hours ago, Dunit507 said:

Probably lost interest a little waiting behind the same four guys from 6-18 on every damn shot. Was at the tee box the same time as them several times and it’s like they didn’t even notice me there. Wind at my back at 16 I hit one within 50 of the green and as I stood there waiting still nothing. It’s as if they were oblivious to the fact a single had been waiting on them all day. Was wide open in front of them.... really irritating.

You gotta cough, rattle your clubs a bit.  Ask, "Would you be so kind to let me play through?"  Sometimes you have to make it happen.  

Take of two nines - one on one course, one on another.  Played the back nine  at Minnesott today using Worst Ball format. Basically playing the “worst” of two shots, makes for getting practice when the lie/line are way less than perfect.  Shot 46 off a 36 from the gold tees, including three double bogies.  Made for some challenging shot strategies, only two pars but plan on using it to improve overall course strategy.  Second nine was our monthly men’s Super Ball event at Harbour Pointe.  Our foursome’s average age was around 78, so they opted for the forward tees.  This was new territory for me, having to rethink tee shots as well as approaches.  Overall we were +1 for the nine.  Was fun putting for birdie and getting most of them.  Gave opportunity to play different shot strategies.  Overall a great day of golf with some good friends. 

Edited by WillieT
Spell check

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

9 hours ago, HankBlue said:

I may be a noob... but even i know when to let someone play thru... 🙄

9 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

You gotta cough, rattle your clubs a bit.  Ask, "Would you be so kind to let me play through?"  Sometimes you have to make it happen.  

Looking back in the app it was a 3.5 hour round. That’s not a dreadfully long day. But as a single, on a wet Tuesday 10:15 tee time it was. This could have been 2-2.5 hours at most.

How I treat a situation like this really depends on how I’m playing. I was hitting the ball fairly well yesterday so wasn’t in one of those moods. If I was in a poor mood I would have been the guy to hit a few closer to them. I would have inserted myself into their round a little. Sometimes if I’m playing very poorly I’ll just pack it up and eat the cart fee if I’m far enough into the round. Our pro is very kind with rain checks for members so if I am on the back anywhere he would still rain check 9. If i do pack it in I’m sure to pick a spot where i can drive through that group that is playing slow and tell them I am leaving. Don’t have time to wait around all day. It’s caused some funny interaction. Only happens maybe 1 or 2 times a season max. 

Had a few funny interactions with the group that let me play through at 5. Started with hey buddy you go ahead and I hope these assholes in front of us let you go. Knew it wasn’t looking good from there. Passed them on 11 and I had just smoked a drive. Hey good news and bad news. Good news I hammered one. Bad news I’m gonna be inside 200 and going for it in 2. I’ll have to wait for them to clear the green. 

If I had a re do I would have just jumped them at 10 and gone to 12. Our turn is technically between 11-12 the way course is laid out. So I could have gone up after 9 to 12 and then come back and picked up 10-11. 

Regardless I had nowhere to go, was playing well enough that I was honestly just enjoying being out and having a decent day. Had some struggles of late so felt good. 

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Forgot to post about this, but last Thursday I played after school at Umstead from the blues. I put together seven bogeys and two pars on the front for a 43, then paired that with a 44 on the back for 87. Not a bad number at all, but it honestly felt five to seven strokes worse.

Looking back at the scorecard, I got up and down four times for bogey. Short game was definitely a bit shaky. I also hit six greens this round, but played those holes at two over: one birdie bomb from 40 feet, two pars that came from super solid two putts, and three bogeys after poor first putts. Just a really weird round overall.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

88 (43/45) at RiverBend today from the whites.  The round started with a dbl on one and I thought here we go.  The round as a whole settled into a "bogie" round with a couple more doubles thrown in along with one birdie (on eight) and par (on fifteen).  This was all about serving scrambles the entire round, first putting for par on a good number of holes with the bogie being the reward.  Of course the greens on this course are not easy to put as it is like putting over rough terrain and not being sure of which way the ball will roll/bounce on its way to the hole.  It was a good round with 9 of 14 fairways hit, 3 of 18 GIR plus another 3 nGIR.  Really working on the game in regards to separation value - i.e. making sure that I give myself at least one look at par for each hole.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Played #4 today.  White tees at 6,428 yards.  Four old farts, 76, 70, 69 and myself at 67.

Had a very good start, birdie on the first, fairway and 2nd shot to 3 feet. Birdie again on the 2nd hole Par 5, unlikely birdie putting up hill 27 or so feet left to right in the hole. Par on the next two holes, followed by a bogey on the #1 rated hole a Par 4 playing 460!  Members think it’s a bit unfair. Uphill, tee shot is killed by the upslope. Two more pars on 6 and 7 followed by two bogies. 13 putts on the front nine!

Back nine started with two pars then a bogey on 12 when I bladed the ball over the green! Two more pars followed on a Par 5 and Par 3 ( the holes around the Lake if you’ve been here). Bogey on 15 when I pulled the tee shot hard left. Had 180ish to the hole, hit it pin high left of the green. Chipped on and one putted for the bogey. Par on 16 the short par 4 many can drive (274 yards).  Birdied the 536 yard par 5. Pulled the tee shot left into the trees but had a full swing out and put myself at 137 in the fairway to the back pin. Hit the 9 iron. Had a 3 footer for that birdie.  18th at 408 yards a tough finishing hole. Again tried to hit it hard and pulled it again. There’s a bunker in the corner, hit so hard it went in and jumped out left into the rough.  165 left, wind in the face and hit the 25* hybrid.  On the green for a two putt par.

Front 9: 37, 2 birdies, 3 bogeys.  4 Fairways, 5 GIR’s.  13 putts.

Back 9:  37, 1 birdie, 2 bogeys, 1 fairway, 4 GIR’s, 14 putts.

Short game was working plus a few putts from off the green. Putted very well, most 2nd putts were inside 1-2 feet.

Day before a 78, 10 fairways, 11 GIRs, 33 putts.  2 doubles, missed 3 putts inside 1-3 feet. Golf is hard, but sometimes easy.

Had a run of holes on Thursday as bad as any stretch I can remember. Some of it bad luck. Some of it self inflicted.

1 I come up a foot short of the green on the approach. Some heavy rough. Go from easy 2 putt to this.... blast it out and catches a slope next to the hole. Rolls down the side against the collar so now now I can’t even take a normal putter swing at my par putt. End up making a bogey.

2 I miss short right of green in no man’s land. I gotta go vertical and land one just on to have any hope of getting close to the pin. I’m short sided. Once again I’m close to perfect but no... this led to double.

3 I misjudged the wind. Club short on the approach. Hit the ground behind my long birdie putt. Made a tester for par. No damage.

4 I just murder my tee shot. I’m right in between where I hit a full 56 and a 52 yardage I’m comfortable with. End up going 52 and trying to take some off. Blade the hell out of it and leave it short. Another short sided chip and try to run a hybrid up the hill. Doesn’t make it. Another double.

5 yardage says 3/4 9 iron. I miss hit the shot short right in a penalty area. Yea doubles!!!

6 piss poor tee ball. Can’t advance my 2nd more than 100 yards from the heavy rough. Miss on my 3rd how bout another double!

6 holes in. 9 over par. Just miserable! I played 7-18 at 6 over and started to at least play something that resembled golf the rest of the day. Shot 85. We went back out and played the back again a 2nd time and I shot 3 over 39 on the back that time. Was cruising -1 through 13 but back to back bogeys at 14/15 plus 2 more at 17/18. I started to get a bit tired I’m thinking. 27 in a day. I haven’t played more than 18 in 5 years!

I was able to get out for nine holes at Croasdaile yesterday after school. I was sent off the back nine, and I decided to try the back tees (par 36, 3434 yds). 

The highlight of the day was when I parred the par-3 14th, which played about 200 yards. Here’s my final score:

PAR: 5-3-4-5-3-4-4-4-4—36

SCORE: 6-4-6-5-3-5-5-5-4—43

I’m pretty darn happy with a 43 (5.2 differential) off the back tees. Part of what helped was the fact that I was leaving myself in attackable positions off the tee even if they didn’t find the fairway.

Now I’ve just gotta find another nine to pair this with!

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Shot a 44 off the back nine at Minnesott today.  This was a quick afternoon round with the missus and grandson.  As she plays from the reds I figured I would as well to help speed up as we were starting around 4 knew we wanted to be back in by 6.  To ease the decision process I pared down the set to just the SLDR HL3W (17deg), SLDR 22deg Hybrid, Strata 6i & 8i, X-Tour PW and putter (we combined clubs to one bag as we also had the grandson's youth set with us as well).  Some of these are clubs my son uses when he plays so they don't get a lot of use.  Playing from the reds definitely shortened the holes making driving with the 3w a treat.  Accuracy was up as I was 5 of 7 fairways hit and even the misses were barely off the short stuff.  Approach game offered some challenges as I sort of knew the "distances" the clubs would carry and it showed as I only had 2 GIR with 3 more nGIR. I felt like I was doing okay.  Putting was "average" as I had a total of 18 putts.  The greens here are in great shape, i.e. rolling well, and you have to not over stroke the ball as it will keep a rolling in the right situation.  One of the most enjoyable rounds ever as ball striking was consistent.  Best part was enjoying the first afternoon of October with my bride and our grandson.    

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Played the Lakes track of Star Hill (course as 3 nine hole tracts, each a little different).  Played this tract in Mar of 20, shot 59 (full of dbl/trip/quad bogies). Today was much better with a 41 (4 pars and 5 bogies).  The greens were extremely receptive, have not had to repair this many deep pitch marks all season on any course.  Was a good day.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Bad start filled with foolish mistakes. 😔  Followed by inconsistency. 😐

Still, best score ever 🙂 (by 2 strokes!):

Scorecard.10.2.2021.jpg

:tmade: Stealth HD Driver :tmade: M4 3w :tmade: Stealth+ Rescue Hybrid 2

:tmade: P790 2i UDI :tmade: P790 3i-PW :tmade: MG3 52° AW ...56° CUTTER Wedge

...and a lefty L.A.B. B2 putter. :-)

88 today (41 / 47) at Minnesott.  Started on the back nine first (47), only one par and three doubles.  Front nine much, much better with the 41, with total of four pars (2, 7, 8, 9).  Best finish ever. Stats 6/14 fairways hit, 5/18 GIR plus another 3 nGIR. Was not all roses as I wasted several  opportunities for recovery by trying to shoot the gaps in the trees.  In essence, poor course management executed.  My son was with me and he finished with 92, a good round for both of us. 

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

I had the best round I've had all year. And the best back nine .... maybe ever. 

I went 44 on the front, 37 on the back for an 81. 

I'm pretty sure I had either a GIR or an NGIR on every hole on the back. 

• Thumbs Up 2

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with.