IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

46-47-93 on a damp cold day in Philly yesterday. Damp and cold don't work too well with my 70-year-old body and that was probably my last 18 holes in 2022. I have some soul searching to do in order the live with the fact that I don't hit it very far anymore and be OK with that. On the holes where I played to my strengths and laid up to spots where I could go at the green with my gap wedge, I had way more opportunities at par. On the holes where I took some risk to go for it with longer clubs, I brought double bogey into the mix. I really only had two legit looks at the green on par 4's but I took more shots at it than that. 

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Shot high 80's at San Jose Muni.  Funny thing though wasn't terrible round, had 9 GIR but also had 2 triples and doubles. Greens much faster then used to, but no complaints, snow on the ground back home.  I'm cutting myself slack, first time playing the course, great fun.

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

Played Siler City Country Club today and shot a 78.  I hit 8/14 fairways and 11 greens with 33 putts.  I am happy with the way my game is trending!

• Thumbs Up 3

Played Las Positas in Livermore, shot high 80's. First time playing, made some mistakes and didn't warm up (at all) on a very cold morning. First shot I think felt like I was swinging inside a sleeping bag, went all of 30 yards!  Nice course, friendly folk along the way, got a birdie and finished with a couple pars.  I could get used to California golf. 20* back home.

Mike

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

Up & down out of an 18th hole bunker for 79.  If we were in posting season, it would have been a differential of around 8.6

37 degrees, cloudy, slight breeze. Comfortable after walking the first 4-5 holes. The turf and greens were not frozen. The course played about as close to normal as a December round in the Mitten can be.

17 hours ago, mohearn said:

Played Las Positas in Livermore, shot high 80's. First time playing, made some mistakes and didn't warm up (at all) on a very cold morning. First shot I think felt like I was swinging inside a sleeping bag, went all of 30 yards!  Nice course, friendly folk along the way, got a birdie and finished with a couple pars.  I could get used to California golf. 20* back home.

@mohearn, you have been playing quite a bit in CA. Are you vacationing or did you move from "Upstate NY"?

Brian Kuehn

1 hour ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Up & down out of an 18th hole bunker for 79.  If we were in posting season, it would have been a differential of around 8.6

37 degrees, cloudy, slight breeze. Comfortable after walking the first 4-5 holes. The turf and greens were not frozen. The course played about as close to normal as a December round in the Mitten can be.

@mohearn, you have been playing quite a bit in CA. Are you vacationing or did you move from "Upstate NY"?

at 37* you get to drop 3 strokes (Rule 19.3f)

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

5 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Family, visiting, brought about half my clubs.  Have a few courses to try to get to, but pretty busy with stuff.  Sorta my off-season, so just getting to play in Dec is a bonus.  Someone suggested Callippe golf course, so if I can get away I'll play it and post the highlights. Was at Oakland metro earlier today, after an airport run, didn't play just hit balls, they have a grass driving range.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mike

13 hours ago, mohearn said:

Family, visiting, brought about half my clubs.  Have a few courses to try to get to, but pretty busy with stuff.  Sorta my off-season, so just getting to play in Dec is a bonus.  Someone suggested Callippe golf course, so if I can get away I'll play it and post the highlights. Was at Oakland metro earlier today, after an airport run, didn't play just hit balls, they have a grass driving range.

Pasatiempo isn't too far of a drive from the Bay Area 😀

I've heard Callippe is a nice course, but never played there, even though it is in my easy drive radius.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

89 from the gold tees at Minnesott today (42 / 47).  Temps in the 40’s when we started (my son was playing with me), winds out the SW 10-15 mph.  Started with par on holes 1,2,3. Bogies on 4 & 5.  Dbl on 6 and bogie, par, bogie to finish the  front.  The back started bogie and then came 11.  Needed a short pitch to get an up and down for par. Thinned the pitch across the green, second pitch thinned back across, third got it to stay on the green.  Finished the hole with triple bogie. Rest of the round was dbl, bogie, par, bogie, par, dbl and bogie.  Of the six pars, five were 1 putt up and downs.  Best part was that we got to play. 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Probably my last round of 2022, on Thursday (12/15/2022). Played Washtenaw Golf Club again and shot 77. Unlike Tuesday, I avoided bunkers with better iron play. I was the first one out at 10:30 and cruised.  Surprisingly to me, they were letting carts out. Too cool for me to ride.

It took me almost the entire 2022 season to birdie #13 for the “Away” Birdie Challenge. I had 1 birdie on, of course, the 13th hole.

See y’all in 2023 (at least for this thread).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Brian Kuehn

Back to back days at Minnesott.  Was asked to be part of the Sat morning best ball shootout. I was the “old man” of the foul as the balance of the foursome I played with were all about 10yrs my junior.   We played from the gold tees.  Since we were doing stoke play, it was on my own from tee to cup.  Shot 86 (44 / 42).  Hit 6 of 14 fairways, 3 GIR with another 3 nGIR. Putting is improving as had 33 putts total, had 3 holes with 3 putts.  Putt of the day was on par 3 14.  Had about a 35’ putt for birdie that had a good 3’ break in the last 10’.  Hit the line, pace was perfect only have it barely lip out to a 12” leave.  That one stung - but it let me know I was seeing the line. Still need to work on the approach game as I tend to underclub by one club.  Still a fun mid-December round. 

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Played in a simulator last week for first time, shot an 84.   Add probably 5 strokes or so being its obviously easier off a mat, basically my normal day out on the course.   Not looking for scores inside, just want to keep my swing throughout the winter.   Might even take lessons from the guy, definitely need help with my wedges, I don't take full swings, but my tempo gets off, especially at the end of this season,  and occasionally somehow hit and awful shank/45degree left shot with a severely open face.

California has so many great golf courses, Pasatiempo, Pacfic Grove, Blackhorse/Bayonet etc.  I didn't play any of those, I played Spring Valley in Milptitas. Was great, friendly place in a nice setting.  The pro told me they've been around since 1954 or so, so no doubt seen alot of changes in golf over those years. The longest tees are just a bit more than 6100 yds, so playing the tips is doable.  We just say "playing the tips" and no need to mention distance.

I only hit 2 GIR but putted from the fringe on a couple more, and scrambled nicely. Been working on my 5-12 foot putts and might have missed only 1 10 footer, making all the rest.  Finished 8 over at 78, which is a good score for me.  Driving superb, short game and putting good enough, but came up short on approach play. I think that when I'm on the range, even off grass, I'm really going fter the ball.  On course I'm swing maybe 90%.  I can feel the difference and see it in carry yardage, so something to be mindful of.  On the plus side, didn't lose a ball, never in trouble.  Reagarding driving, as an aside, since Nov 1st I've been doing 50 pushups per day, stronger, and it's showing up driving the ball.

The course is very walkable, and feels quite rural with no surrounding houses to deal with. I'd definitely go back at some point if I were in the Milpitas area.

20221220_092113_2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mike

Grandson called to see if we could book a tee time.  Told him I would check and Minnesott was open (actually their first day back open since the cold snap that started last Friday).  Had a 2 pm tee, but we got there a little early and was able to start closer to 1:30.  The course was basically deserted as temps were mid-to-upper 40’s so we were able to play at a decent pace.  Shot 88, but started +1 thru 4 (bogie-par-par-par).  Finished the front dbl-bogie-dbl-bogie-par for 43 on the front.  Tee shots on 7 and 8 resulted in tree kicks back toward the tee. Dbl on seven included a three putt (only of the side). Made for super long approach shots.  Back nine started bogie - bogie before dbl on the par 3 12th (only 3 putt of the side).  Bogie on 13, par on 14 and I thought things were going to be a strong finish like the start.  Dbl on 15 nixed.  Finished par - bogie - bogie.  Takeaways for the day - lots of up and down opportunities as there were 7 nGIR, just did not single putt for par.  Did keep putts under 36 with 33, 54 deg wedge was on as I was landing the ball within 6’ of the pin on average.  Best moment of the day was on 17 and my grandson spots something yellow on the pond….yes there was still ice on the pond there was a bright yellow ball on ice….

AB38427A-48C1-4A7F-B753-F501419529EE.jpeg

• Funny 1

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Played yesterday for the first time in a couple of weeks because of the cold snap.  Shot an 86 at Carolina Lakes.  It was a sub-par round with every facet of my game, didn't strike the ball well, chipped poorly, and I had 4 three putts with one four (!) putt.  There's always next round!  

• Thumbs Up 1

Shot an 80 here at the Bardmoor Golf and Tennis Club in Seminole Florida, which used to host the PGA/LPGA JC Penney Classic. Two birdies, but 3 lost balls in water hazards 😩
I flushed out my mid summer scores from GHIN on this trip and my index went from 6.2 to 7.5. I always hate starting up in the Spring in the cold, wet, soggy conditions with an index that has my best scores from the previous summer. It is also nice to be swinging the club in the sunshine when there is a bunch of snow on the ground back home.

Edited by Carl3

Played my 27th and final round this year on Thursday at Musgrove Mills. Their Oak tees are 72.3/155 and can be be a tough track. Definitely a second shot course! Some of the greens were frozen making putting and iron play a difficult task!

The Ugly - shot 44-42. Made an 8 on the tough par 4 #4 after a great drive. Carded a 7 on the par 5 9th after driving into the water; chunking 2 shots in a row; and missing 4’ putt after a nice 5th shot that I hit as planned. 

The Bad - after my drive rolled through the fairway on 11 my lie was so poor I should’ve pitched back to the fairway. Instead, I chunked it into the semi-frozen pond fronting the green. I made 2 three putts (2 and 15) from about 45-50’ on both holes. On 2, the green was frozen and could not convince myself to hit it hard on these traditionally fast greens. On 15, I let my mind wander while putting and left it 12’ short! 
On 1, after a drive in the fairway but a little too far right, I knew I needed to have a steep descent angle to hold the frozen green. Not steep enough and it landed in the middle and skipped over the back. Posted a 6 after an unplayable lie.

The Good - hit 11 fairways and 10 GIR! I haven’t been able to play much in Q4 due to holidays, weather and some family issues, and thought my driving might suffer but hit it great.  My iron play was spotty with several dreadful fat shots, I still hit 10 GIR and 3/4 par threes, with the 17th being almost pin high left of the green.

My putting was spotty, and I missed 2 birdie putts inside 6’! One final note. On the par 4 6th, I hit a great drive to the middle of the fairway leaving me about 90 yards to an elevated green, perhaps 30’ above me. Workers were mending the tiered bunkers fronting the right side of the green. I hit my approach as planned and almost made it in the fly and it rolled back 6’ below the hole.  All those guys clapped and cheered for my shot and watched me sink my birdie putt. I thanked them for their kindness. I don’t celebrate my good shots enough, and it was gratifying to celebrate with them!

• Thumbs Up 1