IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

This was Saturday, but I shot a 91 (on a par 66 course).  I was happy, played nice and relaxed and struck the ball well.  Highlight was a 1st hole 2 putt par (4); I've literally never made par on the 1st hole, and I hit a 165 yard 7 iron 2nd shot to about 8 feet.

That's my 2nd round in a row in the 90's and 4 of my last 5.  Something has clicked.  I had 46 putts, so that seems like where the most SV can be found. I'm thinking it's time to buy some sort of putting mat and get some living room reps in.  My issue is almost totally speed; I'm usually 50% off, probably 70% too hot 30% too slow.  I bet if I practice putting for a few months I can start challenging breaking 90.

• Like 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

109 - 54/55.  Not that good of a day, bright spot started with par on 1 and ended with par on 18.....total mess in between!  BTW - par on 18 was a first for me on this course.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

112 on the home course today, from the yellow tees.  Four really terrible holes, including two 9s and one four putt.  That's a point over my handicap and is the worst score I've posted in weeks.  Bladed a lot of chips.

Stats:

- 1 GIR

- 4 nGIR

- hit 4 fairways

- 2.28 putts per hole

Only 4/18 tee shots were non-poor.

Cobra F-Max Driver | Ping Karsten 3H, 4H, 5H | Titleist 690MB 5-PW | TaylorMade ATV 52* 56* 60* | Odyssey White Hot #1

40-44 back nine was a little lost to me. I started hitting the ball poorly. I still chipped and putted well, but the rest of the game went out the window. 84 was not a bad result for me though so I am happy. I had four lip outs for par as well. 

I got my game back today, although it didn’t start that way, +6 through four. Up and down from 150 yards on the fifth gave me a par. Three more pars and a double gave me 44 for the front.

The heat started to get to me on the back, and by the time we got to the 16th tee, I was +16. Three bogeys would give me 91. But I managed to come back again, and I parred all three holes, where par isn’t easy on any of the three, to shoot another 44 for 88. The guy I played with gave me a close match on the back nine, and be shot 87 despite going out in 39.

I made a ton of 4- and 5-footers, several for par. I can only recall two instances out of at least seven or eight where I missed. I hit eight fairways and seven greens. Overall, a solid round of golf. I’m playing nine tomorrow mid-morning, and another full 18 Wednesday. I feel confident that I can carry this play into those 27 holes. 

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Another 85 (44-41) yesterday. Developed a beginner's slice with my driver yesterday. Don't have any idea where that came from. I usually have a slight draw. Today, I'm not even going to think about golf. See what tomorrow brings.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

Still didn't break 80 this year, but I had my best nine so far this year.

44-37-81 

The 37 was with a double bogey. I hit all the other eight greens in regulation but I putted horribly, The one birdie was a 45 foot downhill, sidehill prayer. I missed four birdies inside 15 feet.

Bill M

80 (Par 71: +3, +6)

Fairways: 10/18

GIR: 11/18

Putts: 36

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Played wonderfully tee to green.  Once on the green, the putting was a bit shaky but I made enough to have a 5.5 differential at Pierce Lake (76).

Brian Kuehn

Shot a poor 56 on the front 9 of the home course.  Zero greens in regulation, only hit two fairways.  7 penalties.  On the other hand, putting was excellent.  All down in two, apart from two, which were down in one.  Also had a few good holes, where I thought about my shot zones and shadings, and played intelligently.

Then played my old course - and shot 107 for 36 over.  I felt as if I played well.  Only two penalties, and 51 in.  Putting started well, but then distance control went awry - maybe because it was getting dusk and perhaps the surface slowed down?  Hit five fairways (personal best) and 2 GIR.  Tried to be mindful of shot zones again, and play intelligently.  I felt as if I could have shaved three or four shots off this round, but 36 pretty decent for me - 5 below my current handicap, again.

Cobra F-Max Driver | Ping Karsten 3H, 4H, 5H | Titleist 690MB 5-PW | TaylorMade ATV 52* 56* 60* | Odyssey White Hot #1

96, 47/49, regular tuesday outing. 3- wood cost me 7 strokes.  I had no warm up, literally drove up to the first tee while the other three in my group were teeing off. Managed a bogey on the first hole.  Great drive on number two. Decision time. Hit the three and risk dunking it into the creek 100 yds ahead or layup.  3-wood, dunk in the creek.  If I had learned from that and left that club in the bag after that I could have broken 90. Live and learn.  

My bro and I played 9 this morning. My round was not great despite nine holes of no triples. Did have four doubles though, and only one par. 48. My bro didn’t play that well, but did have a par on the short sixth hole. There was only one huge difference between yesterday’s round and today’s.

The putts I said were dropping yesterday, they weren’t today. I left myself half a dozen 3-, 4- and 5-footers, and while I made all but two yesterday, I went 0-for-6 today. So putting could’ve been better.

I feel pretty good about my round tomorrow. We’re playing a somewhat new track, one that I’ve only played once. I’ve decided that my best bet is to stick with the blue/white combo tee (~6200 yards) versus the blues (~6500 yards). It’ll help that I’m riding tomorrow, because we’re teeing it up at 11:00 sharp, meaning we’ll be finishing between 2:30 and 3:00, right in the heat of the day. If I remember correctly, the course wasn’t even very walker-friendly.

• Like 1

WITB:

Well! A round of two halves!  Played with a friend, and my Dad, at a course I've only played once before.  Front 9 I shot 47, hit three GIR, made 3 pars, and had only one penalty stroke.  I could see breaking 100 within my sights!

Hole 10... absolute shocker.  Dog-leg left, with thick horrible rough all along the left.  Out of bounds down the right.  Almost no view of the fairway.  Tee tucked hard into the back left, alongside the rough.  I generally push/fade/slice my mid irons and above.  No space to hit to the right and come in from that side.  Very narrow gap down the right, avoiding out of bounds.  Anything less than 7 iron wouldn't get me to the corner, and anything other than a dead straight shot would be in horrible rough.  I decided to hit a 7i, reasoning that if everything came good, it would draw, and take me to the corner, with a long-ish approach shot, or easily achievable two shots into the green.

Hit the 7i, sliced it out of bounds.  Tried again, pulled it into the heavy rough.  Tried to play out of the rough, only to hit it deeper into the rough.  Finally got out of the rough, but had advanced  the ball about 120 yards, and still no sight of the green.  I won't bore you with the rest, but I had *TWELVE* shots on this hole.  Onto the 11th, and 3 off the tee.  Pretty shoddy back 9, with 9 penalties, one par.

So, finished on... you guessed it... 107!

My father and my friend were telling me to shut up, since I was crushing them on Stableford points, but I didn't care about that - I wanted my breaking 100 award!  In the end I finished on 42 points, which is my best ever score, and is consistent with me shooting mid 30s at present.  However, I'm feeling hopeful I can get under 100 soon.

• Administrator
2943581_o8iWCPGj.png

View this round on GAME GOLF

70, par 70. But course rating and slope is like 72.3/129, so a good differential.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My grandpa, brother and I played yesterday, and as usual, we predicted our final scores. Here’s what we came up with, with the tees we all played in parentheses:

ME: 45-45—90 (Blue/White Combo)

BRO: 55-50—105 (Red)

PAPA: 54-51—105 (Red)

I shot a 49-45 for 94. On the front nine, I couldn’t keep my tee shots in play and it cost me, but I made a double twice after a lost ball off the tee, so it could’ve been worse. But the back nine is where I found my game again. Only one lost ball on the back from a poor tee shot (the only really poor shot I hit on the back nine), with a par-bogey-par finish. The last hole was satisfying, because it’s a difficult, but not long, par-5.

My putting has been up-and-down this week. I’ve left myself a bunch of 3-to-5-footers this week, and I made all but one or two on Monday. Tuesday, I couldn’t get any of them to drop. Yesterday, I made probably half of them. I’ve hit the ball well all week, but putting has been the main decider for scoring for me.

My grandpa shot 54-51 for a 105, which matched his prediction exactly. My bro shot 58-58 for 116, eleven shots over his prediction of 55-50. He hit the ball decent, but alignment cost him at least three strokes a side. Whenever we guess our scores, we allow a five stroke margin (total score, not per side) for going over, leaving me barely inside the margin, four strokes over.

Last time we played, I was the only one of the three of us to make a birdie. This time, I was the only one to NOT make one, although I had a few good looks. My bro made one on the short par-5 15th after hitting the green in two, and my grandpa hit it within a yard on the 16th, redeeming himself after a short birdie miss on the previous hole.

I’ve also gotten word that despite COVID, we’re actually gonna have a golf season next spring! First practice is March 1, first match March 15, last match before regionals/states April 30. I’ve been waiting for a while to get that announcement. My brother needs some serious work if he’s gonna make the team. I want to get to the point where I’m breaking 45 consistently for nine holes by that point. We’ve got seven months. 

WITB:

So, I'm a little late with this post as I played these two rounds of golf for my birthday yesterday but here goes.

I've never had such see-saw rounds in my life.  Usually a good round for me is shooting in the 90's with one or two penalty strokes, my driver being on point, a few GIRs but mostly me missing the green on my approach shot, chipping on, and two putting for bogey.  Not so yesterday.

First round I played a course I've played about 10 times and shot a 90, with 5 penalty strokes on the front, of which 3 were with driver but still shooting a 49, helped in part by jarring a shot from 120 or so yards for an eagle.  Then, on the back, I amazingly shot a 41 with 4 GIR even though I was still wild with the big stick that included 2 penalty strokes (with driver, ofc).  My biggest ally, the putter.  I pretty much drained everything within 3-5 feet which is very uncommon for me.  Helped me get 4 pars, and 4 bogeys on the last 8 holes. 

I then played at a course I had never played before and shot a 96.  I once again played like crap on the front half putting up a 54, however, this time I only had 2 penalty strokes, one of which was off the tee with driver,  Much of the issue was terrible ball striking on some holes which led to my putting up no pars and only 4 bogeys.  Everything else on the front was double bogey or worse.  Then on the back, I really found my stride and started bombing my drives, keeping the ball in play and although my putting wasn't above average as it had been, I did 1 putt twice and I had 3 pars, 5 bogeys, and one double because I hit my approach shot with a 9 iron from the fairway into the woods and had to take a penalty. I was able to collect 3 GIRs and shot a 42.

Anyway ,here are the rounds.

2943607_4K5KhZkA.png

2943912_ViTJ0qV9.png

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Played this morning, 43-42 =85. My bad back requires that I hit some balls on the range before I hit the first tee. I was told when I paid my green fees that the range would be closed for another hour so I didn’t get a good warm up. My drives and long fairway shots suffered for the first several holes, but my irons, short game and putting kept me in the game. I complain about my lack of distance but playing from the senior tees makes up for it. The game is a lot more fun when you have a chance to reach the green in regulation, even if you don’t do it as often as you’d like.

Close to breaking 80 again, but I can't avoid unforced errors over 18 holes. Two misclubs and a three putt from 12 feet on the back nine cost me four shots.

40-43-83

Bill M