IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

A 77 (38-39) today. Same damn hole, same damn double bogey like yesterday. A little differently played, but still a double none the less.

Well, tomorrow is another day.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yesterday I played out of my shoes. Shot a 71 at the home course. Par 70. Opened with a bad drive. Par 5 and ended up sticking a wedge from 50 to save par which seemed to get me jump started. Bogey at 2. From 3-12 I played -1. Alternated bogey, birdie, bogey at 13-15. Then pars in. I hit 11 GIR. Was one of, if not possibly the best round of the year.

then today happened. Frost delay which pushed back our tee time. Chipped one at the first that ran off the front. Chipped on and 3 putted for a 7 to open the day. Didn’t make a par till the 8th. Just one of the ugliest days of golf I played all season. Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hyde the last 2 days.

Edited by Dunit507

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Lancaster Golf club in Lancaster SC. 

Today I tackled one of my nemesis courses. 48-48 split for a 96. I shot a 105 there last week. Ball striking was really good except for losing my driver midway through the round which cost me at least 5 strokes. My irons were crisp and if not for horrendous putting (37 putts even with holing out on one hole) I should have pressed breaking 90. I had 5 3 putts on easy pars. I’m not happy with the score but I’m feeling very good with what I’m seeing. Short game practice is needed. Chipping and putting is killing me. I’m absolutely loving my short irons right now. 

It was a (frustrating) tale of two nines yesterday on a beautiful course with tough undulating greens. 38-44---82

I played solidly on the front 9 posting a birdie against 3 bogeys for a 38. I then proceeded to hit two balls OB on number 10 in route to a nine on the hole... I somewhat recovered with a string of pars but then 4-putted a par 3 and closed with another double bogey on number 18 after finding the face of the greenside bunker for a what-could've-been 82. 

image.thumb.png.e3f2d12e1aaf99a0336d9497ac2ee144.png

78 (41-37) yesterday. Just couldn't get into the swing of things for the first 9. Maybe it was Saturday nights party. Settled down on the back 9.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

Yesterday my brother and I went out and played a course that we haven’t played since March. It’s a slightly easier course than my home course, so I was going into the round thinking I would easily shoot in the 80s. I didn’t, but I wasn’t that far off.

I didn’t hit the ball great on the front, but was able to hang in there and shoot 46. Two highlights:

•I chunked my tee shot on the par-5 fifth and didn’t even reach the dogleg, but I was still on the green in four. I rolled in my difficult six-footer for par. That was a confidence-builder, since I almost never play that hole well.

•I had about 145 in on the ninth hole, off a slight downhill lie. 8I again to four feet. This may have been the best shot of the day (my approaches on 17 and 18 are also solid contenders), but I unfortunately missed the birdie putt.

The back nine was better, and I actually walked to the seventeenth tee needing to birdie one of the last two holes to keep it under 90. Both were good opportunities, the 17th being a reachable par 5 (453 whites), the 18th a short par 4 (354 whites), but the seventeenth is the better chance.

My drive wasn’t quite long enough to have a good shot at the green, so I laid up with a 3/4 9I (there’s a small pond about 100 yards short of the green), which left me about 135 yards into the wind. I decided to hit a knockdown 8I, and it came off perfectly and settled eight feet out, exactly pin-high. Grazed the edge with my birdie putt, which left me with a tap-in par. Although I wanted the birdie, I was satisfied, because I hit three good shots to give myself a legit birdie chance, and I hit a good putt.

I wanted a three on the eighteenth hole, which would give me 89. My last drive found the last fairway, and I had about 140 to the pin. I went with the 8I again, full swing this time. As soon as I let it fly, I knew it was gonna be good. Twelve feet out. I knew I had another chance. However, I seemed to forget that putts from above the hole on this particular green tend to slide quite a bit if you missed it long. I had the line perfectly, but I gave it too much gas, and it rolled past and just kept on rolling until I had a longish par putt. I lined up my eight-foot par putt and missed it, so I tapped in for an ugly three-putt bogey to finish at 91. With the exception of that three-putt, I played the last two holes very well.

For some reason during this round, and it’s not because of my fade, I had a tendency to lose my iron shots to the right, which was frustrating because that isn’t normal for me. I didn’t hit them poorly at all, I just pushed them a bit. 

My brother played his first full eighteen in about three months, and he was doing pretty well until he pulled a muscle in his leg on the 14th tee. I still don’t know how that happened. I thought he was gonna quit right there, but he didn’t. He battled on, and managed to hang in there until the 17th. After he putted out, he told me he was done. So he sat out the last hole and watched me play it. 

Im probably only gonna play one more time before Saturday, which is when I’m playing my “birthday round”. I mentioned on this forum about this time last week that I was playing Lonnie Poole, but my dad went on the website last Friday, and the earliest tee time we could’ve gotten was around 2:30, meaning, because it’s typically a busy course, we probably weren’t going to get all 18 holes in. 

So I looked on the list of courses I made just in case we couldn’t play Lonnie Poole, and the course that stuck out to me the most was UNC Finley. I remember when I was in middle school, I had a friend who played there a lot, and he said it was a great course. We were able to get a tee time there, for 11:24. I’m looking forward to it!

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Played a nearby muni course today.  Last time there - holes 15-17 were underwater (drainage issues) so we were not able to do a full round.  Today the course was back to normal and funny thing, fairways were dry and the ball loved to roll out!  The fronts of the greens were mush, plug the ball sticky.  Made for approach shots at the front of the green tricky because too steep a landing and you were rolling no where.  For a guy who just starting to consistently shoot in the 90's it made attacking the greens more challenging.  Keep thinking about how in LSW, to aim for the big area of the green and not hunt flags.  To be honest, I had a blast with the 50* wedge as I was putting the ball exactly where I saw it landing. 

Overall - cannot complain shot a 96 (48/48), gold tees (translates to around 6100yds).  Only one triple, NO SNOW MEN!, but way too many doubles to overcome.  All in all drives were some of my best ever, with them either being on fairway or just off enough the S20 saw them as in the rough.  That's okay.  Not a bad day putting, still had some 3 putts but it was me not the putter or the greens which were reasonably fast.  Would love to play this one again soon, its just over an hour away so not too bad a drive.  Thinking about taking the missus there as she is saying she is ready to go play a round. 

image.thumb.png.0115f71adea6b05205e8ff406eabf5ab.png

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Played golf with my father for his 80th birthday. Played pretty well, only hit 4 fairways, but I missed 8 others by less than 2 paces. It was my second multiple eagle round this month, I lipped out a third eagle on the short par 4 6th hole. Overall, played well considering it was just a fun round with nothing on the line.

145075014_ScreenShot2020-10-21at11_53_22AM.thumb.png.b4614868fda72fd23375d59bf2e1419a.png

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Let's just say that the golf was secondary as we got the old foursome back together again.

The snowbirds returned this week, and we finally got our normal Wednesday morning foursome together. Among the banter, ribbing, and catching up, I don't think any of us were looking at scoring exceptionally well.

For 4-5 handicappers, the front nine scores were 41, 44, 44, 50. We then continued to the back nine.

We get to the par 3, 11th hole. The first guy hits it OB, and re-tees. Hits it into the waste area. Second guy gets up there and hits it left of the green. Third guy hits and it's heading straight for the pin. We can see his ball, probably a few inches from the pin. Now it's my turn. I hit a screaming shot that lands just short of the green and bounces toward the pin. hit's the ball near the hole, which deflects mine into the cup for a hole-in-one.

My 5th career hole-in-one.

The rest of the round was uneventful, carding scores of 83, 83, 83, and 97.

• Like 1

My brother and I played five holes today after doing some short game work on the practice green (we also did an eighteen-hole up-and-down contest, and he beat me by five). We played holes 1, 2 and 3, then hopped over to the nearby 6th tee and played 6 and 7, then walked to the clubhouse from there. 

I bogeyed the first hole after making an eight-footer, then parred the next three holes, hitting all three greens. My drives on 2 and 6 were bombs, and I had 100 in on the second hole, 65 in on the sixth. I bogeyed the par-4 seventh, which was our last hole. My total was +2 for the five holes. I hit the ball great for those five holes, some of the best I’ve had in a while! This practice session was also one of the most productive I’ve had.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Today was an interesting day - shot my lowest front nine ever at 41!  3 pars, 4 bogies, 1 double and 1 birdie.  Drives were consistently in the fairsways, putts were falling, irons were going true. The back nine was blissful as I finished there with a 50.  The gears slipped a little as I began to fat so some fairways and chunk the irons.  Still to leave there with a 91 for the day, I felt really good.  My son was right there with me at 96.  Today was interesting in that I began to see the potential of really good scores on the horizon.  

image.thumb.png.1da248399674280b6b0e8b86aec429cc.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

20 hours ago, WillieT said:

Today was an interesting day - shot my lowest front nine ever at 41!  3 pars, 4 bogies, 1 double and 1 birdie.  Drives were consistently in the fairsways, putts were falling, irons were going true. The back nine was blissful as I finished there with a 50.  The gears slipped a little as I began to fat so some fairways and chunk the irons.  Still to leave there with a 91 for the day, I felt really good.  My son was right there with me at 96.  Today was interesting in that I began to see the potential of really good scores on the horizon.  

image.thumb.png.1da248399674280b6b0e8b86aec429cc.png

Congrats on the low 9! Do you have one of the Garmin golf watches? I have the S62 myself and love it. I added the club sensor to my putter and really like not having to enter my putts now. 

3 minutes ago, chicub15 said:

Congrats on the low 9! Do you have one of the Garmin golf watches? I have the S62 myself and love it. I added the club sensor to my putter and really like not having to enter my putts now. 

I have the Approach S20.   I really like it for giving distances.  I am thinking about getting the sensor for the putter as it does mean having to go back and enter them in after the round.  However - I do it anyway as I like to document which clubs I am using.  Has helped me to see "mentally" catalogue typical distances for a given "loft".  I tend to think I play a 50* degree from here to here, a 25* from here to here, etc.    

• Like 1

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Shot 93 today (6300, 70.3/126). Actually the best score I have had at Houston National. Wide fairways so only two lost balls all day, but if you miss a fairway you are on some large fake mounds (typical Von Hagge...) and it makes advancing the ball tough at times. To be honest though, today the flat stick let me down. Three 3-putts from around 20 feet and in. Ugh. A good note was my wedge game. My friend and usual playing partner said it was the best he has seen me pitch the ball. Haven’t broken 90 in a while...need to do that another time or two this year to end on a good note!

Was windy today, and didn't get above 50 F during my round. Played the short course (par 71 cr 63) and shot an 83 (43-40). Hit the ball reasonably well most of the day. Missed all birdie putts, of which I had 4 that I would consider reasonably makeable (within 15 feet or so), including stuffing it to 3.5 ft on 18, only to miss on the low side.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Had a group of college friends together for a little 2 on 2 friendly competition. We all made bogey on 1. On 2 there is a little pond short left of the green. My partner hit into the hazard. Ball on the edge of the water. He goes in after it, where the water has receded and left a muddy edge. Dude goes into the mud waist deep. Shoe came off. Fell on his face. Literally worried that he was not going to get out. It’s 50 degrees and dude is covered in mud, wet. Needless to say I had to drive him back up to his car and that was the end of his day. 

so we played individual for the day. On 15 holes I was 4 over par. On the other 3 holes, thanks to a pair of doubles and a triple I was 7 over. 11 over for the round is one of the first times I failed to break 80 for a round in a while. Overall for the day I didn’t play bad but those 3 holes were just ugly.

6. I hit a weak drive right on a hill, awkward lie. Couldn’t get a good stance. Chunk my shot. My 3rd was from 75 and I left that short. Chip on for 4 and 2 putts for a double 6.

13. 8 iron deep left. Chip on and 3 putt for a double

14. my 6 iron off the tee layup I chunk into the water. Haven’t hit a ball off the tee out of play all season here. Drop from 230 out up hill. Hit 3 wood and lucky to not be OB left. Barely in play and not a good stance with tree in my backswing. Leave that short of the green. Chip that on and 2 putt for a 7. 

Did drive one onto the fringe at 8 today and had a putt at eagle on the hole for 1st time all year so managed an easy birdie there. Eagle lipped out. Would have been a nice boost considering the double at 6 and then 3 putt bogey at 7. Hit 10 GIR which is about where I would normally be any given day. Few more putts than normal but didn’t putt awful. If I could just have those 3 holes back!

Edited by Dunit507

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Another cold day where it didn't get above 50 during the round. Played the outside (Hills at Community) 45-46-91. 4 pars offset by 4 doubles and a triple, the rest being bogeys. Only two 7s on the card which is good by me, just can't get back into the 80s. Iron play was as good as yesterday, if not better. Driver was keeping the ball in play which helps too. Just some poor 3 wood shots that really hurt me, one being a full top that went 5 yards in front of me. Glad that Ohio weather hasn't shut me down all the way yet. This also marked my 60th round played at my home courses for the year. I've probably played 80 total though because my courses were closed for the first 2 months of Covid.

• Like 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

I have just reentered the game  in Sept. after a 22 yr hiatus. I have found the clubs I am going to stick with for a while whilst I figure out how well I will end up striking the ball. Today I played two balls off every tee, then hit two from the one I picked, etc. Still shot an 84 on a little 6300 yard track because I have only played 1 previous round with these irons, and (Mainly) my touch and feel around the greens, and especially putting need a lot of work. Mid round I changed the setting on my Taylormade SLDR driver to dead neutral (no, I didn't take a penalty for that). My worst issue with reentering the game as an old wound ball player seems to be finding a ball I like. Well, today under a leaf  I found a Bridgestone B XS with with a lot of what I have been missing with the balls they seem to make today. It was fairly easy to work, but more importantly, it had a nice, active and predictive response to spin imparted with the money clubs on shots under a full swing. I'm going to have to investigate the Bridgestone line further. The Titleist Pro V my coworkers play and got me to try was alright, I could jerk the string on full shots, but for me, it wasn't it for finesse spin on less than full shots.

• Like 1