IGNORED

Easy to hit hybrid and forgiving

Hazza
Note: This thread is 3092 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Does it exist? 

I'm looking for a hybrid to go between my 17 degree 4 wood and 25 degree 5 iron. 

A club between 20 and 22 degrees would seem appropriate but what's out there, preferably used, that gets the ball up well, can hit from the rough and the fairway and offers good forgiveness. 

I've heard good things about Adams Idea Pro but there's so many models, also good things about cobra bafflers but again lots of models, any specifics people can help me with?

Thanks for your time

My golf club set is Adams Speedline and it has a great 5 hybrid.  I purchased a 19 degree Adams Super S 3 Hybrid, the head is bigger, more like a fairway wood but it is still very good at getting the ball up high and it plays well out of the rough unless it is really dug in.  I would look at what club head is comfortable for you between their lines if go that route.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Most hybrids are pretty forgiving. Only way to know what you'll like is to try a few out.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

20 minutes ago, Gator Hazard said:

My golf club set is Adams Speedline and it has a great 5 hybrid.  I purchased a 19 degree Adams Super S 3 Hybrid, the head is bigger, more like a fairway wood but it is still very good at getting the ball up high and it plays well out of the rough unless it is really dug in.  I would look at what club head is comfortable for you between their lines if go that route.

This what I mean, the speed line range, straight away there is the s, the ls and the xtd. Is there a way to find out the differences between them? 

The xtd line is considered the better quality club. I have the Speedline super S fairway  woods and for me they performed very similar to the xtds. You may find the same if you test the hybrids against each. I have RBZ hybrids and really like them if your looking for another option.

DRIVER- Tour Edge EXS 220
3W- Adams Tight Lies 2
Hybrids- Cobra F8 19 *

Utility- Sub 70 699U #4
Irons - Sub 70 739 5-PW
Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54, 58
Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft #11

Ball- Titleist DT Trufeel

Hybrids are forgiving, but many models feature quite a bit of offset in the standard (non-pro) head. Lots of offset and a slightly closed face can lead to complaints that a hybrid is a "hook machine" by people who square up the clubface well on their own.

I played with Adams V4 hybrids - mainly the 4H - for two seasons, but found I was missing left when I was otherwise swinging well. A bit too much offset, and the shaft was only 60 grams.

Late this summer I stumbled onto the Cobra Fly-Z hybrids: A square face, and a 75-gram shaft in an A-flex (I didn't know such combinations existed). I have the 3-4H version set at 22* (4H loft). I just have better tempo and cleaner hits with it than the Adams V4.

The 75-gram shaft brings to mind @Mr. Desmond 's comments in a separate thread on fairway woods. He suggested ordering heavier and somewhat shorter shafts on higher-lofted fairway woods to increase stability of shots.

• Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I got a used Mizuno hi-fli 20* and discovered after purchase that it was 'draw bias'. But I still hit it (relatively consistently) straight and hi and low like my irons. I do set up with the face slightly open at address, though.

Kevin

Good thread, tough topic.

As @WUTiger implied/inferred?, it's tough to find a hybrid with which one is comfortable - too much offset, not enough forgiveness. At $129 on their site, I'd definitely check out the Cobra FlyZ  - appears to be a nice head with a quality shaft. I like a little more roundness in the sole for versatility, but when one is talking 22 degrees, I just want something that works consistently and is relatively long. I'd also take a look at the Callaway XR.  But hybrids at 22 or less loft are a tough ticket for me in terms of consistency. I almost prefer a 40.5-41 inch 9 wood at 75-80g shaft, or a 41.5 inch 75g 7 wood. My transition may be smoother with a fairway.

The fact is the 21-25 clubs are the most troublesome in my bag. I can hit a 5i but I want something longer and higher. I keep on trying a 7 wd, 9 wd, 22H or 25H in that area to fill one hole! lol. Depends on the course, conditions, and tees, too.

My favorite club in the bag is, believe it or not, a XR 28 Hybrid w Recoil 460 Stiff -- magic combo -- have the same shaft now in the 22 and 25H to see if they have something close to it. I'd love it if the XR 22 fills the ticket - makes things simplar -- looking for a range of 185-195 yd in that club.

I suggest you collect a couple of clubs in the 22-24 loft range (fairway or hybrid) and get comfy with one of them.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

10 hours ago, WUTiger said:

Hybrids are forgiving, but many models feature quite a bit of offset in the standard (non-pro) head. Lots of offset and a slightly closed face can lead to complaints that a hybrid is a "hook machine" by people who square up the clubface well on their own.

I don't find that to be true with hybrids. Most hybrids today are more fairway wood in design and have very little to no offset. If you are talking about a long iron replacement hybrid like the Adams DHY hybrid then they can have more offset. Most companies are not making anything like that anymore. Most companies are making just chunkier long irons, like the Mizuno H5 irons. 

14 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

Most hybrids are pretty forgiving. Only way to know what you'll like is to try a few out.

Pretty much this. 

I recommend Titliest hybrids. They have the best combination of size, design, and forgiveness. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Think 's for all the replies. Lots of options so far. Looking at the club test the 588 did pretty well. No surprise to see Adams on top but the Nike Covert ranking pretty high too. 

What I have found is a lot of hybrids with stiff shafts but pretty sure a regular would be better for me. 

I use the Ping G30 4H which is 22 degrees. Because of the flat sole, it's superb off the fairway which is just as well as I don't carry any fairway woods and this is the next club after my driver. The club has a soft regular shaft which suits my swing and I also had it cut down by an inch as I'm only 5 feet 5 in my golf shoes. It's very square with very little offset and is easy to get airborne.

Stuart

22 hours ago, Hazza said:

Does it exist? 

I'm looking for a hybrid to go between my 17 degree 4 wood and 25 degree 5 iron. 

A club between 20 and 22 degrees would seem appropriate but what's out there, preferably used, that gets the ball up well, can hit from the rough and the fairway and offers good forgiveness. 

I've heard good things about Adams Idea Pro but there's so many models, also good things about cobra bafflers but again lots of models, any specifics people can help me with?

Thanks for your time

If you're looking for easy to hit and forgiving I wouldn't go with the Idea Pro, those are for single digit golfers.

Callaway XR, TaylorMade AeroBurner, PING G30 would be good ones to take a look at.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

There are several hybrids which are adjustable.  The 4H I have is one of those "hook machines".  I found a Cleveland Baffler (fixed head) and a Nickent (adjustable) on clearance.  I wish I would have gotten the Nickent instead of the Cleveland just for the adjustability.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I play Titleist 915H's - 21 and 24 - and find them really forgiving and they have good adjustability options so you can dial it in to suit your swing.  Definitely worth a try as long as you're looking.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Picked up a used Callaway XHot Pro 16* Hybrid a few weeks ago. I don't fancy myself a "better player" but I tend to hook my hybrids and the Pro model was just what the doctor ordered. I will probably drop my 3 wood for this baby. It's probably only 10 yards shorter off the tee but sooooo easy to hit and pretty straight for a 200+ yd club

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

just remember hybrids are long shafted clubs - they're not "easy" to hit.    Some may find them "easier" than a long iron, but it's relative.    Hybrids are not magic - just don't set your expectations too high - I stuggle like hell with hybrids sometimes, but most of the time, they suit me.    Biggest thing is that they come in all sorts of shapes and sizes ... gotta find one that suits your eye and you like the looks of - otherwise, you'll never get confidence with it...

• Upvote 1

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Note: This thread is 3092 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!