IGNORED

World Handicap System Now Out (2020)

iacas

After reading this, I actually have a thought....

What if only a few people with handicaps play the course on any given day.   I'm believing that the averages scores will affect the PCC adjustment, no?    Worse case, only one player with a handicap plays the course, does his score get adjusted, even if he plays in Caddyshack rain and thunder?

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
45 minutes ago, reidsou said:

Thanks for the response. Do you know what the algorithm is? 

It’s not being made public.

19 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

After reading this, I actually have a thought....

What if only a few people with handicaps play the course on any given day.   I'm believing that the averages scores will affect the PCC adjustment, no?    Worse case, only one player with a handicap plays the course, does his score get adjusted, even if he plays in Caddyshack rain and thunder?

Minimum of eight scores. And they’d have to be pretty far off of normal to warrant an adjustment.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

It’s not being made public.

This is the only problem I have with the new system. I will no longer be able to self calculate, as far as I can tell.

• Informative 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

1 minute ago, Bonvivant said:

This is the only problem I have with the new system. I will no longer be able to self calculate, as far as I can tell.

I don't believe from what I've read that it will make that significant of a difference.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

2 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I don't believe from what I've read that it will make that significant of a difference.

Good to know. I am not that worried about it being perfect, but just a very good estimation. I guess when people ask me I'll just say I'm an (x) in 2019 format, I suppose.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

True. But you can look it up the next day.

8 hours ago, reidsou said:

This is where the power of TST comes into play! 

No. I could know the formula and I wouldn’t share it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 hours ago, RemyM said:

The other interesting thing is the stroke allocation for determining where you get your strokes for net double bogey will come from the last rating done at the course, so the stroke allocations on scorecards are no longer accurate for the handicap system.  They did say that the new app will allow hole by hole entry that will show the correct strokes.  Interesting thing in the CGA documentation that multiple PCC adjustments will indicate that a course may need to be re-rated.  I have found a big inconstancy in course ratings in my opinion.

That’s a lazy course.  Scorecards should be updated as soon as a course is re-rated.  I understand there is a cost involved, but it can be planned for, and not doing so is irresponsible.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

18 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

Oh Bon... where in the world is your attention span.  We used to wait 15 days to see our new handicap... now 1 day is too long?  ☺️ [Please note smiley face]

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

For our members, I'm trying to find a document that describes how each player's scoring record will be processed to produce their first WHS revision on January 1st. Corresponded with the USGA who said there isn't one. 

Here's what I've pieced together about what our members will see different on WHS day one:

1. Index will be the average of the best 8 of 20 differentials instead of the best 10 times 0.96. (Or if they have less than 20 scores, see the WHS rules.)

2. If the player's index was at the maximum index it will likely increase, sometimes significantly. The new maximum is 54.0. 

3. They will receive the new "Low Handicap Index" - their lowest index during the previous 365 day period. 

4. Their tournament scoring record will be dropped and past scores will no longer be designated as tournament ("T"). Best two tournament scores will not be part of the revision. 

5. If their handicap Index was, as of the transition to WHS, Reduced (shown by an "R") by exceptional tournament scores, their index will likely increase because the reduction will no longer be applied. 

33 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

look at the link in post #226.   @DaveP043 provided the links which help explain some of the changes in detail.

Yes, thanks. That is information I'm aware of.

I'm trying to put together a specific list of what our members will see different in the January 1st handicap revision. Everything that I have found is about how the WHS will work going forward, nothing about the specifics of the conversion from the current system. 

There is room for confusion. For example, one post on another forum said that old scores will be processed for Exception Score Reduction (ESR). The reply from the USGA said that is not the case. 

25 minutes ago, reidsou said:

Yes, thanks. That is information I'm aware of.

I'm trying to put together a specific list of what our members will see different in the January 1st handicap revision. Everything that I have found is about how the WHS will work going forward, nothing about the specifics of the conversion from the current system. 

There is room for confusion. For example, one post on another forum said that old scores will be processed for Exception Score Reduction (ESR). The reply from the USGA said that is not the case. 

Although there will be differences in the calculations, with the addition of the PCC, the changes to exceptional score influences, daily revisions, to me the single biggest change for most people in the US will be the introduction of net double bogey as the maximum hole score.  If you can get your members to understand that, I believe you'll have done the most important thing you can do.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

Although there will be differences in the calculations, with the addition of the PCC, the changes to exceptional score influences, daily revisions, to me the single biggest change for most people in the US will be the introduction of net double bogey as the maximum hole score.  If you can get your members to understand that, I believe you'll have done the most important thing you can do.

3 hours ago, reidsou said:

For our members, I'm trying to find a document that describes how each player's scoring record will be processed to produce their first WHS revision on January 1st. Corresponded with the USGA who said there isn't one. 

Here's what I've pieced together about what our members will see different on WHS day one:

1. Index will be the average of the best 8 of 20 differentials instead of the best 10 times 0.96. (Or if they have less than 20 scores, see the WHS rules.)

2. If the player's index was at the maximum index it will likely increase, sometimes significantly. The new maximum is 54.0. 

3. They will receive the new "Low Handicap Index" - their lowest index during the previous 365 day period. 

4. Their tournament scoring record will be dropped and past scores will no longer be designated as tournament ("T"). Best two tournament scores will not be part of the revision. 

5. If their handicap Index was, as of the transition to WHS, Reduced (shown by an "R") by exceptional tournament scores, their index will likely increase because the reduction will no longer be applied. 

FYI. This is slightly incorrect. Point #3 should read:

3. Anyone with 20 scores will receive their first Low Handicap Index, which will be the same as their first WHS Index. 

Also, regarding point #4, there will be "C" (competition) scores. Status as a C score will not affect index calculation, but is available for committee reference. Unclear whether "T" scores will become "C" scores. 

1 hour ago, reidsou said:

Also, regarding point #4, there will be "C" (competition) scores. Status as a C score will not affect index calculation, but is available for committee reference. Unclear whether "T" scores will become "C" scores. 

Unlike the previous Handicap Manual, there is no specific guidance given for what could be defined as a Competition Score.  Left up to me, I'd broaden the definition a bit beyond what are currently defined as T Scores.  While the new Rules suggest that the different score types will be defined by the Authorized Association, it would make sense if they were further clarified by each Club's Handicap Committee.  After all, those type designations are there to help the Handicap Committee.

• Upvote 1
  • Informative 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

On 12/2/2019 at 2:05 PM, reidsou said:

FYI. This is slightly incorrect. Point #3 should read:

3. Anyone with 20 scores will receive their first Low Handicap Index, which will be the same as their first WHS Index.

Where is your club located?  Are you the Handicap Chairman?

As handicap chairman for our Michigan club, I have the luxury of an inactive season; most of our members are not posting scores until April.  They seem to be okay with my statement that for virtually all of them, the handicap changes will have little affect on their index. You have an unusual group of golfers with the concern over all the details.

Brian Kuehn

6 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Where is your club located?  Are you the Handicap Chairman?

As handicap chairman for our Michigan club, I have the luxury of an inactive season; most of our members are not posting scores until April.  They seem to be okay with my statement that for virtually all of them, the handicap changes will have little affect on their index. You have an unusual group of golfers with the concern over all the details.

I'm in western Washington. Our active season begins again on March 1st, but members play all year. 

Would like to give them a heads up about what will be different in the new handicap revision they receive on January 1. You are probably right that most won't care though.