IGNORED

Where Is Your Next Golf Trip Going to Be?

Smidd4

I think around the time the playoffs start, and after my club has had our club championship, I'll get back out to the Palm Desert area.  There are a few courses I really want to play that are suddenly more convenient.  SilverRock and Eagle Falls are on my radar right now;  I want to play the Mission Hills Pete Dye again, perhaps the Mission Hills Gary Player too.   I should figure out what's up with Heritage Palms, I like that course.

I might try to play Morongo Golf Club on my way out there.  Some summers they even have 36 hole deals. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

I think around the time the playoffs start, and after my club has had our club championship, I'll get back out to the Palm Desert area.  There are a few courses I really want to play that are suddenly more convenient.  SilverRock and Eagle Falls are on my radar right now;  I want to play the Mission Hills Pete Dye again, perhaps the Mission Hills Gary Player too.   I should figure out what's up with Heritage Palms, I like that course.

I might try to play Morongo Golf Club on my way out there.  Some summers they even have 36 hole deals. 

If you're in that area, I'd recommend Rams Hill in Borrego Springs, we had a great time there last time we visited.  

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

If you're in that area, I'd recommend Rams Hill in Borrego Springs, we had a great time there last time we visited.  

That place looks amazing.  It's closed for summer for some reason (I can guess the reason), but I'll have to give it a try when they reopen.

• 1 month later...

I'm planning a trip down to Torrey Pines in November with a buddy of mine. It's my first golf trip outside of my region. I think the North course is the one that has hosted the US Open and we're playing that one twice and the South course once. 

45 minutes ago, PSherrard01 said:

I'm planning a trip down to Torrey Pines in November with a buddy of mine. It's my first golf trip outside of my region. I think the North course is the one that has hosted the US Open and we're playing that one twice and the South course once. 

Actually, it's the South course that has hosted the US open. The tougher of the two.

My next trip will be my annual Thanksgiving visit to the Pinehurst area.  I'm expanding it this year, going for a week with 3 other guys from my home club.  After that, my wife will join me for the week of Thanksgiving.  Two full weeks at Talamore!

• Like 1

La Quinta area next week.   Eagle Falls and Silver Rock are on my list to try to play while I'm there.  Unclear if Heritage Palms has reopened or not;  if it has, I'd like to play there again.  Time permitting, I might try to get to Mission Hills and play either Gary Player (never have played that course) or Pete Dye (which I used to play on my birthday every year but have missed three years in a row now).  I'm optimistic for good weather for this trip. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm finally going to go on vacation this next summer and I'll probably go to Bandon Dunes and then continue up into northern Idaho and play Couer De Alene again and while up there finish my brothers wishes and put his ashes in lake Couer De Alene.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We normally go in November to Myrtle Beach for 4 or 5 rounds of golf. Because my golfing partner cannot get away in November we are going in October. Since we are in the Lansing, Michigan area. This year with the good weather we are planning to go to southern Indiana. We are leaving Sunday October 17th. Saves many hours of driving.

• 4 weeks later...

Looking at the week between Christmas and NYE in Napa, SF and Monterey. Probably have time for 3 rounds and immediately thought of Pacific Grove and Bayonet/Black Horse. Is there a Napa course that is can't miss that won't cost a fortune, or an SF course that to hit in the early afternoon as part of drive down to Monterey anyone can recommend? This won't be a Pebble or Olympic type of trip, but is there a "hidden gem" that would keep us from a stopover at Gearhart?

I’ve played most of the public accessible courses in Napa. The two Silverado courses are very nice but not particularly noteworthy. Chardonnay is probably the best reasonably priced course in the area. Silverado will probably cost 2x (if not more) Chardonnay and I’m not sure it was worth it.

9 hours ago, Chris Brooks said:

I’ve played most of the public accessible courses in Napa. The two Silverado courses are very nice but not particularly noteworthy. Chardonnay is probably the best reasonably priced course in the area. Silverado will probably cost 2x (if not more) Chardonnay and I’m not sure it was worth it.

Thank you Chris. Those were two I was considering.

On 11/5/2021 at 11:53 PM, KMP said:

Looking at the week between Christmas and NYE in Napa, SF and Monterey. Probably have time for 3 rounds and immediately thought of Pacific Grove and Bayonet/Black Horse. Is there a Napa course that is can't miss that won't cost a fortune, or an SF course that to hit in the early afternoon as part of drive down to Monterey anyone can recommend? This won't be a Pebble or Olympic type of trip, but is there a "hidden gem" that would keep us from a stopover at Gearhart?

Napa GC at Kennedy park may be an option, l haven't played there in years and conditions may be or not be an issue considering how much rain has fallen, if I remember well enough the course has a couple holes that don't drain well but they may have fixed it already. As far as course challenge this course was used for qualifying for the Kaiser open back in the 60's and 70's if memory serves me right. I think it's right around 6800 yards so back then this was considered a good test.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, flopster said:

Napa GC at Kennedy park may be an option,

I played there last year. Like a lot of muni courses it is a great layout that suffers from poor maintenance. Worth a play if you are going to be there for a few days, but it wouldn’t be my first choice.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/10/2021 at 3:35 AM, Chris Brooks said:

I played there last year. Like a lot of muni courses it is a great layout that suffers from poor maintenance. Worth a play if you are going to be there for a few days, but it wouldn’t be my first choice.

Yeah I was afraid of that, well Yocha Dehi may work but it's probably about an hour north from napa.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Friend has set up a couples trip to Phoenix/Scottsdale mid March , my 1st time in AZ. Playing Longbow, Desert Canyon, Wickenburg Ranch, Gold Canyon Dinosaur, and Sunridge Canyon.  Wife and I are leaving 2 days early, staying in Flagstaff to be close to the GrCanyon and Sedona, then Sedona again for a no-golf-day mid week with the group, then staying an extra day for Taliesin and areas east. Hoping to do some day hiking/sightseeing. Anything off-the-beaten-tourist-path that is a must-see?  Also, considering taking NO balls to save travel weight and buying once there. Is that nuts?